Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #729897

Subject: "Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino, 2018)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino, 2018)"

https://youtu.be/3uGIEY7tdg8

The original is horror classic.

This shit looks like it might be even more fucked up. Of course Luca Guadagnino would fuck up Suspiria even more than it already is.

Hope this good.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The trailer is fucking incredible.
Jun 04th 2018
Understandable
Jun 04th 2018
      pass
Jun 05th 2018
           RE: pass
Jun 05th 2018
           you could be right
Jun 05th 2018
                i nearly pocketed her phone and told her i'd give it back later
Jun 05th 2018
                     So glad I can get to an Alamo Drafthouse
Jun 05th 2018
                          people really wanting to see something vs. it's something to do
Jun 05th 2018
                               Alamo Drafthouse is weird....but I love it
Jun 05th 2018
                                    I know how you feel
Jun 05th 2018
                                         Maaaan listen...
Jun 06th 2018
           Gore to me is like when they announce a movie is gonna have an R rating....
Aug 23rd 2018
New trailer is outstanding nigga.
Aug 23rd 2018
same
Aug 23rd 2018
Seeing this tonight. Not expecting a "horror" movie
Nov 02nd 2018
will see this tomorrow
Nov 02nd 2018
ooookay
Nov 03rd 2018
Loved this shit.
Nov 04th 2018
I liked it, didn't love
Nov 06th 2018
      agreed, it was confusing
Nov 06th 2018
           RE: agreed, it was confusing
Nov 07th 2018
                lol, oh
Nov 07th 2018
                dumb
Nov 08th 2018
                     ^^^
Nov 08th 2018
It's kind of a mess. (spoilers)
Nov 08th 2018
buckshot approach is right
Nov 09th 2018
^I give both your reviews an A
Nov 09th 2018
Individual scenes I thought were dope as fuck though (spoilers):
Nov 09th 2018

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 08:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The trailer is fucking incredible."
In response to Reply # 0

Like, I don't want to see it because I've heard about the shit they've screened, and it's going to be so disgustingly gory...

... but FUCK, that's a trailer.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bwood
8613 posts
Mon Jun-04-18 10:39 PM

2. "Understandable"
In response to Reply # 1

Reading this really puts me off: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59jv48/luca-guadagnino-horror-movie-suspiria-dakota-johnson-cinemacon-vgtrn

At the same time Upgrade has gone, but not anything stomach churning.

I dunno. The older I get the less I want to see that type of shit.

But it's Luca remaking a horror classic with a Thom Yorke score...

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 06:25 AM

3. "pass"
In response to Reply # 2

I mean, this stuff is always built up as the most horrific scene of all time, and when I finally see it I'm usually like "eh, I've seen worse." Which might actually be the sole benefit of having seen several Takashi Miike films.

BUT

Yeah the gross and nauseating horror is not really a selling point for me. I'm not sure that it ever was. Okay yeah there's Dead Alive. But outside of that.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the original Suspiria for the weird and eerie tone. The colors, the strange ass soundtrack...it just had that bizarre and unsettling build up all the way to the crazy ass climax.

I guess that sort of thing isn't enough for today's younger horror fans.

At least I can safely move on from shit like this without wondering too much.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 07:48 AM

4. "RE: pass"
In response to Reply # 3

>I guess that sort of thing isn't enough for today's younger
>horror fans.

adults' attention spans have been ruined as well. i'll never forget a woman old enough to be my mother or grandmother pulling out her phone right in the middle of 12 years a slave, one of my favorite atmospheric horror movies of recent vintage as well as an Important Movie.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 08:34 AM

5. "you could be right"
In response to Reply # 4

On a side note, I'm not perfect at the theater by far, but MY biggest pet peeve, even over fools talking in the theater, is when people take out their cell phone during a movie. Nothing sets me off more than when I am immersed in a movie and suddenly in the corner of my eye I see someone light up their bright smartphone screen, like "Fuck everybody else here, I just need to sent this text right now."

I mean I get it, looking at your phone has become such a natural reaction. It's an addiction. And I've done it too--it's just I'll be stealthy and hide it with my coat or something so it doesn't distract anyone.

When folks are talking during a movie, I let it go for a while before I do anything. But man the moment I see someone's smartphone light up I am instantly ready to battle.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 08:52 AM

6. "i nearly pocketed her phone and told her i'd give it back later"
In response to Reply # 5

i didn't out of respect, even though she wasn't showing me or the rest of the packed theater any, and also of course the movie was already so intense it wouldn't have gone over well. by now, i've come to expect the bright screens. nearly every movie i see, at least one person does this. when this first started happening, i would go to the manager at the end and ask for some sort of refund and chastise them for allowing it, but everyone else's mind is so interlinked to their smartphone i just have to accept it on some level and really force myself to *think* and look past it. it's so unbelievably rude, but that's just the way people are nowadays, all about themselves. the horror is reality; chopping people up is just what's being projected on screen.

bwood
8613 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 09:37 AM

7. "So glad I can get to an Alamo Drafthouse"
In response to Reply # 6

Also press screenings.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 10:37 AM

8. "people really wanting to see something vs. it's something to do"
In response to Reply # 7

i notice audiences are a little more respectful at smaller budgeted/box office films and art house theaters. i'll also never forget the girl at cremaster 3 whose phone rang, telling her date, "i'm so ashamed." i've never heard that before or since at a movie.

at alamo drafthouse, don't they have food and drinks served *during* the movie, and per Nodima staff comes at exactly 20 minutes before the end to collect glasses and plates? i would find that distracting as well. really, i pine for the days i could go to a movie and the worst i'd have to deal with is people talking to each other, encroaching on my physical space, and avoiding spilled drinks.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 11:43 AM

9. "Alamo Drafthouse is weird....but I love it"
In response to Reply # 8

Was in Austin the weekend Doctor Strange came out and went there to see it. Didn't know they'd be serving food during the movie, one of my HUGEST pet peeves. Like, if a theatre even has one of those arm-tray thingies, I wont go to it. But at the Alamo, it didnt bother me. I never noticed the servers, never heard a fork hit a plate, nothing.

I always tell my wife I want to take her there for a movie so she can get thrown out. She's never seen a movie that she couldn't talk through. GOD it's aggravating.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Jun-05-18 02:52 PM

10. "I know how you feel"
In response to Reply # 9

On the Alamo place, I've never been there, but I've been to theaters with fancy seats where you get served throughout the movie. It's not as disruptive as you would think. It wasn't for me, at least, which was surprising.

But yeah man, I feel you on having a spouse that will talk through a movie. It's the reason why I only like watching movies with my wife when we go to the theater. Her love of talking through movies is surpassed only by her fear of pissing off other people in the theater. So that is the one time she will keep silent.

But at home? Sheeeit. She will either be on her phone or straight talk through plot twists, big reveals, climaxes, intense scenes, big jokes, EVERYTHING.

I have to rewind shit all the time to actually pay attention to scenes that she talked over the first time.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Jun-06-18 06:52 AM

11. "Maaaan listen..."
In response to Reply # 10

Between her being on her phone and asking "how'd he end up in jail??", and having to rewind 10 minutes of the movie to show her, or constantly asking "what'd she say? they mumble too much" and having to turn the cc's on (another HUGE pet peeve of mine), she makes it difficult to watch a movie.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Aug-23-18 04:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Gore to me is like when they announce a movie is gonna have an R rating...."
In response to Reply # 3

...before they have even shot anything. People get all excited about an R announcement like we're all still 13 year old. "YAY!! They're gonna say fuck!!!"

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

bwood
8613 posts
Thu Aug-23-18 09:12 AM

12. "New trailer is outstanding nigga."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6QKRl56Ok

Still, don't know if I can make it through. Really wanna see it but man that stuff about the gore...

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Aug-23-18 09:50 AM

13. "same"
In response to Reply # 12

I'm still a fan of horror movies, but as I get older I'm less and less into gory. Creepy and unsettling is more my bag. Which is kind of why I (and I think most people) liked the original so much.

I'll wait for the early buzz first. As it is now The Halloween remake might be the only other horror flick (after Hereditary) that I see in the theater this year. Maaaaaaybe The Nun if I can find a pal to go MST3K it with me on opening weekend.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Nov-02-18 01:03 PM

15. "Seeing this tonight. Not expecting a "horror" movie"
In response to Reply # 0

based on limited blurbs of reviews I've read. It's also not supposed to be anything close to the original. Will be going in with an empty mind and just let it assault my senses.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Fri Nov-02-18 09:11 PM

16. "will see this tomorrow"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't like horror movies but, Guadagnino makes my types of films so i'm in.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Sat Nov-03-18 05:36 PM

17. "ooookay"
In response to Reply # 16

started off well but, ultimately felt like a chore to watch.

bwood
8613 posts
Sun Nov-04-18 03:33 PM

18. "Loved this shit."
In response to Reply # 0

A lot to process, but yeah this is only for about 100 people in the world including me.

That scene is nowhere as near as bad as it was made out to be. Guess everyone is a pussy.

Deebot
26762 posts
Tue Nov-06-18 10:11 AM

19. "I liked it, didn't love"
In response to Reply # 18

The art direction/cinematography/score are all top notch. It's honestly worth seeing for those aspects alone. Many scenes/images that will stick in your head for awhile.

I totally disagree with some of the reviews saying this film is a punishing/boring viewing experience. I was interested and entertained throughout all 2 1/2 hours.

The only reason I didn't love the film is I just felt disconnected emotionally, especially with the ending. Did not resonate. I also have gripes with Tilda playing the old doctor...so fucking distracting and hard to understand.

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Tue Nov-06-18 12:43 PM

20. "agreed, it was confusing"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Nov-06-18 12:57 PM by Crash Bandacoot

the only thing i can think of is she played the doctor because
that was (one of) her morphed lives, he/she wanted answers and the
young head witch knew this. i have to believe there was something
more to it than having the same actress playing multiple roles, they
could have easily had someone else play that role. i think she also
played the demon witch in the basement, lol. such a peculiar movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Nov-07-18 03:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "RE: agreed, it was confusing"
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Nov-07-18 03:40 PM by The Analyst

Guadagnio more or less said he thought the story was a very feminine one and that having her play the (male) doctor would be a way of subliminally infusing the movie with more a more female identity. And also just because it would be a lot of fun.

----

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Wed Nov-07-18 07:08 PM

22. "lol, oh"
In response to Reply # 21

>

Deebot
26762 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 12:14 PM

23. "dumb"
In response to Reply # 21

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 07:20 PM

24. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 23

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Nov-08-18 08:11 PM

25. "It's kind of a mess. (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

Props to Luca for having a ton of ideas-- historical fascism allegory! topple the patriarchy! giallo gore fest!-- but they did not balance well imo. Combine that with the fact that he chooses like five different visual styles that he shifts between depending how he's feeling, and... yeah, it's not boring, it's just all over the place.

Tilda as Old Man is, as Deebot put it, dumb. He's the patriarchal character, but they want it to be played by a woman, but they also want no one to be able to tell it's a woman with photo-realistic makeup and a fake actor name... huh? Combine that with the fact that his/her storyline is faaaaaar less interesting than the rest of the movie, and it really drags the rest of the movie.

I also agree with Deebot that I was emotionally disconnected, likely due to the revelation that Susie is, in fact, the Mother of Sighs. I hardly felt anything resembling a "journey" from her, and she doesn't seem terribly conflicted about anything going on. Dakota Johnson also, while she's terrific at playing the lording Mother in the finale, really doesn't give me much for the first 2 hours and 15 minutes of movie. It's obviously intentionally internalized, but that's... a tough choice to get me to care, especially in a movie like this. Mia Goth elicits a much greater emotional reaction from me, but it's deadened by the fact that her fate is projected a million years away-- she's clearly only there as witch fodder.

The few #WokeWitch bits mostly got eye rolls from me, and the fascist background mostly reminded me of regional Shakespeare adaptations-- "it's Taming of the Shrew, but in Gangland 1920s! It's King Lear but with Nazis!" etc. Individual lines/scenes work, but as I try to put it all together into something relatively coherent... I can't. Maybe I'm just stupid.

I can see why people would like it despite the mess-- Lord knows I've loved some messy movies in my day-- but this didn't really do it for me. I admire Luca for putting his shit all the way out there and for taking his clout from his last two movies and saying "ok I'm going to do something audacious and pretentious and insane like THIS" with it. But... yeah, it seems like it's got a buckshot approach to its Big Ideas, which diminishes the overall impact of the stuff that does work imo.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 10:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "buckshot approach is right"
In response to Reply # 25

I haven't seen the original (or any Argento for that matter) but was vaguely aware of the fascism allegories and the weird music. Visually Guadagnino tries a lot of stuff, and some of the rehearsal scenes really hit the spot, as well as the dream sequences. But the movie never gets into a rhythm (maybe because of the flashbacks, and the doctor subplot) and fails to ramp itself enough for the big finale. Also I was puzzled why the constant references to Baader-Meinhoff stuff were always in the background but never really fleshed out. The witches hinted at Patrizia being in league with them, but left it at that. I did like the Thom Yorke music though it too was a bit disjointed.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Deebot
26762 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 05:06 PM

27. "^I give both your reviews an A"
In response to Reply # 26

Deebot
26762 posts
Fri Nov-09-18 05:26 PM

28. "Individual scenes I thought were dope as fuck though (spoilers):"
In response to Reply # 25

-The imagery in the opening credit sequence scored with Yorke's Suspirium, even if we don't know what's going on. Images fit the music beautifully and sets the melancholy tone.

-The dream sequences

-Witches ridiculing that detective's penis

-The dancer Sarah (I think it was) sneaking around and discovering the hidden witch den behind the glass walls. Pretty good suspense and cool set design.

-The Volk performance

-Old doctor getting manipulated and lured to dance company by image of his wife. Creepy and evil.

-When the entire screen tints blood red during ending ritual

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #729897 Previous topic | Next topic