Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748572

Subject: "Napoleon (Ridley Scott, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Jul-11-23 12:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Napoleon (Ridley Scott, 2023)"

Epic Ridley back!!!

https://youtu.be/4HT4KELhn1c

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How can this not be a two part-er? or a trilogy?
Jul 11th 2023
Yeah, my only concern is fitting all this into one movie.
Jul 29th 2023
RE: Napoleon (Ridley Scott, 2023)
Jul 26th 2023
Ridley Scott single handedly keeping historic epics alive
Jul 29th 2023
Disappointed
Nov 14th 2023
I wish studios would just release Ridley's intended cuts
Nov 23rd 2023
      I could have done with another hour (c) Sir Roger Deakins
Nov 24th 2023
Very clearly chopped down from something miniseries-length.
Nov 24th 2023
The directors cut is gonna be a banger
Nov 25th 2023

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Jul-11-23 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "How can this not be a two part-er? or a trilogy?"
In response to Reply # 0

Can't wait to see.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Sat Jul-29-23 04:52 PM

4. "Yeah, my only concern is fitting all this into one movie."
In response to Reply # 1

Im not sure how they pull that off unless its some four hour old school epic. His Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven was 3+ hours.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

cheesecake
Member since Mar 11th 2003
596 posts
Wed Jul-26-23 06:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Napoleon (Ridley Scott, 2023)"
In response to Reply # 0

I wonder how much if any this film took from the Kubrick script

Sofian_Hadi
5629 posts
Sat Jul-29-23 04:50 PM

3. "Ridley Scott single handedly keeping historic epics alive"
In response to Reply # 0

Man is EIGHTY FIVE years old!! Im going to be extremely sad for my favorite genre when he passes on

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Nov-14-23 09:32 PM

5. "Disappointed "
In response to Reply # 0

As most of you know, I was hella excited for this. Ridley Scott back in full in epic mode with hundreds of extras with real explosions and sets and Joaquin playing one of the most notorious dictators to ever walk the Earth. I mean besides Julius Caesar, Hannibal Barca, Alexander the Great, and Genghis Khan who else came even close to conquering the know world?

So it brings me no joy to say that this was a massive let down. I'm happy to say that this movie has a sense of humor and it's extremely horny in a time where everyone seems very afraid of the notion of sex, but it is very disjointed. Not like MAESTRO where that was a stylistic choice that left me cold, but that it was choppy.

I'm interested to see if this was a KINGDOM OF HEAVEN situation where Ridley's 4 hour cut is a masterpiece, but the theatrical version is garbage. Seriously tho, I was bored for some stretches of this.

I really wish Ridley just used Kubrick's script.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Sofian_Hadi
5629 posts
Thu Nov-23-23 10:56 AM

6. "I wish studios would just release Ridley's intended cuts"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Nov-23-23 10:57 AM by Sofian_Hadi

Ridley has already said there is a 4hr+ version that he hopes Apple puts on their streaming service.

None of these movies are going to be Box Office giants so id imagine it'd be better if they go for awards and word of mouth. Kingdom of Heaven would have been waaaaay more successful if that Director's Cut was the only version.

I enjoyed this movie but the entire time i kept thinking "you can tell there is a way long version that was filmed, because this story seems hella rushed."

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Fri Nov-24-23 04:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I could have done with another hour (c) Sir Roger Deakins"
In response to Reply # 6

"And it wouldn't have made any more money or lost any more money, so what the hell" -- Deakins on the original cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

--------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Nov-24-23 12:41 AM

7. "Very clearly chopped down from something miniseries-length."
In response to Reply # 0

I know Ridley said he has a 4+ hour cut... but it honestly could've been even longer considering the scope of this thing. Instead of something long that tracks throughout, we get something that feels like the "greatest hits" with no connective tissue in place. Definitely still interesting throughout-- and the war sequences are truly terrific-- but ultimately feels like it's all dressed up with no place to go.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sat Nov-25-23 01:03 AM

9. "The directors cut is gonna be a banger"
In response to Reply # 0

Felt like the producers wanted it both ways in creating an epic that’s a tight story, which is really the only thing I disliked about it. I was entertained throughout, just annoyed at the movie rushing through major stuff.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748572 Previous topic | Next topic