Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725382

Subject: "Channel Zero S2 is the best surrealist/existential horror i've ever seen" Previous topic | Next topic
amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Tue Oct-17-17 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Channel Zero S2 is the best surrealist/existential horror i've ever seen"
Tue Oct-17-17 01:09 PM by amplifya7

So, take that with a grain of salt because I don't watch a ton of horror. But man, I love the four episodes of this second season so far, it blows the first season out of the water. The first one I loved the idea and there was some great imagery but the overall execution didn't hit the mark and there was some cheesy stuff. This season is amazing so far to me. John Carrol Lynch is too creepy. Anyone else watching?

a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_l6hSx5SU

decent article on it: https://io9.gizmodo.com/channel-zeros-return-is-skin-crawlingly-spectacular-1818566592

SWIPE:

The first season of Channel Zero, Syfy’s creepypasta-inspired anthology series, explored the nightmares of Candle Cove, a sinister TV puppet show. Season two, No-End House, features a new story, a new cast, and an even more dreadful evil. If you thrill to mind-warping horror stories, you do not want to miss this.

The show premiered last night, but we’ve seen all six episodes. This review obviously won’t give away many specifics, though anyone who wants to go in totally fresh should bookmark this page and check back after they’ve watched the whole thing. No-End House is best experienced without knowing too much going in, so here’s this, just in case:

Channel Zero: Candle Cove was about a man haunted by the faint yet disturbing memory of a secretly demonic children’s TV show, as well as the obviously related loss of his twin brother. The season crafted a complex story from a brief creepypasta tale that was written in the style of an online message board, an impressive feat. Candle Cove also poked into some dark places and yielded some very unsettling images (two words: Tooth Child). But it faltered a little bit when—after six episodes of slow-burn doom—it tried to explain its central mystery away too quickly.

No-End House is drawn from a longer original tale, though it’s just as “creatively inspired by” (rather than “faithfully adapted from”) its source material as Candle Cove. No-End House also deals with some similar themes, including family relationships that come unglued over time, and what happens to people when their memories become unreliable. This time, however, the story is much more satisfyingly structured, and the characters feel way more relatable. As a result, the traumatizing stuff that happens to them makes a much greater impact.

The two young women at the center of No-End House have been best friends since childhood. Outgoing Jules (Aisha Dee) has just wrapped up her first year of college; quiet Margot (Amy Forsyth) is still living at home and dealing with the sudden loss of her beloved father one year prior. There’s tension between them—Jules feels guilty over not being there for Margot in her time of need, and Margot resents Jules for the same reason—but they’re still going through the motions of being BFFs.

Everything changes when they decide, on a whim, to visit the “No-End House,” a mysterious pop-up attraction that’s more haunted mansion than Museum of Ice Cream, but has a similar appeal based on it being a social-media status symbol. Its six rooms purportedly contain unspeakable horrors, with a heavy emphasis on psychological manipulation. When Jules and Margot go inside, accompanied by their dates for the night (one a guy they’ve known since elementary school, the other a gentlemanly stranger), things zoom from fun to freaky very quickly. Given the house’s apparent ability to read minds, seamlessly shape-shift, and access alternate dimensions—and the heavy foreshadowing the show’s dropped on us—it’s not a huge surprise to see Margot’s dad (John Carroll Lynch) appear in what Margot belatedly realizes is the sixth “room,” which looks exactly like her own home.

Things get... even stranger from there, and No-End House does a great job of balancing grisly body horror with waves of utter dread and, somehow, a few genuinely heartfelt moments. Margot’s excitement at seeing her father alive again (who wouldn’t want to steal a few more moments with a dearly departed loved one?) almost eclipses her common-sense reaction that, uh, something is very wrong here, because this is not possible. The show—penned by different writers under the guiding hand of series creator Nick Antosca—manages to flesh out this bizarre reunion in ways that are both scary and sweet. The other characters also evolve convincingly, with Lynch (last seen reprising his role as Twisty the Clown on American Horror Story: Cult) doing some heavy lifting as a guy who knows he’s not supposed to be where he is, but dangit, he loves his daughter and he wants to be with her.

Just like Candle Cove, all six No-End House episodes were helmed by a single director with an indie-filmmaking background, which makes for an excellent sense of visual continuity. This time around it’s Steven Piet, who brings undeniable menace to the flat, relentlessly beige suburban neighborhood that surrounds the titular attraction, a pointy, murdered-out dwelling with a plaque out front that attributes its construction to an “unknown artist.” Though No-End House spills some secrets at the end, there’s no meta-reveal—no moment where we learn exactly who made the house, and why. Instead, we’re left with a palpable sense that we’re better off not knowing, and the show is ultimately stronger (and scarier) for it.

Horror has rarely been one of TV’s most popular genres—aside from American Horror Story, which has been a chore to watch this season—but a show like Channel Zero, which mixes intriguing storytelling, artful execution, and disturbing frights, could help change that. The anthology series has at least two more six-episode seasons on the way (Butcher’s Block in 2018, and Hidden Door in 2019), we can’t wait to see how this show will terrify us next.

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What I really appreciate about this season is that they didn't copy the
Oct 17th 2017
Glad at least one other person on here dug it...the finale was incredibl...
Oct 27th 2017
Season 3 "Butcher's Block" started this past Wednesday
Feb 14th 2018
Guess i'll just bump this for S4: The Dream Door
Sep 30th 2018
First episode is on demand on SyFy early
Oct 04th 2018

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Tue Oct-17-17 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What I really appreciate about this season is that they didn't copy the "
In response to Reply # 0

creepy pasta it's based on. like i read the story, and the concept of the house is the same. but the story line and the ending is obviously different unlike the first season which basically followed the whole story line of the story it's based on.

But yes, this is really exceptional and I wished more people actually liked the SyFy channel because this is so good.

*SPOILERS*
I completely forgot that dude had walked into the field to follow them until he killed old dude looking for his wife. And when he came outside of the house...I yelled! This is excellent story telling. I want to know the deal with the ball her friend is so caught up in. I may need to rewatch this series and I wish they showed us the man walking through the house because I wonder how he dealt with the things they encountered going from room to room.

amplifya7
2989 posts
Fri Oct-27-17 06:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Glad at least one other person on here dug it...the finale was incredibl..."
In response to Reply # 1

>creepy pasta it's based on. like i read the story, and the
>concept of the house is the same. but the story line and the
>ending is obviously different unlike the first season which
>basically followed the whole story line of the story it's
>based on.
>
>But yes, this is really exceptional and I wished more people
>actually liked the SyFy channel because this is so good.
>
>*SPOILERS*
>I completely forgot that dude had walked into the field to
>follow them until he killed old dude looking for his wife. And
>when he came outside of the house...I yelled! This is
>excellent story telling. I want to know the deal with the ball
>her friend is so caught up in. I may need to rewatch this
>series and I wish they showed us the man walking through the
>house because I wonder how he dealt with the things they
>encountered going from room to room.
>
>

amplifya7
2989 posts
Wed Feb-14-18 10:41 AM

3. "Season 3 "Butcher's Block" started this past Wednesday"
In response to Reply # 0

Promising start, I'm into it. Still some emotional/family/mental health components to it but seems it will be a lot more physical horror/gore than S2

amplifya7
2989 posts
Sun Sep-30-18 10:11 AM

4. "Guess i'll just bump this for S4: The Dream Door"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Sep-30-18 10:11 AM by amplifya7

Trailer looks amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJ0tZUs4No

amplifya7
2989 posts
Thu Oct-04-18 09:39 AM

5. "First episode is on demand on SyFy early"
In response to Reply # 4

Loved it, I can't imagine liking it more than NEH but this might end up my 2nd favorite season.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725382 Previous topic | Next topic