Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714206

Subject: "Marvel's The Defenders" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Fri Jul-22-16 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Marvel's The Defenders"

https://youtu.be/wBZtM8q2Z1g

Daredevil Season 3 & Jessica Jones Season 2 are gonna film back to back. I imagine everyone is gonna be burnt out.

Good use of Nirvana tho.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Awesome music choices in these teasers.
Jul 22nd 2016
Love it.
Jul 22nd 2016
nah
Jul 22nd 2016
RE: nah
May 05th 2017
      he was one of the Rand Enterprises execs
May 08th 2017
fan burnout? or actor burnout?
Jul 22nd 2016
I'm talking cast and crew.
Jul 22nd 2016
Foggy and Trish to co-star in this.
Aug 17th 2016
Sigourney Weaver is the villian of the show.
Oct 08th 2016
What I'd like to see:
Oct 10th 2016
8 episodes *swipe*
Oct 30th 2016
it's always been 8 episodes
Oct 31st 2016
Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) & Misty Knight (Simone Missick) confirmed....
Oct 31st 2016
So are we thinking spring release?
Nov 28th 2016
No, Iron Fist will be out in March
Nov 28th 2016
Sigourney Weaver is Alexandria
Jan 12th 2017
The Defenders form up in a first look.
Jan 12th 2017
...and there will be a new Defenders comic series in June...
Jan 12th 2017
I'm hearing that this needed to be 13 episodes
Mar 15th 2017
Damn you and your sources bwood...
Mar 16th 2017
August 18th.
Apr 04th 2017
Brief tease
Apr 04th 2017
Has anyone visited the teaser site?
Apr 04th 2017
Full trailer
May 03rd 2017
Cant wait....
May 03rd 2017
RE: Cant wait....
May 03rd 2017
      truth
May 04th 2017
I wish I could get a small role before a hallway scene.
May 03rd 2017
That role should go to Stan Lee.
May 03rd 2017
      That would work but I still prefer Thug #4
May 04th 2017
           RE: That would work but I still prefer Thug #4
May 04th 2017
                Photoshop Deebo's head on that and I'm sold.
May 04th 2017
I'm good with this
May 04th 2017
Marvel’s The Defenders | Official Trailer 2
Jul 21st 2017
This review is super reassuring
Aug 10th 2017
Sounds like the shorter episode order makes the show
Aug 10th 2017
      I gotta review it myself
Aug 10th 2017
           i don't know if Defenders is a good example
Aug 11th 2017
                Outside of the die hard fans, AoS is not really connecting tho.
Aug 11th 2017
                     Just gotta throw me in there huh hahaha
Aug 16th 2017
                     RE: Just gotta throw me in there huh hahaha
Aug 16th 2017
                          So I guess i'm not supposed to like this either
Aug 31st 2017
                               How's about you stop acting brand new nigga?
Aug 31st 2017
                                    Wow
Sep 01st 2017
                     ppl pinning this purely on episode order/numbers is bullshit tho
Aug 16th 2017
                          I agree that the writing should be better
Aug 17th 2017
Finished the first two episodes
Aug 18th 2017
RE: Finished the first two episodes
Aug 20th 2017
One episode left.
Aug 18th 2017
Full review
Aug 19th 2017
great review
Aug 21st 2017
      I agree with everything you said.
Aug 21st 2017
5 eps in, Jessica Jones /Krysten Ritter OWNS this one ya'll....
Aug 20th 2017
Liked it, didn't love it...
Aug 21st 2017
I think Madame Gao is the most underrated character of all.
Aug 21st 2017
      SHE IS THE ONE THAT NEEDS THE DAMN SERIES.
Aug 22nd 2017
finished it. I thought it was pretty good.
Aug 21st 2017
I hated to see Misty spin her wheels doing by-the-books police work.
Aug 21st 2017
this might be a stupid question but...
Aug 21st 2017
because of reasons
Aug 22nd 2017
      RE: because of reasons
Aug 22nd 2017
           I didn't get it either
Aug 22nd 2017
                After this I wonder what the point of Marvel TV is?
Aug 22nd 2017
At least it made Danny somewhat more interesting than his own show
Aug 22nd 2017
Tooo much filler...its like they don't know how to write for bit charact...
Aug 22nd 2017
Finished it a few days ago
Aug 22nd 2017
This was very meh...I might be good on these Marvel shows
Sep 02nd 2017
This is the least watched Marvel Netflix show yet
Sep 22nd 2017
everyone was complaining about superhero movie fatigue
Sep 22nd 2017
      I don't understand why they just don't...
Sep 22nd 2017
           ...aaaaaaand
Sep 22nd 2017

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Fri Jul-22-16 01:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Awesome music choices in these teasers."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Fri Jul-22-16 06:40 AM

2. "Love it."
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Jul-22-16 09:57 AM

3. "nah"
In response to Reply # 0

If Luke Cage and Iron Fist work, people will still be all in.

I'm particularly interested in Jessica Jones season 2. Daredevil was overkill for many (I liked it) and seen as weaker than season 1. But all eyes are on Jessica Jones. They knocked it out of the park with season 1.

I'm excited about Iron Fist too, but only because a pal of mine landed a role in it.

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Fri May-05-17 09:47 PM

32. "RE: nah"
In response to Reply # 3

>I'm excited about Iron Fist too, but only because a pal of
>mine landed a role in it.
>
>

Who?

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon May-08-17 06:12 AM

33. "he was one of the Rand Enterprises execs"
In response to Reply # 32

Turns out all he had to do was sit at the meetings and look serious. But whatevs, that still equals screen time and a paycheck...

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Fri Jul-22-16 01:11 PM

4. "fan burnout? or actor burnout?"
In response to Reply # 0

if they keep coming with the heat, I can't imagine fans getting tired of it. I know nothing about acting so I can't really say from that perspective.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Jul-22-16 01:37 PM

5. "I'm talking cast and crew."
In response to Reply # 4

There going to be shooting and writing nonstop.

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 01:27 PM

6. "Foggy and Trish to co-star in this."
In response to Reply # 0

A rumor is that Trish will take up the Hellcat mantle in this.

Another rumor is during the last few episodes, Frank will assist them in more ways than one.

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Oct-08-16 06:45 PM

7. "Sigourney Weaver is the villian of the show."
In response to Reply # 0

Holy shit that's cool.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Oct-10-16 08:08 AM

8. "What I'd like to see:"
In response to Reply # 0

The four main characters have their story for the series, but by the end, have led others (i.e. Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Hellcat, The Punisher, etc.) that have been introduced on the shows to do the same type of thing.

And of course, more directly tie into the greater MCU… Has to happen sometime, right?

Get Out the Room

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Sun Oct-30-16 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "8 episodes *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank god....

http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvels-defenders-tv-show-will-only-be-eight-episodes-l-1788339142

Marvel's Defenders TV Show Will Only Be Eight Episodes Long
Evan Narcisse
Friday 3:25pmFiled to: THe Defenders

Looks like the most common complaint about Netflix’s superhero TV adaptations won’t be applying to The Defenders.

Marvel announced today that director S.J. Clarkson—who’s worked on Jessica Jones, Vinyl, and Orange is the New Black—will be helming the first two episodes of the super-team show and serving as executive producer for the pilot. The Netflix Marvel shows have generally run about 13 episodes per season, and it can feel like they stretch on for too long. Hopefully, that won’t be the case with The Defenders. The shorter episode count is probably also a decision that gets the primary cast members back to their own shows more rapidly.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 03:39 PM

11. "it's always been 8 episodes"
In response to Reply # 9

they announced it from the beginning. oddly now I think 8 is not enough. unless it's just action packed from beginning to end.

aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 02:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) & Misty Knight (Simone Missick) confirmed...."
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793090985123127296

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 03:14 PM

12. "So are we thinking spring release?"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 05:04 PM

13. "No, Iron Fist will be out in March"
In response to Reply # 12

so that means Defenders won't likely be out until the summer. I'd guess August or September since they seem to come out about 5 or 6 months apart.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 02:12 PM

14. "Sigourney Weaver is Alexandria"
In response to Reply # 0

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/12/defenders-first-look-sigourney-weaver/

To read more on Marvel’s The Defenders, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, or buy it here now – and subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

Come as you are, Defenders. There’s a new enemy in town.

Meet Sigourney Weaver’s Alexandra, the villain of Marvel’s The Defenders impressive enough to draw the attention of Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), Luke Cage (Mike Colter), and Iron Fist (Finn Jones). She’s an “utter badass,” showrunner Marco Ramirez says of the character, who is the perfect fit for the Sigourney Weaver, of Alien and Avatar fame. “Sigourney is the kind of person you can buy as the smartest person in the room, who you can also buy as a person holding a flamethrower. Her character is a very powerful force in New York City. She’s everything Sigourney is: sophisticated, intellectual, dangerous.” He pauses. “I’m sorry. I can only say a bunch of adjectives right now.”

A flurry of adjectives sounds about right for Alexandra, and not just because Marvel’s keeping further details about her character under tight wraps, so much so that probing Ramirez for more on Weaver’s character is like trying to stick a needle through Luke Cage’s unbreakable skin. After all, she (or whatever she’s fighting for) has to walk a very difficult, spoiler-ific line when it comes to the team-up series. “We knew it would take something massive to pull these four characters from their individual worlds to work together,” Ramirez says, “but also small enough that it felt like it existed in our world.”

For now, EW has the exclusive first look at Alexandra sitting high above the New York skyline, dressed in angelic, rabbit-in-a-snowstorm white and looking up at… someone?… Or something? She has no code name and no comic-book history, but Ramirez teases that she brings an “intellectual sophistication” that matches former big bads like Daredevil‘s Wilson Fisk (Vincent D’Onofrio). In that case, may we suggest Queenpin as a moniker?

Marvel’s The Defenders arrives summer 2017 on Netflix.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 02:15 PM

15. "The Defenders form up in a first look."
In response to Reply # 0

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/12/the-defenders-first-look-ew-cover/

After 65 episodes apart, the Defenders are, at long last, together.

On a chilly December afternoon in a brightly lit Brooklyn set, the stars of Marvel and Netflix’s small-screen superhero universe — Charlie Cox (Matt Murdock, a.k.a. Daredevil), Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones), Mike Colter (Luke Cage), and Finn Jones (Danny Rand, a.k.a. Iron Fist) — are finally filming their first scene as a group for their summer 2017 team-up, Marvel’s The Defenders.

And they’re making quite a mess. Each Defender has arrived separately at the offices of Midland Circle (a name that should sound familiar to Daredevil fans as the shady operation behind a giant, literal plot hole in season 2), and none of them expected to cross paths. But before they can properly meet and greet, the four have wound up trapped in the middle of a corridor and must brawl their way past a group of enemies. (Hey, Marvel loves hallway fight scenes ever since Daredevil pulled one off.) “Every one of them is following their own trail of bread crumbs, trying to unpack a mystery in New York,” explains showrunner Marco Ramirez, who produced Daredevil‘s first season before co-showrunning the second. “We wanted them all caught off guard. Once they’re in that room together, it’s kind of like, ‘Oh, s—, who are you?'”

It’s a bizarre beginning for a budding superhero team, but if this first meeting of the Marvel minds looks chaotic, the planning of it has been anything but. The meticulously crafted origin story can be traced back to 2013, when Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb was watching The Avengers for the fifth time and thought about creating a television series focusing on Marvel’s lesser-known heroes who have long populated the streets of New York. Loeb chose the un-Avengers-like Defenders, who prefer to operate alone in their respective New York neighborhoods and have no interest in stopping Asgardians, saving the world from aliens, or chasing mythical gemstones. “The Defenders didn’t have a ‘D’ on their belt buckles and a Defenders Tower,” says Loeb. “We agreed from the very beginning that these folks could at the very end go, ‘I never want to see your face again.'”

For more on this week’s cover story, watch EW The Show, available now here, on the new PEOPLE/Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN). Go to PEOPLE.com/PEN, or download the free app on your Smart TV, mobile and web devices.

Now, more than three years later, the culmination of Loeb’s germ of an idea is filming. But with four leads to juggle, writing the story has proved to be a superhuman task. What kind of villain could possibly unite the foursome? How can one show blend the different tones and worlds of each stand-alone series? Who will encourage them to come together? Who will fight the very idea?

EW goes back to the beginning in this week’s cover story, stepping on set during the group’s first scene together to dive into the making of Marvel’s The Defenders. The cast and filmmakers talk choosing the street-level fighters, picking the villain played by Sigourney Weaver, toying with new dynamics between the heroes (not for hire), and crafting a story that felt as real and as grounded as the previous shows. Speaking of which, make sure to read quick catch-up guides to each of the Defenders on air — and prepare yourself for what’s to come with a preview to Iron Fist, along with teases on where each Defender will be when the eight-part crossover begins.

For more on Marvel’s The Defenders, including exclusive photographs and interviews, pick up Entertainment Weekly, on stands Friday, or buy it here now. And don’t forget to subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Jan-12-17 02:18 PM

16. "...and there will be a new Defenders comic series in June..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://ew.com/books/2017/01/11/marvel-new-defenders-comic/

Marvel announces new Defenders comic series

The streets of Hell’s Kitchen are about to become safer than usual in both Marvel’s cinematic and comic book universes.

Marvel announced Wednesday that it will be publishing a new Defenders series, which will see heroes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron First join forces — not unlike on the upcoming Netflix TV show. The new comic will feature the team of New York-based heroes taking on hometown criminal empires as they attempt to run the city.

“As opposed to other more global or galactic superhero groups, the Defenders are very much focused on the streets, on the neighborhoods, on the community,” Marvel senior vice president and executive editor Tom Brevoort said in a statement. “Their battles are no less fiercely fought or consequential, but the arena is a very different one, and the stakes more personal.”

Brian Michael Bendis (Jessica Jones) will write the series, reuniting him with Invincible Iron Man artist David Marquez.

“The Defenders is a smorgasbord of everything I truly love about Marvel Comics,” Bendis said in a statement. “And to keep the team of David, Justin , and myself together for another creative challenge is so exciting! We’ve been planning this book for well over a year and we’re so excited to show you what we think the next phase of the gritty marvel streets will have to offer.”

The Defenders comics arrive in June 2017. See the first issue’s cover below.

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Mar-15-17 04:02 PM

17. "I'm hearing that this needed to be 13 episodes"
In response to Reply # 0

While Luke Cage and Iron Fist should've been 8 episodes.

I'm also hearing that this is solid but rushed.

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 01:40 PM

18. "Damn you and your sources bwood..."
In response to Reply # 17

You are usually on point with the early word, but I want this to be badass.

I still have high hopes for Iron Fist too, despite the bad early word.

Get Out the Room

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Apr-04-17 10:33 AM

19. "August 18th."
In response to Reply # 0

That's the premiere date.

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Apr-04-17 11:27 AM

20. "Brief tease"
In response to Reply # 19

https://youtu.be/ostYFNFjhJ4

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Apr-04-17 06:23 PM

21. "Has anyone visited the teaser site?"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Apr-04-17 06:24 PM by nipsey

http://nybulletin.com/

http://uproxx.com/tv/defenders-teaser-easter-egg/3/

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

bwood
8614 posts
Wed May-03-17 08:07 AM

22. "Full trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3m7B4v6Zc

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Wed May-03-17 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "Cant wait...."
In response to Reply # 22

if nothing else it'll be better than Iron Fist

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

bwood
8614 posts
Wed May-03-17 09:48 AM

24. "RE: Cant wait...."
In response to Reply # 23

I hope it's better than most of this Netflix shit.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu May-04-17 03:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "truth"
In response to Reply # 24

i usually check out after about 6 episodes. Not one series has been able to hold my attention an entire season.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Wed May-03-17 11:28 AM

25. "I wish I could get a small role before a hallway scene."

And be like "NOPE." before shit even gets started. You don't have to beat my ass in a hallway to prove a point.

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Wed May-03-17 02:15 PM

26. "That role should go to Stan Lee."
In response to Reply # 25

Have him wearing a hat low and as soon as they show up, he throws on a jacket and says, "I was just leaving."

------------------
One Hundred.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44844 posts
Thu May-04-17 09:49 AM

27. "That would work but I still prefer Thug #4"
In response to Reply # 26

Just some big Deebo lookin dude who you just know is all about that life having a sudden epiphany after seeing Luke Cage smile at the guy who just hit him in the face with a hammer.

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Thu May-04-17 03:02 PM

29. "RE: That would work but I still prefer Thug #4"
In response to Reply # 27

http://gif-central.blogspot.com/2012/02/abe-simpson-walking-in-and-out.html

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44844 posts
Thu May-04-17 03:04 PM

30. "Photoshop Deebo's head on that and I'm sold. "
In response to Reply # 29

>http://gif-central.blogspot.com/2012/02/abe-simpson-walking-in-and-out.html

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Thu May-04-17 10:36 AM

28. "I'm good with this"

As long as there's NO mention of the Meachums in any way shape or form.

I think this got a 8 episode run too.

That bodes well.

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 11:04 PM

34. "Marvel’s The Defenders | Official Trailer 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Marvel’s The Defenders | Official Trailer 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_6J9BqgonU

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 04:08 PM

35. "This review is super reassuring "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-10-17 04:10 PM by bwood

It's great to find someone who feels the same exact way I do about this Marvel Netflix shit as I do. The review grade is a B+ BTW.

Sounds like this dude wants Heroes for Hire as well.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/10/defenders-review/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Marvel’s pocket universe of super-powered pulp heroes on Netflix has been trending less marvelous since the first seasons of Daredevil (starring Charlie Cox) and Jessica Jones (starring Krysten Ritter). Luke Cage had muscular performances, led by the commanding Mike Colter, but a thin plot, while Iron Fist, led by the miscast Finn Jones, was plain and wimpy. But The Defenders — a team-up saga that assembles the leads and supporting casts of all four shows and resolves some ongoing intrigues — is a lively genre entertainment that recharges your interest in Marvel pop. It presents as a big event, yet values consolidation. Marvel should embrace this approach moving forward.

Until now, Netflix’s Marvel series have been 13 episodes long. The producers of those shows, even the better ones, have never been able to generate enough plot to fill the time, resulting in thinly stretched, poorly paced volumes of story — they just don’t know how to vamp in compelling fashion. So while capable of fielding singular episodes of great power that drill down on a character or a relationship or some bit of mythological business, they don’t do it enough and they rarely do it well, either because the characters aren’t deep enough or the writers lack sufficient imagination for them. Each starry show has had a slick, handsome veneer, yet most episodes look under-produced or underfunded, a poverty that makes for dullness. Long, chatty scenes on just a few sets and New York locations, interrupted by an occasional, elaborate fight sequences that’s usually spectacular (unless it’s happening on Iron Fist): It’s like getting promised a generous baker’s dozen and getting a bag of donut holes instead.

The Defenders is eight episodes long, and damn if it doesn’t make the case that less is more. Of course, it helps to have four leads and all of their respective dramas and supporting players to service. Each character gets a concise, emotionally resonant individual arc packed with substantial scenes. The first two episodes nimbly move between them, resetting and advancing them while also using them to nurture an intriguing mystery-driven story that brings them together for a solid group fight in episode 3 and some extended banter and bonding in episode 4. The images are sharper and more inspired, the dialogue is wittier, and the pace is breezier than the usual Marvel-Netflix escapade. Kudos to showrunners Douglas Petrie and Marco Ramirez — the team behind the disappointing second season of Daredevil — for upping their own game, honoring the best parts of every series, and elevating the franchise.

Matt Murdock, a blind, big-hearted attorney whose other senses are massively amplified, is struggling with his choice to give up moonlighting as Daredevil while estranged from friends Foggy (Elden Henson) and Karen (Deborah Ann Woll). Jessica Jones, super-strong, super-cynical private investigator, is still recovering from a triggering clash with psychic rapist Kilgrave (David Tennant) and struggling with the whole super-hero thing. Cox and Ritter — rocking their roles as anti-hero protectors of Hell’s Kitchen — are terrific and give the show its emotional heft. They sell a stand-out sequence in the early going in which they meet, verbally clash, then takes turns stalking and eluding each other in broad daylight.

As Luke Cage, Colter anchors everything with effortless charisma, grit, and wit. His “Power Man” is newly sprung from prison and re-establishing himself as an activist-defender of Harlem and reconnecting with girlfriend Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson), night nurse to costumed vigilantes. And Danny Rand, a.k.a. Iron Fist, billionaire hippie and magical white savior of the mystical Easter kingdom of K’un-Lun is… tolerable. His character is central to the story — Marvel is going to make you love this guy, dammit! — and almost everything about him remains laughably dumb, from his mythology to the concept and special effect of his “iron fist.” But Finn works hard, so hard it’s actually endearing. His mediocrity is blunted by his costars, including Jessica Henwick, improved and owning her role as Colleen Wing. The other characters are made to cast shade on Iron Fist with put-downs and eye-rolls. It’s mean and it’s cheap and it’s a degrading use of Colter in particular, and all it does is prove that Iron Fist is a weak link in this would-be fantastic foursome.

Great villains played by great actors have marked the best seasons of the Marvel-Netflix shows. See: Vincent D’Onofrio’s Wilson Fisk of Daredevil, Tenant’s Kilgrave of Jessica Jones, and the double-whammy of Mahershala Ali’s Cottonmouth and Alfre Woodward’s Mariah Dillard of Luke Cage. The Defenders is blessed by a dynamite actress and geek pop royalty: Sigourney Weaver plays Alexandra, death-defying leader of an occult underworld organization known as The Hand. She makes a generic part pop with nuanced menace and elevates everyone involved, notably Elodie Yung as the assassin Elektra. The Defenders is far from perfect. But it’s an enjoyable superhero adventure distinguished by improvements and innovations that I hope Marvel will carry forward. Shorter seasons. More team-ups. Fewer shows. Start the consolidation by letting go of Iron Fist. If Danny Rand must persist, add him to the other shows and let the stronger players carry him. That’s what superfriends are for.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 05:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "Sounds like the shorter episode order makes the show"
In response to Reply # 35

I couldn't imagine how they would run the show over 13 episodes with the other solo shows dragging at times with their 13 episode runs.

I hate school starts for me next week cause I would've love to just take a day off and watched the entire series.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Aug-10-17 05:58 PM

37. "I gotta review it myself"
In response to Reply # 36

So I'll be going through all 8 episodes next Friday myself.

I think the one thing most people seem to agree on is 6 to 8 episodes a season for this Marvel Netflix shit.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Fri Aug-11-17 01:36 PM

38. "i don't know if Defenders is a good example"
In response to Reply # 37

of course Defenders is going to seem great in 8 episodes cuz there's 4 lead characters and a bunch going on. that doesn't mean that 8 episodes of a single character's story is going to be great too though. having said that, i'm not opposed to the individual seasons being a bit shorter. i do think 13 could work though if they just get to it and keep the story moving along. now that we don't really have to do the "origin" and "getting to know you" type stuff we should be able to just jump right into a story and go. i mean AoS has 20+ episodes so it's not like 13 can't be done. it just needs to be more focused.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Aug-11-17 02:21 PM

39. "Outside of the die hard fans, AoS is not really connecting tho."
In response to Reply # 38

And like you said, no that they're back to focusing on one hero, 13 episodes seems unnecessary.

One thing they should take note of is how Luke Cage popped in and out of Jessica Jones' first season. Start doing that going forward.

That review above is pretty much what mos people outside of you and TheAnthology have been saying.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 01:38 PM

40. "Just gotta throw me in there huh hahaha"
In response to Reply # 39

Cause i didn't gripe as much. Oh ell. I guess I'll be that.

www.anthologyfmn.com

Enter the Written World of Fahim Malik Nassar

The House of Caine (available)

Melancholoy Funk (available)

Tha Anthology (Words 2001-2003) Poetry inspired by OKP and Wash, DC
(available)

The Spook who sat by the Radio Poetry (av

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 04:27 PM

41. "RE: Just gotta throw me in there huh hahaha"
In response to Reply # 40

No one rides as hard for the Marvel TV stuff as y'all do.

If y'all enjoy it, more power to you.

But for a majority of viewers, Marvel Netflix gotta make a few changes lest this falls into forgotten niche territory like AoS.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Thu Aug-31-17 11:00 AM

64. "So I guess i'm not supposed to like this either"
In response to Reply # 41

But oh well. I do. I too had issues with the "big bad" but I liked the irony of the black sky taking down the hand. I liked the matriarchy/patriarchy themes. I liked that Danny was not corny AF in this. I didn't stress Misty just doing cop ish. She is a cop. NOW that she's got the arm, there will be more to her. This season was about her seeing how truly ineffective the police are to certain situations. I see her going with Colleen into biz hopefully by next Cage season.

I agree that Marvel may suffer from saturation. But hey, I like the marvel stuff. Not really interested in the Freeform stuff or Inhumans. But I liked these.

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Aug-31-17 12:00 PM

65. "How's about you stop acting brand new nigga?"
In response to Reply # 64

I said in the post you replied to that if you like the shit then cool.

You a weird nigga.

ThaAnthology
Charter member
21061 posts
Fri Sep-01-17 09:38 AM

66. "Wow"
In response to Reply # 65
Fri Sep-01-17 09:40 AM by ThaAnthology

all of that though. I was joking with you fam. That was an abrasive reaction. Jeez. Calm down. There is nothing "weird" about me. Why so serial...???

I also truly to my core do not appreciate being termed that word. I am not one and I do not accept the terminology just because its "our favorite" lexicon.

I did or said nothing to evoke such a response. I thought we were cool bruh. Dang.

www.anthologyfmn.com

(available)

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 10:51 PM

42. "ppl pinning this purely on episode order/numbers is bullshit tho"
In response to Reply # 39

it's the quality control and the damn writing. i'd be happy with the regular 20+ ep order shows like these usually get on network tv, if they just made every episode count. i grew up watching shows with hefty episode orders knock it out of the park for the whole season. the Netflix stuff just needs to be better thought out, better written, trimmed of all unnecessary fat while drawing on decades of comic book history. it CAN'T be that hard.

as for AoS, that show has been, for at least the last couple of seasons (since it found its footing), the best property Marvel has on TV right now. and it's not on some die-hard fanboy cult shit. the show earned its early criticisms but has now definitely earned all the praise. we've had enough time living in that world with the characters that they finally made the characters the focus. the amount of emotional weight AoS' last season had was incredible. the acting of said emotions was even better. they pulled off Ghost Rider AND The Framework in the same season and it was amazing, but goddammit i shed fucking man-tears when it was all said n done lol. it's actually now bordering on (if not already reached) your standard awesome classic Whedon Buffy/Angel/Firefly level of a show (i know Jed & Maurissa are running shit but that Whedon pedigree is strong). as with most of Whedon's tv work, the shit only gets better with time. i don't know if you've checked out of the show for good and how up to date u are, but it's completely your loss, and your opinion on the show is, i think, much more in the minority these days compared to those of us who think it rocks.

i dunno. this whole shorter episodes thing doesn't solve any ongoing issues with the Netflix stuff, or with any tv shows in general. you need a showrunner with a multi-year vision, and dedication to that vision. would Supernatural's Breaking Bad quality level seasons 3-5 have benefited from a 6, 8 or 10 episode order? fuck no. chopping shit in half isn't always the fix, and the bad quality that accompanies it is just a casualty of bad planning and subpar writing.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 01:50 AM

43. "I agree that the writing should be better"
In response to Reply # 42
Thu Aug-17-17 01:56 AM by bwood

And would help with half their problems, but saying episode numbers should be cut down is bullshit is very reductive.

I highly doubt Stranger Things would be as good as it is if it had more than ten episodes a season. Same with Legion. Same with Fargo. Same with Game of Thrones.

Also with Breaking Bad, they did have some filler episodes, however they were character based. Take "Fly" for example. An instance of filler episode done right.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 08:10 AM

44. "Finished the first two episodes"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-18-17 08:11 AM by bwood

Taking a break to watch Desus & Mero as well as Weekend Update: Summer Edition.

So far there are positives and negatives.

Love how Luke is ready to be a hero for hire now.
Love how Matt is conflicted and struggling about being Daredevil. Love he's winning cases.

Love that the fights with Danny are actually exciting now.

Some of the dialogue is fucking garbage tho.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 07:47 PM

48. "RE: Finished the first two episodes"
In response to Reply # 44
Sun Aug-20-17 07:50 PM by Voodoochilde

>
>Some of the dialogue is fucking garbage tho.
>

the Dany/Coleen dialogue in the 1st two Eps was still really really bad....

It got me wondering if, in that 1st Ep at least, if each of the individual shows writers were handling some the dialogue of their own characters? Like, were the writers of the Iron Fist series scripting the Iron Fist dialogue, while the Daredevil writers handled the Matt Murdock dialogue, etc etc...? just wondered cuz the other characters dialogue was ok to me....but when the story went to Danny/Colleen the dialogue seemed to be glaringly bad...

thankfully it seems to get better as the series goes on, but that 1st episode...whew....i was worried that i was gonna have to relive the Iron Fist series all over again....

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Aug-18-17 05:00 PM

45. "One episode left."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-18-17 05:02 PM by bwood

I'm feeling really conflicted about this shit.

I hope Rjcc, BigReg & astralblak chime in on their thoughts.

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Aug-19-17 02:58 PM

46. "Full review"
In response to Reply # 0

After three years, four shows and five seasons of sixty-five-hour long episodes we are finally at the crossover event series these have built up to. The Defenders highlights the flaws of the Netflix side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe while making it abundantly clear that less is more.

Set a month after Iron Fist and a few months after the second season of Daredevil, The Hand is taken its final steps in destroying Manhattan along with other mysterious goals led by the equally mysterious Alexandra (Sigourney Weaver). However, the paths of Luke Cage (Mike Colter), Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), Daredevil (Charlie Cox) and Danny Rand the Iron Fist (Finn Jones) collide as each of their goals align to take down the hand and seek justice for each of their own reasons while learning to function as a team with Stick (Scott Glenn).

One thing I liked about The Avengers was that there was no baggage brought to the proceedings other than Cap. You could go into that film and get the general gist of things even if seeing Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and Iron Man would clear some things up and provide a more rewarding experience. The Defenders feels like the third season of Daredevil and the second season of Iron Fist rolled into one. The Hand were always so cool and formidable in the comics and yet, for now, three different shows they’ve been massively uninteresting. I can tell you straight off that the only reason The Hand remotely works here is due to Sigourney Weaver. Weaver has a presence and weight to her and sells every moment she’s on the screen on how dangerous she is. Weaver is the standout of this show and what they eventually do with her is very disappointing as no matter what no one fills her shoes.

A lot of people hated Danny Rand and Finn Jones. While I didn’t hate the character or actor playing him, more than I hated the writing I can say that both Danny and Finn are infinitely better here as the writers seem to know how to write him and play to their strengths. Jessica Henwick continues to outshine him though as Colleen Wing which is unfortunate for both Danny and Finn. And I’ll say this now. Both Marvel and Netflix would be better off combining Luke Cage and Iron Fist into Heroes for Hire, seeing as Cage is already there at the start of the series. Danny and Luke’s shared time onscreen is one of the best things about this show. Luke is constantly mocking Danny (rightfully so) and calling out his white privilege (which had me clapping hard). Danny learns a lot from Luke over the course of the series. I gotta say Luke was a much better character in the first season of Jessica Jones as a supporting character as is Danny a much better character when he’s not the focus of things even if he is the most important character in the show.

The show is smart in its pairings of Danny and Luke as well as Matt and Jessica. Matt and Jessica have the back and forth banter than makes the dialogue pop when in between the bigger moments of the show. Same goes with the pairing of Misty Knight (Simone Missick), Colleen and Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson). One of the things that gets me excited for Iron Fist season two is the pairing of these ladies as The Daughters of the Dragon (Maybe we should make Danny a supporting character and rebrand Iron Fist into this). Not to spoil things but where Misty ends up at the end of this should have comics geeks like me excited for what comes next.

I know one of the biggest complaints from Iron Fist has been the fights and I’m so glad to say that the fights are not only well choreographed but are fun. Finn can finally pull a punch and it looks good. But not only are the fights good with our four Defenders, they’re good with Colleen, Misty, and Claire. The two parts that had me geeked were fights. One set to Run the Jewels and one set to Wu-Tang Clan. Both are perfect that add fun and energy. As a hip-hop head, I hope that Danny and Luke’s love of the genre is explored in the future and what brings them closer as friends and allies.

This is only eight episodes and yet half of these feels dragged out with lots of wheel spinning. As I stated this show comes with a lot of baggage. Thankful, Jessica has next to no catch up to do as she’s still a reluctant hero. We get Luke out of jail and back in Harlem quickly. Jessica and Luke’s separate investigations gets them into the inciting incident much quicker than Matt and Danny. Danny is still overseas at the show’s start and Matt is wrestling with well everything. I know like Danny, Matt’s best friend Franklin “Foggy” Nelson is hated as well as Elden Henson who portrays him, but he’s written and acted very well here. Same can’t be said about Karen Page. It’s nothing against Deborah Ann Woll who does a good job with the material given and more towards the character itself. Just like the second season of Daredevil, the writers seem not to know what to do with her. Karen being in The Punisher does not bode well for that show either. Not to mention that some of the dialogue is flat-out bad.

This takes place in the MCU, and has made explicit references to those characters as well as The Avengers and yet these characters all have a hard time believing Danny’s story about the Iron Fist, have a hard time believing The Hand, have a hard time believing resurrection can happen, and have a hard time believing a blind man can have extraordinary abilities. These cats have superpowers and live in a superpowered universe where these big events occur every other day, yet have a hard time believing one another and their stories. It’s asinine and bad writing.

One of the biggest questions I had was Luke and Jessica and how their relationship status would be handled. Well, the flame is still there between the two but it seems they’re keeping them apart so they can go off and do their own shows. It’s frustrating as the head of Marvel Television Jeph Loeb has made it clear that Jess and Luke’s daughter, as well as their marriage, is years off (It’s not like these actors are in their early thirties so…really?) which fine but to not have these two be together is curious. And Luke not checking in on Jess is so out of character especially with their final scene it all rung false to me.

The end of episode three is only one of two times I geeked out. The next episode, however, the wind is sucked out of the sails as we spend an entire episode of the four heroes bickering about why they are not working together as Stick has put their asses in check. I get that these people would not want to work together, but an entire episode? After we’ve spent three episodes trying to get these people together we must deal with them being petty? It made me wonder if this really should’ve been six episodes rather than eight as the first two episodes will have you yelling get on with it. Look The Avengers didn’t like each other either, but when push came to shove they got it together when shit hit the fan. By the time episode four arrives, the fan is practically destroyed.

Elektra Natchios is again brought to life beautifully by Elodie Yung and once again she’s one of the most uninteresting aspects of this show. Just like The Hand, Elektra is boring which amazes me as she’s one of Daredevil’s most defining characters and storylines that it is almost iconic. With all branches of The Hand fully united in The Defenders, we got Bakuto (Ramon Rodriguez) back from Iron Fist and he also blows here just as much as he did in that show. However, Gao once again played by Wai Ching Ho continues to be the only interesting aspect of The Hand along with Alexandra. As far as street level villains I hope Turk (Rob Morgan) keeps popping up as he’s always stealing the spotlight whenever he appears in these shows.

All four shows so far have had excellent scores with Luke Cage and Iron Fist having great song selection. The Defenders has such a forgettable score that it’s a shame. You would think this would have the second-best score (Luke Cage had Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. No one is topping that). Not a single cue stood out over the eight episodes that transpired.

While the payoff doesn’t happen till the last episode, it’s great to see these characters grow (even if Luke Cage is wishy-washy with a willingness to work with people from show to show). By the show’s end that last shot of Danny has me excited for what comes next in Iron Fist season two. With huge reservations. Depending on the type of case she gets Jessica Jones season two could be great too. Daredevil season three has the most potential out of all the shows going forward, but if these shows are to survive then they need to be shorter, as this eight-episode crossover couldn’t even sustain itself with the four heroes and their supporting characters. And yes, while this is infinitely better than Daredevil season two, Luke Cage, and of course Iron Fist, I just can’t see these guys doing thirteen episodes on their own.

When Jeph Loeb was announced to be the head of Marvel Television, my friend laughed and said how that was a bad idea. I see that he was right as he stated in an interview that there will be minimal crossover between shows which is a huge mistake. The way Luke Cage popped in and out of Jessica Jones in the first season is how they all need to interact from here on out. If that’s not gonna happen then what was the point? Especially since no one knows if they’ll ever do The Defenders again which blows my mind.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 06:35 AM

49. "great review"
In response to Reply # 46

I watched it all on Friday/Saturday morning.

Underwhelming is probably the main thing I'd say about it. A friend/fellow Marvel fan asked me about it and I could only say "Scale down your anticipation." That's my biggest gripe about it. After four shows all leading up to this mega team-up, the result is something that's not really worth getting too excited about.

As far as villains go, this show made the EXACT SAME mistake that Luke Cage Season 1 made, which is was a huge disappointment.

Iron Fist wasn't terrible, but he was easily one of the weakest parts of the show. I mean I'll watch Iron Fist season 2 because I read that Scott Buck is no longer the showrunner, but Danny Rand/Iron Fist comes off more like a pouty teenager than a mighty, disciplined warrior trained from childhood in a mystical land.

I liked Misty Knight's character. I would actually watch a sort of superhero crime show based around her character. At times she shows more personality/complexity than even the four leads.

And without exactly spoiling it, I thought the big climax of the last ep fell flat because OBVIOUSLY all of the individual characters are getting another season of their respective shows, so the stakes are pretty low. It made me feel the same way that the ending of Batman vs. Superman did (although The Defenders is way better than that), where Superman is supposedly "dead" and there's zero emotional resonance because clearly Superman is not dead.

Oh and I was a little disappointed that The Punisher didn't make a surprise appearance.

Overall, it wasn't bad. It was better than Iron Fist, and better than the second half of Luke Cage. Maybe even the second half of Daredevil season 2. But it just wasn't a satisfying culmination to all of the Netflix Marvel shows in the way that The Avengers was a satisfying culmination of the Disney Marvel movies. It just solidified for me that the only real standout Marvel Netflix show is Jessica Jones. The rest are eh, okay.

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 07:54 AM

50. "I agree with everything you said."
In response to Reply # 49

A lot of people on Twitter have been saying how they're done with Marvel TV.

I gotta review Inhumans, but after that, I think I might give Punisher a shot and maybe Jessica Jones season 2. But I'm good on Marvel TV.

It's a shame really cause Daredevil is my favorite superhero of all time. Charlie Cox is practically perfect as Matt. It's just the ingredients don't come together.

And I agree the BvS ending was better here because we're more invested in the characters and it feels earned.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 05:35 PM

47. "5 eps in, Jessica Jones /Krysten Ritter OWNS this one ya'll...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-20-17 05:40 PM by Voodoochilde

spoilers at bottom...

i'm having fun with this one....

after the embarrassingly bad, unintentionally funny PREVIOUS Marvel/Netflix series, which shall not be named as i'm attempting to wipe it from my memory (but it 'kinda sorta' rhymed with "Tired Listless")...thank god that this new Defenders series is a refreshingly enjoyable watch so far....

and damn, Krysten Ritter is stealing every scene she's in too...i absolutely can't get enough of her as Jessica Jones....i dig her, dig her, dig her....really looking forward to her next JJ solo series

she (and Charlie Cox as DD and Rosario as Claire) have been giving the strongest, most convincing grounded performances on the Defenders show no doubt about it....

Spoilers below...

and kudos to great casting on Elektra: Elodie Yung most definitely looks and feels the part of the Elektra that i imagined. Same goes for Scott Glenn as STICK!!! (he's another scene stealer, in a good way.)

yep, I'm having a good time with this one so far, heres hoping it closes out strong...

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 08:20 AM

51. "Liked it, didn't love it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't think I'd get to all of it this weekend, but my wife was more invested than I was, so we definitely fit in the whole thing over 3 days.

SPOILERS with my The Good, Bad, Ugly, and Best below...

The Good: Charlie Cox as DD, Mike Colter as Luke Cage, Ritter as JJ, Sigourney FTW! Colleen Wing and Misty Knight (THAT ending for her!!!) need their own show. Rosario better keep showing up in each show, she's great. I like the idea of the five fingers of the Hand, and Madame Gao is pretty badass. Stick and Elektra were pretty solid too, especially how powerful they made Elektra as she kicked the shit out of the main four. I REALLY hope these characters keep interacting, the big problem with The Avengers after that first movie was the lack of crossovers until the next Avengers movie (rumor is that this isn't going to be the case though, unfortunately).

The Bad: Finn Jones was better here than in his show, but still the weak link. I liked him quite a bit at first, but he became too important to the plot, and a whiny bitch on top of all that. Killing the lead villain, especially one as great as Sigourney (which is what I was calling her, regardless of her character's name) was a mistake, despite giving Elektra more to do. I liked seeing all of the minor characters, but half of them didn't get much to do (JJ and DD's suffered the most).

The Ugly: Bad writing. These characters not believing in K'un L'un, dragons, resurrection... They live in a city where aliens attacked New York and were fought off by the God of thunder and a giant green monster man. Acknowledgement really needs to happen between the shows and movies. Everything got wrapped too nicely too didn't it? I mean, they didn't have to show DD at the end, leave that until his next season starts. And fighting below a building in the remains of an ancient dragon was pretty hilarious, but not in a good way. Gritty realistic heroes fight in NYC... in the bones of a dragon? I honestly thought Fin Fang Foom was going to show up.

The Best: That first scene in the hallway at the end of Episode 3 of the four leads meeting for the first time was EPIC. AS. FUCK. That shot of Sigourney in the board room just before shit goes down, Run the Jewels on the soundtrack, Luke and Danny fight together in the boardroom, Elektra shows up to give DD some shit, the tracking shot in the hallway... I had goosebumps the whole time. A couple of the other fights were pretty legit too, like the one where DD, JJ, and Luke fought the five fingers in the basement just before Colleen, Misty, and Clair show up is one that hasn't been mentioned, but was pretty great, especially showing just how powerful Madame Gao (underrated character alert!) is.

Overall, I definitely prefer DD S1 and JJ S1. This is on par with LC S1 and DD S2, although I might prefer those seasons, got to let it sink in a little bit more. It is better than IF S1 though, but most people will agree with that statement.

Get Out the Room

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 10:40 AM

53. "I think Madame Gao is the most underrated character of all."
In response to Reply # 51

Back again for the first time.

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 01:53 PM

61. "SHE IS THE ONE THAT NEEDS THE DAMN SERIES."
In response to Reply # 53

A Madame Gao series!?!?!?!?! i AM THERE.

a K'Un Lun series with Madame Gao at the center....I am there.

------------------
One Hundred.

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 10:27 AM

52. "finished it. I thought it was pretty good. "
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't know what to expect. I didn't like Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist was awful, but I enjoyed it. Fight scenes were good.

Back again for the first time.

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 11:06 AM

54. "I hated to see Misty spin her wheels doing by-the-books police work."
In response to Reply # 0

Like, this shit is not run of the mill cops & robbers shit going on.

I would've liked to see her get some kind of Stark tech arm.

x49
Member since Nov 04th 2009
1716 posts
Mon Aug-21-17 07:56 PM

55. "this might be a stupid question but..."
In response to Reply # 0

what made elektra so special? as far as i could tell she didn't really have super powers. i mean she seemed stronger than average and she was a highly skilled fighter but so were the fingers of the hand. madame gao out there like the last airbender. why was she supposed to be the ultimate weapon?

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 06:15 AM

56. "because of reasons"
In response to Reply # 55

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 07:32 AM

57. "RE: because of reasons"
In response to Reply # 56

Dragon Blood and because she's the Black Sky (still don't know what the fuck that means/is).

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 08:55 AM

59. "I didn't get it either"
In response to Reply # 57

I had no idea what being the "Black Sky" actually meant. In fact I'm not 100% sure what The Hand's main plan was in blowing up New York, or why they needed Iron Fist, or even what was going on underneath that building with the dragon skeleton.

I spent part of the time just enjoying the action, and spent the other part of the time thinking "Hold on, what are the villains trying to do? What's their big scheme? Oh wait, I don't give a fuck."

I know it had something to do with the substance, whatever that is. It's honestly not worth it to rewatch or google for a full explanation.

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 09:34 AM

60. "After this I wonder what the point of Marvel TV is?"
In response to Reply # 59

I've read about 20 different articles at 20 different outlets by 20 different writers since Sunday.

All of them asking that question as since The Defenders did not deliver on what most people expected. And since this kinda landed with a thud, I'm asking the same question since the movies never acknowledge the events of anything in Marvel TV.

Also, there are way too many shows.

The Netflix stuff
The ABC stuff
Runaways on Hulu
Cloak & Dagger and New Warriors on Freeform

And for what? It feels like the Marvel bubble might burst from over saturation. People are gonna get sick of this sooner than later.

I forget who said it, but all these characters don't need shows. At all.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 08:55 AM

58. "At least it made Danny somewhat more interesting than his own show"
In response to Reply # 0

The 8 episode order was a good idea, but it still seemed a little too long.

But hot damn there were some good fights.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 01:55 PM

62. "Tooo much filler...its like they don't know how to write for bit charact..."
In response to Reply # 0

Everything was centered on the main characters interaction between each other, the villains and sidekicks.

It was shot beautiful....but all the jump cuts were filler.

Disappointed.

------------------
One Hundred.

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Tue Aug-22-17 08:59 PM

63. "Finished it a few days ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Proud disclaimer: I saw none and will continue to see none of the Iron Fist show, even though Colleen is a strong character who is worth watching. Rand is immature and unmeasured, essentially everything that the Iron Fist shouldn't be. Luke shouldn't have to call out his white privilege, that should be part of his internal conflict, but it's not there. He reminded me of the kid in "The Toy" who insisted that Richard Pryor should play with him because he HAD to, not because he would have any desire to do so. This character inherently weakened the show, and that shouldn't be overlooked.

With that said, and having seen all of DD, JJ, and LC, and now this, the writing is the weak link. DD season 1 is the best of all of these, and I think that is because the story was written so cohesively, it all flows together and very little feels forced. HOWEVER, he's a fucking lawyer and he does very little lawyering. Showing him balancing his two lives, rather than sitting at one end of the seesaw while the other never lowers, would be an organic way to "fill" 13 episodes, or at least place more value in whatever lesser number would fit. DD 2 was paper thin, evidenced by inserting Punisher in there to carry a significant part of the plot.

JJ is next best, with a great character and great supporting characters, a solid villain, but a weak middle that drags on longer than it should. It's also not clear how Jessica developed an immunity to Kilgrave and why no one else ever seemed to.Having Luke in there was definitely a positive storyline and provided weight to some of Jessica's pre-show starting backstory.

LC started as good as any of the shows but with the killing of Cottonmouth, it moved into a directionless series of badassery and gangsta shit that started to rob the story of the intricate character development that was first present.

Moving to Defenders, I was impressed at the patience in building up to their first set of fights/meetings. Iron Fist was trash rap throughout, but his exchanges with Luke were quality. This was a story that could have taken a legitimate 13 episodes, but in order to make it believable, each character needed to be shown maintaining a balance between regular life and hero life.
And the dialogue, many damn. A screenplay is a story told with pictures, why so much damn exposition? Why does a conversation between Matt and Stick take so many words? Like it jumped out at me when they talked about Elektra? After he says "Don't bullshit me Matty" did he REALLY have to say her name? I know it's minor but it went against everything about them. Too blind dudes who can sense everything have to be extra wordy? And Danny Rand's dialogue was generally corny as fuck.

Episodes 3-4 were some fire, then it became an endurance race. Misty being too late to "catching up" is tired as shit. She KNOWS Cage is the real deal, playing stubborn cop for 45 out of 50 minutes betrays her intelligence.

I'm tired as shit of Elektra. Matt and Karen's deal has many more layers. Also, I don't recall any acknowledgement that Luke is with Claire in Jessica's presence. That's a hell of a fucking triangle that is seemingly completely avoided. No tension whatsoever. Wasted opportunity.

Phase Rand out or write him a better story would be a big improvement, but it needs to tighten up.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Sat Sep-02-17 01:17 PM

67. "This was very meh...I might be good on these Marvel shows"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 08:52 AM

68. "This is the least watched Marvel Netflix show yet"
In response to Reply # 0

Embarrassing. And bad news for the 8 shows Marvel has coming.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-marvel-the-defenders-least-viewed-series-debut-1202564402/

Netflix ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Is Least-Viewed Among Marvel Street-Hero Series in Debut Month in U.S., Study Finds

NY Digital Editor
Todd Spangler
NY Digital Editor @xpangler

September 20, 2017 | 11:22AM PT

Turns out that as a crime-fighting quartet, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist together may be weaker than they are as solo vigilantes.

“Marvel’s The Defenders,” featuring the street-hero characters, was the least-watched Netflix Marvel original series premiere in the U.S. as measured over the first 30 days of viewership, according to an analysis by Jumpshot, a marketing-analytics firm.

For the comparison, Jumpshot created an index benchmarking each of the Netflix Marvel series against the top-viewed of the bunch, which was “Daredevil” season 2 in March 2016. Following its Aug. 18 premiere, “The Defenders” clocked in with just 17% of the viewership that “Daredevil” season two received in the first 30 days. The study looked at Netflix U.S. subs who watched at least one episode of each series.

Compared with “The Defenders,” the previous premieres of “Iron Fist,” “Luke Cage” and “Jessica Jones” performed relatively equally in the first 30 days, accounting for 28%, 27% and 26% of “Daredevil” season 2’s viewership, respectively. In addition to being the least-viewed of the group, “The Defenders” also had the largest week-over-week drop in viewership, declining by 67%, 48% and 41%, respectively, over the 30-day period, per Jumpshot.

Netflix doesn’t release viewing data, leaving industry players to rely on estimates from third parties. But execs from the streaming-video company have routinely questioned the validity of attempts to gauge consumption on its global platform.

Moreover, Netflix evaluates the full performance of its content on its VOD service over a longer span than just 30 days. But the initial consumption of a series is often a good indicator of its long-term performance, and it’s worth noting that “The Defenders” showed a significant drop in viewers in the first month on the service.

The eight-episode miniseries “Marvel’s The Defenders” tells the story of Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), Luke Cage (Mike Colter) and Iron Fist (Finn Jones), who reluctantly band together to save New York City from criminal mastermind Alexandra Reid (Sigourney Weaver).

Why did “The Defenders” mashup get a colder shoulder than its predecessor series? One explanation may be that each of the individual street heroes appeals to different kinds of viewers, at least among Netflix members who had never watched content tagged as in the “superhero” genre before.

According to a Netflix news release, one-eighth of the viewers for the Marvel street-hero series were new to the comic-book genre. Among this group of newbies, “Daredevil” viewers gravitate toward storylines featuring antiheroes and moral ambiguity; “Jessica Jones” attracted those attuned to “sharp humor and dark crime”; “Luke Cage” watchers tended to prefer stories about “dangerous worlds and complex consequences”; and “Iron Fist” drew in fans of coming-of-age tales.

For the data on Netflix originals, Jumpshot looked at the viewing behavior and activity of the company’s U.S. members. The San Francisco-based company analyzes anonymized click-stream data from a panel of more than 100 million internet consumers, amounting to some 160 billion individual data points per month. The data excludes viewing that occurs on connected-TV platforms or Netflix mobile apps, but Jumpshot says its benchmark analysis reflects aggregate viewing on the platform.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:10 AM

69. "everyone was complaining about superhero movie fatigue"
In response to Reply # 68

I never thought much of the superhero fatigue thing. I grew up reading comics and for me these movies are satisfying the 13 year old in me who really wanted to see Marvel characters on screen.

But man, the TV shows are ruining it for everyone. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were off to a great start. Even half of Luke Cage was good. But yeah, Iron Fist was a dud, Defenders was a dud, Inhumans was a serious dud.

Now? The Gifted, The Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, The Punisher...I know I'm leaving out more.

It definitely seems like overkill.

So far at least the movies are safe. And man if Avengers Infinity War tanks, then this whole ship will sink.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:28 AM

70. "I don't understand why they just don't..."
In response to Reply # 69
Fri Sep-22-17 09:31 AM by bwood

...fold Marvel TV. Jeph Loeb clearly has no idea what he's doing. He just said a couple of weeks ago that ABC is still the mothership for Marvel TV even if ABC treats Marvel like a pimple on their asscheek.

And for the best Marvel show to be Legion (an X-Men related show nonetheless) is saying a lot.

Ever since its premiere, I've talked to a lot of people who feel as if all of these characters should operate in the movies or give them the budget they need with much better writing and shorter episode count.

The biggest question coming out this series is do these characters need a second or third season cause they have the rights or should we take a less is more approach going forward by combining shows and lowering episode count? And they mos def need new writers going forward.

This video sums it up pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Jv2oD_sxo

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 11:44 AM

71. "...aaaaaaand "
In response to Reply # 70

Scott Buck should never be allowed to be the showrunner for anything ever again. Superhero related or otherwise.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #714206 Previous topic | Next topic