Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732581

Subject: "What books do you recommend for someone interested about LGBTQI culture?..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 06:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What books do you recommend for someone interested about LGBTQI culture?..."

I realize that I know very little about LGBTQIA culture and lifestyles and am interested to learn in the hopes of becoming more empathetic and cultured in general.

So is there something akin to 'Gay Lit: 101'? If so what books would make up that list?

I'm a slow-ear reader so if you list 10 books that ought to keep me busy for a number of years. But if you have a favorite or a book which you think as a must-read, please list it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I guess I can respond to this, though I'm not sure where it will lead
Nov 13th 2018
Thanks for the recommendations.
Nov 13th 2018

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 12:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I guess I can respond to this, though I'm not sure where it will lead"
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure what would equate as "101", but I ended up getting into a collective known as Sister Spit some time ago that promotes queer lit and is a decent starting point, they used to do spoken word tours with their books (mostly West Coast now) and I can't really remember how I discovered them. It's historically female/lesbian centric but promotes the entire spectrum. http://www.citylights.com/collections/?Collection_ID=338

From that group I'd specifically recommend The Creamsickle by Rhiannon Argo, it's a great novel and outside of its characters it grasps well the feeling of that period in a young stage of your life that you don't want to end but know is going to, and captures the way people change through that really well. Michelle Tea is the founder and has a lot of fiction and memoir work out there that is worth checking out.

Outside of that, something pretty recent I'd recommend is Katie Heaney, her newest book Would You Rather is her late age coming out story, which works 'contrary' to her first memoir 'Never Have I Ever' about her never having had a boyfriend at like 25 and chronicling her past and being stuck on that. She's a really good writer and is hilarious at times while attempting to describe the process of finding herself pretty honestly.

I'd recommend 'In One Person' as a good novel to hit the marks you're looking for. I could probably mention more if this doesn't die off, or if anything else is contributed.

---------------------
Obviously White

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 03:39 PM

2. "Thanks for the recommendations. "
In response to Reply # 1

I'll have to check out that link as well.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732581 Previous topic | Next topic