Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733055

Subject: "Black Mirror Bandersnatch (Netflix, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Fri Dec-28-18 09:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Black Mirror Bandersnatch (Netflix, 2018)"

Netflix picked the perfect series to test out a 'choose your own story' format.

Set in the 80's, a young video game programmer turns his favorite book into a video game, but is the code driving him crazy...or something else?

I don't want to put any spoilers out there. Apparently, there are 5 possible endings and all kinds of possible story combinations.

I watched it with my better half and niece and we had a good time choosing the story using a roku remote.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The technical execution was better than expected.
Dec 29th 2018
That's what makes this so promising. It was smooth.
Dec 29th 2018
After two hours and 40 minutes
Dec 29th 2018
Cool concept, excellent execution, mediocre episode n/m
Dec 30th 2018
I thought it was brilliant
Dec 30th 2018
I think this is one of those better in theory than execution...
Dec 30th 2018
Add the 5D movie experience to this list.
Jan 08th 2019
this shit was amazing
Jan 25th 2019
I didn't care enough about the characters to keep watching
Jan 26th 2019
I absolutely loved this
Jan 28th 2019

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Sat Dec-29-18 12:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The technical execution was better than expected."
In response to Reply # 0

Making choices was pretty seamless, and it wasn't as disruptive as I thought it would be. While you can kinda tell when the movie has switched to the scene based on your choice, it's very clean.

I did find that some of my choices led the film to work itself back to a previous fork in the road, which forced me to rewatch a scene again. Not a deal breaker, just annoying. I know this is just the beginning, but I like where this is going. Like stated by the OP, this was a great pairing between Netflix and Black Mirror.

(also really dig the metal head shout out. One of my favorite episodes).

https://digife.com

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Sat Dec-29-18 12:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "That's what makes this so promising. It was smooth. "
In response to Reply # 1

I didn't expect it to be Dragon's Lair slow, but it still surprised me how it moved right along once you made a choice.

------------------
One Hundred.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Dec-29-18 12:49 AM

3. "After two hours and 40 minutes"
In response to Reply # 0

my wife and I finally took a break from watching. We got close to a dozen different endings.

This film is so layered. There are easter eggs that lead you to various websites. Like the Tuckersoft website where you can download Nohzdyve.

Here: https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/history/

It's so crazy. Reading through the comments in this reddit thread shows how deep the rabbit hole goes. Only visit if you've gone through a good portion of the movie paths and/or don't mind the spoilers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackmirror/comments/aa98fs/bandersnatch_endings_thread/

Also, I love how all the dialogue speaks directly to you, as a viewer of "Bandersnatch". Conversations about choice, or lack thereof are so meta. This was really impressive.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Sun Dec-30-18 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Cool concept, excellent execution, mediocre episode n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Duc999
Member since Jun 05th 2009
1551 posts
Sun Dec-30-18 06:47 PM

5. "I thought it was brilliant "
In response to Reply # 0

A interactive movie that lets you control the action where the main character contemplates not being in control all the while the movie itself forces your actions so that you're not really in control. Then you're asked to contemplate whether you're in control.

The loops and layers upon layers and 4th and 5th wall breaks. I enjoyed it.

Vertigo
Charter member
1829 posts
Sun Dec-30-18 10:27 PM

6. "I think this is one of those better in theory than execution..."
In response to Reply # 0

I would describe this as similar to looking at 360 degree pictures...it's cool for about 5 seconds, but after that you want to see the image that the photographer intended for you to see rather than stare at random background objects that aren't really that interesting.

This style of a movie doesn't speak to me at all--In the end, I want to see the filmmakers vision on screen, not a series of side adventures. But I didn't know that going into this--because I've never experienced a movie like this before--but if you're into all the easter eggs and such, this will speak to you, but if you want to watch a story, you'll find this tiring/boring/etc. I hope this was a one off for black mirror, because it's a very good show.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 10:21 AM

7. "Add the 5D movie experience to this list. "
In response to Reply # 6

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 10:22 AM

8. "this shit was amazing"
In response to Reply # 0

A great way to tell the story, but also a great story apart from that.

When the main character starts to battle with the therapist and his own father, I was like "I am on board for wherever this movie goes."

One of the best things I saw in 2018. Black Mirror does it again.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Jan-26-19 08:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I didn't care enough about the characters to keep watching"
In response to Reply # 0

Feels like they got more caught up in the technique than making the characters compelling.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 11:12 AM

10. "I absolutely loved this"
In response to Reply # 0

My father inlaw and I went through it. He had never seen anything like it, so he was really into it.

I enjoyed it tremendously.

I'm going to go back and start doing different stuff to see how it plays out.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #733055 Previous topic | Next topic