Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #715641

Subject: "Quarry (Cinemax 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Sep-14-16 12:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Quarry (Cinemax 2016)"

This was a really strong premiere. I don't wanna spoil it because I went in blind during a night of insomnia and was pleasantly surprised.

Did anyone else catch this?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm hooked
Sep 15th 2016
Is this "$15/month" good?
Sep 16th 2016
Well, they don't have a lot of original programming (spoiler-ish)
Sep 16th 2016
i liked it. didn't love it. I'll give it a few more for sure
Sep 16th 2016
Episode 4 is fire
Sep 30th 2016
i've been really enjoying it
Oct 01st 2016
Episode 6 was excellent (spoilers)
Oct 16th 2016
it's been really good.
Oct 17th 2016
RE: it's been really good.
Oct 18th 2016
i love how sloppy mac is...
Oct 18th 2016
      RE: i love how sloppy mac is...
Oct 18th 2016
      yeah, they seem to have different "positions" with each job
Oct 18th 2016
      He'll always be Dewey
Oct 21st 2016
still can't belive homie cockblocked himself
Oct 25th 2016
That shit was painful and hilarious at the same time.
Oct 26th 2016
      RE: That shit was painful and hilarious at the same time.
Oct 28th 2016
sounds like you guys are enjoying...highly recommended?
Oct 25th 2016
i really like it
Oct 25th 2016
i watched episode 1 last night...
Oct 27th 2016
I agree with Calico.
Oct 26th 2016
that may the weirdest season finale i've ever seen
Nov 07th 2016
If you're talking about the last 10-15 mins, then yeah
Nov 07th 2016
      Moses keeping that cash...
Nov 08th 2016
      Broker is probably keeping track of Moses too.
Nov 08th 2016
           wow you prob right!
Nov 23rd 2016
      yeah, i'm reffering to that
Nov 09th 2016
This whole show was the shit
Nov 08th 2016
Cancelled
Jun 07th 2017
nooooo
Jun 07th 2017
Damn. Between this and The Knick
Jun 07th 2017
      Reading further, they already wrote the second season (swipe)
Jun 07th 2017

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Thu Sep-15-16 10:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm hooked"
In response to Reply # 0

Interested to see how this story developes

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Is this "$15/month" good?"
In response to Reply # 0

The previews have been interesting, but the only reason I watched Outcast (fucking GREAT... will def pick up Cinemax for next season) was the free 3-month trial.

OR... in other words, are Quarry and other shows on Cinemax enough to maintain the subscription?

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 12:47 PM

3. "Well, they don't have a lot of original programming (spoiler-ish)"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Sep-16-16 12:50 PM by Pamalama

Unless you wanna count the "Skinemax" stuff *chuckles*

But the shows I've seen (Banshee, Outcast, The Knick (which I pray comes back) and now Quarry), have been great. They have another series titled "Motel", but I don't remember seeing trailers for it.

I'll admit to a bit of bias about this show because I've heard my father and community members talk about their experiences coming home from Vietnam. Even without the bias the show was gripping and went to unexpected places on more than one occasion.

I highly recommend it, but I aint' gonna tell you how to spend your hard earned $15.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "i liked it. didn't love it. I'll give it a few more for sure"
In response to Reply # 0

reminded me a bit of The Bridge just in terms of quality/potential. The Bridge had so many ingredients to be a great show but couldn't quite execute.

We'll see how this plays out. Plus I don't have Cinemax, but some friends are watching so I'm tagging along when i can.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Fri Sep-30-16 10:07 PM

5. "Episode 4 is fire"
In response to Reply # 0

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Oct-01-16 01:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i've been really enjoying it"
In response to Reply # 0

reminds me of an alternate take on The Punisher a bit

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Sun Oct-16-16 04:54 PM

7. "Episode 6 was excellent (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

The park dedicated to "A Very Worthy Negro" (Tom Lee) had me speechless. Like they actually had that on a sign.

The Broker's comment about how Lee's actions allowed so many others to experience life, fall in love, etc. was sobering. It's not like I've never thought about it like that, but it did serve as a huge reminder as to label your heroes carefully. And the subtle way they tied it together at the end. The Broker was trying to be the same type of person, but knows he will never be recognized for it.

On that note, although I'm glad Mac killed Linwood, I didn't like the way he did it. He leaves a trail of destruction with every job he's involved in. And how much confidence in 'they ain't gonna do shit' do you have to have in order to do major dirt on your first day out of jail?

The Ruth-Moses relationship is interesting too. I hope Moses is not asked to do something to that family after seeming like such a good guy. "Boy me one more time".

The night terrors...I didn't know it could get THAT bad. This show builds on what Dead Presidents touched upon in such a haunting way. It makes me want to ask my parents about how they made it through, but I don't know if I'll ever get the nerve.

This ep seemed to have a lot more music than the others. but I liked it...especially ending it with Al Green. They've really made it an integral part of the show...hoping they have a soundtrack of some sort.

I really hope there's a second season because this is some quality TV.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Oct-17-16 04:26 PM

8. "it's been really good. "
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, I'm glad Mac was the one too

Couldn't tell if the broker just his own client on this one for personal reasons, or was it win/win because Linwood was connected to Fat Elvis on some drug shit?

He seemed to have all his people on this.

Either way, been hella impressed the last 3 weeks. Hopefully this does get a second season.

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 10:44 AM

10. "RE: it's been really good. "
In response to Reply # 8

>Couldn't tell if the broker just his own client on this one
>for personal reasons, or was it win/win because Linwood was
>connected to Fat Elvis on some drug shit?
>
>

Based on the conversation in the park, I think he was his own client.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 08:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "i love how sloppy mac is..."
In response to Reply # 7

the fact they make a point of it in every episode is awesome to me, because it's realistic that he'd have no idea of what he's doing and how sloppy he really is...

...wait? was that the woman from the motel in the end?

... I was afraid for everyone during the curfew...

..dude was REALLY feeling himself after getting out...

...loved the scenes with the guy (I wanna call him Dewey so badly) and his mom

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 10:50 AM

11. "RE: i love how sloppy mac is..."
In response to Reply # 9

>the fact they make a point of it in every episode is awesome
>to me, because it's realistic that he'd have no idea of what
>he's doing and how sloppy he really is...

Originally, I was wondering why in the world would you want someone who leaves that much mess after a kill. Then I have to remember a) this was 50 years ago. CSI this shit ain't and b) maybe that's why they have so many people on a job. Somebody has to clean up

>
>...wait? was that the woman from the motel in the end?
>

Yep, that was her.

>...loved the scenes with the guy (I wanna call him Dewey so
>badly) and his mom

He keeps it all the way real with her and she accepts him without batting an eye. I was really interested in their relationship a couple of weeks ago, but forgot about it because so much has happened in two or three episodes. I hope they continue exploring his storyline.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Oct-18-16 02:54 PM

12. "yeah, they seem to have different "positions" with each job"
In response to Reply # 11

right now Quarry is low level...the killer.... but they have someone else doing research, someone prepping the kits, someone to be backup/cleanup, etc....

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Fri Oct-21-16 03:06 AM

13. "He'll always be Dewey "
In response to Reply # 9

>(I wanna call him Dewey so
>badly)

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 08:17 AM

14. "still can't belive homie cockblocked himself"
In response to Reply # 0

...can't wait to see what the kid does with all that money

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Oct-26-16 04:46 PM

17. "That shit was painful and hilarious at the same time."
In response to Reply # 14

Dude got indignant about it too.

I love that the kid got his mom some flowers. Seeing the look on his face watching his mom smile melted my heart.

I was mad at the cliffhanger for a minute. I knew they were gonna do it, but still.

I'm glad they got caught during the 'stakeout'. They were just too loose with how they were checking Credence. I wanna call him Fat Elvis, lol. I'm actually gonna miss him if they kill him. That cat is funny.

Speaking of funny, the banter between Quarry and the Broker never fails to deliver.

Kinda mad this is an 8-ep series, but it's probably for the best. Can't find any word on whether it's been renewed or not. *Fingers crossed*

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Fri Oct-28-16 07:22 AM

20. "RE: That shit was painful and hilarious at the same time."
In response to Reply # 17

>Dude got indignant about it too.
>
...I mean she dressed up for him and everything.....I've gotta rewatch the previous eps cause I still don't get his obsession with this case, how he jumped to the conclusion Quarry had to have killed duke, and what reason he'd have for following the guy

>I love that the kid got his mom some flowers. Seeing the look
>on his face watching his mom smile melted my heart.
>
me too...great scene

>I was mad at the cliffhanger for a minute. I knew they were
>gonna do it, but still.
>
>I'm glad they got caught during the 'stakeout'. They were
>just too loose with how they were checking Credence. I wanna
>call him Fat Elvis, lol. I'm actually gonna miss him if they
>kill him. That cat is funny.
>
yeah, the other guy is usually way smarter than that, but that's twice in one episode where they're supposed to on stakeout and someone's watching them..... his frustration about not being able to switch up his position must have him off his game...

>Speaking of funny, the banter between Quarry and the Broker
>never fails to deliver.

every character interaction with the Broker is great... the way he talked homeboy out his proposal was awesome...I really felt bad for dude....
>
>Kinda mad this is an 8-ep series, but it's probably for the
>best. Can't find any word on whether it's been renewed or
>not. *Fingers crossed*

I hope they give it another season too

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 01:56 PM

15. "sounds like you guys are enjoying...highly recommended?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 02:53 PM

16. "i really like it"
In response to Reply # 15

...but it's a slow burn, so definitely not for everyone.... they do a pretty good job of getting you invested in the characters

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Oct-27-16 10:18 AM

19. "i watched episode 1 last night..."
In response to Reply # 16

it def ended strong...wasn't too into it initially but the cinematography and music was def on point

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Oct-26-16 04:47 PM

18. "I agree with Calico."
In response to Reply # 15

Slow burn, but worth the investment.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 12:44 PM

21. "that may the weirdest season finale i've ever seen"
In response to Reply # 0

.....I really don't know what to think about the show after that...LOL

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Mon Nov-07-16 06:33 PM

22. "If you're talking about the last 10-15 mins, then yeah"
In response to Reply # 21

But I thought the rest of the ep was on point.

Moses hurt me deep. At first when he didn't rush sex with Ruth, I thought he was a decent guy, but the way he treated Marcus seemed so unnecessary. Boy lost his daddy, saw his friend get damn near beat to death on the school bus and then had his Momma's boyfriend put a gun on him next to his sleeping sister. I mean....damn!

Wonder want he's gonna do with the money. And if he gives it to the broker, will he let Mac go. Wonder if Marcus will tell Mac about Moses.

Joni kinda pissed me off and his daddy ain't much either. I gave him a pass on being mad about the house, that I understand...but he never sticks up for Mac.

I'm no gun aficionado, but can a gun like Credence had really cause that much damage?

That battle scene was CRAZY...especially since they said it was mostly shot in one sequence. One of the best ones I've seen in a while. It's sad too knowing the reason why all that went down in the first place.

Surprised Buddy wasn't killed.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 11:28 AM

23. "Moses keeping that cash..."
In response to Reply # 22

he already convinced the broker that the money was gone.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 02:40 PM

24. "Broker is probably keeping track of Moses too."
In response to Reply # 23

He always has more than one person on a job as back-up, so he may know Moses found the money.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Wed Nov-23-16 09:32 AM

27. "wow you prob right!"
In response to Reply # 24

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Nov-09-16 08:14 AM

26. "yeah, i'm reffering to that"
In response to Reply # 22

....the rest I liked too

....I wonder if dude will even come back to the restaurant... Him threatening the kid like that made it easy to hate the character forever...

...I didn't feel sorry for the cop at all

.... I think the overall atmosphere and the dad halfway putting down Mac's building his own pool just caused joni to snap.... They got the money though....I kept thinking it was gonna get lost after all that...activity...

...that beginning gun battle was really well done

...oh, and I didn't hate the last 15 mins, but it was just...different....

Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Tue Nov-08-16 05:03 PM

25. "This whole show was the shit"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my faves this year, along with The Night of and Atlanta

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 01:43 AM

28. "Cancelled "
In response to Reply # 0

Not really surprised. This show was kind of in "The Bridge" category for me. *Almost* there in terms of quality but missing something i couldn't put my finger on. It was def good enough that I'd have liked to have seen where they were gonna go with it. Oh well

Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 07:11 AM

29. "nooooo"
In response to Reply # 28

that sucks, I really dug it

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:16 AM

30. "Damn. Between this and The Knick"
In response to Reply # 28

Cinemax is really annoying me.

Pamalama
Charter member
1687 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 10:44 AM

31. "Reading further, they already wrote the second season (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 30

http://deadline.com/2017/05/quarry-canceled-cinemax-one-season-1202104986/

It’s official: Quarry will not be returning to Cinemax (or another network) for a second season. Series co-creator Michael D. Fuller made the announcement in a lengthy blog post.

Vietnam-era drama Quarry and Robert Kirkman’s horror drama Outcast, which went through a pilot stage, were caught in the middle of an original programming strategy shift at Cinemax, which late last year opted to return to the type of fare that launched its push into original primetime series: high-octane, action, pulpy, straight-to-series dramas done in a cost-effective way primarily as international co-productions.

“We are immensely proud of the work by all of the talented individuals who contributed to Quarry,” a rep for Cinemax said in a statement. “After evaluating ideas for continuing the story in the context of our future plans for Cinemax, we decided that it was best for all involved to end the narrative with Mac swimming across the Mississippi”.

As Quarry will not be producing a second season, and Cinemax has yet to schedule the filmed second season of Outcast. The network gave permission to its international partner, Fox International Channels, to air Season 2 first, and the drama premiered oversees last month.

Here is what Fuller said about Quarry‘s cancellation by Cinemax after one eight-episode season and efforts to find a new home. He created the neo-noir crime with Graham Gordy based on Max Allan Collins’ book series.

And so, after a protracted and agonizing process, we have final confirmation that Quarry will not be returning to television, There were several factors that contributed to the show’s ultimate fate, but a regime change at HBO and a re-(re?)-branding at Cinemax were of particular significance; we attempted to find another home for the show but were unable to do so. By virtually every metric (ratings, critical response) the show succeeded in all the ways a show needs to for a second season, but, as the erstwhile Head Ball Coach of my beloved Gamecocks was fond of saying, “it is what it is”. TV’s tough and life is tougher, and like the titular character of the show, the series itself was ultimately the victim of a system that is relentlessly unforgiving.

Fuller describes the project’s road to the screen, which started with him and Gordy coming across Collins’ Quarry novels in December 2011. The show was sold Cinemax in spring 2013, with the pilot shot in that summer, a series greenlighted in summer 2014 and a fall 2016 premiere. “Half-a-decade for what ultimately amounted to one season of television that I am immensely proud of personally and professionally,” Fuller wrote.

He goes on to provide a glimpse of their plans for a six-episode Season 2, which already had been written:

At the risk of sounding like I’m recording my Dashboard Confessional cover album, I’m gripped w/ a tremendous sense of sadness. Sad that we don’t get to keep telling the stories of Mac and Joni, of Buddy and Naomi (All Damon Herriman and Ann Dowd everything), of Ruth, Marcus, Little Lou, Karl, Moses, The Broker, and all the other characters so vividly and beautifully brought to life by our transcendent cast. (Season 2 was going to be set in 1973 and see Mac fully immersed in The Broker’s network, the arrival of Mac and Arthur’s war buddy Hall Prewitt and the trouble coming w/ him, Buddy asserting his individuality, all w/ the specter of Watergate looming.

We actually wrote the entire second season, 6 episodes, before receiving word that Cinemax was going in a different direction w/ their branding and content. Since we didn’t get a Season 2, let’s just speculate as to if Mac actually made it to the other side of the river.) It’s a sadness I will carry w/ me for the rest of my life, but there’s a tremendous measure of solace in the fact that I had the opportunity to work w/ some of the most immeasurably talented people in the world on something we all believed in and deeply, abidingly cared about. A Memphis-BBQ-platter sized thanks is due to our wonderful cast and crew who made our writing better than it had any business being, and to Max Allan Collins himself, who trusted us w/ a character he’s lived w/ for 40 years: thank you, sir. I hope we didn’t mess it up too badly.

If you watched the show: thank you. If you loved it, spread the word. If you didn’t see it, I can’t quite imagine you read this far (thank you!) but it’s available on iTunes, VUDU, MaxGO, Amazon, etc.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #715641 Previous topic | Next topic