Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732531

Subject: "Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 04:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWT0hJhMZwk

I loved this in spite of some of its flaws. There are some story issues (largely due to editing/writing, and some performance issues by secondary cast) but it is a absolutely stunning visual level. The cinematography, set design, costume design and casting all mesh together to create some indelible imagery.

The core cast is excellent and it works as both an homage to Spaghetti Westerns and examination/re-framing of Western tropes. It is a film that is both old and new featuring elements you've seen a million times before and things you'd never thought you'd see in your life.

In some ways Five Fingers reminds me of a vastly more polished/ambitious El Mariachi/Desperado. There's a scrapiness/smallness to the production and an intimacy to the story that balances so well with the scope of the landscape. It is a film that is both intimate and epic at once.

The movie's crown jewel is Hamilton Dhlamini's villain, Sepoko. He's one of the most memorable and unsettling villains in recent memory. Dhalmini gives an absolutely powerhouse performance.

It's available for rent on Prime now. Writing this review has me eager to watch it again.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)
Nov 08th 2018
RE: Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)
Nov 08th 2018

Castro
Charter member
50739 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)"
In response to Reply # 0

Its a classic. Saw it on the big screen, and the cinematography is breathtaking. Some of the storyline is meh, but the protagonist and antagonist chew up scenes nicely.

------------------
One Hundred.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 09:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Five Fingers for Marseilles (South African Western-Matthews, 2018)"
In response to Reply # 1

Man, I am bummed I didn't get to see this on the big screen it must have been incredible. Shit, it was stunning on my laptop.

Yeah, I should have shouted out Vuyo Dabula's performance as Tau. He's pitch perfect in this. He's got classic leading man presence and swag but coupled with a humanity and vulnerability. He compliments Dhlamini perfectly.

I'm about to watch it again tonight

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732531 Previous topic | Next topic