Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #726635

Subject: "Dark (Netflix, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Dark (Netflix, 2017)"

Saw this German show described as a darker and slower Stranger Things, which is sort of accurate, though it's way less pop than ST. Really well shot, good soundtrack, acting was uneven (kids better than the adults overall IMO) but the story worked for me.
Don't want to describe too much but that ending had me hyped for season 2.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Dark (Netflix, 2017)
Dec 18th 2017
RE: Dark (Netflix, 2017)
Jan 03rd 2018
Thanks
Dec 18th 2017
dope show. a good mind bender.
Dec 22nd 2017
this is crazy good...and outside of the "missing child" part of the plot
Dec 27th 2017
lol ive only seen the first 2 eps, but come on
Dec 29th 2017
      yeah, watch the rest
Dec 29th 2017
man that finale killed my vibe
Jan 03rd 2018
I liked it...for the same exact reason you hated it
Jan 03rd 2018
      ^complains about a show called "dark" being.. too dark.
Jan 03rd 2018
           That's my point; it ruined the atmosphere and made it not dark
Jan 04th 2018
                different strokes for different folks i guess
Jan 05th 2018
its good, should had watched it all with subtitles instead of dubbed
Feb 08th 2018
this was a chore to get through.
Dec 31st 2018
I loved it
Dec 31st 2018

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Dark (Netflix, 2017)"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah this is pretty good. I'm only five eps deep, but I like it. I made the Stranger Things comparison too, but this show is way more dark and morose. Not as much "fun" but still pretty enjoyable.

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Wed Jan-03-18 06:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: Dark (Netflix, 2017)"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Jan-03-18 06:21 AM by Hellyeah

>Not as much "fun"

lol stranger things is like scooby-doo compared to this.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 03:44 PM

2. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 0

This kept popping up on my Netflix and i was wondering i should give it a look

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 05:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "dope show. a good mind bender."
In response to Reply # 0

also, i walked in not knowing anything about it so somewhere along the away i started assuming the story would wrap up by the last episode.

man, i was pissed/pumped at the season ending cuz of that. but yes, like you i can't wait for season 2.

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Wed Dec-27-17 03:21 PM

4. "this is crazy good...and outside of the "missing child" part of the plot"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-27-17 03:22 PM by Hellyeah

i don't get the comparisons with stranger things at all.

yeah it's partly set in the 80s bit without the corniness

i'm feeling some twin peaks vibes tho

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 05:17 PM

5. "lol ive only seen the first 2 eps, but come on"
In response to Reply # 4

>i don't get the comparisons with stranger things at all.

-rural/small town
-group of kids riding their bikes around town
-a gated power plant/secretive energy complex in the middle of it all
-search parties walking through the woods
-kids go missing one at a time, within 10 days of each other (will, barb)
-parents devastated the kids are missing
-the entire thing centers around a search for the missing kids while the characters affected by the search

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Fri Dec-29-17 06:15 PM

6. "yeah, watch the rest"
In response to Reply # 5

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Wed Jan-03-18 06:17 AM

7. "man that finale killed my vibe"
In response to Reply # 0

loved everything about this show, and i was about to call it the best thing in years...but the last 5 minutes were cringeworthy af and a total departure from the mood of the rest of the show...i'll still check out season 02 but i'll keep my expectations super low from now on

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jan-03-18 08:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I liked it...for the same exact reason you hated it"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Jan-03-18 08:07 AM by BigReg

Dark is good but some of the schticks wore me down.

1)Ok, I get that ‘everything is connected’. Do we continuously have to introduce extraneous characters in the various timelines just to prove they are all generational. At a certain point it felt like they were introducing plotline loops just because. For instance, I would love to follow the lesbian affair because it already seems like a great story on its own...but the only reason why it feels like its there is to fill in the “One major affair per generation” slot.

2)THE DAVID FINCHER/TRENT REZNOR SCARY SYNTHS TO DRUM HOME THIS IS SOME DARK SHIT.

3)Apparently all the time travel has fucked with the timeline itself because it felt like every other scene was filmed in slow...motion....to....drum....home....this....is....some....dark...shit,

4) More montages of niggas staring into space depressed please

With such an oppressed vibe there needs to be some lighter moments just to make the fucked up moments have more weight...when its all a slog its just a slog. Its why i liked the kids hooking up/all the lighter moments (Ulrich telling Harrke (sp?) to stand up to bullies, etc. Hopefully the future timeline will give some of those moments as opposed to continous shots of dead tortured kids

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Wed Jan-03-18 09:51 AM

10. "^complains about a show called "dark" being.. too dark."
In response to Reply # 9

lighter moments are ok, fuck there were plenty of them.

as long as season 2 doesn't go full "generic post-apocalyptic action movie with corny one-liners" i'll be good.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Jan-04-18 08:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "That's my point; it ruined the atmosphere and made it not dark"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Jan-04-18 08:26 AM by BigReg

Imagine if every time some fucked up shit happened in black mirror they went half the FPS speed, cycled through all the cast sitting in bed/in the car/in a chair at school with that same 'look into the abyss' moment to make sure you know THAT SHIT IS FUCKED UP.

That's the thing, for a dark show it just ended up being cheesy Like while imho Dark has much more potential Ozark did a MUCH better job using those same tools (long wilderness shots, heavy use of dissonance in sound, lots of contemplative shots of characters). There were times my girl looked down at her phone was like, "tell me when they are done with the sad montage"

Right now the sci-fi/drama elements are much much stronger than the horror/thriller elements. Its why the darkest moment, Ulrich trying to take the kid out, was the most effective since it was played as straight drama and it was horrifying in its simplicity.

Them adding a lighter storyline might help those scenes be more effective since they are overly reliant on them.

>lighter moments are ok, fuck there were plenty of them.
>
>as long as season 2 doesn't go full "generic post-apocalyptic
>action movie with corny one-liners" i'll be good.

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Fri Jan-05-18 06:37 AM

12. "different strokes for different folks i guess"
In response to Reply # 11

>There were times my girl looked down at
>her phone was like, "tell me when they are done with the sad
>montage"

usually my girl does that when she doesn't care at all about what we're watching.

this time she was glued to the screen for the entire time, even for the handful of seconds of "dramatic stares in empty rooms".

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Thu Feb-08-18 03:25 PM

13. "its good, should had watched it all with subtitles instead of dubbed"
In response to Reply # 0

the voice overs in english were killing me so halfway through the season i switched to german audio with english subtitles.

i had a hard time keeping track of who is who and im still a bit fuzzy. i think its easy to explain that this show is like stranger things just because the plot is set up so similarly, missing kid near power plant. the show as a whole is not like stranger things though and comparing them maybe does more harm than good.

definitely looking forward to a second season.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Dec-31-18 04:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "this was a chore to get through."
In response to Reply # 0

i prolly sound old but i dont have time to go through a shows entire wikia to sort out who is who.

Duc999
Member since Jun 05th 2009
1551 posts
Mon Dec-31-18 08:31 PM

15. "I loved it "
In response to Reply # 0

Can't wait to see season 2

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #726635 Previous topic | Next topic