Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748688

Subject: "They Cloned Tyrone (Taylor, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Sun Jul-23-23 09:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"They Cloned Tyrone (Taylor, 2023)"

My favorite thing John Boyega's done since Attack the Block. All three leads were fantastic as are the supporting cast and even the bit players. It's funny as hell and infinitely quotable. It does some fresh stuff with the conspiracy plot premise we've seen in some incarnation or another in movies like Black Dynamite.

My only real knock is that it's a little long.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Felt like a tighter more succinct Sorry To Bother You
Jul 23rd 2023
I don't think it's wrong at all
Jul 23rd 2023
      The movies are similar
Jul 24th 2023
           I think Sorry to Bother You is a better film
Jul 29th 2023
           I think Sorry to Bother You is a better film
Jul 29th 2023
Loved it and I agree right here
Jul 23rd 2023
Really well done...I loved it
Aug 02nd 2023
RE: YES in regards to your point about the child!!!
Aug 02nd 2023

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Sun Jul-23-23 04:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Felt like a tighter more succinct Sorry To Bother You"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it wrong to compare the two movies? Hope to see this writer/director do more work in this vein.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Sun Jul-23-23 04:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't think it's wrong at all"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Jul-23-23 04:46 PM by navajo joe

in fact, there is a lot to compare/contrast and would work well as a double-feature. Seeing/examining trends in storytelling and what they say about our collective imagination has plenty of value.

I'm actually disappointed I blanked on STBY in my original post.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Mon Jul-24-23 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "The movies are similar"
In response to Reply # 2

but different enough to tone that I felt somewhat wrong in comparing the two. Sorry to Bother You felt a bit more indie and less grounded in reality compared to They Cloned Tyrone, so while they stray the same kind of major plot points, the style of the two movies aren't the same.

Pretty cool to see Netflix give this movie a shot and for Amazon to give Boots Riley the chance to tell their collective stories though.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Sat Jul-29-23 06:05 AM

5. "I think Sorry to Bother You is a better film"
In response to Reply # 4

I did think of Sorry to Bother You immediately while watching this film but I found that film to be more realistic and tighter storytelling.

Tighter storytelling is easy because Tyrone felt very long but I know I might loose you all saying StBY was more realistic even with the horsepeople but the characters in StBY fealt more like real people in a surreal situation but, but despite great performances, I never felt like Jamie Fox was really a pimp or Teyonna was really a ho. I also felt like the filmmakers vision of the hood was this caricature.

I know StBY lost a lot of people in the 3rd act but I think that's because it felt so real up to that point. This film was absurd (in a good way) from near the beginning.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Sat Jul-29-23 06:11 AM

6. "I think Sorry to Bother You is a better film"
In response to Reply # 4

I did think of Sorry to Bother You immediately while watching this film but I found that film to be more realistic and tighter storytelling.

Tighter storytelling is easy because Tyrone felt very long but I know I might loose you all saying StBY was more realistic even with the horsepeople but the characters in StBY felt more like real people in a surreal situation but, but despite great performances, I never felt like Jamie Fox was really a pimp or Teyonna was really a ho. I also felt like the filmmakers vision of the hood and people living in it was this exaggerated caricature.

I know StBY lost a lot of people in the 3rd act but I think that's because it felt so real up to that point. This film was absurd (in a good way) from near the beginning.

Im still processing Tyrone but I think sorry to bother you is the more profound movie.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Sun Jul-23-23 09:07 PM

3. "Loved it and I agree right here"
In response to Reply # 0

>My only real knock is that it's a little long.

At one point I was like we still got 30 minutes left? Other than that, I really enjoyed it.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Wed Aug-02-23 11:44 AM

7. "Really well done...I loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

It was so great to see John Boyega back in his attack the block bag...he's so perfect in sci fi

Jamie was hilarious, of course...he played that character so perfectly

I also thought that little kid was really really great too. Really drove home how desensitized kids can become if they see too much violence...

The writing and comedy was top notch...i could see myself watching it again and i rarely do that...especially since the dude outside the liquor store was dropping gems every time he opened his mouth..

and of course, the perfect suprise at the end...the reworked version of Tyrone by Ms. E. Badu herself *chefs kiss*

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Wed Aug-02-23 03:33 PM

8. "RE: YES in regards to your point about the child!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

That was spot on.

And Yes to love for Attack the Block Boyega!

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748688 Previous topic | Next topic