Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #724000

Subject: "Sid and Nancy, Cox, 1986" Previous topic | Next topic
denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 03:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sid and Nancy, Cox, 1986"
Tue Aug-08-17 03:13 AM by denny

I dismissed this film right out the gate when I first saw it. There are two fatal flaws. Johnny Rotten is horribly miscasted and the sound production for the live performances is so terrible it burns. If you watch this movie as a Sex Pistols fan...you will hate it. It's a very unhip take on the punk rock scene and can't be taken seriously as an archivist's source on that culture.

But I revisited it and I've done a complete 180 on this flick....It's an absolute masterpiece. The shots are long and very few edits. The pivotal scenes contain 2 to 4 shots maximum and the editing is minimalist. It's not about punk rock. It's about co-dependency and tainted love. I'm not sure where else we can find a more poetic and beautiful depiction of that in modern films. It's also hilarious and contains alot of camp. Inversely....it gets heroin and opiate use right. Hard to put in words because it's art....but this movie conveys opiate addiction very accurately...small details like the terminology in the dialogue.....the character's physical symptoms.....the underlying psychology of withdrawal.....it all rings very very true. A rare feat.

The two lead performances can't be understated. This is one of the greatest accomplishments of Gary Oldman. Dude's resume has to be the most diverse and eccentric list of film roles. Even when I dismissed the movie on first viewing I acknowledged how incredible his performance is here. I hated Chloe Webb as Nancy but in retrospect....I hated her because she was SO GOOD in that role. The chemistry between the two of them is something we don't see as often anymore. Partly because of the editing.

I really miss movies like this. For each scene....find 2 to 5 SPECTACULAR shots and commit to them. Then edit them sparingly. Let the actors act. Here's a clip that eventually shows one of the best phonebooth scenes ('the birds' is probably best ever). I included a short tracking shot the leads to it with one of the original score pieces. A San Fran score team called 'Prey for Rain' provided 5 pieces....like haunted Kraftwerk music with alt-guitar. There's around 4 or 5 scenes that are just stunning to look at while a 'Prey for Rain' track accompanies:

https://youtu.be/uBDIiJ64REE?t=1684

I had thought it was mostly trashed by critics but apparently not. Never really hear about this movie unless someone's bashing it because it's disappointing to punk rock fans.

The garbage falling shot with score:

https://youtu.be/uBDIiJ64REE?t=4900

The burning room with score:

https://youtu.be/uBDIiJ64REE?t=5205

Absolutely gorgeous.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's one of the best movies of the 80's
Aug 08th 2017
Man...
Aug 09th 2017
I haven't seen this one in decades.
Aug 18th 2017

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13963 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 11:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's one of the best movies of the 80's"
In response to Reply # 0

really good movie

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Aug-09-17 09:02 PM

2. "Man..."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Aug-09-17 09:20 PM by denny

NEver Mind The Bullocks was the first cassette tape I bought as a kid. I've been revisiting it. By the time you get 45 seconds into the second song you feel like you've been run over by a mack truck. It's just so relentless. People talk about GNR 'Appetite for Destruction' in the same way I feel about Bullocks. Perhaps it was my age....but even now looking back....they're alot closer to Little Richard and Chuck Berry than GNR could ever hope to be. One of the best rocknroll albums of all time. Years later...I guess I wanted this movie to be like a sex pistols document and it's horrible in that regard.

But with a different lens....it really is a great movie. I'd even say 'classic'. Gary Oldman is a force of nature. Dracula, Beethoven, Sid Vicious, Lee Harvey Oswald, Currupt cop in the Professional, mental patient given shock therapy in Chattahoochee, Commissioner Gordon, White wanna-be Rasta in True Romance, Albert Milo in Basquiat.....And it was his turn in Sid and Nancy that really propelled his whole career. He was an unknown at the time...first feature role. He's on that top level with Denzel and DeNiro imo. Lydon HATED the movie of course...but even he had to give it up for Oldman. Absolutely NOONE will ever do a better depiction of Sid Vicious EVER.

I've seen just about every movie there is about opiate addiction. Sid and Nancy might be the best in that context. Top 3 at least.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 12:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I haven't seen this one in decades."
In response to Reply # 0

Probably literally since I was a 14 year old Sex Pistols fan.

Anyway - you're making me want to revisit.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #724000 Previous topic | Next topic