Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725730

Subject: "The Post (Steven Spielberg, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 07:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Post (Steven Spielberg, 2017)"
Wed Nov-08-17 07:52 AM by bwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXlY6gzTTM

I'm not watching that trailer as I'm seeing the movie literally right after Thanksgiving.

So hyped tho for Spielberg da gawd to come in and show how the free press can save all.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Stevie came wit it b.
Nov 20th 2017
Thanks for the tip. I might check this one out.......
Nov 20th 2017
Was good, but didn't like it as much as I thought I would...
Dec 11th 2017
Well done but heavy handed Oscar bait.
Dec 30th 2017
I loved it. Spielberg the God.
Dec 31st 2017
I heard it perfectly lines up with All The Presidents Men
Jan 05th 2018
All The Presidents Men is way better
Jan 05th 2018
      Yes because that's what my reply was about....
Jan 15th 2018
it was (surprisingly) great
Jan 13th 2018
Great movie, but Spielberg overly Speilberged it up.
Jan 14th 2018

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Stevie came wit it b."
In response to Reply # 0

Lots to marinate on.

It's timely for both it's feminist slant as well as the freedom of the press angle.

Big government vs. the press is gonna really hit home for some.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Mon Nov-20-17 02:15 PM

2. "Thanks for the tip. I might check this one out......."
In response to Reply # 1

I haven't been truly thrilled by a Spielberg film since Munich. I missed Bridge of Spies and I thought Lincoln was decent but not remarkable.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Was good, but didn't like it as much as I thought I would..."
In response to Reply # 0

Love it's politics, didn't really love all of its filmmaking.

Personally I think this is one of Spielberg's weaker recent efforts, with both Bridge of Spies and Lincoln being better.

The middle section is outstanding, just takes a while to get going. I know they turned this movie around in no time, but the first act could have used some tightening up.

The kicker of an ending is lame. There are some really cringe-worthy shots of hipppies protesting that look like they're out of a network TV show. And all the intentional "THIS IS REALLY ABOUT TRUMP, OBVIOUSLY" lines grated on me despite how much I despise the president, and also weren't really even necessary. (Example: At the end, they say something to effect of "WELP, HOPE WE NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANY OF THIS FREEDOM-OF-THE-PRESS SHIT AGAIN.") There's also a super corny shot of a bunch of young women staring at Streep in awe like she's a glowing messiah while walking down court house steps.

Lot of (bad) Spielberg hallmarks like syrupy strings and sentimental push ins on characters while they make Bold Statements. Also a lot of (good) Spielberg hallmarks like a masterful building of tension and escalation of stakes. The shot of the floor rumbling under Odenkirk was a nice touch.

Of course this will get a boat load of Oscar nominations. The only one deserved is Streep, who is very good.

----

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Sat Dec-30-17 02:13 AM

4. "Well done but heavy handed Oscar bait. "
In response to Reply # 0

Streep and Hanks are the shit tho.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sun Dec-31-17 12:46 PM

5. "I loved it. Spielberg the God."
In response to Reply # 0

Made me genuinely emotional for the idea of freedom of the press.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Jan-05-18 03:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I heard it perfectly lines up with All The Presidents Men"
In response to Reply # 0

----------

IG @h_n_z

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Fri Jan-05-18 11:03 AM

7. "All The Presidents Men is way better"
In response to Reply # 6

but then, All The President's Men is way better than most movies in general...

----

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Jan-15-18 12:45 AM

10. "Yes because that's what my reply was about...."
In response to Reply # 7

----------

IG @h_n_z

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sat Jan-13-18 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "it was (surprisingly) great"
In response to Reply # 0

somehow I never think I'm gonna enjoy these recent Spielberg joints, but I have to admit he always does something interesting. This one had some hokey parts (Carrie Coon reading the SC opinion, strong meh), but I'll be damn if it wasn't lively and fun throughout. Didn't mind the too-obvious Trump parallels, IMO the movie could apply, unfortunately, to many eras. The matinee audience I saw it with applauded at the end, which shows this may have been partly cathartic for some.

Shit, I may even have to watch this Ready Player One thing now, even though I really wasn't a fan of the book.

Oh and I had zeeero idea there was a Sicaro pt 2 coming out, trailer had me hyped up texting my buddy who's a big fan as well. Feels like a bit too close to the first one but fuck it if Benicio and Brolin are back who am I to complain.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Sun Jan-14-18 05:20 PM

9. "Great movie, but Spielberg overly Speilberged it up. "
In response to Reply # 0

That story and the people involved with it didn't need the in-your-face sentimentality Spielberg crammed into it. Mostly great acting, all the way around (Streep is an obvious master, but Bruce Greenwood was a spot-on Bob McNamara); I imagine nobody turned down any part in this. The score and soft lighting touches just irked me when the power and poignancy of this story should have been obvious, but, no, we have to have a sea of women outside the Supreme Court or those two totally unnecessary final scenes...

No other director could likely have pulled that cast together to do this but I sure wish a more subtle director got a stab at it.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725730 Previous topic | Next topic