Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #730796

Subject: "Roma (Alfonso fucking Cuaron, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
7641 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Roma (Alfonso fucking Cuaron, 2018)"

https://twitter.com/alfonsocuaron/status/1022121194126958592

I heard the sound design for this film is next level. Even though it's gonna drop on Netflix, I'm gonna find a theatre that's showing this.

Even though it's a simple story of a family in 1970s Mexico, I was told he's still pushing cinematic boundaries.

Da Gawd is back!!!

------------------------------------------
"America's favorite past time is white supremacy.
Never seen a nigga granted clemency" - Ras Kass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZZOlpqC_A

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is the last trailer I'll watch.
Aug 16th 2018
Cuaron and Chivo Lubezki back together...yeah im seeing this in theates
Aug 17th 2018
Very good
Oct 05th 2018
an absolute gem, top-notch acting and filmed like a dream
Nov 11th 2018
Agree on all counts. I saw it at a film Festival and it is beautifully s...
Nov 12th 2018
what a beautiful film
Dec 18th 2018
a big ass MEH..some inspiring moments/shots but this was a pretentious
Dec 24th 2018
A near perfect film about a take it or leave it movie
Dec 25th 2018
I jumped ship 'bout an hour in
Dec 26th 2018
i jumped ship after 10 mins
Jan 09th 2019
      some sad stuff and lots of dog poop
Jan 09th 2019
una pelicula muy aburrida
Jan 08th 2019

bwood
7641 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is the last trailer I'll watch."
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/fp_i7cnOgbQ

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks just how good this is.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10611 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Cuaron and Chivo Lubezki back together...yeah im seeing this in theates"
In response to Reply # 0

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

bwood
7641 posts
Fri Oct-05-18 01:28 PM

3. "Very good"
In response to Reply # 0

You gotta just go with it. Once you get into the film's groove you ride with it till the gutpunch of the last 20 minutes.

This should be called Men Ain't Shit.

Absolutely see this in a theater especially one equipped with Dolby Atmos.

If this doesn't win Best Sound Design and Best Sound Mixing, then cancel the fucking Oscars b.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
7285 posts
Sun Nov-11-18 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "an absolute gem, top-notch acting and filmed like a dream"
In response to Reply # 0

the personal is present in every single frame, with details that make it lived-in and heartfelt from start to finish. I thought this was gonna be a -potentially boring- Ozu-style home drama, but Cuaron contextualizes it with current events and crucially lets the movie breathe outside at every opportunity (unlike the damn pooping dog lol). Definitely deserves to be seen on a big screen with a properly calibrated sound stage, kind of a damn shame what Netflix is doing with the release tbh.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets
===
"Si la meuf est bien physiquement, je ne refuserai pas grand chose"

Cornbread
Member since Jul 21st 2006
1094 posts
Mon Nov-12-18 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Agree on all counts. I saw it at a film Festival and it is beautifully s..."
In response to Reply # 4

It is a shame that most people will not get to see it on a big screen with a great sound system. Hopefully, it will get a regular release at some point.

*America's Favorite*

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
15410 posts
Tue Dec-18-18 01:53 PM

6. "what a beautiful film"
In response to Reply # 0

the cinematography was insane, i was blown away from it. The story was fantastic, I really enjoyed it.

Being from Nicaragua and seeing maids just like that was interesting.

縄f a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6247 posts
Mon Dec-24-18 05:40 AM

7. "a big ass MEH..some inspiring moments/shots but this was a pretentious"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-24-18 06:08 AM by Hellyeah

empty mess and overall a huge waste of time

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
13739 posts
Tue Dec-25-18 03:33 PM

8. "A near perfect film about a take it or leave it movie"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-25-18 03:36 PM by Nodima

The plot isn't much. At its best, the story of Cleo and her pseudo-godmother relationship with the family that employs her is an excuse for some hypnotically intricate panoramas of moments both minute and vast. At its worst, the film's decision to highlight a single character distracts from Cuar贸n's hyper-focused understanding of what he wants to show here. Arguably, the plot's greatest sin is that it feels compelled to be a plot at all. What good is a final dilemma broadcast ahead of time by the film's dialogue (underscored, necessarily, by the subtitles) when you've got not-handsome Javiar Bardem (Jos茅 Manuel Guerrero Mendoza) laconically singing Jaliscan punk rock in period appropriate boy shorts?

And that's just an image that doesn't spoil anything. Perhaps the most paradoxical thing about this movie's plot problem is that without its big reveal, we don't get some of the film's most clever shots nor any of the reminders that this movie isn't just directed by a confident man but Alfonso-fucking-Cuar贸n. I understand why some might become bored by his repetitive use of the pan shot, but I found its prominence the pathway into what's best about this movie. When it feels more like a deeply felt memory of a place, when its characters feel small - just a part of the hundreds of extras and dense, vibrant set design rather than our main focus - Roma becomes this much bigger, intense thing. The culmination of the film's two most emotional plot points are both defined by the camera's understanding of those moments rather than the characters' reactions to them and Cuar贸n manages to make that feel correct rather than masturbatory.

My favorite bit in this movie is definitely the number of micro-oners that showcase the control Cuar贸n exhibits over his productions, previously best exemplified by the two scenes everyone still points to Children of Men for. I'd argue Atonement stole Cuaron's nothing-and-everything crown, but Roma is an aggressive grasp at the trophy that doesn't offer one single shot but rather a compilation of wonderfully natural shots of people being in spaces. Whether its a hospital or a run down town on the verge of revolution, Cuar贸n's camera lingers in such a way that one almost feels like they've set the controller down on an open world video game and are simply observing the programmers' creativities play out.

So, yes, when the script plays things a bit safe it's easy to let yourself feel disappointed. Particularly for non-Spanish speaking viewers, having the subtitles telegraph certain elements of the screenplay that might otherwise feel more organic were the script left offscreen is an unavoidable trouble. But looking at the bigger picture, I think these distractions are just a thing one always needs to accept going into foreign films, particularly Mexican dramas, and that once you allow Cuar贸n his tropes you'll be appropriately open to his camera, Roma's true leading actor. Is it the best movie of 2018? I'm not sure. The best picture(s)? I have little doubt.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." 锟 Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
797 posts
Wed Dec-26-18 07:09 PM

9. "I jumped ship 'bout an hour in"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm usually a fan of slow-moving artsy movies like this, but you gotta give me *something* to hold on to.

I appreciated the cinematography and scene composition 鈥 it's a very beautiful film, indeed 鈥 but I just didn't care about the characters enough to put up with the glacial pace. shortly after the butt-naked martial arts routine, I was out. (and with the introduction of that character, I was fully aware the "real" story was probably about to get started, but I was already checked out at that point)

http://opsfromchi.bandcamp.com

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
9151 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 04:14 PM

11. "i jumped ship after 10 mins"
In response to Reply # 9

hopefully i didn't miss anything

makaveli
Charter member
14546 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 08:16 PM

12. "some sad stuff and lots of dog poop"
In response to Reply # 11

鈥淪o back we go to these questions 鈥 friendship, character鈥 ethics.鈥

makaveli
Charter member
14546 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 11:36 PM

10. "una pelicula muy aburrida"
In response to Reply # 0

鈥淪o back we go to these questions 鈥 friendship, character鈥 ethics.鈥

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #730796 Previous topic | Next topic