Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #713433

Subject: "Outcast (da Walking Dead guys new show, Cinemax)" Previous topic | Next topic
BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jun-22-16 08:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Outcast (da Walking Dead guys new show, Cinemax)"
Mon Aug-08-16 06:28 PM by BigReg

It's Robert Kirkman's new horror comic that got signed to a TV deal out the gate because Walking Dead prints money.

Quick Synopsis; a dude who's whole life has been ruined by possible mental illness/possible demonic procession of the people around him moves back to his home town and tries to figure out exactly why bad shit follows him.

It's tonally a completely different show then Walking Dead and finds its influences in the current run of American ghost horror (Conjuring, Paranormal Activity). The first episode hit that sweet spot out of the park and it's free online on youtube (and a solid mini-movie on its own).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBRe2ITyMxw

The episodes since then have been a slow but entertaining build to the bigger mysteries. Well worth watching the first episode and sticking around

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lotsa fun
Jun 24th 2016
Okay I'll give it a try
Jun 26th 2016
Saw the first two episodes last night...
Jun 29th 2016
Holy shit those last two episodes.
Jun 30th 2016
That may be the better time slot for it now
Jun 30th 2016
      Yup. It deserves better.
Jun 30th 2016
           i have to watch saturdays
Jul 05th 2016
This might be my new favorite show.
Jul 11th 2016
Yup. Actually I was afraid to check it out because it of TWD connection
Jul 18th 2016
      Exactly...
Jul 18th 2016
Damn... so what are we seeing now?
Aug 03rd 2016
I love how they played with expectations
Aug 03rd 2016
That last episode though
Aug 08th 2016
Cray Cray.
Aug 08th 2016
      This show is so good!
Aug 09th 2016
           Sidney's not even playing chess, he's playing chutes+ladders
Aug 09th 2016
She got the magic touch!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 12th 2016
It makes sense though
Aug 13th 2016
Great Finale.
Aug 13th 2016
I'm not mad they didn't give
Aug 13th 2016
I screamed with joy
Aug 14th 2016
Where I'm at w it
Sep 05th 2016

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Lotsa fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Watched the first 2 and this is becoming my favorite show on TV right now. It's that low brow horror made unapologetically for real horror fans. Only Penny Dreadful has done that right, so far.

The mood is dark.It has that same atmosphere as the first season of True Detective.Creepy American gothic all sprinkled with a good dose of the Exorcist. The main character is my kind of protagonist, his confusion and state of perpetual sorrow, evolves as he is peeling te misteries around him.

Definitely sticking around for this one. Between Banshee, The Knick and that Cinemax is where it's at.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Okay I'll give it a try"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Jun-29-16 01:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Saw the first two episodes last night..."
In response to Reply # 0

on the strength of this post. Pretty cool atmosphere so far, it's been a while since I jumped into some horror (totally skipped AHS:Hotel).

There's potential here, but admittedly I'm partially watching this because I have Cinemax free for three months.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Jun-30-16 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Holy shit those last two episodes."
In response to Reply # 0

The demon in episode 3 was incredibly unnerving then he was actually topped by creepy old lady in episode 4.

I dig how they're playing with conventions on how you expect these various demons to be.

Unfortunate thing is it sounds like ratings are abysmal for the show, despite getting picked up for another season. Airing on Fridays will do that though... so when I looked for it this Friday on my DVR it wasn't there. Apparently it moved to Sundays now? Really odd how they're handling it.

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Thu Jun-30-16 10:52 AM

5. "That may be the better time slot for it now"
In response to Reply # 4

Since GoT is over for this year and Walking Dead doesn't come back until October.

Friday night is such an odd time slot for anything like this cause I'm not checking for any TV at all then.

Shame cause its such a good show. One of the better shows that I feel no one is watching. Hope people pay more attention to it though. The people that I have turned on to it love it.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Jun-30-16 12:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Yup. It deserves better."
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Jun-30-16 12:10 PM by BigReg

>Since GoT is over for this year and Walking Dead doesn't come
>back until October.
>
>Friday night is such an odd time slot for anything like this
>cause I'm not checking for any TV at all then.

Funny thing is as long as it's not at the same exact time as Walking Dead an October launch would do well for it because it would be in season and just ride the wave of all the horror entertainment. Only reason this popped in my radar was because ive been on a graphic novel/comic kick and this popped up.

Nobody's trying to spend summertime indoors on a friday, even I end up watching it on a monday...maybe a lazy saturday afternoon.

That said, with the renewal and the apparent quality Im hoping they give it a good run next season. If the quality stays this high its gonna be one of my fav's for this year.

lfresh
92696 posts
Tue Jul-05-16 08:47 PM

7. "i have to watch saturdays"
In response to Reply # 6

Afternoon full daylight
(.. )

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Jul-11-16 09:07 AM

8. "This might be my new favorite show. "
In response to Reply # 0

Really digging how they slowly feed out these little nuggets of info.

Who is Sidney? Wtf is the Great Merge? Is Amber the one that's possessed since Allison probably isn't? How are these demons different from each other? (don't answer that if you actually know these answers via comic though, hah)

I can see why they'd want to advertise the show as a Kirkland vehicle but if I didn't know it was his I wouldn't have guessed it. There's not exactly a ton of nuance in TWD, hah (or maybe I'm looking to deep into Outcast)

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Jul-18-16 10:42 AM

9. "Yup. Actually I was afraid to check it out because it of TWD connection"
In response to Reply # 8

But it's what I wanted; a show with solid short term plot goals and a concrete long game.

Its kind of wonky how all the excorcisms he's done have failed over the years. I also fully expect that even the 'demonic' possessions aren't all they seemed from the explanation that the big dude gave of wanting to be posessed.

While I expect them to take their time to fully explain Kyle, I hope they get around to explaining why he seems to be a demonic battery + will he ever run out of juice. Dude's gotten his soul sucked like 5 times already in this short run, lol.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Mon Jul-18-16 03:53 PM

10. "Exactly..."
In response to Reply # 9

more discerning viewers would steer clear because of the TWD affiliation, not towards it. That's basically my story, but it was your post that made me give it a shot... and I'm glad you did post, hah.

> Its kind of wonky how all the excorcisms he's done have failed over the years. I also fully expect that even the 'demonic' possessions aren't all they seemed from the explanation that the big dude gave of wanting to be posessed.

That opening scene... holy shit. Really organic way to show the extent of his failures, and those tapes raise a ton of questions as to the nature of the possessions. I was raised Catholic and portrayals of exorcism have always fascinated me. They're breaking a lot of "rules" with this series so I'm curious to see how it will all be explained (not that I'm an exorcism "expert" per se, just referring to expectations gleaned from decades of watching horror, hah).

And yeah, it was crazy how possession was described by Kubiak (bonus points if you get that reference). It doesn't seem to be an uncomfortable situation at all so maybe that's why those "freed" by Kyle can enter a comatose state, presumably because of trauma?

> Dude's gotten his soul sucked like 5 times already in this short run, lol.

Serious right? There's clearly a finite amount in Kyle, Mildred fully intended to suck him dry, and Sidney wants to reserve that shit for other demons.

If Mildred died soon after sucking Kyle down (phrasing), then it stands to reason that the host's personal health has an effect on the possession, right? And I wonder why these demons seem to be re-manifesting now? Maybe tied to Kyle's re-emergence?

So... many... damn... questions....

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 11:01 AM

11. "Damn... so what are we seeing now?"
In response to Reply # 0

There are some interesting theories out there, with some of the best ones being angel or alien possession. I could see merit in either/or, honestly.

I enjoyed how they revealed the reason for the cult-ish sacrifices in the woods. That was a huge question mark the whole season (especially Lenny's behavior) so I'm glad it was explained so organically. It's interesting to see complicit behavior from "regular" humans when they see possession (FUCKING POSSESSION) in their loved ones.

Damn good show, hopefully it picks up viewers from word of mouth though.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Aug-03-16 12:05 PM

12. "I love how they played with expectations"
In response to Reply # 11

Like how they had Ogden pegged as being demonically possessed, to being at least involved in some satanic shit in the cabin...to just being a loving husband, lol.

I also love the fact that we are playing with what is 'good' and evil on a basic level. Sidney's not 100% on the up and up considering the first thing he did when he came into town was murder someone, so who knows if what he's saying is 100% true. But I love the bigger implication of it.

It's also an interesting study on holier then thou religion; Preacher man keeps on falling for the okey doke outta that pride, even now it feels like he cares less about stopping what's happening then proving to everyone he was 'right'.

Great show.

b2thej
Member since Feb 11th 2005
9146 posts
Mon Aug-08-16 06:12 PM

13. "That last episode though "
In response to Reply # 0

This is my favorite show right now.

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Aug-08-16 06:26 PM

14. "Cray Cray."
In response to Reply # 13
Tue Aug-09-16 12:30 PM by BigReg

>This is my favorite show right now.

Although goddamn at the cloud over Kyle; his moms, his wife, and basically his sister. As dark as I assume the show/comic gets hopefully there's a light at the end of his tunnel.

The preacher man's EPIC stupidity is killing me but it makes sense after what he's seen (confirmation of satan and evil spirits) to be so goddamn stubborn and self righteous in his ways. At least last episode shows he knows he's stupid: "How often do you get to punch satan in the face?"

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 10:48 AM

15. "This show is so good!"
In response to Reply # 14

And you're right the Preachers stupidity is really killing me. IT's almost like he's losing the war with evil because its causing him to be so irrational when all he has to do is play it cool and be calculated. It's almost like Sidney wants him to be off the chain because he's proving to be a nut to everyone in the town.

What's up with shows now making you hate kids? I want that red headed boy to die in the most horrible fashion.

Because of the ending I can't wait to see what happens next episode.

I said it before, more people need to be watching this.

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Aug-09-16 12:45 PM

16. "Sidney's not even playing chess, he's playing chutes+ladders"
In response to Reply # 15

>And you're right the Preachers stupidity is really killing
>me. IT's almost like he's losing the war with evil because
>its causing him to be so irrational when all he has to do is
>play it cool and be calculated. It's almost like Sidney wants
>him to be off the chain because he's proving to be a nut to
>everyone in the town.

and Preacher man falls for it each and every time. I can understand having Satan walk into church and assault you might drive you a bit loony enough to freak out in public but after that 'memorial' day massacre his consistent amount of L's is just silly. But Id be lying if I said it wasn't believable, lol...and at least he's admitted its ego driven.

>What's up with shows now making you hate kids? I want that
>red headed boy to die in the most horrible fashion.

I just think its shitty casting. Maybe they wanted us to intentionally think he's a demon like they did with Ogden but dude is a one note asshole. Like how bad a teen character do you have to be where that when Sidney had to fight off his hosts urge to rape + attack him i was like, *kanye shrug* LOL.

b2thej
9146 posts
Fri Aug-12-16 09:54 PM

17. "She got the magic touch!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

That last scene though! This shit is clearly bigger than what Kyle thought lol

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sat Aug-13-16 09:33 AM

18. "It makes sense though"
In response to Reply # 17

>That last scene though! This shit is clearly bigger than what
>Kyle thought lol

Because at a certain point I was like, 'That's alot of goddamn processions happening in a small period of time'. To make this a 'They Live' type scenario is more interesting.

On top of the fact that with his daughter also having the touch (c) Transformers it ramps up the tension...they can't outright kill Kyle because you get the feeling he's needed...but if they have what makes him special in a smaller easier to control form then she's REALLY in danger.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sat Aug-13-16 09:35 AM

19. "Great Finale."
In response to Reply # 0

While I am eager to find the answers, Im not mad at the pace since the show itself is so good and looking back to where we began to now alot of shit has gone down (we went from a priest/weirdo forming an exorcism duo into some crazy metaphysical conspiracy).

AND THAT FUCKING KID IS DEAD. GOOD RIDDANCE.

b2thej
9146 posts
Sat Aug-13-16 11:01 AM

20. "I'm not mad they didn't give"
In response to Reply # 19

us all the answers at all. Honestly I was so caught up it didn't matter. I only want to know what is the mouth soul sucking thing about.

I'm happy as shit that asshole kid is dead

PSN ID - dirty_MF_bucks

Paps_Smear
4254 posts
Sun Aug-14-16 04:19 PM

21. "I screamed with joy"

>AND THAT FUCKING KID IS DEAD. GOOD RIDDANCE.

For real fuck that kid!

=================

Twitch.tv/durtygambino

lfresh
92696 posts
Mon Sep-05-16 04:36 PM

22. "Where I'm at w it"

Super curious
I'll give it a second season
~~~~
~~~~

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #713433 Previous topic | Next topic