Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732224

Subject: "Destroyer (Karyn Kusama, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Fri Oct-19-18 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Destroyer (Karyn Kusama, 2018)"

A modern day cops and robbers noir that's dark and bleak. It's not gonna be for everyone. This is very much my shit.

Nicole Kidman gives a tour de force performance as a burnt out cop haunted by a undercover case gone terribly wrong.

Kidman gave a very informative Q&A afterwards.

This had an almost all female crew and is more polished than most bigger budget films.

Go in blind.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Would like to see this.
Oct 20th 2018
I like The Invitation less than many people
Oct 20th 2018
      Thanks for the recommendation.
Oct 20th 2018
Very good.
Apr 14th 2019

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sat Oct-20-18 12:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Would like to see this."
In response to Reply # 0

I was a big fan of Kusama's first movie, Girlfight. Wasn't able to track her work after Aeon Flux. Maybe it was the tendency of Hollywood to jail promising woman directors.

She's worked in between Aeon Flux but to be honest after that movie I lost track of her.

The description you posted sounds good. Good enough to motivate me to give it a chance.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Sat Oct-20-18 08:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I like The Invitation less than many people"
In response to Reply # 1

but I still think it is worthwhile and recommend it to others because it has some really great elements. Might be worth checking out for you if you want to see more of her most recent output

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sat Oct-20-18 07:16 PM

3. "Thanks for the recommendation."
In response to Reply # 2

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sun Apr-14-19 01:03 AM

4. "Very good."
In response to Reply # 0

Saw this last night on Hulu.

It was very, very good. The script was very well-crafted. Not a lot of exposition, but was very effective explaining the details of the story. The time-shifting was handled well. Each storyline built upon each other and clarified the motivations for the present day arc. The twist at the end was clever and the ending seemed fitting.

Good pacing and well edited. The time-shifting could have gotten really confusing but wasn't.

Really good performances throughout. I thought Kidman was great. The makeup was effective. If someone wanted to say it was gimmicky, I wouldn't argue. But, it did describe the emotional toll her decision previously in her life took on her.

Erin's daughter was really good. She was naive and bratty but also worn for her age and the actor performed that authentically.

The scene in the restaurant at the end was amazing. Kidman was great as was her daughter. But I was more amazed at the actor who played the daughter because I don't know how she had the emotional awareness and depth to portray the vulnerability and hurt and relief her character felt. I wouldn't imagine a teenager, who hadn't been through a similar traumatic experience, could pull off something so complex, but she did. She must have gotten great direction.

The reviews were less enthusiastic about this as I am. I don't quite know why. But it's worth a viewing.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732224 Previous topic | Next topic