Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #717009

Subject: "Life (Espinosa, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Life (Espinosa, 2017)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLsJfGmY_Y

From the director of Safe House and Snabba Cash and the writers of Deadpool and Zombieland, this one looks VERY interesting. Great cast with Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gylenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, and Hiroyuki Sanada. I stopped watching the trailer halfway through because I knew I was in and didn't want to see anything else.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If this turns out to be a prequel to Venom, Night Dogg gets all credit
Mar 17th 2017
SMH
Mar 26th 2017
what the...
Mar 27th 2017
I was with it till the "twist" ending
Mar 26th 2017
actually that's the irony *spoilers*
Mar 27th 2017
It's still wild corny.
Mar 27th 2017
RE: I was with it till the "twist" ending
Oct 15th 2017
Liked it despite it being derivative of other sci-fi/horror films.
Mar 27th 2017
Greatness!
Oct 15th 2017
Second viewing today.
Oct 16th 2017
Franchise worthy? It already is a franchise
Oct 16th 2017

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Fri Mar-17-17 12:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If this turns out to be a prequel to Venom, Night Dogg gets all credit"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't think people have fulla digested how brilliant "split" was in its execution of establishing a shared universe between films.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 01:02 PM

3. "SMH"
In response to Reply # 1

You look silly

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 02:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "what the..."
In response to Reply # 1

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 01:01 PM

2. "I was with it till the "twist" ending"
In response to Reply # 0

Shit was wild corny.

Also don't like how it bit Gravity with the opening shot and title card.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 02:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "actually that's the irony *spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 2

>Shit was wild corny.
>
>Also don't like how it bit Gravity with the opening shot and
>title card.

if the ending wasn't a twist and it woulda been the chick splashing down, it basically woulda been gravity... incarnate.

i was surprised reynolds get knocked off so quickly. then i read that he originally had gyllenhaal's part, but took the lesser role 'cause he doing was the semi-paternity leave thing with blake lively.

i thought the film was fine, but all in all i think audiences are spaced'd out/sci-fi'd out right now. even watching the alien covenant trailer before this flick made me yawn a bit.

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 02:38 PM

5. "It's still wild corny."
In response to Reply # 4

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sun Oct-15-17 11:11 AM

8. "RE: I was with it till the "twist" ending"
In response to Reply # 2

I thought the title card was a Spielberg reference with one of the stars turning into a ship. Can't remember if that's from ET or Close Encounters. I mostly forgot Gravity 20 minutes after I saw it so i could be wrong. (Gravity wasn't corny???)

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 07:00 PM

7. "Liked it despite it being derivative of other sci-fi/horror films."
In response to Reply # 0

SPOILERS below

The 'twist' ending was predictable and an obvious setup for future movies if they decide to go that way (and apparently are considering it).

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

denny
11281 posts
Sun Oct-15-17 11:18 AM

9. "Greatness!"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn I loved this movie. Great characters, great writing. I hadn't even heard of it when it popped up on my cable so i had no expectations. Fantastic script. Really original monster. Very limited action sequences (they knew the way to my heart) This is a highly underrated flick from what I can tell by the reaction.

denny
11281 posts
Mon Oct-16-17 02:13 AM

10. "Second viewing today."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-16-17 02:14 AM by denny

Mark my words. This popular perception of this movie in 2 to 3 years is going to change DRASTICALLY. This is definitely franchise-worthy. This movie is far superior to Prometheus and Alien Covenant (both of which I really wanted to love but only liked). It's very poetic. There is a very sophisticated overlapping of themes. The symbolism and metaphors are plentiful and really, really well thought-out.

I'm astounded by the criticisms (to be fair, critics liked this movie much more than audiences). There's around 50 to 60 common critiques....all of which have reasonable explanations. The large majority are based on a complete misunderstanding of what the monster is. The script is carefully written to provide sufficient explanations for these common critiques (admittedly, you have to pay pretty close attention but it's all there). In fact...for fun, I'd like to challenge ANYONE to articulate a worthy criticism of any questionable character behavior or any movie-universe rules/laws contradicted. For sure some of the heavier scientific objections would fall under suspension of disbelief...but even in those cases I think I could argue that they are totally acceptable in the context of the movie.

Can't stress enough. Take in this flick.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Oct-16-17 09:02 AM

11. "Franchise worthy? It already is a franchise"
In response to Reply # 10

It's called "Alien"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #717009 Previous topic | Next topic