Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725916

Subject: "Lady Bird (Gerwig, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Nov-17-17 12:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lady Bird (Gerwig, 2017)"

Tremendously well-made coming-of-age story. Ronan is one of the great actresses alive, any age. Supporting cast is aces, writing is sharp, every needle drop is perfect.

Seek this one out. It deserves year-end love.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Laurie Metcalf was incredible
Nov 17th 2017
She won't get the Supporting Actress Oscar buzz she deserves.
Nov 19th 2017
Aw man, why is she going to get overlooked?
Nov 20th 2017
Actually, I'll row back. I think I was wrong.
Nov 28th 2017
      yeah most of the stuff i'm seeing has her and janney as co-faves.
Dec 22nd 2017
Frances Ha is my favorite Baumbach for that reason.
Dec 13th 2017
she's always incredible
Dec 25th 2017
I'll look for it
Nov 17th 2017
Such a wonderful movie
Nov 18th 2017
Saw it last week and loved it
Nov 19th 2017
If you liked this, check out "Edge of Seventeen"
Nov 20th 2017
I loved that one too.
Nov 20th 2017
Highest rated on Rotten Tomatoes
Nov 28th 2017
pretty excellent.
Dec 13th 2017
Hanna killed it.
Dec 14th 2017
Not as good as Edge of Seventeen
Dec 14th 2017
I really disliked this movie
Dec 14th 2017
I liked this a lot
Dec 15th 2017
Letts quietly stole every scene he was in
Dec 25th 2017
Funny you menioned rushmore
Dec 25th 2017
I liked this movie A LOT
Dec 21st 2017
Everyone was incredible, Tracy Lets and Beanie Feldstein particularly so
Dec 25th 2017
Also the theatre teacher had me shedding a tear
Dec 25th 2017
it was cool.
Dec 27th 2017

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Fri Nov-17-17 05:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Laurie Metcalf was incredible"
In response to Reply # 0

Agreed on Ronan, obviously. But this was such a great look for a wonderful actress who's primary cultural referent according to my mom, is playing Sheldon's mother on Big Bang Theory. And my mom watched Roseanne reliably.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Nov-19-17 02:26 AM

4. "She won't get the Supporting Actress Oscar buzz she deserves."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Nov-19-17 02:26 AM by Frank Longo

She was outstanding. The scene driving away from the airport could've been so much more maudlin and overwrought than she played it, and in particular that moment really impressed me. Gerwig is such a natural filmmaker-- I was hit-or-miss on Baumbach until she got more involved in production with Frances Ha and Mistress America. She toes that line so perfectly, where she can criticize the flaws in her characters while also so very clearly displaying affection for them.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 01:59 PM

8. "Aw man, why is she going to get overlooked?"
In response to Reply # 4

Not a flashy role? Deep bench in "supporting actress" this year?

Teach me. I have literally no idea how this works. I just thought she was outstanding.

She did such a good job that it was the first bit of media that I'd ever recommended to my mom that featured an "overbearing mom" role that she didn't take personally. She once sat in on a lecture I did on Monica in Augustine's "Confessions" and got pissed off that I characterized their relationship as kind of weird. Laurie Metcalf - delivering top shelf dramatic/comedy work *and* saving me from awkward conversations with my own mother.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 07:11 PM

10. "Actually, I'll row back. I think I was wrong."
In response to Reply # 8

>Not a flashy role? Deep bench in "supporting actress" this
>year?
>
>Teach me. I have literally no idea how this works. I just
>thought she was outstanding.

First off, "flash" is a huge reason why I said what I did. These sorts of beautifully acted performances that lack many big showy scenes of screaming and wailing and gnashing of teeth tend to get overlooked year in and year out. Not always the case, but I don't think I watched Lady Bird and thought at any point, "There's the scene they'll play at the Oscars." Which I tend to see in most biopics and/or dramas about long-suffering women.

Second off, it rarely has to do with them being outstanding either. So much of it is political, along with name recognition/movie recognition/critical recognition/etc. I saw a category stacked with biopics (Stronger, I, Tonya, The Darkest Hour, Battle of the Sexes, and, slightly different, The Big Sick) and with previous winners (Julianne Moore, Octavia Spencer, Melissa Leo chief among them). I figured Metcalf might be one of those great performances relegated to the Independent Spirit Awards.

However, since that initial comment, Lady Bird is doing phenomenally at the indie box office ($11 mil to date, and it'll almost certainly become a higher grossing indie than anything Gerwig's done in her career to date), which makes a huge difference. In order for Academy members to vote for you, they have to either (a) know your name, (b) like you from having worked with you if you're someone who works a lot, or (c) actually *watch the film.* The more money it makes, the more buzz it generates, the more likely Academy voters are to pop the screener in-- which is insanely important considering its biggest stars, Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf, aren't exactly the biggest name draws at Hollywood parties. (For comparison, look at two performers last year in movies co-starring Gerwig-- Jackie, a biopic starring Natalie Portman about the Kennedys, and 20th Century Women, a quasi-biopic starring Annette Bening about liberals in late-1970s Santa Barbara. Jackie has the bigger name, the higher profile subject matter, and the higher box office. Portman gets a nomination, Bening gets snubbed. People know Bening, and she's worked forever, but not enough Academy voters watched it, I imagine.)

A24 has also very cleverly been publicizing the shit out of the fact that Lady Bird has the highest "tomato rating" in Rotten Tomatoes history. I loathe Rotten Tomatoes for a variety of reasons, but if they successfully put it into the moviegoing ear as something people *have to see*-- and the indie box office suggests they're doing pretty damn well at this so far-- then their odds go up tremendously.

Finally, re: my second initial point, a lot of those options have failed to generate momentum, while Lady Bird is riding high right now. So I think my concerns have been outweighed by a combination of (a) presumed front-runners sagging, (b) A24 promoting the movie wonderfully, and (c) the movie's reception by both critics and box office. (Notice, sadly, that at no point did I mention her being outstanding as a big factor. It plays a role, but every year there are so many outstanding performances that simply won't ever be watched by enough Academy members to make a difference-- and every year there are thick slices of ham served gracelessly that get voraciously lapped up by the same voters. So while she's a lock for *at least* my Top 5, personally, I try not to let my love for a performance influence whether I think someone will win/be nommed or not.)

Anyhow. Way too many words on this. tl;dr: I was wrong. I'm thinking now that she gets nommed-- and if Lady Bird can somehow cross 20/25 mil at the box office and keep this momentum going, she may actually have a chance to win too. (But I'm trying to remain cautious about my optimism for that.)

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Dec-22-17 09:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "yeah most of the stuff i'm seeing has her and janney as co-faves."
In response to Reply # 10

i haven't seen the film yet but i'd love to see laurie get recognized. she's been a beast for years.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 11:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Frances Ha is my favorite Baumbach for that reason."
In response to Reply # 4

>Gerwig is such a natural filmmaker-- I was hit-or-miss on
>Baumbach until she got more involved in production with
>Frances Ha and Mistress America. She toes that line so
>perfectly, where she can criticize the flaws in her characters
>while also so very clearly displaying affection for them.

--------

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Mon Dec-25-17 12:09 PM

20. "she's always incredible"
In response to Reply # 1

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Fri Nov-17-17 08:35 PM

2. "I'll look for it"
In response to Reply # 0

--------

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sat Nov-18-17 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Such a wonderful movie"
In response to Reply # 0

A bit like if Mike Leigh was from Sacramento and a woman and made a coming-of-age film. So many perfectly truthful moments in this, such full, decent characters. Nothing on the nose but it really adds up to something. One of the best I've seen in a long time.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Sun Nov-19-17 03:18 PM

5. "Saw it last week and loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

Really touching story without being over dramatic or relying too much on high school movie cliches. The acting was superb through and through. Hopefully it gets some serious awards season buzz.

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 12:22 AM

6. "If you liked this, check out "Edge of Seventeen""
In response to Reply # 0

Very similar movies, both from first-time female directors. And both with amazing lead performances. I'm still pissed Seventeen got lost in the shuffle when it came out; it's legit brilliant. I hope the same doesn't happen to Lady Bird. I'm excited to see what both directors do next.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 01:18 AM

7. "I loved that one too."
In response to Reply # 6

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Tue Nov-28-17 01:34 AM

9. "Highest rated on Rotten Tomatoes"
In response to Reply # 0

Ahead of Toy Story 2

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 11:22 PM

11. "pretty excellent."
In response to Reply # 0

evoked a lot of emotions for me -- not in exact parallel, but more about being young and thinking you know what you want. then realizing you have no idea, or that is was always there.

and now being older and being so caught up in "life" that you can forget to appreciate the moments worth remembering. because all we really have is time, time we don't get back when we drive away and try and circle back.

really good, personal debut by Gerwig. she has my attention.

--------

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Thu Dec-14-17 12:07 AM

13. "Hanna killed it."
In response to Reply # 0

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Thu Dec-14-17 10:26 AM

14. "Not as good as Edge of Seventeen"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-14-17 10:38 AM by Deebot

Or at least, not nearly as funny. First half of the movie is noticeably weaker than the 2nd. Most of the attempts at humor were too cutesy and missed the mark for me. Wasn't a fan of the frantic pace even though I understand the artistic decision. Gerwig nailed most of the dramatic scenes though...I think she has way more dramatic talent than comedic based on this film.

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Dec-14-17 04:25 PM

15. "I really disliked this movie"
In response to Reply # 0

I just could not relate to the character at all. I thought it was boring too. I was excited cuz I like Saoirse and Laurie.

żIf a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Dec-15-17 02:49 PM

16. "I liked this a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of uncomfortably real high school stuff going on here. I thought the contrast between how Ladybird was around her best friend(s), how she was with her boyfriend(s) and how she was with her parents was SPOT ON. Fun and chatty with her friend, shy and very "I need him to like me" around boys, and very confrontational with her family. I know coming of age movies are pretty well trodden terrain in movies, but I can't think of a movie that portrayed all that so well. Maybe Rushmore comes close?

Plus, props to the Chicago Steppenwolf Theater alums for holding down the supporting roles. Laurie Metcalf and Tracey Letts did their thing. I might have been most surprised by Tracey Letts. His performs is really restrained here, even though in every play I've seen him in his performance is cranked up x1000.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Mon Dec-25-17 11:08 AM

19. "Letts quietly stole every scene he was in "
In response to Reply # 16

The way he portrays the subtleness of depression.

Blew me away. I hope this film wins best picture

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Mon Dec-25-17 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Funny you menioned rushmore"
In response to Reply # 16

as i noticed a small rushmore poster on Lady Bird's bedroom wall. Nice small touch in a film full of them

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Dec-21-17 11:47 AM

17. "I liked this movie A LOT"
In response to Reply # 0

I laughed and laughed and almost cried. The overall film just felt very authentic. Laurie Metcalf did the damn thing. That mother/daughter relationship was such a delicate balance. Really well done. I love a good film on parenting that's raw. It's why I loved Boyhood so much.

Job well done.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

dgonsh
10693 posts
Mon Dec-25-17 05:22 PM

21. "Everyone was incredible, Tracy Lets and Beanie Feldstein particularly so"
In response to Reply # 0

i have more thoughts on the things i didn't care for, but overall fantastic to preach to the choir

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

dgonsh
10693 posts
Mon Dec-25-17 05:28 PM

23. "Also the theatre teacher had me shedding a tear"
In response to Reply # 21

what started out as comic relief turned out to be one of the most affecting characters in the film. Beautiful.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Dec-27-17 01:25 AM

24. "it was cool."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725916 Previous topic | Next topic