Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733292

Subject: "Did we watch these FYRE docs??" Previous topic | Next topic
Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66742 posts
Mon Jan-21-19 03:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Did we watch these FYRE docs??"

Evian water will never be the same.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
fam they had to be taking a lil 'creative license' with the water story.
Jan 21st 2019
The one dude wouldn’t talk about it.
Jan 21st 2019
enjoyed the Netflix one.
Jan 21st 2019
Agreed and great point
Jan 21st 2019
Not yet but at least these memes make sense now
Jan 22nd 2019
Watched them both. Very compelling for different reasons
Jan 22nd 2019
I disliked the milllllnnnniealllls edge of the hulu one
Jan 22nd 2019
      yeah much more millennials laughed at the fyre crowd.
Jan 22nd 2019
both very entertaining with 1 glaring problem each
Jan 23rd 2019
The company's name is FuckJerry
Jan 23rd 2019
they should cut out a few letters and call it "Fuckery"
Jan 23rd 2019
tbh, the FuckJerry guys uh...did their job?
Jan 23rd 2019
      Pretty much.
Jan 23rd 2019

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Jan-21-19 03:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "fam they had to be taking a lil 'creative license' with the water story."
In response to Reply # 0

no way in hell.

Ceej
66742 posts
Mon Jan-21-19 03:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "The one dude wouldn’t talk about it."
In response to Reply # 1

I don’t put it past that dude to ask someone to do that, doesn’t mean it was expected on the other end.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Mon Jan-21-19 05:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "enjoyed the Netflix one."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-21-19 05:33 PM by will_5198

I'm sure there were liberties and halfway portrayals, but the main points were clear:

1. Billy McFarland is a sociopath

2. He, with the help of misguided faith and willful ignorance, hurt a lot of regular people

in the moment, the Fyre Festival was funny because the near satirical failure of it all (looked like a South Park skit making fun of a festival, except it was *real*) and the idea that just privileged rich suckers were the ones "hurt" by a bad weekend in the Bahamas

but seeing the people on the ground just crumbled into dust by McFarland and JA RULE (fuck that guy) was very sobering

--------

Ceej
66742 posts
Mon Jan-21-19 07:22 PM

4. "Agreed and great point "
In response to Reply # 3

The live social media backlash and meltdown was funny in the moment but to see the magnitude of their screw jobs and the countless hard working people they completely destroyed is just awful.

Ja Rule doubling down right now reminds me of an OKS poster coming around after an obvious L and just moving the goalposts to a totally different area code.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-22-19 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Not yet but at least these memes make sense now"
In response to Reply # 0

>Evian water will never be the same.

Had no clue what this was all about & ashamed to admit what I assumed before finding out the "facts"

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Tue Jan-22-19 12:53 PM

6. "Watched them both. Very compelling for different reasons"
In response to Reply # 0

The Netflix doc has much more behind the scenes on the nuts and bolts of how it went down, more people involved hands on from the company's standpoint, the island worker's standpoint, and the aftermath of everything. Whether you take issue with fuckjerry producing the doc is valid, but doesn't diminish their take on the story, at least for me. The Hulu doc actually had Billy Badass and delved more into why social media influencers were able to push this ideal along and why so many kids went for it. Watching Macfarland squirm was entertaining, but didn't add much to the story, other than cementing the fact he's a sociopathic lying douche. I'm not sure that was worth the money Hulu (supposedly) paid him for being in their doc, but make that decision yourself.

In either case, I'm hoping Ja Rule has his day of reckoning soon. I doubt he goes to jail (they only got Billy on wire fraud, and Ja likely had no part in that), but he can't go around blameless and innocent. His statement of 'it's not fraud, it's false advertising' really pissed me off and should haunt him for the rest of his career. Maybe 50 Cent buys the tickets for Ja's next concert and gives them to various Fyre Fest participants so they can pelt Ja with rotten fruit

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Jan-22-19 07:02 PM

7. "I disliked the milllllnnnniealllls edge of the hulu one"
In response to Reply # 6

like, it was appealing because it was a fucking GREAT ad campaign, showing the tropics that appealed to rich kids living in cold weather cities, and it promised festival that would happen at EXACTLY the right time for them to take off and enjoy it.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Tue Jan-22-19 09:35 PM

8. "yeah much more millennials laughed at the fyre crowd."
In response to Reply # 7

im not sure it was more of a commentary on a generation than it was a commentary on the marketing method and a subset of society.

trump is the fyre festival of political history. i dont see much generational commentary on the boomers who bought into that act.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 12:37 AM

9. "both very entertaining with 1 glaring problem each"
In response to Reply # 0

The Netflix one (as pointed out in the Hulu one) was produced by the media company behind Fyre. Even though I didn't know that going in, those interviews still felt very "ass-covery" at times.

The Hulu one was funnier and I thought it spread the blame past Billy, but they REALLY glazed over how this thing affected the locals. The Netflix one made sure to focus on that.

Ceej
66742 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 09:47 AM

10. "The company's name is FuckJerry"
In response to Reply # 9

Are we really gonna act like they have any sort of moral compass?

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 04:48 PM

11. "they should cut out a few letters and call it "Fuckery""
In response to Reply # 10

>Are we really gonna act like they have any sort of moral
>compass?

I knew he had a career off of stealing memes but I didn't realize he had built an EMPIRE off of it. yeesh.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 05:31 PM

12. "tbh, the FuckJerry guys uh...did their job?"
In response to Reply # 9

they cut an *amazing* trailer out of a video shoot that was a complete shitshow

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Wed Jan-23-19 07:25 PM

13. "Pretty much. "
In response to Reply # 12

They basically turned an L into two Ws. I'd hire them after seeing that doc.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733292 Previous topic | Next topic