Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733166

Subject: "True Detective Season 3 <—- Binge or bust" Previous topic | Next topic
sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
812 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 09:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"True Detective Season 3 <—- Binge or bust"

Netflix has me so spoiled with consuming as little or as much of a series at one time that I’m actually pissed I’m gonna have to watch this season over a two month spaN.

One....miserable.....week...at...a...time.. I’m just too hyped for this shit!,

Any chance HBO will get with the times and start to release full seasons at once through their HBO GO platform???

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't mind the wait personally
Jan 10th 2019
Me either, They're showing the first 2 eps this Sunday tho, yeah
Jan 10th 2019
The wait was one of the best things of Season 1....
Jan 11th 2019
I cant imagine binging Game Of Thrones
Jan 10th 2019
GoT is incredibly binge-friendly
Jan 14th 2019
I think there are good aspects to both.
Jan 11th 2019
lots to chew on - in a good way!
Jan 14th 2019
Really liked the first two episodes
Jan 14th 2019
Watching the first season weekly
Jan 14th 2019
I binged it and still think it’s near GOAT status
Jan 14th 2019
      I did both
Jan 14th 2019
Lovin it...even Dorff didn't let me down
Jan 14th 2019
if the guy is truly a Nam vet trained killer...
Jan 14th 2019
we're down with ANYthing Mahershala Ali is in...
Jan 17th 2019

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
7285 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I don't mind the wait personally"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets
===
"Si la meuf est bien physiquement, je ne refuserai pas grand chose"

jigga
Charter member
31569 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 04:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Me either, They're showing the first 2 eps this Sunday tho, yeah"
In response to Reply # 1

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2795 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 12:43 PM

4. "The wait was one of the best things of Season 1...."
In response to Reply # 1

Gave the web time to dig into some of the references of each episode. That concept didn't really apply to Season 2.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
2784 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 10:19 PM

3. "I cant imagine binging Game Of Thrones"
In response to Reply # 0

Part of the fun was having to wait and guess for a week. Sweet sweet torture

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

araQual
Charter member
42096 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 07:27 AM

9. "GoT is incredibly binge-friendly"
In response to Reply # 3

the storytelling and narrative line up so well and so precisely when you do it all in one hit. made me appreciate it a bit more.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13739 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 09:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I think there are good aspects to both."
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't give Game of Thrones a shot (and somehow missed ALL the spoilers) until I think right around the start of season 4, and I really enjoyed how intimately familiar I was with all the plots in motion but then that season was a great year for the suspense that comes with waiting a week.

Same with True Detective, I shrugged it off for whatever reason until right before the season finale when hype was at an all-time high all over the internet, so I binged the full season right up to the broadcast time for the finale...which was awesome since I didn't have to wait two months to be kinda let down by how it all ended.

I watched Succession week by week though and I have to say it was a great pleasure to see that show get better and better and better right up to the finale, it was like a fantastic dessert after a long week every time.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13739 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 01:44 AM

6. "lots to chew on - in a good way!"
In response to Reply # 0

This early theme that the women in Hays life - if not people he’s close to generally, like his partner - have used his suffering and memory issues to their own personal gain. The Ringer’s recaps point to a lot of references to works involving yellow kings, unspeakable evils, Carcossa and other things that defined lots of season one. Will be curious to see how that develops, hopefully subverting several of those allusions as it goes.

Ali is awesome, loving Dorff and Scoot as well. I never saw Halt and catch fire but every little role I’ve seen him in had me wanting more.

One theory that caught my eye skimming the reddit reaction thread was the idea that Hays’ daughter may have died and he can’t remember / has blocked that out, which is what frustrates his son so much about that moment at dinner. It’s definitely track with what it’s like to deal with parents fighting dimentia. Adding to that, what if his wife isn’t dead but simply left him due to his obsession with the case and inability to move on once he retired and she found her own success?

I want more. Now!

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
41533 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 03:17 AM

7. "Really liked the first two episodes"
In response to Reply # 0

Obviously Prince Ali is owning this shit. But they're doing a very good job at setting the tone, creating an atmosphere, and not crowding shit too much.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

It's the Hed Rush: http://hedrush.podomatic.com/
"We take rap serious, it's not a hobby to us."

shockzilla
Charter member
37747 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 05:45 AM

8. "Watching the first season weekly"
In response to Reply # 0

made it seem better than it was.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
16578 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 05:20 PM

11. "I binged it and still think it’s near GOAT status "
In response to Reply # 8

will_5198
Charter member
60057 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 09:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "I did both"
In response to Reply # 11

and correct. one of the best TV series of all time, no question.

--------

jigga
Charter member
31569 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 04:53 PM

10. "Lovin it...even Dorff didn't let me down"
In response to Reply # 0

I never know about that cat but seems like they found a good role for him here

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
16578 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 05:21 PM

12. "if the guy is truly a Nam vet trained killer..."
In response to Reply # 0

The inevitable scene where he has to kill a bunch of bad guys is gonna rule

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3143 posts
Thu Jan-17-19 11:19 PM

14. "we're down with ANYthing Mahershala Ali is in..."
In response to Reply # 0

wife and I first noticed him on that show 'The 4400', dug him on that show first and he's obviously been KILLIN it ever since. Dude ALLWAYs brings that 'something extra' to ANY project.... not in an overt 'look at ME!' kinda way, but rather in an understated/subtle yet still profound/powerful/memorable way. Still my favorite part of Luke Cage season 1....

so yeah, we're all-in on True Detective 3 so far...

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733166 Previous topic | Next topic