Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #721571

Subject: "American Gods (Gaiman on STARS)" Previous topic | Next topic
Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Apr-30-17 11:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"American Gods (Gaiman on STARS)"

anyone check the premier tonight?
so far so good...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1898069/

i didn't read the book, so i know nothing going in. (my wife and daughter read it and dug it)

anyone else catch it?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Very different. Dug it.
Apr 30th 2017
Fuck. Not sure if I want to finish the book first
May 01st 2017
How far are you into the book?
May 01st 2017
Orlando Jones as Anansi. CRAY CRAY.
May 02nd 2017
Very good solid start. Its interesting seeing Fuller's work here
May 02nd 2017
The feel of the show was a lot different than I remember of the book
May 08th 2017
Orlando Jones for the win.
May 08th 2017
Yeah, he killed that scene
May 08th 2017
no doubt about it, Orlando OWNED that one...
May 09th 2017
3rd episode was solid
May 18th 2017
not gonna lie...i'm getting bored with this show
May 23rd 2017
This flashback episode was exactly what they didn't need
May 23rd 2017
      That flashback episode was totally NOT required.
May 23rd 2017
           I haven't read the book.
May 23rd 2017
           Shit, I loved the flashback. Yeah, it didn't move the storyline forward
May 30th 2017
omg this show is so good
May 29th 2017
yep... i'm enjoying it more than i thought i would
May 30th 2017
      Yeah, he should know the deal by now
May 30th 2017
I binged the first four episodes
May 30th 2017
Episode 5 was awesome!
May 30th 2017
The Leprechaun and Laura as comedic couple of the year
Jun 06th 2017
The cursing
Jun 07th 2017
The Leprechaun is the only one it sounds 'right' with
Jun 07th 2017
THIS IS GOOD!
Jun 22nd 2017
Bruh I've had a crush on Gillian for like 20 years now
Jun 24th 2017
Had no idea what I was in for
Jun 24th 2017
Finally watched the season ender
Jun 27th 2017
Good show. Looking forward to seeing more.
Aug 08th 2017

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Apr-30-17 11:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Very different. Dug it."
In response to Reply # 0

So, uh, yeah.

Crazy first episode. I really dug it although I thought Shadow Moon should have shown a little more reaction to all of the crazy shit he was seeing around him. He kind of just plowed through it all.

Yetide Badaki with the sex scene of the year. Bryan Fuller kills it with the visuals (and/or credit to director David Slade.)

Definitely not something I'd recommend to everyone but if you thought the plot really slowed Hannibal down and it needed to get 100% more weird, this is for you.

Given the little I know about it, I'm fine with a lot of world building in season 1 and am willing to go along for the ride for now.

Interested in hearing how Gaiman fans take to the adaptation.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44851 posts
Mon May-01-17 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Fuck. Not sure if I want to finish the book first "
In response to Reply # 0

Or just dive into the show.

I've been on a start/stop with the audiobook for maybe a year.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Mon May-01-17 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "How far are you into the book?"
In response to Reply # 2

I read it almost 13 years ago, and it read pretty quickly (I was on vacation at the time).

The first episode is very much the early chapters of the book. But I can tell that some stuff is going to be left out and other stuff is going to be expanded. So, you might want to go ahead and plow through it if you get the chance.

That's all I'll say, because I don't want to turn this into a book/TV show post.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Tue May-02-17 08:05 AM

4. "Orlando Jones as Anansi. CRAY CRAY."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-02-17 11:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Very good solid start. Its interesting seeing Fuller's work here"
In response to Reply # 0

He went full Hannibal a few times (the opening scene, that big fight towards the end).

I will say that the story seems a bit 'dry-er' then I remember the book being, but I assume that's because we are still in world building mode.

I also hope Shadow gets a bit more of a personality, right now he's just an improved Vin Diesel, lol.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon May-08-17 09:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "The feel of the show was a lot different than I remember of the book"
In response to Reply # 0

I read it some years back.
The show is super surreal from the jump, and I remember the book seeming pretty straight forward before it started to become all supernatural like that.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Mon May-08-17 12:22 PM

7. "Orlando Jones for the win. "
In response to Reply # 0

Good Lord! (no pun intended)

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Mon May-08-17 01:39 PM

8. "Yeah, he killed that scene "
In response to Reply # 7

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue May-09-17 10:37 PM

9. "no doubt about it, Orlando OWNED that one..."
In response to Reply # 7

... what a killer opening ... he nailed that sheet!

2nd Ep even better than 1st.....i'm loving it. love the way they're presenting it...

there are some great performances all around, cow killer dude nailed his performance too, and the surprise big names that pop up here and there (Mz Leachman had me cracking up!)..and that Ian McShane cat is ALLways fantastic in every role i've ever seen him in....

and how about (Spoiler) ...

Scully as Lucy!
i couldn't figure out why i thought the actress playing Lucy looked familiar, my wife looked at me with that face and said ''Cus thats Gillian Anderson/Scully ya big dummy"...

yeah...i'm all in on this one....have no idea where its going and loving every moment of not knowing....

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Thu May-18-17 09:51 PM

10. "3rd episode was solid"
In response to Reply # 0

This show is filmed beautifully.
I guess because I was hoping for another Bilquis sex scene, I got punished and had to watch them hairy Arabic dudes go at it. Also Mad Sweeney should be on all episodes. Dude is always interesting to watch. Do the coffee grounds in Episode 2 form a bird which is the bird that flies on top of the car in the opening credit?

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue May-23-17 09:05 AM

11. "not gonna lie...i'm getting bored with this show"
In response to Reply # 0

my attention span aint shit nowadays...if it ain't top tier tv i have a really hard time watching too long...might bail

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue May-23-17 09:23 AM

12. "This flashback episode was exactly what they didn't need"
In response to Reply # 11

Obviously, it's a hugely important moment so they couldn't gloss it over but with everything moving so slowly, a lengthy flashback was not what I was looking for.

I'm still in but my interest in waning a bit and it's slipping towards, "I'll hold off and bing later" territory.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue May-23-17 02:05 PM

13. "That flashback episode was totally NOT required. "
In response to Reply # 12

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Plato

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue May-23-17 03:32 PM

14. "I haven't read the book."
In response to Reply # 13

We didn't need that much flashback but I assumed that the wife was going to be a big character so probably good to get her backstory.

----

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-30-17 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Shit, I loved the flashback. Yeah, it didn't move the storyline forward"
In response to Reply # 13
Tue May-30-17 02:05 PM by BigReg

but the story of the 'asshole wife' (c) Leprechaun was a great one.

On one hand it looks like with her supernatural strength and Shadow-radar she's going to serve as some kind of guardian angel/bodyguard for him so she needed some development outside of 'cheating wife'.

And as far as that development goes how often do you have such a patient character study of that kind of person we've dated who may 'love' us but isn't 'in love' with us, lol.

Just a great fully fleshed look at depression, happiness, marital infidelity, etc. She's an asshole but at least we understand why.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon May-29-17 02:31 PM

15. "omg this show is so good "
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue May-30-17 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "yep... i'm enjoying it more than i thought i would"
In response to Reply # 15

....my only real gripe is Shadow saying " is this real?" every 10 mins

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-30-17 01:58 PM

17. "Yeah, he should know the deal by now"
In response to Reply # 16
Tue May-30-17 02:06 PM by BigReg

I figure right now he should be at the stage where it was more about demanding answers from a forever vague Mr.Wednesday than wondering if all the weird shit was real.

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Tue May-30-17 03:17 PM

19. "I binged the first four episodes"
In response to Reply # 0

yesterday and this morning. With complete and total ignorance, this show reminds a lot of Preacher. I suppose folks that are familiar with both works have already made that comparison in the past, so bare with my new jack insight there. The visuals for this has me hooked, so the fairly nebulous storytelling so far hasn't gotten me to bored yet.

Should be interesting to see how weird Crispin Glover will be since this show is already out there as it is without him being involved through the four episodes I've seen so far.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Tue May-30-17 11:47 PM

20. "Episode 5 was awesome!"
In response to Reply # 0

This is the first episode Shadow realizes that he is facing some otherworldly characters and event to the point where he shouldn't be questioning his sanity any more. What was the deal with the tree? Was that another deity? If it is are there old gods working in alliances with new gods? Was Anansi with them all along? Almost like Mr Wednesday conjured his help just to unlock the cuffs and they don't mention him again. Crispin Glover's introduction was beautifully done. I'm intrigued by how normal human beings will explain what caused the aftermath in that police station. Gillian Anderson looks like she's having the fun of her life in this role. Never seen her play such a lively character. They literally sonned Technical Boy lol

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 02:05 PM

21. "The Leprechaun and Laura as comedic couple of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

LOL@him calling her 'asshole wife'/'dead wife' every chance he gets.

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 07:50 AM

22. "The cursing"
In response to Reply # 0

in the most recent episode (the rise and fall of Vulcan) was a bit of an overkill for me; in certain scenes, the performers cursed after every third word it seemed. This bother anyone else? Took me out of the show a little bit.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:33 AM

23. "The Leprechaun is the only one it sounds 'right' with"
In response to Reply # 22

Since they built the character up to be a bar-fight bruiser type. Everyone else is particularly eloquent (probably because of the book source material) so sometimes it sounds a bit 'off' imho

>in the most recent episode (the rise and fall of Vulcan) was
>a bit of an overkill for me; in certain scenes, the performers
>cursed after every third word it seemed. This bother anyone
>else? Took me out of the show a little bit.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Jun-22-17 12:49 PM

24. "THIS IS GOOD!"
In response to Reply # 0

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Plato

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Jun-24-17 05:20 PM

25. "Bruh I've had a crush on Gillian for like 20 years now"
In response to Reply # 0

This is my new fave "baked as shit at 1 am" show right now.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sat Jun-24-17 11:57 PM

26. "Had no idea what I was in for"
In response to Reply # 0

Watched the first episode and was confused as hell. First thought was that it reminded me of Hannibal. Then I found out later it was Bryan Fuller and it made sense.

Anyway, decided to read the book first after I watched episode 2.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jun-27-17 08:05 AM

27. "Finally watched the season ender"
In response to Reply # 0

So far all the actors (outside of poor Shadow who's just supposed to look good and confused) have been killing it...Kristin Chenoweth is excellent casting.

Now that we are less in discovery mode and the cards are pretty much all on the table it's going to be fun to see how they play with the dynamics since they don't have to play hide and seek with everyone's motives/secrets anymore.

Just a great show all around, Hopefully season 2 gets more episodes.

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Tue Aug-08-17 03:12 AM

28. "Good show. Looking forward to seeing more. "
In response to Reply # 0

Someone put me up on the show, checked it out and did not dissapoint. Checking out the comic version of it now for kicks.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #721571 Previous topic | Next topic