Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #730661

Subject: "James Gunn is outta the MCU for old offensive tweets (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 02:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"James Gunn is outta the MCU for old offensive tweets (swipe)"

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-gunn-fired-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-offensive-tweets-1202430392/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

James Gunn has been removed as director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series after a batch of old social media dispatches were unearthed that touched on areas like pedophilia and rape. In the latest shocking #metoo development in the entertainment industry, Gunn was severed from the Marvel Comics Universe after a slew of social media posts he wrote before getting Guardians of the Galaxy surfaced. According to Fox News, they were posted because Gunn is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and the effort was to knock him down a few pegs.

Mission accomplished. Gunn has long been a provocateur who has drawn ire in the past for his unusual humor. Among the tweets that forced Disney and Marvel’s hand were: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”

Another: “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” There were others that made satirical comments about the 9/11 attack, AIDS and the Holocaust.

Disney responded quickly and decisively: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman, in a statement just released.

Since the fall of Harvey Weinstein, a heightened level of sensitivity in Hollywood has led to one headline after another, from Scarlett Johansson withdrawing from playing a transgender character in the $30 million New Regency film Rub & Tug, to Paramount TV chief Amy Powell being fired for alleged racially insensitive statements. This was just the past nine days.

The idea of being held to task for old social media posts might be new to Hollywood, but we see it rear up all the time in sports, most recently when all-star Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Josh Hader was forced to apologize for old homophobic and racist posts made while he was in high school in 2012. One and one-half of the Two and a Half Men cast were felled by outlandish social media messaging, as both Charlie Sheen and Angus T. Jones issued volatile statements that disparaged the long running hit sitcom.

Here is Gunn defending the prior tweets, which were captured by Fox News before his Twitter feed was taken down.

1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.

— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.

4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.

5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
man, this is really no different than Trevor Noah
Jul 20th 2018
I don't have a great memory of the Trevor Noah stuff
Jul 20th 2018
huh. turns out those alt-righters *don't* actually love free speech
Jul 20th 2018
Disney knew what he was
Jul 20th 2018
That's what bothers me the most.
Jul 20th 2018
      My thoughts exactly
Jul 20th 2018
           Get Takia.
Jul 20th 2018
                ^^^works for me
Jul 21st 2018
trump lovers are who they are, but why did disney hire a 40 year old
Jul 21st 2018
      THIS!!!
Jul 24th 2018
      probably because they treated the jokes as just that, jokes.
Jul 24th 2018
      let's be realistic though
Jul 31st 2018
Guardians cast says BRING HIM BYKE
Jul 30th 2018
Also Disney
Jul 31st 2018
Two things. 1st, Those weren't fucking jokes
Aug 01st 2018
Thank you for saying this.
Aug 06th 2018
nah, man, they were jokes
Aug 07th 2018
Dave Bautista tells ShortList he'll quit 'Guardians of the Galaxy' if Ja...
Aug 06th 2018
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicLittleApe-max-1mb.gif
Aug 06th 2018
theyll bring him back once things have cooled off a lil.
Aug 06th 2018
This whole affair is a test-run for these shit-heads to make a run at...
Aug 07th 2018
James Gunn in Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing
Aug 08th 2018
its simpler to just bring him back.
Aug 08th 2018
nah probably not
Aug 08th 2018
      That's what people thought with AMC/Hardwick
Aug 11th 2018
How many people really pay attention to this stuff?
Aug 09th 2018
      I think we're under playing how much info folks have going into films
Aug 09th 2018
           exactly
Aug 09th 2018
Mar 15th 2019
I didn't think they'd do it, but I was wrong.
Mar 15th 2019
Glad he’s back. Mad we have to wait until after SS2 for GOTG3
Mar 15th 2019

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "man, this is really no different than Trevor Noah"
In response to Reply # 0

New world we’re living in huh?

Best bet - just stay off social media

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 06:26 PM

7. "I don't have a great memory of the Trevor Noah stuff"
In response to Reply # 1

But his tweets seemed immature while Gunn's stuff is objectionable.

Clue me in if I'm wrong.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "huh. turns out those alt-righters *don't* actually love free speech"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Disney knew what he was"
In response to Reply # 2

remember when GLAAD went after him in 2012 for stuff he'd written?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 04:36 PM

4. "That's what bothers me the most."
In response to Reply # 3

He worked for Troma (c'mon) and made Slither and Super, two films that have a lot of questionable shit in 'em.

And fuck these alt-right fuckers b. They can't hold even hold up their President for doing the same and much, much worse shit.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5174 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 05:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "My thoughts exactly "
In response to Reply # 4

It's funny how these alt-right fuckers went after him exposing tweets, that if it was someone they liked would be riding for til the wheels fell off for.

But I get it, Disney has to protect their bottom line. I'm just curious to see who they tap to take over.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 05:13 PM

6. "Get Takia."
In response to Reply # 5

Thor 3 was almost like Guardians.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Sat Jul-21-18 12:32 AM

8. "^^^works for me"
In response to Reply # 6

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6506 posts
Sat Jul-21-18 02:44 AM

9. "trump lovers are who they are, but why did disney hire a 40 year old "
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Jul-21-18 02:46 AM by Hellyeah

obsessed with rape/pedophilia jokes in the first place?

their business is movies for children...they should've known better

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 10:48 AM

10. "THIS!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Everyone knew, there's a person who's sole job is to go through potential hire's history and see if they said anything dumb.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 10:51 AM

11. "probably because they treated the jokes as just that, jokes."
In response to Reply # 9

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 06:37 AM

13. "let's be realistic though"
In response to Reply # 9

His juvenile tweets probably had little to do with it.

That's all it was: Juvenile shock humor. About on the level with that dude we all knew in high school who kept telling dead baby jokes. I didn't find it particularly funny, but I didn't think any more of it than I would from an episode of the Family Guy. And let's not forget that he actually apologized for AND deleted these tweets YEARS AGO.

For instance, Jhonen Vasquez, comic artist and creator of Invader Zim, has said stuff even more twisted and morbid on Twitter. Not only did he get a job with Nickelodeon, but Invader Zim is getting a reboot movie within the next year. And in his case, he's apologized for NOTHING, and those tweets are still live. In fact, I'm sure plenty of celebrities/comedians are tweeting worse stuff for shock value as I type this.

James Gunn just pissed off the wrong people--and I wouldn't be surprised if some of those people were within Disney/Marvel.

Yes, Disney knew about the tweets. They also knew this was the guy who came from Troma films, and made Super for Christ's sake.

Let's not just act like Disney was trying to do the right thing, because this is pretty much like them firing Robert Downey Jr. over the crazy shit he did while drunk and coked out back in the 90s.

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 01:25 PM

12. "Guardians cast says BRING HIM BYKE "
In response to Reply # 0

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/guardians-of-the-galaxy-cast-james-gunn-support-1202889736/

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 03:49 PM

14. "Also Disney"
In response to Reply # 0

https://imgur.com/gallery/KvcbD

Who's the arbiter of growth nowadays?

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 10:19 AM

15. "Two things. 1st, Those weren't fucking jokes"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-01-18 10:19 AM by DVS

there was nothing remotely "jokey" about them statements. There were what they were, shock tweets from a place of privilege tweeted solely because of said privilege. It's easy to call something a "Joke" when you have no emotional connection to it.

2nd....I do respect the way he responded. He didn't bend over backwards apologizing, he owned up to it...explained as best as he could and kept it moving. For what it's worth...that was refreshing.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 11:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Thank you for saying this. "
In response to Reply # 15

I write jokes for a fucking living. These don't seem like jokes to me. These seem like "Hey, let me say some edgy shit and see if anyone calls me out on it, so I can continue to say similar edgy shit."

I'm not saying he's a pedophile, but let's stop calling these jokes.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 06:16 AM

21. "nah, man, they were jokes"
In response to Reply # 15

Yes they were very, very tasteless.

But seriously. I've read similar tweets like that from comedians in the past (one of the reasons I stopped going on twitter). It's just shock value humor. Come on, we've all met people in the past that said shit like that just to get a rise out of people, that whole 'it's funny because it's awful and people nervously laugh at it' humor.

It was juvenile though. I'm not excusing or condoning it, but dude was really trying to be funny, that was all.

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 06:30 PM

16. "Dave Bautista tells ShortList he'll quit 'Guardians of the Galaxy' if Ja..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/exclusive-dave-bautista-interview-james-gunn-guardians-of-the-galaxy-firing-quit-twitter/368730

Dave Bautista tells ShortList he'll quit 'Guardians of the Galaxy' if James Gunn's script isn’t used

Speaking to ShortList in his first interview since James Gunn was fired, Bautista said he would be doing the director a “disservice” if he didn’t step away from the franchise

Dave Bautista says he has asked Marvel to release him from his contract over the studio’s firing of director James Gunn.

Speaking to Shortlist in his first interview since the controversial decision, Bautista, who plays Drax the Destroyer in the MCU, said he would be doing Gunn a “disservice” if he didn’t step away from the franchise.

The director was fired last month after alt-right activists unearthed a series of offensive tweets from several years ago.

“Nobody’s defending his tweets, but this was a smear campaign on a good man,” he said, speaking to ShortList’s Tom Ellen. “I spoke to Chris Pratt the day after it happened and he’s a bit religious so he wanted time to pray and figure it out, but I was more like: f*ck this. This is bullshit. James is one of the kindest, most decent people I’ve met.”

Bautista said Gunn had already turned in the script for Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3. A replacement director for the film, due to shoot early next year, has not yet been announced.

“Where I’m at right now is that if don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me.

“I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.”

Bautista echoed this sentiment on Twitter during the early hours of Monday when he tweeted: “I will do what i’m legally obligated to do but without is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o just isn’t GOTG. It’s also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis. That’s just how I feel. “

I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel https://t.co/Ym4FwruVDu

— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) August 5, 2018

Last week Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Bradley Cooper were among the cast members of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise to sign an open letter asking Gunn to be reinstated. According to sources at Disney it’s unlikely the the Gunn will be rehired, despite the backlash from the franchises A-list cast.

“I don’t think will get him re-hired,” Bautista said. “But I hope it opens people’s eyes to James’ character.”

ShortList has reached out to Disney for comment and will update this article accordingly upon their response.

Bautista was speaking to ShortList ahead of the release of his film Final Score. The full interview will be in the September 6th issue of ShortList.

Final Score is in cinemas September 7th

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 07:02 PM

17. "https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicLittleApe-max-1mb.gif"
In response to Reply # 16

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicLittleApe-max-1mb.gif

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Aug-06-18 08:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "theyll bring him back once things have cooled off a lil."
In response to Reply # 16

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Tue Aug-07-18 12:37 AM

20. "This whole affair is a test-run for these shit-heads to make a run at..."
In response to Reply # 0

...pulling the same thing on Kathleen Kennedy. Probably happen next year around ComicCon, when Disney starts their Episode IX push in earnest.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

j0510
2315 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 05:16 PM

22. "James Gunn in Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-demand-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161

James Gunn in Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing
AUGUST 08, 2018 11:09am PT by Borys Kit

The 'Guardians' director has been approached by several top producers and executives dangling big film projects.

James Gunn may have been fired by Walt Disney Studios from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, but many in Hollywood are looking to work with the controversial filmmaker.

Gunn, who was fired July 20 after past offensive tweets came to light, has been approached by several top producers and executives at major studios dangling big film projects, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

"I’d work with him in a heartbeat," says one senior executive at a rival studio. Like the dozen or so execs and producers THR spoke with, this exec asked to remain anonymous because Gunn is not permitted to entertain other offers while his negotiation to exit Disney is ongoing.

“I’ve been advised that we can’t bring anything to him until the Disney matter is 100 percent resolved,” says another studio executive. Major players said to be interested in Gunn’s services run the gamut from studios, including Warner Bros., which has its Disney/Marvel rival superhero movies via DC Entertainment, and high-profile and Oscar-winning producers.

The interest makes sense given the outpouring of industry support for Gunn in the wake of his firing, including from the Guardians cast, which issued a joint letter calling for his reinstatement citing “little due process in the court of public opinion.” Actor Dave Bautista went so far as to say he would quit the franchise if Gunn’s script weren’t used.

But any major studio hiring Gunn likely would face immediate criticism from the same people who bombarded Disney with calls for Gunn’s firing after the conservative website The Daily Caller resurfaced tweets Gunn sent from 2008 to 2011 that joked in racist and homophobic fashion. Then again, the Disney brand is often held to a higher standard than, say, Warners or Lionsgate, which don’t tout a specific family-friendly brand to consumers. Some execs and producers are mulling a cooling-off period of several months before making any official announcements.

Multiple sources say that Gunn, represented by UTA and attorney Andrew Hurwitz, remains locked in complicated negotiations with Disney over his exit settlement. Gunn has written the script for Guardians 3 and was to have directed the third installment of a franchise whose first two entries (also written and directed by him) grossed $773 million and $863 million, respectively.

Sources say that Gunn, while under contract for the third movie, likely was not "pay or play,” a status that would require Disney to pay him his full fee regardless of whether his services are actually used. Filmmakers typically reach pay-or-play status when a movie is officially greenlit or eight weeks prior to the start of production, neither of which had occurred. But Gunn is not said to have breached his contract because the offensive tweets were sent years before he first signed with Disney’s Marvel Studios.

Some experienced talent reps estimate that due to the unique situation, Gunn could receive a payout of $7 million to $10 million, if not potentially higher. And, more importantly, he would be free to take on another project immediately. Also affecting the negotiations is that sources say Disney plans on using Gunn's script for the third movie.

Disney, Marvel and reps for Gunn declined to comment.

There may be an unexpected twist to the story. Two sources say there is a hope through the talks that Gunn could return in some fashion, even if it’s to develop and direct another Marvel movie. “An end-all verdict hasn’t been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing,” says one source familiar with the proceedings.

That leaves Gunn and his potential suitors waiting to see the outcome of the talks. “Most people feel his comments were coming out of his brand of comedy ,” says another studio exec. “Having an inappropriate sense of humor shouldn’t be a crime.”

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 10:26 PM

23. "its simpler to just bring him back."
In response to Reply # 22

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Wed Aug-08-18 11:53 PM

24. "nah probably not"
In response to Reply # 23

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20756 posts
Sat Aug-11-18 12:27 PM

28. "That's what people thought with AMC/Hardwick"
In response to Reply # 24

----------

IG @h_n_z

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Thu Aug-09-18 07:42 AM

25. "How many people really pay attention to this stuff?"
In response to Reply # 22

Disney seems hyper-focused on playing nice by the family moviegoer set, but do these people know or care who made Guardians of the Galaxy? They just want to see a movie and get their kids to shut up for a few hours.

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Thu Aug-09-18 09:29 AM

26. "I think we're under playing how much info folks have going into films "
In response to Reply # 25

I think in the past it was either movie nerds on industry insiders. Now you don't even have to be paying attention to get some of this info

I don't know if folks care as much as Disney does, but people folks care.

Is it care enough to not go see the film? Now that I don't know.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Aug-09-18 10:25 AM

27. "exactly"
In response to Reply # 26

Have we seen the actual effects of audiences standing up against celebrities revealed to be shitty people or sexual predators?

Where based on the news, the current movie or TV show tanks noticeably?

I mean Michael Richards' career was ruined, but post-Seinfeld he hadn't exactly been blowing up.

Johnny Depp is still doing okay.

I can't really think of any example. In just about every case, the studio or network pulls the plug on the actor's project pre-emptively.

The cynic in me thinks that if Disney hadn't fired Gunn over the tweets, the news would have caused a stir for a minute, Gunn would have pointed to his earlier apology, stressed how he's a different dude now, and then by the time Guardians 3 hit theaters nobody would even have remembered the scandal.

j0510
2315 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 01:38 PM

29. ""
In response to Reply # 0

https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn-reinstated-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-disney-suicide-squad-2-indefensible-social-media-messages-1202576444/

Disney Reinstates Director James Gunn For ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 3’
by Mike Fleming Jr
March 15, 2019 11:00am

EXCLUSIVE: Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated James Gunn as the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

The decision to rehire Gunn –he was fired last July by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape — was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

The social media messages were indefensible, but the filmmaker never did anything but blame himself for poor judgment displayed at a time when he was emerging from the Troma film factory and attempting to be a provocateur. There were no reports that Gunn ever engaged in the behavior he lampooned. Unlike the defensive posture exhibited by Kevin Hart that led him to skip hosting the Oscars, Gunn fell on his sword early and often and never lashed out at Disney.

Ultimately, Gunn’s missives were poorly chosen words and not actions, though Disney’s quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn’s missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.

Gunn’s return to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 got complicated when he signed on to write and direct the Suicide Squad sequel for Warner Bros and DC. Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2. Making the whole thing easier though was the fact that Marvel Studios never met with or considered any other director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, despite speculation that Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taika Waititi and Vice helmer Adam McKay were in the mix.

Marvel Studios has remained mum on all details concerning Guardians of the Galaxy 3, as the Kevin Feige-led division turned its focus toward Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame. Marvel this week set Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi.

Prior to his dismissal, Gunn had written a script which Marvel confirmed would be used for the third Guardians of the Galaxy installment. I expect Gunn to confirm all this as he supports the release of Brightburn, the David Yarovevsky-directed Elizabeth Banks-starrer that he produced and Sony releases May 24.

There will be an inevitable chorus of those who will gripe about Gunn’s return, but creatively, Guardians will benefit from his return. The entire cast of the film was outspoken in its desire to have Gunn back, saying that those satiric tweets did not match his personal actions. The cast clearly loves him; Chris Pratt, Zoey Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Sean Gunn, Michael Rooker and Pom Klementieff all pleaded for Gunn’s return, in an open letter. The controversy shattered the camaraderie that the cast had with the filmmaker and put a strongly performing franchise in limbo. Marvel has done a great job allowing its filmmakers to inject their personalities into each franchise, and perhaps none has been as stamped by one filmmaker as Gunn on the Guardians franchise. The first two installments grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel out grossing the first picture.

Soon after the announcement of Gunn’s firing, fans circulated a petition urging Disney to reconsider. On October 31st, a fan crowdfunded billboard went up in Anaheim, CA to rehire Gunn.

Disney is days from closing its acquisition of the assets of Fox and while the company will always be family first, it is somehow reassuring that there is room for second chances, and for a good director to have a chance to overcome a colossally stupid mistake.

UTA and The Safran Company rep Gunn.

This was the apology Gunn delivered last July: “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time. Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 02:48 PM

30. "I didn't think they'd do it, but I was wrong."
In response to Reply # 29

the people campaigning against him in the first place were literally fake people, but it's rare for execs to go back on anything

spirit
Charter member
21428 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 11:00 PM

31. "Glad he’s back. Mad we have to wait until after SS2 for GOTG3"
In response to Reply # 29
Fri Mar-15-19 11:04 PM by spirit

The upside is Gunn will probably make a way more awesome Suicide Squad sequel than the DCEU would have done otherwise (and will certainly top the original). If they pull off Shazam, Gunn rocks SS2, and Ava rocks New Gods, maybe we will finally see a run of good DCEU movies like we deserve. I confess I still haven’t seen Aquaman....

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #730661 Previous topic | Next topic