Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733222

Subject: "Christopher McQuarrie Closes Deal to Direct Back-to-Back ‘Mission: Imp..." Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Christopher McQuarrie Closes Deal to Direct Back-to-Back ‘Mission: Imp..."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/christopher-mcquarrie-mission-impossible-films-back-to-back-1202986902/

Christopher McQuarrie Closes Deal to Direct Back-to-Back ‘Mission: Impossible’ Films
By JUSTIN KROLL
JANUARY 14, 2019 9:00AM PT

Now playing - McQuarrie Cruises Back...
After delivering the biggest box office hit in the “Mission: Impossible” franchise, Paramount Pictures is ready to continue being in business with director Christopher McQuarrie in a big way.

Sources tell Variety that McQuarrie has signed back on to return to write and direct the next two films in the popular franchise. Sources also add that both films would be shot back-to-back — not unlike the final two “Avengers” sequels — in order to take advantage of the popularity of the series, with the first bowing summer 2021 and the second coming out in summer 2022. The release comes in 2021 to avoid conflict with Paramount and Cruise’s next big venture, “Top Gun: Maverick.”

Sources add Cruises deal, as expected, is also closed and Cruise confirmed his return as IMF agent Ethan Hunt on Twitter:

Summer 2021 and Summer 2022 pic.twitter.com/V6SNvZx2La

— Tom Cruise (@TomCruise) January 15, 2019

McQuarrie confirmed his return to the series on Twitter.

Missions: Accepted#MissionImpossible

— Christopher McQuarrie (@chrismcquarrie) January 14, 2019

McQuarrie had said in recent interviews he was hoping to do something different and had been meeting on a handful of projects including Paramount’s “Without Remorse” starring Michael B. Jordan as John Clark. With the latest “Mission: Impossible” film grossing over $790 million worldwide, the best haul in the franchise to date, the studio knew they couldn’t let a good thing die and quickly moved to bring back McQuarrie to write and direct the next two installments.

McQuarrie will now look to start writing the script while Cruise continues to shoot “Top Gun: Maverick.” While no start date is set yet, sources indicate the studio would intend to start shooting sometime in 2019.

After years of switching up the director to give a new feel to each installment, Cruise and Paramount have now settled on McQuarrie as the primary director for Ethan Hunt’s globetrotting adventures. The move bears similarities to when Warner Bros. and J.K. Rowling tapped David Yates to stay on and finish out the “Harry Potter” series following his first stint on “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.”

The most recent “Mission: Impossible” installment, “Mission: Impossible — Fallout,” was also the best-reviewed entry with a Rotten Tomatoes score of 97%.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Best news of 2019.
Jan 14th 2019
i watched all the mission impossibles over the last week
Jan 15th 2019
      Hopefully the next two won't be so spread out....
Jan 15th 2019
56 years old
Jan 15th 2019

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 09:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Best news of 2019."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue Jan-15-19 05:42 AM

2. "i watched all the mission impossibles over the last week"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Jan-15-19 05:42 AM by Madvillain 626

as bwood would say...

NNNNNNIIIIIGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!

These films got Bond looking flabby and sick right now. Fallout was just next level, Crooz is GOD.

my ranking:

MI: Fallout
Ghost Protocol
Mission Impossible
Rogue Nation
MI:III
MI: II

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue Jan-15-19 05:25 PM

4. "Hopefully the next two won't be so spread out...."
In response to Reply # 2

Three years has been the minimum wait time for a M:I movie and Cruise is already fighting Father Time to finish the franchise off. FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if these two films end up being the final two of the franchise. The series finally has its true archnemesis with Solomon Lane and there's still a lot of room for that story in later films.

Also, Fallout solved the problem of Ethan Hunt having a wife that wasn't involved in the story.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Tue Jan-15-19 10:21 AM

3. "56 years old"
In response to Reply # 0

and still the biggest action star in the world

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733222 Previous topic | Next topic