Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732780

Subject: "Green Book (Peter Farrelly, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
7614 posts
Sun Dec-02-18 07:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Green Book (Peter Farrelly, 2018)"

Me to the Academy: "Is this your king?!"

Fuck this racist make white people feel good about not being racist. And by feeding into sterotypes and commenting on them in the most basic way possible. And let's make a lesson learning "joke" every five minutes.

If this is the front runner for Oscar season, I'm checking out now. By Peter Farrelly. The guy who started the shafting of black producer Effie White on season 4 of Project Greenlight.

Don't waste your money or time on this shit.

------------------------------------------
"America's favorite past time is white supremacy.
Never seen a nigga granted clemency" - Ras Kass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZZOlpqC_A

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wait... Effie White like the main character in Dreamgirls?
Dec 03rd 2018
"Miss Me With That Shit: The Movie"
Dec 03rd 2018
Yeah Mahershala shoulda passed on that one
Dec 04th 2018
oh it's like that is it? damn...
Dec 05th 2018
It's better than it has any business being.....
Dec 05th 2018

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
82025 posts
Mon Dec-03-18 03:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wait... Effie White like the main character in Dreamgirls?"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember who you're talking about, but if that's her name, that's an insane/awesome coincidence, haha.

I saw this movie. Would've been a huge hit fifteen years ago. The actors try hard, but the script is thin thin thin, and the production is all very hacky.

Hungry Hippos: The Movie. Now available to read: http://www.russellhainline.com.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
5211 posts
Mon Dec-03-18 07:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. ""Miss Me With That Shit: The Movie""
In response to Reply # 0

aka the movie that showed me that there are in fact limits to what I'll watch Mahershala Ali in

"Things aren't looking too good for black people right now PR-wise"
Tracy Morgan

"The way that you control a motherfucker that ain't don't nothing is you give them something. Then you hold it over their heads."
Patrice O'Neal

spirit
Charter member
20608 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 10:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yeah Mahershala shoulda passed on that one"
In response to Reply # 2

Can’t wait until he gets enough clout to start producing films, so he can control the quality of his films moreso than....this.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

PG
Charter member
40433 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 01:32 PM

4. "oh it's like that is it? damn..."
In response to Reply # 0

I can't lie I was kinda looking forward to checking it out.. but no more.

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1374 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 03:33 PM

5. "It's better than it has any business being....."
In response to Reply # 0

Viggo and Mahershala saved what would otherwise have been a borderline offensive film. The script isn't bad.....it's just blah. You can tell white people wrote this. There's not much flavor or seasoning in this film. For a film about the Green Book it doesn't really explore the true nature of the Jim Crow south. There's a few cookie cutter scenes here and there of being pulled over by racist cops and shit like that but nothing really delving into the true nature of the beast that was the south in 1960's.

Despite all of this I actually enjoyed the film for no other reason than the performances of the two lead actors. They were great in this and saved this from being on the level of that garbage ass Nina Simone biopic.

Dream with your eyes open.....

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732780 Previous topic | Next topic