Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719571

Subject: "Brad Grey won't greenlit Fincher's World War Z 2 " Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8599 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 09:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Brad Grey won't greenlit Fincher's World War Z 2 "
Tue Feb-07-17 09:24 PM by bwood

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-paramount-enlist-david-fincher-revive-world-war-z-sequel-972950

FEBRUARY 07, 2017
2:40pm PT by Tatiana Siegel
Will Paramount Turn to David Fincher to Revive 'World War Z' Sequel?
The 2013 original grossed $540 million worldwide, but the studio just pulled a follow-up from its 2017 slate without scheduling any future release date.
'World War Z' (2013)

The 2013 original grossed $540 million worldwide, but the studio just pulled a follow-up from its 2017 slate without scheduling any future release date.
Can Paramount bring the undead back from the dead?

Though the studio on Monday pulled the zombie tentpole World War Z 2 from its 2017 release schedule, without targeting any future release date, filmmaker David Fincher, who has been rumored to be considering the project, is still "very creatively interested in directing the movie," says a source.

But if Paramount continues to drag its heels on the Brad Pitt starrer, the future viability of the potential franchise's appeal could begin to diminish, some rival executives say. And that would present a problem for a studio that boasts few viable franchises, particularly of the homegrown variety like World War Z. Insiders say Paramount is now eyeing a 2018 or 2019 release date, even though it has yet to make a move to put the film back on the schedule.

The in-demand Fincher — who enjoys a close relationship with Pitt after having made a number of movies together, including The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Fight Club — was very much on board with a new take on the sequel from writer Dennis Kelly, creator of the buzzy British show Utopia. In fact, Fincher and Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn had been collaborating on a U.S. remake of Utopia for HBO before that project fell apart over budget issues.

The budget on World War Z 2 was not an issue, say insiders. Fincher was looking to make the film about a man and his family navigating a zombie apocalypse at a budget less than the original's $190 million. But Paramount chief Brad Grey was not ready to greenlight the follow-up to the 2013 hit, which grossed $540 million worldwide.

Grey's inaction has raised eyebrows in town, considering Fincher's pedigree as a director who could elevate the property well beyond a genre film. The studio even has a financial partner to mitigate the risk, since Skydance Productions is co-producing and co-financing the film.

"He really would like to do it," says a source of Fincher's interest. "It's up to Paramount."

When the studio moved World War Z 2 from its schedule on Monday, the news was met with little surprise given that the pic, which had been slated for June 9, had not begun filming and had no directing deal in place.

J.A. Bayona (A Monster Calls) had originally been tapped to helm, but he left the project in January 2016. At the Toronto International Film Festival in September, Bayona told The Hollywood Reporter that he'd decided to exit the project because he was not being given enough time to prep. "I loved those guys at Paramount and Plan B," he said. "I just can't work like that."

If Paramount can get World War Z 2 moving forward, it won't be the first time the property, which is based on Max Brooks' novel of the same name, has overcome obstacles. The original World War Z, which was directed by Marc Forster, was fraught with problems during production, with expensive reshoots taking place after test audiences complained about the third act.

Pitt is producing the follow-up alongside Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Skydance's David Ellison. Ian Bryce, who produced the original, is no longer involved with the new project. Steven Knight (Burnt) penned an earlier draft of the sequel

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I remember the first movie had all sorts of story and budget issues.
Feb 08th 2017
I kinda don't buy Fincher wants to do this
Feb 08th 2017
Really? The pic seems right up his alley.
Feb 09th 2017
Fincher and zombies? damn
Feb 09th 2017
Looks like it's happening thanks to new Paramount head
Apr 26th 2017
I don't want to see a sequel of that.....
Apr 27th 2017
In Fincher we trust
Apr 27th 2017
This has tremendous amounts of promise.
Apr 27th 2017
Meh. I think Day by Day Armageddon or The Remaining
Apr 27th 2017
I agree with your criticism about
Apr 29th 2017

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Wed Feb-08-17 03:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I remember the first movie had all sorts of story and budget issues. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Feb-08-17 04:31 PM

2. "I kinda don't buy Fincher wants to do this"
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 08:40 PM

3. "Really? The pic seems right up his alley."
In response to Reply # 2

Suspenseful action thriller with an actor he likes working with.

At least that's how the premise appears.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 08:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Fincher and zombies? damn"
In response to Reply # 0

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8599 posts
Wed Apr-26-17 08:26 PM

5. "Looks like it's happening thanks to new Paramount head"
In response to Reply # 0

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/26/looks-like-david-fincher-really-is-gonna-direct-that-world-war-z-sequel

Looks Like David Fincher Really Is Gonna Direct That WORLD WAR Z Sequel
What a time to be alive.
By SCOTT WAMPLER Apr. 26, 2017

57 0
According to Variety's Justin Kroll, Paramount's moving forward with that sequel to World War Z, after all. And against all odds, it appears they've convinced David Fincher (yes, that David Fincher) to direct it.

Says Variety:

After previously taking the film off its calendar, Paramount Pictures looks to be moving forward with a World War Z sequel, with David Fincher directing and Brad Pitt back to star, thanks to the studio’s new chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos, according to knowledgeable sources.

Variety goes on to point out that World War Z 2 (or whatever it ends up being called) has not been given an official greenlight yet, but with Fincher onboard and Brad Pitt set to return, all signs point to Paramount pulling that trigger any day now. According to their sources, the film would begin shooting in early 2018.

One can't help but wonder what might have drawn Fincher to a World War Z sequel. The chance to work with his buddy Brad Pitt again? Is this the first half of a "One for them, one for me" power play? Is Fincher simply interested in futzing around within the zombie genre on what'll probably end up being an astronomical budget? If any of you guys talk to him in the next few days, do me a favor and ask, because I'm seriously curious about this.

Nothing further to report at this time, but stay tuned for updates. While you're waiting, feel free to express your stunned disbelief in the comments below

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Thu Apr-27-17 01:08 AM

6. "I don't want to see a sequel of that....."
In response to Reply # 0

It's bad enough that film we got was obviously tampered with by the studio to the point of being rendered silly. We're also at a point where people have already had their fill of the zombie genre. Zombies are still popping on TV because The Walking Dead and iZombie are still on but I think that bubble has already burst.

I'm ready to see another monster (that's not a zombie or vampire) get its shine.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Apr-27-17 07:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "In Fincher we trust"
In response to Reply # 0

The first movie was OK especially considering it was PG-13 but I wasn't on my seat for a sequel.

But id happy pay double price for a David Fincher zombie movie. Hopefully him and Brad can make it into their own thing

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Thu Apr-27-17 09:07 AM

8. "This has tremendous amounts of promise."
In response to Reply # 7

n/m

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44806 posts
Thu Apr-27-17 09:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Meh. I think Day by Day Armageddon or The Remaining "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-27-17 09:42 AM by Cold Truth

Were the properties better suited to an adaptation.

WWZ was cool as far as summer action flicks go but I think there were better zombie properties to adapt, particularly if they were going to deviate so far from the style and tone of the book. This version of WWZ is cool but not particularly interesting.

I'd like to see HBO or Showtime or, better yet, Netflix, adapt DBDA or The Remaining into a series. Or, even better, Ex Heroes.

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Sat Apr-29-17 12:31 AM

10. "I agree with your criticism about"
In response to Reply # 9

How we get an average movie from an awesome (but difficult to film) book. Meh sounds right.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #719571 Previous topic | Next topic