Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #729549

Subject: "When people complain about cgi quality in movies (Blk Panther clip)" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu May-17-18 11:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"When people complain about cgi quality in movies (Blk Panther clip)"
Thu May-17-18 11:24 AM by Selah

i am amused when people say this, and while I agree - gaps in quality and blending can throw a viewer off, I ALSO consider the reality and dept of difficulty in the attempt

watching this video:

https://youtu.be/M-E5wDgptQA

(one of the effects leads from Black Panther gives a low-key technical behind-the-sceens view into some of his team's work...including some of the scenes people hate on)

again I'm reminded that this stuff ain't as easy as people assume when they are b*tching about it

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah. I blame less the CGi folks tho
May 17th 2018
This is where I am: if I care about the movie, it doesn't matter.
May 17th 2018
None of it is easy. Nobody cares.
May 17th 2018
basically.
May 18th 2018
Nothing touches the GOAT tho
May 18th 2018
BP didn't get enough credit for its great CGI
May 18th 2018
Just saw the movie. Was about to reference the original BP thread for
May 18th 2018
those rhinos were basura
May 18th 2018
If only because of it's relative rarity, great CG is very rare
May 18th 2018
worst Marvel CG ever is Ruffalo in the Hulkbuster at end of IW
May 18th 2018
most of the time i don't understand people's CGI complaints
May 18th 2018
Those were great to me
May 19th 2018
Nobody said its easy lol
May 19th 2018
RE: When people complain about cgi quality in movies (Blk Panther clip)
May 20th 2018
I totally understand why they used heavy CG in the last fight.
May 22nd 2018
      oh, I understood it too
May 22nd 2018

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu May-17-18 12:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Yeah. I blame less the CGi folks tho"
In response to Reply # 0

Much of it is on the script: kinda unfair to have a scene like

EXT. OUTERSPACE, ON TOP OF THE STARSHIP ENTERPRISE
(Capt.Kirk wearing Hulkbuster armor runs across the bow of the ship while shooting plasma bolts at space demons)

And expect it to be realistic and unnoticeable CGI. It’s a balance.

For instance in BP that Korea Kill Bill scene is currently my favorite action scene this year. Even though CGI was used at times (BP transforming and climbing up the rafters) but you had so much movement and comedy (the wig throwing) with three major characters having very well-choreographed fights at the same time,.

But it’s juxtaposed with a generic car chase scene right afterwards where the big ‘Oh snap!’ moment was pretty much an xbox game where he kinetic energies a car and flips perfectly to continue the fight. Id rather have a solid but fun shootout, chase than have that (but then again, Im someone of a certain age who by this point has seen thousands of films).

Or the most egregious; why have all the CGI people dancing in the mountain during the ceremonies? Couldn’t we have just hired a bunch of extras to just stand on a platform with a minimal amount of CGI

But I feel like with a movie that got so many hard things ‘right’ it’s like critiquing the first two Godfathers for continuity errors, lol.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86639 posts
Thu May-17-18 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is where I am: if I care about the movie, it doesn't matter."
In response to Reply # 1

>But I feel like with a movie that got so many hard things
>‘right’ it’s like critiquing the first two Godfathers
>for continuity errors, lol.

I love plenty of movies with moments of questionable CGI. But if I'm emotionally sucked in because the movie on the whole works, then I forgive a lot of CGI stuff.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu May-17-18 02:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "None of it is easy. Nobody cares. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-17-18 02:55 PM by bignick

You made it, people get to critique it.

>again I'm reminded that this stuff ain't as easy as people
>assume when they are b*tching about it

Also, I'm assuming this is about the fight scene on the train. Yeah, that shit was janky as hell.

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri May-18-18 01:53 PM

4. "basically."
In response to Reply # 3

yes, we all loved BP.

yes, some of the CG is crap, and it's okay to point that out.

yes, we all know CG is hard. that doesn't excuse crap CG.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Fri May-18-18 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Nothing touches the GOAT tho"
In response to Reply # 0

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IpyTQ1sDtjU/U4N0YHNDqSI/AAAAAAAAGQo/d8ri8zWyxi0/s1600/84C0124B8CAE4F0680BA7DFF6E02EABD-0000330241-0001916123-00480L-2455CE5A6C9F41129D0B0D7CB0FD1F5A.gif

Harry Hausen > CGI

Rjcc
Charter member
94934 posts
Fri May-18-18 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "BP didn't get enough credit for its great CGI"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Fri May-18-18 05:40 PM

7. "Just saw the movie. Was about to reference the original BP thread for "
In response to Reply # 0

CG critiques. Wasn't sure if people had issues with it.

But yeah, a few areas of poor CG completely took me out of the movie. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I have friends and colleagues working in the industry on theatrical stuff and I'm somewhat trained in Cinema 4D so my viewed is skewed to notice small shit. But man, they could've done better with the budget allotted. There is no excuse for some of those scenes to look the way they did in 2018. And don't cop pleas for the movie just from watching a BTS. Yes, it's a difficult job. But there are many agencies and post houses out there that could've handled it a lot better.

I haven't seen all Marvel/comic book movies, but what I have seen has looked much better overall than BP. And some of that shit was made over five years ago with outdated tech.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Fri May-18-18 09:01 PM

9. "those rhinos were basura"
In response to Reply # 7

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Fri May-18-18 06:38 PM

8. "If only because of it's relative rarity, great CG is very rare"
In response to Reply # 0

But for the better part of cinema history, great EFX work is also rare.

My sense is that modern movies' CGI is bad is partly with directors or cinematographers not understanding the limitations of CG and also the heightened standards that filmgoers have accumulated over the years.

It probably doesn't help that it seems execs at studios know that spectacle sells more than subtlety and maybe sequences get included into productions that really are unnecessary but will likely make some in the audience more likely to spend to see the movie while it's in its first run.

But real talk, solid EFX work is rare throughout cinema's history. In an artform that is already tasked to get people to 'fool' the audience into feeling that the humans projected on a 20 ft high screen are really experiencing and feeling the emotions the script calls for, tricking the senses to immerse itself into a fake environment is an endeavor that takes impossible levels of craft and patience.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Fri May-18-18 09:02 PM

10. "worst Marvel CG ever is Ruffalo in the Hulkbuster at end of IW"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-18-18 09:02 PM by Tiger Woods

that shouldn't have been shown in movie theaters

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12488 posts
Fri May-18-18 09:23 PM

11. "most of the time i don't understand people's CGI complaints"
In response to Reply # 0

lotta people complained about the CGI Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One and I was surprised by that. If I have one complaint it's that some movies look confusing when we get to the action scenes (Transformers and Justice League for instance) but overall it rarely bothers me.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20756 posts
Sat May-19-18 12:23 PM

13. "Those were great to me"
In response to Reply # 11

The smile was the only odd choice even if it was Carrie doing it herself if this was the 70s. It's an odd actor choice.

----------

IG @h_n_z

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20756 posts
Sat May-19-18 12:50 AM

12. "Nobody said its easy lol "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-19-18 12:51 AM by Heinz

But at the end of the day if it throws people off because the blending is bad (BP, Infinity War, TLJ of the most recent) then fix it. Reshoot it. Solve it cause its a failed scene. Its not an easy or cheap fix. But if its not fixed in the final cut we can critique it.

----------

IG @h_n_z

Birdzeye
Member since Feb 29th 2008
433 posts
Sun May-20-18 06:19 AM

14. "RE: When people complain about cgi quality in movies (Blk Panther clip)"
In response to Reply # 0

I really enjoyed BP and it’s up there with the best Marvel movies, but that CGI for the last fight with Killmonger was absolutely terrible and it does detract from the movie as a whole.

The thing I don’t understand is why they had such a heavy use of CG for two guys in suits fighting. Why not just use stuntmen and good choreography?

Lurk everyday.. Post once a month..

soulfunk
Charter member
10988 posts
Tue May-22-18 05:10 AM

15. "I totally understand why they used heavy CG in the last fight. "
In response to Reply # 14

>The thing I don’t understand is why they had such a heavy
>use of CG for two guys in suits fighting. Why not just use
>stuntmen and good choreography?

From a movie standpoint, that was T’Challa’s third fight of the film, with the first two being just two guys fighting, and the stakes needed to be upped for the final fight. But also in universe, the first two fights were “natural” - no super suits and the power of the Black Panther was stttttrrrrrrrriped away. The final fight had both wearing BP suits, and both having the power of the heart shaped herb. So there needed to be some superhero battle type CG happening to differentiate that final fight from the first two.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue May-22-18 08:56 AM

16. "oh, I understood it too "
In response to Reply # 15

And I understand that CG takes a lot of hard work and effort.

It just looked bad.

As with the rhinos, I'm surprised that at some point someone in production didn't see the final result and think: "Maybe let's try Plan B. Cause this shit does not look good."

Unless, I guess, they were like "We paid millions for this wack ass 90s video game cut-scene looking fight scene. It's staying in the movie."

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #729549 Previous topic | Next topic