Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #716100

Subject: "Crisis In Six Scenes (2016 Woody Allen via Amazon)" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Sat Oct-01-16 03:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Crisis In Six Scenes (2016 Woody Allen via Amazon)"
Sat Oct-01-16 03:42 PM by Heinz

Anyone watch this yet? I'm very excited to watch this. Gonna take it in this weekend. The trailer looks really promising. Woody IMO just keeps getting better with age. Heard great things about Miley Cyrus in this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cV2zsIOj4

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's okay
Oct 03rd 2016
RE: Crisis In Six Scenes (2016 Woody Allen via Amazon)
Oct 04th 2016
Cafe Society was excellent to me.
Oct 04th 2016
      I'd say he's getting better as a director, but def not as a writer.
Oct 04th 2016
           K Stewart killed that movie, her role was so key and she was so awful...
Oct 07th 2016
                I have the polar opposite opinion. I thought she was outstanding.
Oct 08th 2016
                     she wasnt bad as folks say, she didnt K Stewart it
Oct 08th 2016
                     She looked like she was "acting" the entire time. One question for you:
Oct 23rd 2016
Woody Allen is a child molestor
Oct 04th 2016
Talking about Woody Allen the director.
Oct 04th 2016
      I'll do whatever tickles my goddamned fancy. Just like Woody Allen.
Oct 08th 2016
      So.
Oct 09th 2016
           Is this post about my disdain for Woody Allen being a child molester?
Oct 10th 2016
      thats not being a grown up...
Oct 08th 2016
           Yeah it is they are two entirely different things
Oct 09th 2016
                I gotta disagree with that one
Oct 09th 2016
                I think it's easy to see both sides.
Oct 10th 2016
                     I don't mind if someone is against his personal life choices BUT
Oct 11th 2016
                     agreed
Oct 11th 2016
Eh, didn't like it so much
Oct 18th 2016
yup
Oct 21st 2016

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Oct-03-16 06:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's okay"
In response to Reply # 0

Not his best, not his worse. It's more like a movie broken up into six parts than a show. As a show, the pacing is all off. I'm guessing if it was edited together into one long(ish) film it would play out better.

Miley is okay. Not entirely believable as an activist, but not horrible.

It's overall decent. My biggest problem is that Woody's stuttering neurotic antics is there, but it's not as funny, there aren't so many witty jokes to go along. He comes off more as a grumpy old man than a neurotic yet witty guy (as he used to be).

I'd say it's about as good as his last few comedies. But I think his comedies have gone down a few pegs since Deconstructing Harry (his last great film IMO).

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 10:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Crisis In Six Scenes (2016 Woody Allen via Amazon)"
In response to Reply # 0

>Woody IMO just keeps getting better with age.

You may be the only person alive who thinks this. And I consider myself a pretty big Allen fan...

----

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:21 PM

5. "Cafe Society was excellent to me."
In response to Reply # 2

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I'd say he's getting better as a director, but def not as a writer."
In response to Reply # 5

Cafe Society was among the most gorgeous movies he's ever made... but the writing was... fine. I'd say similar things about Irrational Man and Magic in the Moonlight. His composition, use of color, etc... all are better in the last few years than most of his films over the past 15-20 years.

But... yeah. Not in terms of writing. If I'm naming his top, say, 15 movies ever, only three of them would come from the last twenty years.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Fri Oct-07-16 08:14 PM

7. "K Stewart killed that movie, her role was so key and she was so awful..."
In response to Reply # 6

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sat Oct-08-16 12:11 AM

8. "I have the polar opposite opinion. I thought she was outstanding."
In response to Reply # 7
Sat Oct-08-16 12:11 AM by Frank Longo

Gave the best performance in the movie, imo.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Sat Oct-08-16 09:47 AM

10. "she wasnt bad as folks say, she didnt K Stewart it"
In response to Reply # 8

She really was acting imho..not doing her empty style

>Gave the best performance in the movie, imo.

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Sun Oct-23-16 11:28 AM

21. "She looked like she was "acting" the entire time. One question for you:"
In response to Reply # 8

Initially she was not romantically interested in Jesse's character at all, he was firmly in the friend zone. Then through his assiduity he supposedly won her over. The entire movie -- Kristen's character's dilemma over whom to choose, and the poignance of her final encounter with Jesse's character -- depends on this.

But did you REALLY find her change convincing?

Woody didn't even TRY to dramatize it, must've known KS wasn't up to it. Amazingly, he just TOLD us it happened in a voice over, which accompanied a long-range shot of the two of them interacting. From that point on, I couldn't take the movie seriously.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 02:50 PM

3. "Woody Allen is a child molestor"
In response to Reply # 0

...just in case anyone is unaware 😃

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:20 PM

4. "Talking about Woody Allen the director."
In response to Reply # 3

Be a grown up and learn how to separate art and the person.

*shrugs*

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Sat Oct-08-16 07:19 AM

9. "I'll do whatever tickles my goddamned fancy. Just like Woody Allen."
In response to Reply # 4

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 01:44 AM

13. "So."
In response to Reply # 9

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 01:16 AM

16. "Is this post about my disdain for Woody Allen being a child molester?"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon Oct-10-16 01:16 AM by Cold Truth

Because thus far that has generated more discussion than the movie made by Woody Allen, Child Molester.

Mainly because you decided to engage the point of the artist molesting and marrying his stepdaughter as well as molesting his own children, mind you.

If your intent was to redirect this thread from a discussion about a child molester who also makes movies, it backfired.

Considering that the story behind him being a creepy, incestuous child molester who also LOOKS THE FUCKING PART in a very unsettling way is well documented and uncomfortably detailed you should be able to just ignore my comment.

After all, you ignore the fact that he's a predator whose chosen prey are his own children. If you can ignore that but not my comment, well, that might say something about you.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sat Oct-08-16 06:23 PM

11. "thats not being a grown up..."
In response to Reply # 4

>Be a grown up and learn how to separate art and the person.
>
>*shrugs*

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Heinz
20759 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 01:43 AM

12. "Yeah it is they are two entirely different things "
In response to Reply # 11

Art is art. Art has nothing to do with the artistS personal lives. People choose to think otherwise which is why celeb gossip exists. That's childish shit.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Oct-09-16 07:09 PM

14. "I gotta disagree with that one"
In response to Reply # 12

The moral choice to not support an artist based on their personal lives is very much an "adult" thing. This is why I stay away from Roman Polanski films. And why I'm so conflicted on still watching Woody Allen's movies.

This is way beyond the subject though. I think with you being such a big Woody Allen fan, you will like the "show" (in quotes because it really doesn't play out like a TV show). The last ep is especially fun. Overall it's mediocre Woody Allen material, but that's still pretty good. It's Woody mostly staying in his lane. As I might have said, this will be much better if he edits it together into one longish movie.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 12:28 AM

15. "I think it's easy to see both sides."
In response to Reply # 12

I have no trouble separating art from artist, but I don't begrudge anyone their opinion if they either don't want to support someone they despise or find the work to be tainted by the outside knowledge of the artist. And as a massive fan of Woody, a couple of his films *do* unquestionably contain ghosts of his real-life scandals that have on occasion made me squirm.

So I don't mind when people say they choose not to support him. I do continue to enjoy his art, but I get why people wouldn't.

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 03:26 AM

17. "I don't mind if someone is against his personal life choices BUT "
In response to Reply # 15

This post was about his art. NOT what he has done in his life. So I definitely hate when people try to bring it up when the OG post is not even about it. Its a moot point when talking about his art.

We can go back and forth on about everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I do not have to accept that talking about something that has nothing to do with his art. Im not disagreeing with the reason to hate him as a man at all...but I wasnt talking about them in the first place.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 07:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 15

I've never been a Woody Allen fan or checked his work because of the controversy, but I understand people who can and can't separate the work from the person....sorta LOL....in some cases the person is so deplorable to you that you simply can't....I think it all centers on how each person feels about the subject matter in controversy....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Eh, didn't like it so much"
In response to Reply # 0

It was essentially a long and extremely slight movie. Didn't care for many of the performances; Elaine May was particularly bad, and all of the "guest" actors not named Max Casella were sleep-walking. The scene near the end where everything comes together is mildly enjoyable, but the rest of it is lightweight as all get out.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Oct-21-16 09:26 AM

20. "yup"
In response to Reply # 19

Except for that big scene in the last episode it was very much mediocre Woody.

I wouldn't expect him to make another truly hilarious movie unless he co-wrote it with someone else, which I doubt he'd ever do.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #716100 Previous topic | Next topic