Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733859

Subject: "Spoiler thread: Captain Marvel (Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Mar-07-19 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spoiler thread: Captain Marvel (Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, 2019)"

Can we use this thread to hide any reviews with and/or spoilers?

(The original thread is at http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=728622&mesg_id=728622&page=)

I'm seeing it tonight and I'm sure I'll spoil it in someway.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
very enjoyable movie
Mar 08th 2019
yo i didnt connect this
Mar 12th 2019
      Seems like travel time
Mar 12th 2019
I liked it
Mar 08th 2019
The ships happened after the fight
Mar 10th 2019
i think thats a down part of all superhero movies
Mar 12th 2019
Nuanced characters. Good action. (Spoilers herein)
Mar 09th 2019
RE: Nuanced characters. Good action. (Spoilers herein)
Mar 09th 2019
RE: Nuanced characters. Good action. (Spoilers herein)
Mar 10th 2019
There still seems to be a timeline problem? (Spoilers herein)
Mar 10th 2019
      I guess it makes sense
Mar 10th 2019
      Just remembered the scene with HS and Tesseract (Spoilers herein)
Mar 10th 2019
           RE: Just remembered the scene with HS and Tesseract (Spoilers herein)
Mar 11th 2019
                re: Coulson
Mar 11th 2019
                I can’t get into AoS
Mar 15th 2019
IMO they just effed up the continuity with the Tesseract
Mar 11th 2019
      they had it for 40+ years
Mar 11th 2019
      How?
Mar 12th 2019
      the connections were a bit much
Mar 12th 2019
      You are assuming the cat throw it up after Endgame
Mar 12th 2019
           thats the timeline i figured
Mar 12th 2019
           ok, sure, I can go with that
Mar 12th 2019
           you missed a couple points
Mar 13th 2019
                Tesseract wasn’t in the engine?
Mar 15th 2019
                     RE: Tesseract wasn’t in the engine?
Mar 18th 2019
                     no it wasn't
Mar 21st 2019
It was a good time, I liked Brie a lot
Mar 14th 2019
i totally didnt get this
Mar 14th 2019
RE: It was a good time, I liked Brie a lot
Mar 14th 2019
It was a good time. Two points about your nitpicking
Mar 15th 2019
      I agree, but
Mar 18th 2019
           i think this is the one thing that bothered me about it
Mar 20th 2019
           Fury has plenty of action time in the other movies
Mar 24th 2019
The CGI all the way around was great
Mar 22nd 2019

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "very enjoyable movie"
In response to Reply # 0

i enjoyed this quite a bit. i liked all the characters for the most part. i didn't think there would be any surprises for me since i know the comics/cartoons but the Mar-Vell twist was pretty good. i thought they were going to have Jude Law pretend to be Mar-Vell but really be Yon-Rog. also having the Skrulls not really be the bad guys was decent as well. i'm glad they're fully getting away from the comics being hard source material and just being inspiration only. i also liked the nod to Agents of SHIELD since i'm a fan of that show. the power dampener on her neck was also featured in AoS as the Kree in the future was using it to inhibit the Inhumans powers. though it seems that the Kree learned from using it on Carol and instead implanted in their necks.

as far as some people still asking "why didn't Fury call her before?", i think it's obvious that Fury wasn't going to waste her superior power on something he felt the Avengers could/should handle. she's the whole reason he even started the Avenger Initiative so he wouldn't have to rely on just her when they were in trouble. once people are literally turning to dust everywhere (and for all he knows the Avengers are dead) then it's time to "break the glass" and get Carol back here. we don't know that this isn't a one time call to get her to come from clear across the universe somewhere. gotta make sure it's a truly dire situation first. good to know though that Fury always had the pager on him just in case though.

I personally don't like "ranking" the MCU films against each other so i'll just say it was a strong 8 out of 10 for me.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 09:46 AM

15. "yo i didnt connect this"
In response to Reply # 1

>i also liked
>the nod to Agents of SHIELD since i'm a fan of that show. the
>power dampener on her neck was also featured in AoS as the
>Kree in the future was using it to inhibit the Inhumans
>powers. though it seems that the Kree learned from using it
>on Carol and instead implanted in their necks.
>
so true

>as far as some people still asking "why didn't Fury call her
>before?", i think it's obvious that Fury wasn't going to waste
>her superior power on something he felt the Avengers
>could/should handle. she's the whole reason he even started
>the Avenger Initiative so he wouldn't have to rely on just her
>when they were in trouble. once people are literally turning
>to dust everywhere (and for all he knows the Avengers are
>dead) then it's time to "break the glass" and get Carol back
>here. we don't know that this isn't a one time call to get
>her to come from clear across the universe somewhere. gotta
>make sure it's a truly dire situation first. good to know
>though that Fury always had the pager on him just in case
>though.

im still unsure about this. i think he might have called her before but thought it didnt work. or possibly the signal didnt reach where she was at the time of the first avengers movie. based on the end credits scenes it looks like one beep wasnt enough to get to her. it seems they had been trying to reach her for a while. i dont think its a big deal however they explain why she wasnt there before.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 11:06 PM

21. "Seems like travel time"
In response to Reply # 15

Would be a good reason not to call her in all those other situations

Even in this one he basically only did so because he was basically out of other options

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 04:42 PM

2. "I liked it"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-08-19 04:42 PM by handle

I liked it a lot.

People in the theater loved the Stan Lee credit sequence.

Brie Larson is good in this, plays determined and funny very well.

The de-aging of Sam Jax looked good, the Coulson de-aging did not.

The Annette Benning scenes looked really artificial - but since it's an AI generated artificial space I guess it's okay it looked so blue screened.

Not sure why she can explode 100 spaceships but not be able to win a fight against 6 people immediately? (Maybe it was her gaining confidence that was the change?)

I thought the Avengers scene felt flat.

------------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 03:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "The ships happened after the fight"
In response to Reply # 2

>Not sure why she can explode 100 spaceships but not be able to
>win a fight against 6 people immediately? (Maybe it was her
>gaining confidence that was the change?)

From the moment she broke free, there's a pretty clear trajectory of her gaining increased control of power.

She recoils several times due to the strength of her blast being steknger than even she expected.

Also, it's an easy assumption that she's going to go as hard as she needs, not simply trying to obliterate everyone. The ships were essentially an extermination squad, so going all out to eliminate an immediate and signifiant threat to the entire planet means going much harder than she would in a plain ol fight

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 09:48 AM

16. "i think thats a down part of all superhero movies"
In response to Reply # 2

theres always moments where they do something amazing but yet struggled so much with something much simpler. i think in her case it was mostly that she unleashed more potential at the end of the film. im guessing we havent seen her full potential yet.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Mar-09-19 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Nuanced characters. Good action. (Spoilers herein)"
In response to Reply # 0

First off, I will admit I was worried about the casting of Brie based on the trailers, but she really pulled it off in the film. That line in the trailer “I didn’t come to fight your war, I came to end it” landed kinda flat to me in the trailer and thankfully I didn’t hear it in the final movie. Worked better coming from Marvell.

Having Marvell turn out to be a conscientious objector who basically opted out of the war to save the Skrull refugees that were being exterminated was cool. Jude Law’s character was nuanced. He delayed calling in the Accusers, which makes me think he wanted to try to bring in Carol alive. Will be interesting to see what he does in a sequel. Perhaps the Supreme Intelligence will imprison him for failing to call in the Accusers earlier? Pretty sure the Black Kree guy from Guardians will sell him out based on how he side eyed Jude when he said “she is lost” or maybe the Supreme Intelligence might interrogate all the surviving Kree.

Nice setup of Monica Rambeau for the sequel. She wants to fly, just a matter of how she gets powers.

Maybe the Kree/Skrull War will gets resolved in Guardians 3?

Kinda confused how Marvell got the Tesseract. Did she make her own? My daughter thinks somehow Peggy Carter might have given it to Marvell to assist her work (implying that it was found way before they found Cap, which kind of works because it falls through the floor of Cap’s plane well before he crashed and the energy signature is easier to locate than finding a random plane at the bottom of the ocean).

So then Goose spits the Tesseract back up and SHIELD has it until the beginning of Avengers? I’m unclear what time Avengers is supposed to take place in. The same year the film was released? Earlier?

Or is there more than one Tesseract? That might be the easier answer.

I feel like Thor said the presence of the Tesseract signaled that the Earth was ready for a higher level of warfare tho

Hmmm

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sat Mar-09-19 10:44 PM

4. "RE: Nuanced characters. Good action. (Spoilers herein)"
In response to Reply # 3

The Tesseract is the space infinity stone, pretty sure only one of them. It did confuse me tho cuz at end of Cap 1 Howard Stark finds it at bottom of the ocean so figured that's where Shield gets it, but guess Mar-Vel got it at some point after that and assume the weapons are made now after Goose coughs them up. Or Mar-Vel was working with Shield but Fury wasn't aware yet. Idk, Im sure will find out at some point as MCU is pretty good with timelines unlike X-Men filmmakers who just throw anything in.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 12:24 AM

5. "RE: Nuanced characters. Good action. (Spoilers herein)"
In response to Reply # 3

>Kinda confused how Marvell got the Tesseract. Did she make her
>own? My daughter thinks somehow Peggy Carter might have given
>it to Marvell to assist her work (implying that it was found
>way before they found Cap, which kind of works because it
>falls through the floor of Cap’s plane well before he
>crashed and the energy signature is easier to locate than
>finding a random plane at the bottom of the ocean).

Howard Stark found the Tessearact in the ocean while he was searching for Cap after he disappeared in the 1940's. so he must have brought it to SHIELD once that was formed. the Pegasus Project was a joint effort between SHIELD, USAF and NASA to study the Tesseract. Mar-Vell seems to have been running that project since some time in the 80's. how she knew they had it, i don't know.

>So then Goose spits the Tesseract back up and SHIELD has it
>until the beginning of Avengers? I’m unclear what time
>Avengers is supposed to take place in. The same year the film
>was released? Earlier?

yes SHIELD had it all that time. first Avengers movie takes place 2012. the opening scene takes place in the same Project Pegasus base from this movie.

>I feel like Thor said the presence of the Tesseract signaled
>that the Earth was ready for a higher level of warfare tho

it wasn't just the presence of the Tesseract but the activation and use of it. the Tessearact had been dormant and hidden on Earth by Odin for an unknown amount of time.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 09:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "There still seems to be a timeline problem? (Spoilers herein)"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun Mar-10-19 10:00 AM by spirit

Cap crashed in the 40s. Howard Stark gets killed in the 90s by Winter Soldier, I think (91? I forgot the year, gotta rewatch Civil War). Meaning Stark had to find the Tesseract in 91 (?) or before. Goose swallows the Tesseract at some point in the 90s, before which it was on Marvell’s cloaked ship/refugee hiding place. How does that work? Stark finds the Tesseract somewhere in that 50 year period, gives it to Marvell, gets killed, Shield gets it, then has it for decades if your statement about Avengers taking place in 2012 is true. Took them decades to figure out how to use it?

I’m also unclear why you think Avengers takes place the same year that the film was released. Did they say that in the movie?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 10:42 AM

7. "I guess it makes sense"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Mar-10-19 10:46 AM by spirit

It would take Shield a while to figure out the Tesseract. And technically they still hadn’t figured it out by the time Loki showed up.

They probably should have just given it to Wakanda. LOL

I guess we are supposed to assume Marvell used her cloaking tech to hide the Tesseract from any interested parties while she was working on it, but kinda weird that no one noticed it when Red Skull used it to accidentally beam himself to that Soul Stone planet.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 11:27 AM

8. "Just remembered the scene with HS and Tesseract (Spoilers herein)"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Mar-10-19 11:30 AM by spirit

They find the Tesseract and not Cap and Howard tells the crew to keep searching for Cap.

Why would Stark give the Tesseract to Marvell tho? Stark was a weapons manufacturer. Seems like he would keep it until he found a weapons application for it? Maybe she’s very persuasive? Or she stole it?

Or maybe she traded something for it? I seem to remember the super soldier serum that Howard had when he was (Spoilers for Civil War ahead) killed seemed to be blue. Maybe it was Kree blood from Marvell? Or a mixture containing Kree blood?

>Cap crashed in the 40s. Howard Stark gets killed in the 90s
>by Winter Soldier, I think (91? I forgot the year, gotta
>rewatch Civil War). Meaning Stark had to find the Tesseract in
>91 (?) or before. Goose swallows the Tesseract at some point
>in the 90s, before which it was on Marvell’s cloaked
>ship/refugee hiding place. How does that work? Stark finds the
>Tesseract somewhere in that 50 year period, gives it to
>Marvell, gets killed, Shield gets it, then has it for decades
>if your statement about Avengers taking place in 2012 is true.
>Took them decades to figure out how to use it?
>
>I’m also unclear why you think Avengers takes place the same
>year that the film was released. Did they say that in the
>movie?
>
>Peace,
>
>Spirit (Alan)
>http://wutangbook.com

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 08:57 AM

10. "RE: Just remembered the scene with HS and Tesseract (Spoilers herein)"
In response to Reply # 8

>Why would Stark give the Tesseract to Marvell tho? Stark was a
>weapons manufacturer. Seems like he would keep it until he
>found a weapons application for it? Maybe she’s very
>persuasive? Or she stole it?

well she posed as a scientist and apparently headed up the project to study the Tesseract. pretty sure Stark didn't know she was an alien. no reason to believe he held it all to himself. he had a team of people studying it with him even back in the 40's. it probably passed through many hands before Mar-Vell came in contact with it.

>Or maybe she traded something for it? I seem to remember the
>super soldier serum that Howard had when he was (Spoilers for
>Civil War ahead) killed seemed to be blue. Maybe it was Kree
>blood from Marvell? Or a mixture containing Kree blood?

well you'd need to watch Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. (SPOILERS in case you care) they found a dead Kree body way back in the day after WWII when they were raiding the Nazi strongholds. they used blood from that Kree body to basically bring Coulson back to life. there was a whole secret SHIELD base that most high level SHIELD agents didn't even know about. there's all kinds of secret SHIELD bases and facilities. also Stark and/or SHIELD did make a bunch of weapons from the Tesseract energy. remember the first Avengers when Cap found all those weapons that Fury had be stashing in the hellicarrier?

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 09:35 AM

11. "re: Coulson"
In response to Reply # 10

Dude's been through a lot, wonder how this last run of AOS is going to play out. If they are going to let him actually die now.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 10:47 PM

26. "I can’t get into AoS"
In response to Reply # 10

I was supposed to finish watching Peggy Carter and never did. Love the actress.

Still doesn’t make sense to me why Howard would give the Tesseract to the feds rather than weaponize it himself, but I’ll roll with it because it’s all based on comic books. Suspension of disbelief and all. Excelsior! Ha.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 09:57 AM

12. "IMO they just effed up the continuity with the Tesseract"
In response to Reply # 3

As with the origin of the Avengers name, I think they were just trying too hard to connect the dots, and in the process got it all twisted.

I would bet that if enough nerds bitch about it to get Kevin Feige's attention, they'll retcon it, maybe in the sequel to this one.

That was one of my small problems with this movie: to tie it closely to the rest of the MCU, it gave explanations for things that nobody asked for or wanted.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 11:29 AM

13. "they had it for 40+ years"
In response to Reply # 12

anything could have happened in that time. it's changed hands many times over the centuries.

>As with the origin of the Avengers name, I think they were
>just trying too hard to connect the dots, and in the process
>got it all twisted.

I thought this was pretty good actually. the idea of meeting her and then realizing that you should probably find more people like her makes sense.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 12:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "How?"

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 09:52 AM

17. "the connections were a bit much"

they were very obvious and deliberate with them in this movie. usually i have to watch some youtube videos to catch things. theres probably many easter eggs i missed in this movie.

that said, it didnt take away from the movie for me.

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 12:23 PM

18. "You are assuming the cat throw it up after Endgame"

1)Stone in Asgard
2)Somehow gets to earth
3)Red Skull gets it , touches it - and ends up guarding the Soul Stone
4)Stone falls into ocean
5)Stone found by Howard Stark while looking for Capt.
6)Stone get's transferred to project Pegagsus
7)Mar-vell uses it in enginge - is shot down, Capt Marvel shoots it, gets powers, and Skrulls snake it
8)Skrulls put it in orbit on cloaked ship
9)The cat swallows it in the ship
10)Cat throws it up BEFORE Thor movie
11)Nick Fury asks a scientist for help to study it in Thor
12)Scientist is controlled by Loki and gives it to Loki
13)This is where Avengers start
14)Teseract put back in Asgard before Thor Ragnarok
15)Loki steals it
16)Thanos gets from Loki

Edit: Iw as going to type it all out but someone did it already:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/10/18257903/captain-marvel-tesseract-timeline-avengers-origin-infinity-stone

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/10/tesseract-marvel-captain-marvel-explained-how-did-mar-vell-get-the-tesseract

------------

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 01:37 PM

19. "thats the timeline i figured"
In response to Reply # 18

not to that detail obviously. i didnt think anyone would think goose spit it out after infinity war. if they thought so i could see how that would confuse them.

didnt carols fists glow in some of the flashback scenes? i think when she fell in the military training i saw her fists glowing. since it was either a memory or part of the simulation thing i guess it could had just been a mix of now and back then. i didnt read the comics but is she completely without powers before she shoots it??? i thought she already had them but the stone enhanced and activated them.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 02:36 PM

20. "ok, sure, I can go with that"

That makes sense. This wasn't exactly a MCU deal-breaker for me. Give me pretty much any even halfway decent explanation and I'm good. I mean, ultimately this is about an alien cat vomiting up a magical space box. I'm not about to make a youtube video bitching about it lol.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 06:13 PM

22. "you missed a couple points"

>2)Somehow gets to earth

Odin hid it on Earth.

>7)Mar-vell uses it in enginge - is shot down, Capt Marvel
>shoots it, gets powers, and Skrulls snake it

the Tesseract wasn't in the engine. the engine was just created from Tesseract energy. the Skrulls/Kree never had control of the Tesseract at that time.

>8)Skrulls put it in orbit on cloaked ship

Mar-Vell put it there. that was a Kree cloaked ship she was using as her lab. the refugee Skrulls were hiding there but probably didn't know about the Tesseract being there.

>10)Cat throws it up BEFORE Thor movie

I would say this happens WAY before Thor movie. SHIELD had been making weapons based on Tesseract energy for some time.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 10:52 PM

27. "Tesseract wasn’t in the engine?"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Mar-15-19 10:53 PM by spirit

You sure about that? It would seem like she would use it to power her ship like the Red Skull seemed to be doing for the Valkyrie ship that Cap eventually crashed in.

I’ve also never been clear why Odin would hide the Tesseract on Earth. Who is he hiding it from? Hela? Thanos? If the latter, that was a terrible idea since the time stone was on Earth too. And how did Red Skull know Odin was hiding it on earth? I guess there are certain things we just have to accept?

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 01:33 PM

30. "RE: Tesseract wasn’t in the engine?"
In response to Reply # 27

Wouldn't make any sense at all that it was in the engine.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Thu Mar-21-19 08:29 PM

32. "no it wasn't"
In response to Reply # 27

>You sure about that? It would seem like she would use it to
>power her ship like the Red Skull seemed to be doing for the
>Valkyrie ship that Cap eventually crashed in.

she used the energy from the Tesseract to create and power her engine. once the engine was destroyed the Tesseract couldn't have been inside of it since we saw that it was on Mar-Vell's ship later. Red Skull was also using the energy to power his ships and weapons. he was probably just storing it to take it with him when he was escaping in the end. probably didn't need it to actually power the ship.

>I’ve also never been clear why Odin would hide the Tesseract
>on Earth. Who is he hiding it from? Hela? Thanos? If the
>latter, that was a terrible idea since the time stone was on
>Earth too. And how did Red Skull know Odin was hiding it on
>earth? I guess there are certain things we just have to
>accept?

Odin might not have even known about the Ancient One having the Time stone on Earth. hiding them seemed to work for a while until people started using them.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 12:32 PM

23. "It was a good time, I liked Brie a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

It didn't always feel like a MARVEL movie though, if I'm being honest. I got some DC vibes from the scene between Rambeau and Danvers on the front lawn, the way it was shot more than the dialogue or anything. It was Boden and Fleck suddenly throwing back to their intimate indie days but the dialogue and acting wasn't pushing for that, at least I wasn't feeling it.

There was also just a lot of on the nose shots of stuff, all nitpicky but like once everyone starts calling her Carol, when Jude shows back up and keeps calling her Vers I feel like there was a scene where she stands up suddenly holding the back half of her dogtags in the middle of a fistfight for a quick shot of the "vers" part of the tags Jude had so the audience can go "oh!"

But yeah, whatever. I thought all the girl power stuff was done perfectly other than "I'm Just a Girl" being the theme to the final fight. It's not even that it didn't fit the tone of the fight, just hearing that song start up was a brief moment of "alRIGHT already!" I liked all the fights, particularly the opening training fight with her and Jude, had the more creative vibes of whenever Black Widow gets to kick something off which isn't often anymore.

I like that if Danvers is going to slide into Stark's role, they cast her sidekick as someone who looks the most like a young female Don Cheadle as you could probably find. I kinda wish Nick Fury had been more than the butt of a lot of jokes, it was kind hard to buy he went from this sort of happy go lucky cracking jokes at the dinner table with some aliens guy to the Shaft-dressing no nonsense guy we have in Avengers.

Eh, I'm just gonna keep nitpicking but I did really enjoy myself at this movie and I'm really excited to see Brie get in with the Avengers proper and see if they can sand off some of this movie's rough edges once she's folded into the whole thing the same way it worked for Thor. I also hope once her and Ant-Man undo the snap we get something super small stakes, like a Hawkeye and Widow heist film or something.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

mista k5
16414 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 01:31 PM

24. "i totally didnt get this"
In response to Reply # 23

>There was also just a lot of on the nose shots of stuff, all
>nitpicky but like once everyone starts calling her Carol, when
>Jude shows back up and keeps calling her Vers I feel like
>there was a scene where she stands up suddenly holding the
>back half of her dogtags in the middle of a fistfight for a
>quick shot of the "vers" part of the tags Jude had so the
>audience can go "oh!"
>

i didnt connect that lol now it makes sense.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 02:28 PM

25. "RE: It was a good time, I liked Brie a lot"

>But yeah, whatever. I thought all the girl power stuff was
>done perfectly other than "I'm Just a Girl" being the theme to
>the final fight. It's not even that it didn't fit the tone of
>the fight, just hearing that song start up was a brief moment
>of "alRIGHT already!" I liked all the fights, particularly the
>opening training fight with her and Jude, had the more
>creative vibes of whenever Black Widow gets to kick something
>off which isn't often anymore.

This was actually one of the best aspects of the movie IMO. She's maybe the most powerful hero in the MCU, she was whooping ass left and right in the movie, but they didn't lean on the "Women are just as strong as men!" trope like Wonder Woman kind of did. I think that's better for female-led movies, action/adventure ones in particular, where it's feminist and empowering to women without trying too hard at it.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 10:59 PM

28. "It was a good time. Two points about your nitpicking"

1) I didn’t look at Maria as a sidekick. But I don’t look at War Machine as a sidekick either. In either case, I don’t think Maria will return in any big way. I think the sequel will be in our modern times and Monica will be grown up (and likely will experience something that will give her powers in the third movie to take on the Captain Marvel mantle herself).

2) around twenty years separates Fury in Captain Marvel from Fury in Avengers. He goes from not knowing there are aliens or world destroying super powered individuals to experiencing years of them, in the meantime. That’s the kind of thing that can turn a guy pretty serious.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 06:24 AM

29. "I agree, but"
In response to Reply # 28

>2) around twenty years separates Fury in Captain Marvel from
>Fury in Avengers. He goes from not knowing there are aliens or
>world destroying super powered individuals to experiencing
>years of them, in the meantime. That’s the kind of thing
>that can turn a guy pretty serious.
>
Sure, I can buy that, and that's the explanation every defender of Sam Jackson in the movie has given. My problem is that it's not just that he's younger and inexperienced--he basically plays it as an entirely different character that isn't really like Nick Fury at all. Add that to the fact that it is one of the few cases where the movie just shits all over the source material. And even if he's supposed to be less hardened and tough as he later becomes, in this movie he's basically just a comedic sidekick. That along with how he loses his eye simply ruined the character for me. Since he doesn't do very much fighting/combat in the other movies, in retrospect it just kind of makes him a big joke/fake in leather and an eye patch, not he badass that Nick Fury is supposed to be.

I can't think of another instance where Marvel/Disney so blatantly nerfed one of its character, except The Mandarin.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Mar-20-19 10:14 AM

31. "i think this is the one thing that bothered me about it"
In response to Reply # 29

overall i loved it.
saw it at the drive ins Monday night.
but am not a fan of how they handled Fury's eye story.
that can't POSSIBLY be the actual reason for him losing the eye lol. like come the fuck on.
there is still one small part of me that thinks it's a misdirect, even tho Talos' reaction to the Flerken scratchin Nick's eye suggests otherwise.
it felt like a weird choice overall.
then again Fury in the 90s is far removed from the Fury in the 2000s...

i'm still left feeling confused about it tho.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Mar-24-19 02:41 AM

34. "Fury has plenty of action time in the other movies"
In response to Reply # 29

>Since he
>doesn't do very much fighting/combat in the other movies

Fury shoots a shitload of Hydra agents in Winter Soldier and has a full on car chase which is by far the best chase sequence in the MCU in the same movie. He also survives a run-in with Loki and Hawkeye in Avengers and does better than any other SHIELD agent at almost thwarting Loki (spoilers ahead for
The three people who didn’t see Avengers: especially Coulson).

, in
>retrospect it just kind of makes him a big joke/fake in
>leather and an eye patch, not he badass that Nick Fury is
>supposed to be.
>
>I can't think of another instance where Marvel/Disney so
>blatantly nerfed one of its character, except The Mandarin.

The Mandarin instance was WAY worse. They also changed Yellowjacket from Hank Pym to Darren Cross. And turned Hank Pym into Sidekick Grandpa when he was an OG Avenger. Janet Van Dyne didn’t get to kick much tail either and she led the Avengers for a long run in the comics. I’d say Nick in Captain Marvel came off more heroic than any of the above in the MCU onscreen. He got to fight a few Skrulls, albeit mostly with the help of (spoiler redacted). I feel like this film sets up the relationship between Carol and Nick for him to have a kickass modern day teamup with her in the sequel.

The eye thing was funny and unexpected for me. I understand your POV there, but just reached the opposite conclusion.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Mar-22-19 10:52 AM

33. "The CGI all the way around was great"
In response to Reply # 0

I had problems with some scenes in Thor Ragnarok especially environments would throw me off cause it looked too fake but this movie really did a good job with that. For such a heavy CGI film i wasn't taken out from it at all. Fun movie.

----------

IG @h_n_z

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733859 Previous topic | Next topic