Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732172

Subject: "Finally went through Battlestar Galactica from start to finish" Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 02:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Finally went through Battlestar Galactica from start to finish"

I've had a few start/stops, and skipped ahead in the show wikis. But I finally went through the damn thing from end to end.

This shit.... whew.

While I certainly have some critiques, this was an incredibly well executed show.

The casting for all the key roles was stellar.

The writing, for the most part, delivered, and when it didn't, the character work was usually so well done that the show remained compelling throughout.

Caprica aside, this is actually well suited for prequel/sequel iterations.

Frankly, that's one of my gripes. The Final Five was given a level of importance that warranted a more detailed story than we got via a few lines of rushed exposition from crippled, diet Jerry O'Connell.

Razor was dope. I haven't seen The Plan just yet, but I can't help but think that the Final Five deserved a film to tell their tale, or at least a full episode.

But a full-own prequel series based on Kobol, detailing the origin of the 13th Tribe, perhaps through to the Final Five, and the creation of Cavil?

Yeah, sign me up for that.

Anyhow....this shit had too many great performances to count, but for me, Adama and Roslin own this shit.

Like I said, I do have my gripes, but kn the whole, BG is among the more profound and thought-provoking shows I can recall

I'm kind of mad that I missed the original run. I'm not a huge Star Wars/Star Trek guy, and I don't care enough about those to bother with any direct comparisons. All I know is that BG is the one for me.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
real cool how they killed off all the black and latino characters
Oct 17th 2018
Ok so I'm not the only one that noticed that
Oct 17th 2018
      yeah, he included the messages he wanted to send
Oct 17th 2018
that last episode was butt tho
Oct 17th 2018
A LOT of it was ass
Oct 17th 2018
      yeah, I call bullshit on that
Oct 17th 2018
      there's so much bullshit in it when you go back and look over the arc
Oct 17th 2018

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 03:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "real cool how they killed off all the black and latino characters"
In response to Reply # 0

before they got to Earth

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Ok so I'm not the only one that noticed that"
In response to Reply # 1

I always found the creator of the new BSG problematic in that aspect.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 05:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "yeah, he included the messages he wanted to send"
In response to Reply # 3

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that last episode was butt tho"
In response to Reply # 0

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 02:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "A LOT of it was ass"
In response to Reply # 2

My big thing was how they tried to draw parallels between 911 and The Iraq War and the show.

But in the show BILLIONS of humans where killed - an actual genocide - and then as a few survivors had to keep jumping to light speed every 6 minutes or also be killed the show started to raise questions about civil liberties??

They try to raised these questions literally within 2 months of a genocide that is continuing. Marshall law seems pretty reasonable in this situation - even for several years.

The resurrection of a character is fucking lame too.

And the fucking idiot Moore said this:
"She is what you want to think of her. It was left deliberately nebulous and vague. And I think she was a representative of an entity that didn't like to be called God, but everybody else talked about it in godlike terms. If you want to call her an angel, you could say that. She went through a resurrection story that was very Christlike. And you know, what are the implications of that? I felt, as I went into the finale, that the more I defined exactly what she was, the less interesting she became. And so I just made a choice to go out on a more ambiguous note, and to let people argue about it perpetually."

That's just bad writing.

This show place in a 3 year period, but somehow it was on the air for 7 years -- which made the impact of the story less. The Shield had it worse, but it didn't help BSG.

Oh, and the last episode was just AWFUL.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 02:18 PM

5. "yeah, I call bullshit on that"
In response to Reply # 4

Starbuck was 'resurrected' because she was a fan favorite and if they had taken her off the show a huge chunk of fans would have left with her.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Oct-17-18 05:37 PM

6. "there's so much bullshit in it when you go back and look over the arc"
In response to Reply # 4

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #732172 Previous topic | Next topic