Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733306

Subject: "Shoplifters (Kore-eda, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8433 posts
Tue Jan-22-19 09:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Shoplifters (Kore-eda, 2018)"

After successfully trying his hand at film noir Kore-eda goes back to more the usual territory of houmu dorama (family drama), with a particular focus on the kids. But nothing about this story of a (very) small-time criminal family seems tired or cliched, because of Kore-eda's clear passion for exploring all the facets of this quirky group. Played by many of his regulars with evident relish, the characters are touching, maddening, funny and proud.
The movie met with tremendous success in Japan, despite the government's disapproval, likely due to the fact it depicts people on the margins. People who work for a pittance, are treated like trash, yet whose humanity shines through relentlessly.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Shoplifters (Kore-eda, 2018)
Jan 22nd 2019
you should seek it out if you can, the cinematography is amazing
Jan 23rd 2019

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1694 posts
Tue Jan-22-19 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Shoplifters (Kore-eda, 2018)"
In response to Reply # 0

Just finally got around to seeing this this weekend. Couldn't see it at the film festival up here last year, where I usually see his films. I think I missed his last one, the crime drama(?), I think the genre change did kind of slip it off my radar.'

I enjoyed this one, I love some of his past movies, don't know if I liked this more than Like Father, Like Son or Our Little Sister, but there's probably a bit more subtle nuance going on with underlying story of not only the family but essentially each individual that made it up until the end. Those parts of it actually stood out most to me ('choosing your own family, questioning what makes one a mother/father'). I think it was a hard story to end, at least in a way that didn't leave you kind of sad wondering what will happen to them all.

---------------------
Obviously White

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8433 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "you should seek it out if you can, the cinematography is amazing"
In response to Reply # 1

> I think I missed his last one, the
>crime drama(?), I think the genre change did kind of slip it
>off my radar.'

I'm not even sure what kind of distribution it got in the US, if it got any. I saw it on a flight which is generally a shitty way to watch a movie, but even in that format I was enthralled.

Read a Positif interview with HKE about Shoplifters where he says he grew up on Euro cinema way more than Japanese one. He keeps being asked in itws if he feels closer to Ozu or Naruse but he stated that he feels more inspired by Ken Loach. I can definitely see it with this one, and IMO Kore-eda is better because he doesn't box himself in thematically (much respect to Loach tho)

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733306 Previous topic | Next topic