Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #722834

Subject: "The Beguiled (Sofia Coppolla, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon Jun-19-17 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Beguiled (Sofia Coppolla, 2017)"

It's pace is deliberately slow even if it's only 95 minutes.

Shows just much of a dickhead men can be. Also shows just how manipulative and conniving they can be. This is a crazy film.

Sofia Coppolla has become a better director with each passing film both visually and with performances. And the score by Phoenix is awesome.

Just like It Comes At Night, I liked it but will only watch it once.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What is PTP's take on the script?
Jun 26th 2017
I'm cool with it.
Jun 26th 2017

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Jun-26-17 08:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What is PTP's take on the script?"
In response to Reply # 0

Regarding the exclusion of the Black character?

Her explanation seems solid. She stated that she considered including the Black character from the book but she was stereotypical. So, the intelligent thing to do was the omit the character.

I guess she could have written a new part but she also knew that she couldn't do justice to the themes of race and slavery of that era.

There was a story on the web that said Coppola could have reached out to a prominent Black female author to doctor the script. Maybe she did but couldn't settle on a version of the movie that satisfied her vision and the newly written character.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon Jun-26-17 09:46 PM

2. "I'm cool with it."
In response to Reply # 1

A lot of motherfuckers are angry at "Erasure" but I'm sick of us as slave and like you said, her reasoning was solid.

She knew she couldn't do it justice and/or it would've been problematic, so good on her for playing to her strengths.

I think had Ava DuVernay or Prince-Bythewood, they've could've handled it properly.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #722834 Previous topic | Next topic