Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #715110

Subject: "Don't Think Twice (Birbiglia, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 12:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Don't Think Twice (Birbiglia, 2016)"

I’ve never seen any of Birbiglia’s work and know next to nothing about improv, but this is a fantastic, lovable film about holding on to a moment in life. and when to let go.

the characters here are a sort of “Inside Out” for struggling artists, with each improv member representing a different personality trait. the egoist who steps over his friends to make it. the delusional who can’t see his own talent flaws. the realist worried about complete failure. the procrastinator filled with self-doubt. the hesitant dreamer who loves the way everything is now and wants to keep it that way forever.

there are very few movies that see failure all the way through to the end -- usually the protagonist hits rock bottom, then comes out even better. here it’s confronted head-on. loved that aspect of it, as well as the aforementioned necessity of moving on from a time and place in life. not necessarily moving on, either -- just adapting. because life and friends and goals never stay the same.

on a super limited run right now (100 theaters, I believe) but highly recommended as soon as you have the means to see it.

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
trailer
Aug 23rd 2016
How did I not post about this? Yeah, I loved it too.
Aug 23rd 2016
Saw this last Thursday and really enjoyed it.
Aug 23rd 2016
Some real life shit with that made me glad that....
Aug 24th 2016
Birbiglia has one of the best standups on Netflix right now
Aug 26th 2016
he is two for two on the movie front
Aug 26th 2016
Liked it even more than Sleepwalk With Me
Aug 29th 2016
Jacobs is really good...
Aug 29th 2016
She was good in Life Partners
Aug 31st 2016
RE: Jacobs is really good...
Sep 02nd 2016
This movie is just great.
Sep 11th 2016
Torn on this one
Dec 19th 2016

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 12:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFTpObS95U

--------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 01:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "How did I not post about this? Yeah, I loved it too."
In response to Reply # 0

Hit really dangerously close to home in so many ways. Hit me deeply.

I'd recommend Sleepwalk With Me, his first film. It's really damn good, even though this is better.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Tue Aug-23-16 01:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Saw this last Thursday and really enjoyed it."
In response to Reply # 0

It was really well-made. Good pacing, good performances, and enough humor to balance out the dramatic tension between the characters and their challenges.

Birbiglia's comedy is interesting. Tt weaves drama and humor, and this movie did as well.

Definitely worth a viewing.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Wed Aug-24-16 12:58 AM

4. "Some real life shit with that made me glad that...."
In response to Reply # 0

these type of movies are still getting made. As I get more and more jaded with superhero shit and big budget wackiness, these little gems really hit me harder than before. I loved Sleepwalk with Me and Birbiglia is the kinda dude I have to root for. Jacobs was fantastic too.

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 08:30 AM

5. "Birbiglia has one of the best standups on Netflix right now"
In response to Reply # 0

"My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" is a Cosby Style extended metaphor of a standup that is must see TV...especially if you got your boo-boo stink over for some Netflix and Chill

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 10:52 AM

6. "he is two for two on the movie front"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 09:11 AM

7. "Liked it even more than Sleepwalk With Me"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

sfMatt
Member since Jun 20th 2002
10383 posts
Mon Aug-29-16 02:59 PM

8. "Jacobs is really good... "
In response to Reply # 0

Never gave a fuck about Britta, really, but having seen her rock both this and Love, I'm becoming a big fan.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Aug-31-16 12:33 PM

9. "She was good in Life Partners"
In response to Reply # 8

and has killed on the episodes of Comedy Bang Bang she appears on with Paul F Tompkins. Quickly becoming one of my favorite comedic actresses.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Fri Sep-02-16 11:07 AM

10. "RE: Jacobs is really good... "
In response to Reply # 8

she is coming into her own as talented actor

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Sun Sep-11-16 03:54 PM

11. "This movie is just great."
In response to Reply # 0

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-19-16 01:28 PM

12. "Torn on this one"
In response to Reply # 0

Enjoyed it but...

1. Was anyone else bothered by the fact that the two black people in the movie were the two people who weren't team players. (I've actually heard a performer bitch about this so seeing it here brought back that awkward conversation.)

2. The happy ending felt off. Maybe it's my own experience with life in the entertainment industry but it also felt unearned and it just fell into their laps. Apparent sugar mama strolls into his life, dude inherits a building which allows the classes to keep going, etc.

3. The Trapped in the Well thing irked me. I get that she's happy teaching but not quite sure why she had to break up with Key. Being alone in the well isn't that healthy, right?

Still, always good when a movie provokes thought and it was well made, I just was a little too on the outside, in terms of love of the improv world, for this one I think.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #715110 Previous topic | Next topic