Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725350

Subject: "Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Zahler, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Mon Oct-16-17 09:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Brawl in Cell Block 99 (Zahler, 2017)"

Zahler is back with another slow-burn into hyper-violent pulp madness movie. Similar to Bone Tomahawk, I actually appreciate the dramatic work in his films and pretty much everything up until the over-the-top brutality of the third act.

Vaughn is GREAT here and succeeds where he failed in the second season of True Detective. The Don Johnsonaissance continues chugging along as well. Jennifer Carpenter is the world's skinniest pregnant woman. fun cameos from Fred Mehlamed, Smalls from Sandlot and solid character work from the majority of the cast add to the texture of the film and class up the joint.

It's definitely old-school reactionary exploitation filmmaking and Zahler continues to build his conflicts on the old white women menaced with sexualized violence from non-whites trope (see Wraiths of the Broken Land and Bone Tomahawk). In a way that adds to the trash cinema pedigree and keeps the movie from being another exploitation homage and instead modern-day update of the genuine article.

Zahler continues to be an interesting yet frustrating filmmaker. I want to see his films but I only want to see them once due to their descent into gore and gross-out effects work. Although the violence here, while brutal and bone-crunching, is nowhere near as disturbing as in Bone Tomahawk and definitely almost comical at times. In fact the third-act here feels slight in comparison to my expectations and those expecting a Raid 2-scale brawl will be disappointed.

I'm gonna sit with the soundtrack if I can find it because while the O'Jay's sound great, the songs, which Zahler wrote are kind of mess from a songwriting standpoint. Great idea nonetheless.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this was surprisingly dope.
Dec 31st 2017
Vince Vaughn was perfect
Jan 01st 2018
I liked it, although the final shot felt needless.
Jan 01st 2018
Zahler's a horror director in a genre director's shoes.....
Jan 01st 2018
reminded me of an old faces of death tape.
Jan 01st 2018
Just watched it, really liked it.
Jan 01st 2018
nice one, stayed up most of the nice watching it
Jan 02nd 2018

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Dec-31-17 10:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this was surprisingly dope."
In response to Reply # 0

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Mon Jan-01-18 01:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Vince Vaughn was perfect "
In response to Reply # 0

Glad hes getting back to doing great material

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Jan-01-18 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I liked it, although the final shot felt needless."
In response to Reply # 0

Sometimes his gore toward "heroes" feel cruel for cruelty's sake, which I'm not really about. I'm fine watching bad guys get gory comeuppance, but both the awful axe-hacking in Bone Tomahawk and the final shot here feel unnecessary to the point of me re-examining how much I like the movie on the whole.

He's clearly a very talented filmmaker though. I love the dialogue, and Vaughn is terrific here.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Mon Jan-01-18 05:34 PM

5. "Zahler's a horror director in a genre director's shoes....."
In response to Reply # 3

His style is begging to be put to use in a straight up horror film. I think going that route would serve him well since the horror genre has been pretty good in the past four-to-five years.

A lot has already been said about the third acts in Zahler's films. The violence is so high at the end that it basically becomes the film's main takeaway. When I saw Bone Tomahawk I remembered the violent deaths more than the actual plot.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Jan-01-18 10:53 PM

6. "reminded me of an old faces of death tape."
In response to Reply # 3

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Jan-01-18 04:56 PM

4. "Just watched it, really liked it."
In response to Reply # 0

Like Bone Tomahawk, this was a slow burn with blasts of violence that make it memorable. Vince Vaughn really shines here too.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Tue Jan-02-18 09:42 AM

7. "nice one, stayed up most of the nice watching it"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #725350 Previous topic | Next topic