Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #713376

Subject: "Justice League (Snyder, 2017)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86641 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Justice League (Snyder, 2017)"

I'll leave this here. Still too soon for actual hope, but...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/21/a-hater-tours-the-justice-league-set

A Hater Tours The JUSTICE LEAGUE Set
Have DC Films and Zack Snyder learned from BvS? Devin went to London to find out.
By DEVIN FARACI Jun. 21, 2016

Intro: In Which I Get Invited To The Set Of Justice League And This Upsets Certain Elements Of The Reddit Community

When Reddit’s “DC Cinematic” subgroup figured out I was headed to London to visit the set of Justice League its lunatic fringe just about filled their diapers in outrage. How dare Devin Faraci, the avatar of hatred for the DC Extended Universe, be invited to see this hotly awaited film while it was in production?

As often happens on that subreddit, weird theories popped up. Maybe Zack Snyder had invited me to the set in order to exact his revenge. Maybe this was all a set-up to get me humiliated or beaten. Some redditors happily imagined Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill chewing me out for my many post-Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice thinkpieces. One guy wrote an elaborate fan fiction wherein I was tied to a chair and tortured with a razor.

They were right, I was invited to the set because I was a hater. But the mission wasn’t to humiliate me or to take me down a notch. It was to convert me. It was to show me that things were going to be different with Justice League. Hell, if I had to sum this entire set visit up in one quote it would come from producer Debbie Snyder, talking about the lessons she and Zack learned from critical and audience reactions to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice:

"We learned that people don't like seeing their heroes deconstructed.”

Let's roll it back a week. Bebe Lerner, Zack Snyder's publicist, got in touch with me. I've known Bebe a long time, so this wasn't that unusual. What was unusual was the offer she had. Bebe told me that Zack and everybody at DC Films had been reading all the stuff I wrote about BvS (as I mentioned, I was not fond of that film) and that Zack wanted to invite me to the set of Justice League so that he could show off how the crew was righting the ship. They heard the criticisms, was what I understood, and they wanted me to see how they were reacting to them. What’s more, the embargo would be short - I could have this piece up almost immediately. They clearly wanted to get the conversation about Justice League changed ASAP.

So off I went to Old Blighty, where I would interview Ben Affleck while he was in the Bat costume and find that he was really funny, really smart and really into making sure we know that Batman isn't killing people anymore.

1. In Which I See The Concept Art And Learn The Basic Plot Whilst Having Previous Scoops Confirmed

Justice League is shooting at Leavesden Studios, about an hour outside of London. It used to be an aerodrome and then it became a movie studio and they shot all the Harry Potters there and now it's WB's official London digs. Ready Player One is in preproduction there right now. But the big Batman on campus is Justice League - it's sprawling over a number of soundstages, filling them with greenscreen and truly massive sets.

I'll be honest: the first half of the set visit didn't light my fire. Our first stop was 'the War Room,' which is a room every production has where the department heads meet and where the walls are covered in concept art. We saw a ton of stuff here, like maybe the whole first half of the movie, so I'm gonna try to just lay it out for you:

There are three Mother Boxes on Earth. One Mother Box is for the Amazonians, and it's burgundy and beautifully ornate and highly detailed. One is for the Atlanteans, and it's white and really organic looking, with scales and tubes and stuff. And one is for humanity, and it's bronze and has big rivets on it and looks like something the Ancient Greeks would make.

We learn about these boxes in a scene called "the History Lesson." That scene, according to the art we saw, will feature an ancient Atlantean king, Hippolyta of Therimysca, some old fashioned humans and the god of all gods, Zeus himself.

The Mother Boxes come from Apokolips. You saw one in BvS - it turned Cyborg into Cyborg in that whole '.wmv Origins of the Justice League' sequence. They're hyper powerful super computers with undefined but vast abilities, including the abilitiy to open up Boom Tubes that can teleport you across the universe. They're the macguffin of this movie. Parademons and their boss, Steppenwolf (oh hey, that's a scoop confirmed) are hunting them down. The JL gotta stop them.

But first you gotta get a JL. The first half of the movie is about Batman recruiting the team (I reported that like two years ago, by the way), and he does it using a couple of cool new vehicles whose concept art we saw. One is the Knight Crawler, an all-terrain vehicle that has four big spider legs instead of wheels. Batman uses it to climb around places, like inside an abandoned tunnel under Stryker's Island, halfway between Gotham and Metropolis. Concept art showed us that in that tunnel he uses a flamethrower on the Knight Crawler to toast some Parademons.

He also has a new jet, a big jet. Really big. It's called the Flying Fox and it's big enough to transport the whole JL and to carry a Batmobile for good measure.

So we saw all that, and it was okay. The concept art is all from December 2015, before the movie was released and everybody was like 'Wait, this isn't what we want,' so it's all crazy dark. Like there's concept art of STAR Labs that is lit like my favorite dive bar. Who does science in a place lit like that?

It was in the War Room that Debbie Snyder started setting the tone of the set visit.

“I think this is a totally different movie than Batman and Superman,” said Debbie (nobody on this set called it Batman v Superman. Batman AND Superman, Batman VERSUS Superman, never Batman v Superman). “I think that Man of Steel and Batman versus Superman were kind of origin stories. You kind of saw them really at points in their life that they were challenged. It was a darker movie. But this is a movie about coming together. It’s a movie about building them up. I think we’re going to see all the heroes in a way that people know them from the comic books.”

2. In Which I Visit The Costume Shop And Am Both Impressed And Reminded This Is Still A Zack Snyder Movie

The next stop was the costume shop, and the first thing we saw there was Aquaman's costume. It's a scale mail outfit, and the pants are made with a special urethane fabric that is really tight and stretchy (for Jason Momoa's butt) but that can have texture printed on it. Aquaman's outfit is.. fine? It's got a gold top and his pants have a greenish tinge if you're looking at it in the right light. Also on display was Mera's outfit, which is more clearly green, and is also a cool scale mail thing, and an Atlantean Guard outfit. They have neat helmets with fins on them - I dug it. Also: Vulko's outfit. That's the guy Willem Dafoe is playing (you'll remember I first reported that Dafoe is playing an Atlantean some weeks back).

Aquaman looked like Zack Snyder's Aquaman, you know? Really desaturated, very badass. So my fire still wasn't lit.

The next stop was Cyborg's costume, which does not exist. Cyborg is all CGI, so Ray Fisher is wearing pajamas on set all day. He has this little light on his face to replicate the glow of his cyborg eye. We did see the designs, though. Cyborg is cool and has lots of spots at his joints where there should be human flesh but instead there's just empty space. It's pretty clear that there isn't much of Vic Stone still in there. He has this red light emanating from his chest, and his arm can turn into a gun. When he goes into full battle mode his whole face gets covered. Also he can grow two extra arms for fist fighting. It's kind of silly, but I'll be honest - I want kind of silly. I perked up at that.

And then The Flash. This costume is red. RED. I don't know how it'll look after post production color correction, but in person the costume is bright and primary. It looks unlike the usual Zack Snyder aesthetic, color-wise. As for the rest of it... well, I'm mixed. The premise here is that Barry Allen has built himself a prototype suit using high tech materials he may or may not have stolen (there's a Waynetech brand on one piece of his outfit). It's the kind of ceramic plating they put on the space shuttle to keep it from burning up on re-entry. The armor plating is kind of piecemeal, because it's super home made. And the helmet is great - it has the aerodynamic shape of a downhill skier's helmet. And he has these cool Flash sneakers with his lightning bolt logo on the sides and also on the sole. Everybody is going to want to buy themselves a pair of red and gold Flash kicks.

But there are also these wires all over the costume, these high-tensile wires. The concept here is that if you've ever seen a comic book illustration of The Flash he is often drawn as having crackling energy all over him. And so costume designer Michael Wilkinson decided to really lean into that and give The Flash all these wires that can conduct the energy as he runs. Here's the thing: I didn't like it up close, but later on I saw Ezra Miller in the costume, standing with the rest of the Justice League and I loved it at a distance. It's a really sleek costume, so his silhouette is unique, and at a distance you can't quite tell how immensely busy it is or how many wires are on it. This may be yet another superhero costume that looks way better in action than it does on a mannequin (so many of them are like that).

The Flash was where I started to perk up. Then I got really interested in Batman's costume: it's the same as the last movie. He gets a second costume later in the film - a tactical costume, with more armor plating (but UNDER the carbon mesh fiber of the suit, so he doesn't look like he's a robot again) and with cool goggles and with a bunch of straps on it - but otherwise it's the same suit. That's really unusual - they tend to heavily redesign these costumes every film in order to sell more toys. Keeping the suit the same is a really interesting choice, and it speaks to how much Snyder nailed Batman on a visual level - don’t mess with aesthetic perfection.

The tactical Batsuit is asymmetrical. The idea is that Bruce has modified it so that it supports his old broken body better. Like there's a bigger pad on one shoulder because he has a bum shoulder. It makes the suit look cool, and not over-designed.

This time Batman's cowl is made of a different, thinner material. It should move even better than in the last film, where it moved as well as any Batcowl ever has. We got to look inside the cowl and see how many little ways they designed it to get heat away from Affleck's head. It was neat.

The final costume was Wonder Woman, and just like Batman it's the exact same costume as last time. And again, that's unusual. Just in case we forgot this was a Zack Snyder movie Wilkinson explained the deep crimson of her breastplate by saying it reflects the "centuries of congealed blood of her victims."

Baby steps. We’re taking baby steps.

3. In Which I See A Scene Being Shot Featuring Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg and Commissioner Gordon Featuring Someone Smiling On Camera

Then we went to lunch. And we were like, is this it? Is it just a regular set visit? Shouldn't they be selling us on the idea that this is a new direction for the DC movieverse? Well, I don't want to leave you in suspense: they did that after lunch.

Spoilers: I had the curried mutton.

We hit some sets - a huge, sprawling tunnel that's under Stryker's Island (where Doomsday landed in BvS) that has been abandoned since the 1920s, and the Batjet hangar, where Bruce works on the Flying Fox, and which is in an old WWII submarine hangar - but I want to jump ahead to where it gets good. I want to jump ahead to what we saw being filmed. To when I realized they were really making something different from the last two films.

Here's your set-up: it's a rainy night atop the Gotham Police Department roof. The Batsignal is lit and Commissioner Gordon is standing there. He is joined by Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and, eventually, Cyborg. They have some exposition, and it is really cool. And there are jokes. Batman makes a joke.

First, Gordon. It was JK Simmons' first day on set, and maybe you thought he would be doing some kind of ripped grandpa version of Gordon based on that pic of him working out that was going around online last week, but he isn't. He's absolutely classic Gordon: brimmed hat, head of grey hair, big brushy mustache, trench coat. I was blown away. It's a perfect Gordon. And Simmons plays him with a kind of weariness.

The scene itself was largely exposition. Batman, The Flash and Wonder Woman show up (as the scene starts Batman comes up from a crouch, so I’m thinking he may swing in and leap into frame?) and Gordon asks how many of them there are. “Not enough,” Batman says. Gordon tells them that there was an abduction last night, and it was seen by a dozen witnesses. It was the same creature that abducted someone in Metropolis - a Parademon.

“The bad guy’s flying monkeys,” Batman says. Batman makes a joke! And it’s a real Batman type of line, one that would work in the comics! “Sardonic” is the word Affleck uses later to describe Batman’s sense of humor. I got very excited.

Batman says that it is scientists being abducted - eight of them so far. “Nine!” says Cyborg, as he strides out from the shadows and joins the group. “The head of STAR Labs was taken last night.”

Fisher’s costume is pajamas, with all the cyborg stuff to be added, but you could see that he was walking in an exaggerated swagger, throwing his shoulders forward with each step. He was getting the particular gait of Cyborg.

All of this is great, but get this: as Cyborg walks up to the group Wonder Woman looks at him and gently smiles. A smile! In a Zack Snyder superhero movie! I was over the moon. This is what I want from a movie like this - people who are at least happy to see one another.

We worked out a theory as to the whole smile thing - the team had tried to recruit Cyborg earlier but he wasn’t interested. Now, with his dad abducted (that has to be who he’s talking about), Cyborg is all in and Wonder Woman is happy he has joined.

The team talks among themselves for a moment, which in and of itself is a miracle in a Zack Snyder superhero movie. They’re all in costume and they’re talking to each other. For reference, here’s Zack in an Empire Magazine interview explaining why he doesn’t like characters in costume conversing:

"I kinda came to the conclusion also that they couldn't really talk in their suits, um, with any credibility..."

"... more than 4 or 5 lines and you start to notice, like wait, these are two guys ... one guys dressed up like a bat and the other has a big red 'S' on his chest, and they're being super serious about how mad they are at each other..."

But it gets better - the members of the League aren’t just talking in their suits, they’re having a super serious conversation about demons! And about where the Parademon nest is! They look at a map of the abductions and realize they are all clustered around one place - Stryker’s Island. Hey, isn’t there an abandoned tunnel set that we just toured a minute ago? I think so!

Batman rounds up the team and they head out. But with Cyborg the dynamics will be different.

“Now that he’s here we can’t all fit in the car!” says The Flash.

“I have something bigger,” Batman replies, which is like perfect.

Gordon turns away. He knows what’s up. Batman’s gonna disappear. He starts giving a speech to the city below him (it’s actually a huge green screen). He turns around, expecting to be alone… but The Flash is still there! Gordon is startled!

“You’re still here!” he says.

“Yeah, hey they all left,” says The Flash. “That’s rude.”

(By the way, I got to see Batman sneaking away from Commissioner Gordon. That was pretty cool).

Watching this scene be shot - I saw about five takes, two different set-ups (one was a close-up on Wonder Woman as she smiles at Cyborg) - I couldn’t help but geek out. Yes, I hated BvS, but here was Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and Gordon in perfect costume (and also Cyborg in his jammies) standing next to the Batsignal talking about Parademons. This is the sort of shit a comic book nerd lives for.

But more than that, as a hater this scene really went a long way to convincing me that Snyder and company truly understand how they fucked up BvS. They’re not just paying lip service. They really get it.

While we watched the scene be shot the actors came by to say hi. It was mostly quick stuff - Ray Fisher hung out for a second and then Ezra Miller showed up to hassle him (they were really fun together, and their chemistry is supposed to be part of what makes Justice League lighter than BvS. I could see it). Gal Gadot, stunning in full costume, told us how fun the movie is doing a team movie: “I think we found a very interesting dynamic. It’s fun, it’s funny. It’s different, each and every character brings their own flavor and color to the team.”

And then Affleck came by. In costume. Except for the cowl, which left his smeared mascara visible.

“Christian was smarter than me,” he said. “He never let anyone see him with the make-up on his face.”

I’m gonna pull the whole Affleck interview and run it separately because I like getting pageviews but also because every word of it is good and worth reading and this is already long enough, but there was something he said that I want to focus on. It gets to the point of the set visit. I asked Affleck how they follow up BvS, which was adapting The Dark Knight Returns, a story where Batman quits being Batman at the end. It was a story about the end of Batman, and that was where they started him!

“You can’t go past the end,” Affleck agreed. “This is now not a guy at the end of his rope but kind of a guy at the beginning. Starting over, reborn and believing. Finding hope. And he really believes in this idea of forming this group. Obviously that’s something different because that’s a guy who’s not nihilistic, he hasn’t given up. He deeply believes that this is something that needs to happen and he’s in the awkward position of being kind of out there with a cup in his hand like, you know, ‘Believe in this, this is a good idea.’

“The interesting thing about this Batman is that on the one hand, he’s sort of the ultimate loner, but on the other hand, he’s sort of tasked with putting together a group. So is the guy who basically broods in a cave all day really the best person to put together a team of superheroes? And he doesn’t have huge success initially. He rubs some people the wrong way or they rub him the wrong way, he’s got to figure out how to play well with others. He barely knows how to play well with Alfred.”

There’s more (click here to read it all) but Affleck wanted to make sure that while we understood this Batman has more humor (“That sort of Bruce Wayne, wry, ironic gallows humor comes out. He’s not like a ‘haha’ jokey, but that sort of stuff comes out a little bit. A bit of, his sort of darker humor stuff is present.”) and while this movie is lighter, DC movies need to have a different tone than Marvel movies:

“DC movies, their nature are a little more mythic than some comic book movies are. But BvS was very dark and heavy because it was really rooted in Dark Knight Returns which is a heavy, dark book. And this is not that. This is a step in evolution in that to bring together all of these characters who have had their origins. It’s about multilateralism, and it’s about hope and about working together and the kind of conflicts of trying to work together with others. It’s a world where superheroes exist, so there’s comedy in that necessarily, trying to work with other people and people trying to accomplish goals together is the root of all great comedy in my view. So there’s definitely, hopefully some fun in it. But it’s not unrecognizably these characters or these stories. It’s not turning it upside down.”

Isn’t it?

4. In Which Debbie Snyder Really Says All The Right Things

Let’s move back in time. Before we saw the filming we hung out on the Batjet Hangar set, and we took pictures with the Batmobile. While we were doing that I started talking to Debbie Snyder, hoping to get some more info out of her about just how this movie was different from the last film. And I’ll tell you, she had all the right answers.

These are the questions I asked her.

Q: When you’re making a whole universe worth of superhero movies there’s a vision you have to have, you have to know where you’re going. But at the same time, you have to kind of know what the audience is going to want. So how do you sort of pivot from all the reactions to BvS to sort of institute that going forward?

A: Listen, I think every film is a learning experience. Right? And we hear what everyone has to say because we care what the fans say, at the same time, every story that we’re telling is a completely different story, and I think what’s really great is that where we were going is kind of what the audience is wanting. We just had to take the characters from somewhere to bring them up to where they are and that was kind of our journey.

Q: If each film is a learning experience, what do you think is the main thing you learned from BvS you used here?

A: I think the main thing we learned is that people don’t like to see their heroes deconstructed. I think that’s hard because it’s people we’ve grown up with and that we care about. They like seeing them in all their glory.

Q: So who do you guys see as the target audience for these films because one of the things I think was interesting with BvS was seeing a lot of parents discovering that in the case of their younger kids, it was a little darker than they were ready for. That maybe 8-year-olds, 9-year-olds maybe weren’t the target audience for a Superman movie, which they weren’t expecting. So is Justice League more inclusive for that crowd?

A: Justice League is much more inclusive. I think also it’s all about the characters too. And we have these two very young characters, Flash and Cyborg. And you know, they’re definitely lighter. I think they’re going to appeal to a younger audience.

I think the darkest where we’ll be is where we’ve been.

I’m probably going to quote that last sentence again at the very finale of this piece.

5. In Which I See A Cut Together Scene From Justice League That Is Funny, Well Lit And Full of Heart

Our final stop on the set visit was back at the War Room. There was now a bar there, and I had a couple of Dark and Stormies (dark rum and ginger beer) while waiting for Zack to wrap for the day on set and come see us. The War Room now had TVs in it, so it was clear that we were going to see some footage. And boy did we ever.

The scene we were shown was where Bruce Wayne recruits Barry Allen, and more than anything else that day this was the scene that convinced me that Justice League could be truly different from either of the previous DC movies.

In the clip Barry returns to his apartment, which is like a big warehouse space. There’s grafitti on the walls and a dozen TVs. He turns on a sparking fuse box to bring light to the place and the TVs jump to life. He walks into the main room and sees Bruce Wayne sitting in a chair.

“Barry Allen, I’m Bruce Wayne.”

“You say that like it explains why you’re sitting in my place in the dark in my second favorite chair,” says Barry.

Bruce, dressed impeccably, gets up and approaches the younger man. He holds out a printout of a screenshot of that Flash mpeg from BvS. He asks is Barry knows who that is.

“That’s someone who looks exactly like me but isn’t me,” Barry says. “He looks like a very attractive Jewish boy. He drinks milk, though, I don’t drink milk.”

Bruce tells Barry he thinks he has special skills.

“Sure,” Barry says. “I can code. I know sign language. Gorilla sign language.”

Bruce looks at the Flash costume that is mounted right in the middle of the room. “And this?”

“I’m into competitive ice dancing,” Barry says.

Bruce notes that the costume includes ceramic plates, the kind they use to keep the space shuttle from burning up on reentry.

“Very competitive ice dancing,” Barry says.

Then Bruce spins around and throws a batarang. Everything goes into slomo except for Barry, who quite casually steps out of the way of the oncoming blade. He slowly looks at Bruce, at the batarang, and plucks it out of the air. Everything returns to normal speed.

“You’re the Batman!” Barry says. “Can I keep this?”

“You’re fast,” Bruce replies.

“I think that’s underselling it,” Barry says.

“I’m gathering people with special abilities. There’s a great enemy coming -”

“I’m in!” blurts Barry.

Bruce is taken aback. So quickly?

“I need friends,” Barry says.

And scene.

That scene couldn’t have happened in Man of Steel. It couldn’t have happened in BvS for sure. It was funny, and Affleck and Miller had good chemistry. But more than that it was written from a place where these characters were being treated affectionately. It wasn’t a deconstruction or a teardown or a real world version of these characters. It was full of love, and it was full of humanity.

Maybe there are no other scenes like this one in Justice League, but this one scene will make the movie infinitely better and more enjoyable than BvS.

6. In Which Zack Snyder Finally Has His Say, And What He Says About The BvS Backlash Is “Woof”

We thought we would talk to Zack earlier in the day, but we didn’t get a chance until it was all winding down, and he stood with a mojito in his hand amid a huge cluster of journalists with their recorders out.

He talked about the scene we had just watched.

“When I saw the scene -- we just cut it together the other day -- I was like, ‘Oh God, this is fun.’ “ And he was right. Not in the Jimmy Olsen getting shot in the head way, either. It was really fun.

“This is an interesting way of understanding how the movies have gone in a progression,” he said, continuing a thought Debbie had given us earlier, that the intention had always been to make BvS the dark middle chapter of a trilogy that would end on the hopeful note of Justice League (your mileage may vary when believing that it was all planned). “So it's fun for me to finally get to this point now in the progression of these three movies where we are building a team and making the Justice League, if you will.”

Zack said that tone was important to him, and that he was very aware of the tone of this movie. “Tone has always been the main thing that I go after with a movie, and I really wanted the tone of the three movies to be different chapters and not be the same note that you strike like, ‘Okay, there's this again.’ I really wanted that, and I do believe that since Batman Superman came out and we've wrapped our heads around what Justice League would be, I do think that the tone has, because of what fans have said and how the movie was received by some, is that we have kind of put the screws to what we thought the tone would be and I feel pushed it that little bit further.”

Zack thinks out loud; I’ve interviewed him a lot and he definitely tends to chase his own thoughts down different alleyways, but what I got from that is the idea that he’s heard what fans said about BvS’ tone and that he’s adjusting on Justice League.

What’s interesting is that he was surprised by the reactions fans had (as I had previously reported to you). He spoke about that a bit as well:

“You know, when Batman Superman first came out, I was like, 'Wow, okay, woof.' It did catch me off-guard. I kind of felt like - and I have had to, in my mind, make an adjustment, and maybe it is my hardcore take on characters as far as I love 'em, and I love the material. I do, I take it really deep. So I think the nice thing about working on Justice League is that it is an opportunity to really blow the doors off of the scale and the bad guys and team-building and all the stuff that I think I could justify as a big, modern comic book movie, if that makes any sense.”

7. In Which We Wrap It All Up And I Give You My Hater’s Eye View of Justice League As It Stands At The End Of Its First Month Of Shooting

I flew out to London for one reason: I wanted to be convinced that Justice League wasn’t going to be a write off. I wanted to be convinced that even though the movie was in pre-production before BvS came out that the people behind the scenes were leaning hard on the steering wheel and trying like crazy to course correct.

I came away believing that.

What I saw on set was a movie that definitely has plenty of Zack Snyder flourishes - the GPD roof has bas relief figures that are all grinning death’s heads - but that is coming from a place of love for the characters. I did not feel that in BvS. Justice League, from what I saw, is being created with the idea of fun in mind. That doesn’t mean endless laugh lines or pop culture references or characters being silly, but something as simple as the characters liking each other, looking at each other fondly, caring what happens to each other.

I do not believe this was always the plan. That was sort of the narrative on set, that this was always going to be the triumphant return to the light for the DC movieverse. I think that the plan was closer to Injustice: Gods Among Us, as hinted at by the Knightmare in BvS - a story where an evil Superman has to be stopped by the assembled League. After this set visit I do not believe that future is in the cards for the DC movieverse anymore (or if it is it’s like three more JL movies down the road). You know how Barry traveled back in time to warn Batman about the future? BvS did that to us, and I think the future is changing for the better.

Ben Affleck had already convinced me he was a great Batman, but now he convinced me that his Batman would be great as well, a character more in line with the classic non-deconstructionist takes. This Batman can have a family, Affleck hinted. Batman is best when he has a family.

Ezra Miller is going to steal this movie. If Cyborg and Flash have the same rapport that Miller and Fisher have they’re going to be fandom’s new favorite team. You know how Tumblr reacts to Marvel characters who have great chemistry? Get ready to finally see that coming from a DC movie.

The big question, the one I can’t answer is: will it be good? The plot - the Justice League must come together and hunt down Mother Boxes before Steppenwolf and the Parademons can get them - seems fine. The tone seems to be on the right track. The new vehicles are not just cool, they’re deeply fun. But what will the execution be like? Will Snyder pull it off? Is the daily work they’re doing to steer this ship away from the dark iceberg saving it or is the ship going to be swamped?

Here’s something to keep in mind: this trilogy of Snyder’s might end up being the most reactionary franchise in film history. Nobody expected the audience to freak out about the destruction at the end of Man of Steel, and as a result BvS became a movie about mistrusting superheroes. But nobody expected the audience to freak out about the tone of that movie, and so there’s another course correction. That course correction feels like it’s bringing JL to the right place, but at what cost? Changing up a big movie like this in such a fundamental way isn’t easy.

I did walk away from the set hopeful (well, I geeked out about interviewing Batman a bit but then I settled into just hopeful). BvS presented a DC universe that was so dark, so ugly, so unpleasant, so resistant to fun or whimsy or happiness that it seemed like the Earth 3 (home to the Crime Syndicate, the evil Justice League (aka the Justice Lords for those of you who only know this stuff from cartoons)) to the lighter Earth 1 DC universe that was on TV. That’s no longer the case. This world may still be darker than the CWverse, but there’s humanity in the heroes - and heroism in them as well - that was missing from BvS.

So I’m cautiously optimistic. The task ahead of Snyder and crew is a huge one, and the stakes are very high for Warner Bros and DC Films. But even if they started making these adjustments very late, the fact that they’re making them at all is good. Yes, I’m a hater of BvS. I hate hate hate that movie. But I’m not, despite the popular Reddit opinion, a hater of DC. It’s my love of DC and Superman that made me hate BvS so much. These are great, iconic characters with rich (if occasionally confusing) histories, and what makes them special isn’t that they’re dark or angry or brutal. It’s that they’re towering figures, at once like us and better than us, doing the right thing because they can’t imagine being any other way.

I didn’t see that reflected in BvS. At all. But after spending a day on the set of Justice League, this hater thinks that this time they could be getting it right. I may be skeptical about some of the things I was told on this set visit, but there’s one thing Debbie Snyder said that I am taking very seriously:

I think the darkest where we’ll be is where we’ve been.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*takes a seat, grabs popcorn, and waits for the shitshow*
Jun 21st 2016
LOL. I mean im up for the tone shift...but that wasn't the problem
Jun 21st 2016
I kinda hated the article itself
Jun 21st 2016
Eh, he's kind of earned it.
Jun 21st 2016
Are they still doing standalone movies?
Jun 21st 2016
Yes.
Jun 23rd 2016
i have no faith that DC will ever do a run of movies well
Jun 21st 2016
In their defense they had arguably one of the best runs with Nolan
Jun 23rd 2016
All y'all saying 'tone' wasn't the problem, and I agree but...
Jun 23rd 2016
this whole "universe" is just so f'd dude.
Jun 23rd 2016
I'm torn, because a Lustice League movie with no Superman seems
Jun 23rd 2016
I wonder why Faraci doesn't run his tongue in real life as much as he
Jun 24th 2016
Because he's Knowles 2.0
Jun 26th 2016
First footage
Jul 23rd 2016
That looked really good, much better than BvS
Jul 23rd 2016
folks need to get off Marvel's d!ck
Jul 23rd 2016
      The comparison is fair, but DC did it to themselves man
Jul 23rd 2016
      There's a far simpler and more relevant reason for the comparison
Jul 24th 2016
      Did I not just say that the trailer looked good?
Jul 24th 2016
      Lol It's reflexive. He just assumed people were attacking the trailer
Jul 24th 2016
      Why you gotta make comparisons to marvel?
Jul 24th 2016
      ^Snyder's Intern^
Jul 24th 2016
Snyder trailers always look good...i'm not getting my hopes up yet
Jul 26th 2016
i'm happy it still looks like a zack snyder film
Jul 24th 2016
That SDCC teaser trailer looked pretty damn good.
Jul 25th 2016
Superman returns...
Aug 17th 2016
JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Trailer 1
Mar 25th 2017
It's lit
Mar 25th 2017
ALL OF THE CGI AND SEPIA TONES
Mar 26th 2017
yep, i'm there opening weekend. i'll have a blast.
Mar 26th 2017
These guys say it best
Mar 27th 2017
      Some more to add to their points
Mar 27th 2017
      this is EXACTLY right
Mar 27th 2017
      yes
May 01st 2017
Oh noes! It's not all bright and shiny! Not enough jokey jokes!
Mar 26th 2017
:)
Mar 26th 2017
The tone of the DC movies is alright I guess
Mar 26th 2017
Honestly my biggest gripe is the way they’ve used pop music
Mar 27th 2017
Dark is good. Competent is better
Mar 27th 2017
That's my point though- the tone and color isn't the issue.
Mar 27th 2017
      People got mad at the tone cause it wasn't archetype Marvel but...
Mar 27th 2017
Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I feel like the, 'Everything should b...
Mar 27th 2017
      The lack of solo movies is also not a big deal
Mar 27th 2017
Diane Lane says JL won't be as good as the Avengers
May 11th 2017
Wow, that's brutal.
May 11th 2017
WOW.
May 11th 2017
She could just be throwing cold water on people's expectations
May 12th 2017
She says that she meant she wouldn't comment on it.
May 12th 2017
Kevin Costner says JL will take a dump truck shit on The Avengers
May 12th 2017
Diane meant "sorry to disappoint" in reference to revealing anything...
May 12th 2017
Damn, condolences to Snyder. Whedon finishing Justice League
May 22nd 2017
that's beyond horrible.
May 22nd 2017
Credit to Hollywood for not breaking this immediately
May 22nd 2017
      Yup. Plus that timing on the Dawn of Justice release
May 23rd 2017
Damn. This is sad as fuck b.
May 22nd 2017
I am glad he is stepping away to be with his family and to deal
May 22nd 2017
Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek
Jul 22nd 2017
RE: Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek
Jul 22nd 2017
Green Lantern.
Jul 22nd 2017
J'onn J'onzz the Martian Hunter
Jul 22nd 2017
Hellyeah.....
Jul 23rd 2017
LOL!
Jul 24th 2017
Apache Chief
Jul 24th 2017
Captain Boomerang
Jul 24th 2017
Jesus or Iron Man.
Jul 25th 2017
Even worse than I imagined
Jul 23rd 2017
WACK
Jul 23rd 2017
Shit looks more promising than expected
Jul 23rd 2017
yeah i mustve seen a diff trailer than the rest of yall cause it looks l...
Jul 24th 2017
      this looks like the kind of trailer they show
Jul 24th 2017
           We can't compete with you my guy
Jul 24th 2017
the CG in Moana looked better. Damn
Jul 23rd 2017
It should be better than BvS
Jul 24th 2017
they're slowing fixing cyborg's look. thank god, he looked like crap
Jul 24th 2017
remember Super Friends?
Jul 25th 2017
Yo! What the fuck is going on with this movie?
Aug 14th 2017
Casey Affleck says Ben is out (link)
Aug 16th 2017
lol. Yeah, not sure why they even flirting with this as an idea
Aug 16th 2017
      Im guessing Ben wants out
Aug 16th 2017
           it just sounds like he's not doing *a* specific Batman movie
Aug 16th 2017
                Just get Jeffery Dean Morgan on the phone, I guess.
Aug 17th 2017
Ben still in as Bats (swipe)
Aug 20th 2017
JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Heroes Trailer
Oct 08th 2017
and i thought it couldn't get worse
Oct 09th 2017
lmao, why do they add the corniest lines to the trailer?
Oct 09th 2017
Looks like a bunch of actors running around a blown up Transformer
Oct 09th 2017
Once again these guys hit the hammer on the head
Oct 10th 2017
Need to get back to the DT guys. They usually are on point
Oct 11th 2017
      Usually. Sometimes they're way off base. NM
Oct 11th 2017
I can't believe how bad this still looks
Oct 10th 2017
i believe they filmed the whole movie in a big green room.
Oct 11th 2017
      ^^And then color corrected grimy green
Oct 11th 2017
Runtime is 2 hours
Oct 23rd 2017
RE: Runtime is 2 hours
Oct 23rd 2017
Seeing this shit on Monday.
Nov 08th 2017
I'm sure you'll love it!
Nov 09th 2017
Can't wait for your thoughts on it
Nov 10th 2017
      Social media embargo for critics has already been lifted.
Nov 10th 2017

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 10:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "*takes a seat, grabs popcorn, and waits for the shitshow*"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 02:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "LOL. I mean im up for the tone shift...but that wasn't the problem"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-23-16 08:34 AM by BigReg

If the tone shift helps them find their voice and clearer direct storytelling, awesome. Although him putting it in the audience's corner with the 'they don't like their heros de-constructed' means he doesn't understand what went wrong with the first movie...

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 03:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I kinda hated the article itself"
In response to Reply # 0

I understand that Faraci feels like he can strut, but too much of it was self-congratulatory, "See? I was right!" shite.

And I indeed cringed at the "People don't want to see their heroes deconstructed" line and the overall "The problem with the B V. S was the TONE" reductionist logic. Either they're not getting it, and chose the easiest company line to tow.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86641 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 03:41 PM

4. "Eh, he's kind of earned it."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Jun-21-16 03:42 PM by Frank Longo

>I understand that Faraci feels like he can strut, but too
>much of it was self-congratulatory, "See? I was right!" shite.

He's been getting beyond roasted on Twitter and Reddit every single time he posts anything about DC-- "you're wrong! This is propaganda! etc." Basically every BvS fan painting him as some shill in Disney's pockets, claiming every news item he breaks is inaccurate, etc. He's an asshole, but know-nothings constantly flooding his social media accusing him of just making shit up are way worse imo. As a result, I didn't mind the gloating-- that Batmobile photo is probably as good as film nerd blogger trolling gets.

>And I indeed cringed at the "People don't want to see their
>heroes deconstructed" line and the overall "The problem with
>the B V. S was the TONE" reductionist logic. Either they're
>not getting it, and chose the easiest company line to tow.

Yeah, they don't get it. The Flash/Cyborg/Gordon stuff does sound good... but crafting decent individual scenes or characters has never been Snyder's problem.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 04:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Are they still doing standalone movies? "
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

bwood
8597 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 08:48 AM

8. "Yes."
In response to Reply # 5

justin_scott
Charter member
19861 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 05:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "i have no faith that DC will ever do a run of movies well"
In response to Reply # 0

a good one here and there. a classic once in a blue moon, but mostly just meh.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 08:37 AM

7. "In their defense they had arguably one of the best runs with Nolan"
In response to Reply # 6

The problem is that as opposed to having a unique vision, they are just trying to crib from Marvel but 'darker'.

And as far as long term slow building vision, they are going full online class cram course with it.

I CAN see them doing some great movies but honestly it would be their B team stuff that's not related to the main franchise (like how Suicide Squad is apparently shaping to be)

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 01:57 PM

9. "All y'all saying 'tone' wasn't the problem, and I agree but..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-23-16 01:58 PM by Monkey Genius

... most people don't.

'Tone' was the loudest, most consistent, most annoying complaint almost everyone had about the movie. So that's gonna be the message they take away from the failure. Not how sloppily told their story was.

Although them releasing the 'Ultimate Cut' (which apparently makes much more sense) suggests they know that they fucked up the storytelling too.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 03:50 PM

10. "this whole "universe" is just so f'd dude. "
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jun-23-16 04:25 PM

11. "I'm torn, because a Lustice League movie with no Superman seems"
In response to Reply # 0

wrong.

But I also don't really want to see Snyder's take on Superman anymore.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6506 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 03:08 PM

12. "I wonder why Faraci doesn't run his tongue in real life as much as he "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-24-16 03:09 PM by Hellyeah

does online.

He seemed real soft here.

Anyway these scenes w/Flash seem fun. Hopefully they will meet the sophisticated taste of the american audience.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Because he's Knowles 2.0"
In response to Reply # 12

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

bwood
8597 posts
Sat Jul-23-16 02:45 PM

14. "First footage"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/gglkYMGRYlE

All in

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13927 posts
Sat Jul-23-16 05:02 PM

15. "That looked really good, much better than BvS"
In response to Reply # 14

I actually have hope that this could be good.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4865 posts
Sat Jul-23-16 10:38 PM

16. "folks need to get off Marvel's d!ck"
In response to Reply # 15

that footage was just fine.

Several Marvel movies been a$$...foh

Tiger Woods
18362 posts
Sat Jul-23-16 10:50 PM

17. "The comparison is fair, but DC did it to themselves man"
In response to Reply # 16

Sure Marvel has made a few duds. But they've made Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, Guardians, Winter Soldier, and Civil War too. Indisputably I think many would agree that's about half of the top ten best superhero movies to date. It just is.

DC hasn't made as many movies, much less as many good ones. It's their own fault that they get compared to Marvel because a) the output isn't there and is way behind and b) what little output there's been has been mediocre at best.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Sun Jul-24-16 03:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "There's a far simpler and more relevant reason for the comparison"
In response to Reply # 17

Which is the fact that they're direct competitors in the same field, same as any other set of direct competitors. Wal-Mart and Target. Pepsi and Coke. McDonald's and Burger King.

The comparison would be made regardless of the quantity or quality of their respective output because they make competing versions of what amounts to the same basic product.

calij81
13927 posts
Sun Jul-24-16 12:46 AM

18. "Did I not just say that the trailer looked good? "

I finally watched BvS last night after not seeing it in the theaters. I really liked the last Man of Steal and I had high hopes for BvS. All the trailers for BvS looked great and I went out and bought the directors 3 hour cut. While BvS has some good moments it wasn't nearly as good as Man of Steal.

Wonder Woman was good and Affleck is fine as Batman. Beyond that it was rough. I didn't care for Lex or his whole reason for wanting Superman and Batman fight, how Superman and Batman were both able to be so easily manipulated. Why was Batman so ruthless?

They should have had a Batman movie before this, they didn't need a whole new origin story but it would have been great to have a Batman movie where it shows Joker killing Batwing/Robin which leads to Batman becoming a bit more ruthless and distrustful.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sun Jul-24-16 04:30 AM

21. "Lol It's reflexive. He just assumed people were attacking the trailer"
In response to Reply # 18

He posted the exact same dumbass response in the GD post.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sun Jul-24-16 03:17 AM

19. "Why you gotta make comparisons to marvel?"

Let it marinate.

Lol

Of course that footage was just fine.

That's why, you know, the guy you responded to posted a positive reaction.

Because it was just fine.

But seriously you need to let it marinate before you mention the name of some other product.

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14580 posts
Sun Jul-24-16 09:52 AM

22. "^Snyder's Intern^"

You'll be ok man, nobody said anything negative about that footage.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Jul-26-16 06:00 PM

25. "Snyder trailers always look good...i'm not getting my hopes up yet"
In response to Reply # 14

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Hellyeah
6506 posts
Sun Jul-24-16 12:07 PM

23. "i'm happy it still looks like a zack snyder film"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm totally fine with a little more humor...but i'll be damned if i want every single CBM to look/feel the same

and the batsmirk is already legendary

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Jul-25-16 08:14 AM

24. "That SDCC teaser trailer looked pretty damn good."
In response to Reply # 0

I was surprised it was as cool as it was.

Injected fun while maintaining the dark and brooding feel these DCeU films have had overall.

And real looks at Flash and Cyborg finally looked pretty good.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

bwood
8597 posts
Wed Aug-17-16 04:03 PM

26. "Superman returns..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJOS75pAqhX/

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Sat Mar-25-17 10:41 AM

27. "JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Trailer 1"
In response to Reply # 0

JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Trailer 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Sat Mar-25-17 12:14 PM

28. "It's lit"
In response to Reply # 27

<--- Big Baller World Order

Tiger Woods
18362 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 09:16 AM

29. "ALL OF THE CGI AND SEPIA TONES"

I don't get it

Hellyeah
6506 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 11:44 AM

31. "yep, i'm there opening weekend. i'll have a blast."

bwood
8597 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 10:26 AM

38. "These guys say it best"

From the 13:17 mark on they hit on everything I feel:

https://youtu.be/S0APphtK4ck

bwood
8597 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 01:40 PM

40. "Some more to add to their points"
In response to Reply # 38

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/27/justice-league-trailer-disappointed-by-being-exactly-what-we-expected

The JUSTICE LEAGUE Trailer Disappointed by Being Exactly What We Expected

The DCEU has a Zack Snyder problem.

By Dave Schilling Mar. 27, 2017

The great thing about the DC Comics film series is that it remains steadfast in its general disinterest in your opinion. Whatever the precious film critic might say about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or Suicide Squad — like, just as an example, they’re incoherent ink blots masquerading as motion pictures — the creative teams trudge on, ever the professionals.

Make a film, they were told. Do it before Thanksgiving of 2017 or else lots of people will lose their jobs, was the mandate, and so the wheel turns. The Justice League trailer was released this past weekend, and despite the howls of displeasure from a growing segment of fandom, it looks like the sequel to BvS that it was originally conceived to be, rather than the sly reboot the disgruntled hoped it would be.

Where did this irrational optimism come from? Zack Snyder is still directing this movie, like he was always supposed to. Someone of that ilk has very specific tastes, and no matter how much nudging comes from studio execs to have more wise-cracking or to consider a color palette that has greater variety than 100 shades of gun metal, the truth of the man will out.

It cannot be overstated that franchises such as the DC cinematic universe are less films than corporate mandates. Profit margins need to be met. Shareholders must be satisfied. Some form of pre-production has been taking place on this film since Man of Steel was released and the first logo for BvS was unveiled at Comic-Con. To turn this movie into a candy-coated chucklefest now would cost so much money, Bruce Wayne himself would throw up all over his Armani suit. Even if money was no object and the studio could shut the entire enterprise down for a retooling, there’s no guarantee of success.

The thing about world-building is that once the world is built, you have to live in it. The only other option is to tear it all down and start over. Yes, I realize that incremental change is also a part of life, that small things can be done to improve the overall situation, and that there’s nothing pragmatic or realistic about a creative person hitting the self-destruct button any time they make a mistake. But, with a multi-film saga such as this one, every small decision is made with the larger vision in mind. Ezra Miller is cast as the Flash to play that character in a particular type of movie. Same with Jason Momoa or Gal Gadot. The costumes, the production design, the music — it’s all tied together to make a coherent whole. You fiddle with one bit, the rest might collapse on top of you, like a massively expensive Jenga puzzle.

For better or worse, the DC movieverse is Zack Snyder’s baby. It has his stylistic fingerprints smudged all over it. Maybe I’m too old or my brain is hard-wired to only understand long, ponderous tracking shots, but I couldn’t understand half of what was going on in that trailer. I get some things, because I’m a nerd: that there’s a Mother Box, that Steppenwolf is the villain, that the Flash visits his dad in prison, that Mera is in the movie, etc. If I were a normal person, I’d think Batman, Wonder Woman, Fish Guy, Flash Man, and the dude in the tin foil bodysuit were fighting space bugs that exploded out of a glowing UPS package. This feeling of incoherence, of perpetual motion, and sensory overload trumping logic and sustained human emotion are all Zack Snyder hallmarks. Even if it the movie was directed by David Ayer and not Snyder, that tone carried over to Suicide Squad, too.

This could all be blamed on the presumed corporate group-think mentality that turned Ayer’s film from a gritty, Dirty Dozen-style men-and-women-on-a-mission story into a prolonged music video, but this would presume that the director has been fully relegated to mere automaton at DC/WB. There are hundreds of decisions a film director has to make every day, and most of them occur without a studio executive drooling all over them and whispering “action figures” in their ear every ten minutes. If directors were just puppets, WB would have hired an experienced TV guy to run The Flash and called it a day. Studios need visionaries. They need men and women who see what the movie can and should be. To get a job, a director has to sell multiple people on that concept, sometimes with nothing more than a few good words and a storyboard.

Zack Snyder has been that visionary for DC. Now that it seems his run will come to a close with Justice League, we see the studio scrambling for someone to fill that void. Ben Affleck either couldn’t or wouldn’t commit to that responsibility. No one appears to want to direct The Flash. DC simply doesn’t have a Kevin Feige type to move the chess pieces. If that was a feasible option, from a corporate standpoint, they would have done it by now, but maybe DC can take one cue from Marvel — empowering the directors you’d least expect. Who could have foreseen the Russo brothers — best known pre-Marvel as sitcom directors — taking the helm of the biggest superhero movie of all time, Avengers: Infinity War? It might be time to stop looking for a savior from outside and consider that maybe someone like Patty Jenkins — director of the upcoming Wonder Woman, which made a great first impression with its trailer — could be the answer. Whomever they pick, the small changes likely won’t be enough. For the DC universe to really work, someone will need to reimagine this world from top to bottom. Simply put, this is Zack Snyder’s world until it isn’t.

Dave Schilling is a writer-at-large at The Bleacher Report. He's previously written for The Guardian, Grantland and Vice.

Tiger Woods
18362 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 03:47 PM

41. "this is EXACTLY right"

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon May-01-17 12:05 AM

43. "yes"

>From the 13:17 mark on they hit on everything I feel:
>
>https://youtu.be/S0APphtK4ck

the points they brought up are exactly it.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 10:59 AM

30. "Oh noes! It's not all bright and shiny! Not enough jokey jokes!"
In response to Reply # 0

Pass. This doesn't satisfy my need for every superhero movie ever to be a knee slapping comedy bombarding me with primary colors.

Plus I fear clouds and rainy days so this won't work.

Hellyeah
6506 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 11:48 AM

32. ":)"
In response to Reply # 30

it looks like theres a bit more of levity this time around.

Still it won't bring the laughz as the other 3 comicbook sit coms coming out this year.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Sun Mar-26-17 08:40 PM

33. "The tone of the DC movies is alright I guess"

Making a dramatically-tense movie is one thing. In a way, there's a potentially higher ceiling on the enjoyment of the films because the story arcs can have more room to navigate through. The stories can deal with serious themes like death and betrayal and grief in an authentic way which would make them truly epic.

But the DC movies seem deep in a way that appeals to 12 year old boys and not in a way that is true to the internal battles that humans in the situations the story lays out.

There's a way to make a movie with imagery that is meant for kids and young people hat is objectively a good story and contains characters with personalities which are charming and stakes that are compelling. But judging by the trailer, it's unclear if Justice League can be a solid movie.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 09:50 AM

35. "Honestly my biggest gripe is the way they’ve used pop music"
In response to Reply # 33

That was one of the major drags on Suicide Squad for me, which is saying something considering how many problems it had. They just hit you over the head with “fun” songs in a way that comes across as very forced and, ultimately, generic. It was also very distracting.

This doesn’t look to be much different overall, though in JL the “fun” choices have been replaced with bombastic choices. I don’t know how well they’ll integrate these songs into the film but I have a sneaking suspicion they’re using that to liven things up in response to criticism of the dour nature of previous entries.

The only reason I crack on folks who are so turned off by the tone and “color” of this is that neither really matters. If the movie sucks it won’t be because of the tone or color choices, but the writing. If the characters are little more than archetypes with a convoluted plot, the tone won’t matter.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 07:30 AM

34. "Dark is good. Competent is better"

Nolan's Bat's trilogy is dark as shit; hopefully they can go back to that quality of filmmaking...I don't care about the tone, lol.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 09:56 AM

36. "That's my point though- the tone and color isn't the issue."
In response to Reply # 34

I genuinely love MOS to this day and genuinely enjoyed DOJ despite its many glaring flaws. I just don’t see “darkness” as a problem in these films. I’m not crazy about Zach’s visuals as the vehicle for these but the writing has been the major issue with these and if this one doesn’t deliver, writing will be the problem here too.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 04:45 PM

42. "People got mad at the tone cause it wasn't archetype Marvel but..."
In response to Reply # 36
Mon Mar-27-17 04:50 PM by BigReg

>I genuinely love MOS to this day and genuinely enjoyed DOJ
>despite its many glaring flaws. I just don’t see
>“darkness” as a problem in these films. I’m not crazy
>about Zach’s visuals as the vehicle for these but the
>writing has been the major issue with these and if this one
>doesn’t deliver, writing will be the problem here too.

Logan came out pitch black and Deadpool came out even more cartoonish then Marvel and people love em.

Marvel's a big part but the biggest is that when the tone's so dark it makes its flaws more noticeable since it takes itself so seriously.

Fast and the Furious movies have loads of basic filmmaking flaws; pacing, plot holes, acting, character motivation...but they keep those jokes and explosions coming.

Dawn of Justice thought it was making a bigger statement then it actually was (however, Man of Steel got it perfect...imho it's heavily underrated and stands with the best of Marvel)

The handful of trailer jokes seem to go a long way to mitigate that tho.

Monkey Genius
8099 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 10:22 AM

37. "Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I feel like the, 'Everything should b..."

...like Marvel' wave is slowly receding. Slowly.

Saw someone complain yesterday that there were no solo movies to introduce the League members, and thought to myself how rarely I see that nonsense anymore.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Mar-27-17 11:16 AM

39. "The lack of solo movies is also not a big deal "
In response to Reply # 37

They could have introduced each of these other characters slowly over the course of, say, four films: two Superman, one Batman, and one Wonder Woman.

Each character didn’t need their own film to build to a JL film, just the three core characters.

Introduce, say, Aquaman in Supes 1 and give him an increased role as an uneasy ally in Supes 2, possibly with WW and/or Flash in, again, smaller roles.

Introduce Cyborg in Batman with a pre-established relationship between Batman and Flash, with Batman serving as a reluctant mentor of sorts. Instead of Lex keeping a dossier on everyone just set that in play in the Batman movie since it’s true to his character anyways. It wouldn’t take more than, say, 15 minutes of screen time woven throughout the film to establish these things and the film would still center on more traditional Batman stories.

Put Aquaman in a small role in WW, perhaps assisting during an ancient battle and establishing some kind of relationship between Atlantis and Themyscira and utlize Aquaman as distant but reliable ally to WW.

Add small elements here and there to hint at Darkseid’s arrival and the requisite post-credit scenes and at that point we’ve established a firm foundation for everyone coming together in the first JL film. For example, a better-executed version of the Knightmare could have been played out in Batman as a post-credit scene. Give Aquaman the post-credit scene for WW, things like that.

I’m sure you can poke holes all throughout that idea but I think something along those lines would have made a sound framework for JL and the DCEU. I don’t think everyone needed a movie, I just think they needed a stronger focus from the beginning. They should have peppered Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg into four films based on the Big Three and given them increased roles in the first JL film instead of the rush job done in BVS

bwood
8597 posts
Thu May-11-17 01:46 PM

44. "Diane Lane says JL won't be as good as the Avengers"
In response to Reply # 0

YO!!!

I'm fucking dying of laughter b. Damn I would've lied at least.

http://heroichollywood.com/justice-league-diane-lane-avengers/

‘Justice League’: Diane Lane Says Film Won’t Be Better Than ‘The Avengers’
by Sebastian Peris on May 11, 2017

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is arguably the most divisive superhero film to ever be released, fueling the ongoing debate between fans over the quality of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and DC Extended Universe films. One of the most frequently discussed moments in Batman v. Superman occurred when the two titular heroes ceased their feud upon realizing that their respective mothers shared the same name. It was moment that detractors often cite as an example of the film’s poor quality and now the actress portraying Martha Kent has made a statement that may not reassure fans who have concerns for Zack Snyder’s Justice League. In an interview on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, Diane Lane stated that she believes Justice League will not be a better film that Marvel’s The Avengers.

When asked if she could offer any Justice League spoilers and if the film would be better than Marvel’s The Avengers, Lane gave a blunt response.

“No, and no. Short, but honest. I hate to disappoint, but…“

You can hear Diane Lane’s comments for yourself in the video player below at the 1:40 mark.

Also read: ‘Justice League’ Cinematographer Reveals One Of His Favorite Shots From The Film

Normally one can expect these comments to be tongue-in-cheek or humorously self-deprecating, but Diane Lane seems sincere in her comparison between both films. How do you feel about Diane Lane’s comments? Share your thoughts below!

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Directed by Zack Snyder, Justice League stars Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg, Amber Heard, Jeremy Irons, J.K. Simmons, Willem Dafoe, Connie Nielsen, Julian Lewis Jones and Ciarán Hinds.

Justice League will be released in theaters on November 17, 2017.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Thu May-11-17 02:06 PM

45. "Wow, that's brutal. "
In response to Reply # 44

Nothing we didn't know though, haha.

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Thu May-11-17 02:53 PM

46. "WOW. "

------------------
One Hundred.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Fri May-12-17 11:03 AM

47. "She could just be throwing cold water on people's expectations"

Or, she's just telling the truth. Much ado about nothing either way. Let the movie suck on its own merit

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri May-12-17 11:11 AM

48. "She says that she meant she wouldn't comment on it."
In response to Reply # 47

As in, No I won't give you any Justice League inside info and no, I won't say whether or not it's better than Avengers.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Fri May-12-17 12:56 PM

49. "Kevin Costner says JL will take a dump truck shit on The Avengers"

seriously? i couldnt give 2 fucks less about what diane lane or any actor thinks about a movie.

Monkey Genius
8099 posts
Fri May-12-17 02:54 PM

50. "Diane meant "sorry to disappoint" in reference to revealing anything..."
Fri May-12-17 02:56 PM by Monkey Genius

...concerning "Justice League" that is not already out in the public, and, was declining to comment on a film (Avengers) that she has not seen.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/05/12/diane-lane-clarifies-justice-league-comments/

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon May-22-17 05:04 PM

51. "Damn, condolences to Snyder. Whedon finishing Justice League"
In response to Reply # 0

The filmmaker's daughter died by suicide in March, prompting him to take a break from work and Joss Whedon to finish the Warner Bros. superhero pic: "I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me."
Superheroes have always been about doing the right thing in the hardest of circumstances. Now Zack Snyder, one of the biggest filmmakers in the genre and the director of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the upcoming Justice League, finds himself in just such a situation.

Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in post-production, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Hellyeah
6506 posts
Mon May-22-17 05:37 PM

52. "that's beyond horrible. "
In response to Reply # 51

i hope the smartasses on the internet who used zack snyder as their personal punching bag for years will take a break after this one and avoid reaching a new low.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon May-22-17 05:40 PM

53. "Credit to Hollywood for not breaking this immediately"
In response to Reply # 52

And giving the family some time.

And yeah, I'm sure there will be some horrible tweets but hope most people can use common sense and decency to just wish the best for someone who just suffered one of the toughest losses imaginable.

----

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-23-17 08:34 AM

56. "Yup. Plus that timing on the Dawn of Justice release"
In response to Reply # 53

not even factoring the word of mouth; just having to go hit the interview circuit and talk it up (I remember that article where he took a blogger around the justice set to try to gain good will back). Imagine having to do that shit while dealing with such a horrific death.

My heart goes out to him.

bwood
8597 posts
Mon May-22-17 05:53 PM

54. "Damn. This is sad as fuck b."

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6564 posts
Mon May-22-17 10:02 PM

55. "I am glad he is stepping away to be with his family and to deal "

with such a horrific loss.

I wish them peace.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

j0510
2315 posts
Sat Jul-22-17 03:02 PM

57. "Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek"
In response to Reply # 0

Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23860 posts
Sat Jul-22-17 04:36 PM

58. "RE: Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek"
In response to Reply # 57

Any non-Supes guesses for the "He said you'd come" scene?

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

bwood
8597 posts
Sat Jul-22-17 04:38 PM

59. "Green Lantern."
In response to Reply # 58

calij81
13927 posts
Sat Jul-22-17 05:29 PM

60. "J'onn J'onzz the Martian Hunter"

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14580 posts
Sun Jul-23-17 02:49 PM

63. "Hellyeah....."

Hellyeah
6506 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 01:32 PM

68. "LOL!"
In response to Reply # 63

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 09:08 AM

66. "Apache Chief"

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 03:35 PM

72. "Captain Boomerang"

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jul-25-17 04:29 PM

75. "Jesus or Iron Man."

fuck you.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Jul-23-17 11:34 AM

61. "Even worse than I imagined"

Looks like BvS 2.0 which is definitely not a good thing.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sun Jul-23-17 12:15 PM

62. "WACK"

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21495 posts
Sun Jul-23-17 04:38 PM

64. "Shit looks more promising than expected"

>Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6yBZKj-eo

BrooklynWHAT
84997 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 01:33 PM

69. "yeah i mustve seen a diff trailer than the rest of yall cause it looks l..."
In response to Reply # 64

hardware
42304 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 03:12 PM

71. "this looks like the kind of trailer they show"
In response to Reply # 69

when the movie itself is crazy empty and boring.

Mgmt
21495 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 09:10 PM

73. "We can't compete with you my guy"
In response to Reply # 71

>when the movie itself is crazy empty and boring.

Tiger Woods
18362 posts
Sun Jul-23-17 06:33 PM

65. "the CG in Moana looked better. Damn"

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 09:13 AM

67. "It should be better than BvS"

At least from the fight scenes alone and less Luthor than before.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Hellyeah
6506 posts
Mon Jul-24-17 01:37 PM

70. "they're slowing fixing cyborg's look. thank god, he looked like crap"

trailer was dope, this time around they've learned from their previous mistakes and aren't giving away any plot points

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Jul-25-17 04:28 PM

74. "remember Super Friends?"

i grew up w/Super Friends bed sheets.

i want this to be like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Friends#/media/File:Super_Friends.jpg

that's all i want.

but i'm not a CB guy. all i had was that set of bed sheets. and i watched the cartoons.

fuck you.

bwood
8597 posts
Mon Aug-14-17 08:03 AM

76. "Yo! What the fuck is going on with this movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/justice-league-joss-whedon-ending-rumor/

There has been a lot to come out about the involvement of Joss Whedon in Justice League over the past week. Ben Affleck spoke to Entertainment Weekly about the “unique visions” both Whedon and Zack Snyder brought to the production and it was noted that recent reshoots were bringing about a change in tone for some of the movie, particularly with the character Cyborg. But now a new rumor is spreading online that indicates there’s more than just tone being shifted in the film and it isn’t really fair to Zack Snyder.

Whedon came on to replace to Snyder after the director decided to step away due to the tragic death of his daughter. The Avengers director had been involved in the film and was convinced to take over by Snyder once the decision had been made. But the latest rumor seems to indicate that Whedon was brought on to “lighten” Justice League and to redo the ending that was originally planned under Snyder.

According to ScreenRant, Batman On Film‘s Bill Ramey was told by a “well-placed” source that Snyder’s version of the film was “unwatchable” and the current reshoots, tone changes, and shifts are part of that. It was echoed by SlashFilm’s Peter Sciretta, who noted that Wheedon would be shifting the ending of the film away from a cliffhanger based on the arrival of the villain Darkseid that would lead into the second film. Sciretta runs down the details of the original plan, where Steppenwolf is the lead-in to Darkseid and plays the “Silver Surfer” role to Darkseid’s “Galactus.” None of this is too mindblowing considering it was teased in Batman V Superman, but it is a troubling rumor for where the DC Comics movies are going from this point forward.
Advertisement

The issue with this rumor isn’t that changes are happening to Snyder’s film or that the studio wants to adjust the film’s tone. That was always expected before Snyder’s departure and Whedon’s involvement drove that home. But basically undercutting Snyder and calling his version of the film “unwatchable” isn’t fair to the director, even if he hasn’t enjoyed critical praise for his entries into the series up to this point. Considering the public reason for his departure from the film, this type of rumor just seems to be off base in terms of its focus. Whatever version of the film was complete when Snyder departed, it couldn’t have been a completed product worthy of that type of description.

On top of that, this sounds similar to the criticism that was levied at Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman before its release, calling that production a “mess.” Not only did that turn out to be false considering the critical and box office success, but it also was another rumor attributed to sources inside Warner Bros. with knowledge of the production.

While the Justice League rumor could indeed be true or at least features enough truth to support it, the avenue it takes just is not fair to Snyder. Even if you believe he’s the worst director working today, it seems like the worst time to call his work trash in need of another director to sweep up the mess. Changing the ending, changing the tone, and re-shooting scenes would all make perfect sense and are normal, especially for such a big production. Not every major change requires dramatic gossip to make it work.

(Via CBR / ScreenRant / SlashFilm / Comic Book)

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 03:45 PM

77. "Casey Affleck says Ben is out (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://io9.gizmodo.com/casey-affleck-apparently-doesnt-think-his-brother-is-co-1797878970

Swipe

“He’s not going to do that movie, I don’t think,” Affleck says. “Or so I would say.” This seems definitive until the hosts say Casey is “breaking news.” Immediately, the actor kind of walks back the comments. “Is that breaking news? I was just kind of making that up,” he adds before a bunch of people talking over each other.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 03:52 PM

78. "lol. Yeah, not sure why they even flirting with this as an idea"
In response to Reply # 77

Remember when everyone was like Battflect was gonna be the worst thing in Bats vs Supes and he ended up being the best thing?

There's hella precident for an older batman...not sure why they are in a rush to recast considering the good will he's got going(unless HE doesnt wanna do it).

>http://io9.gizmodo.com/casey-affleck-apparently-doesnt-think-his-brother-is-co-1797878970
>
>Swipe
>
>“He’s not going to do that movie, I don’t think,”
>Affleck says. “Or so I would say.” This seems definitive
>until the hosts say Casey is “breaking news.” Immediately,
>the actor kind of walks back the comments. “Is that breaking
>news? I was just kind of making that up,” he adds before a
>bunch of people talking over each other.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 09:03 PM

79. "Im guessing Ben wants out"
In response to Reply # 78

They tossed his script for Batman and I can't imagine that he's psyched about moving forward with less say creatively.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Aug-16-17 10:28 PM

80. "it just sounds like he's not doing *a* specific Batman movie"
In response to Reply # 79

not that he wants out of the role completely.
he probs just doesn't dig Reeve's version of whatever Batstory Affleck originally wanted to tell. doesn't mean he's completely out as Bats.
that'd be damn near unrecoverable for the DC film universe if they lose Bats so soon.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Monkey Genius
8099 posts
Thu Aug-17-17 10:10 AM

81. "Just get Jeffery Dean Morgan on the phone, I guess."
In response to Reply # 80

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Aug-20-17 10:14 PM

82. "Ben still in as Bats (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ben-affleck-wont-be-returning-as-batman-so-says-brother-casey-174.

Update: Since Casey's appearance on the Dale & Holley with Keefe radio show, a representative of Affleck's reached out to Buzzfeed News and said, “he was having fun with the folks at the Red Sox game — where he threw out the first pitch in support of the Jimmy Fund — and not speaking from a place of firsthand knowledge.” Shortly thereafter, Ben Affleck's own rep contacted the same outlet and stated, “he'll continue to be Batman as long as the studio will have him.”
---

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

j0510
2315 posts
Sun Oct-08-17 09:52 AM

83. "JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Heroes Trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Heroes Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-DM9uBtVI

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 11:15 AM

84. "and i thought it couldn't get worse"
In response to Reply # 83

>JUSTICE LEAGUE - Official Heroes Trailer
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-DM9uBtVI

but i'll be damned did they prove me wrong.

so they gave aquaman two of the worst lines in all of comic movie history?

this looks like complete trash. not sure if the movie itself looks worse than the cgi that is cyborg.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12488 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 11:40 AM

85. "lmao, why do they add the corniest lines to the trailer?"
In response to Reply # 84

Remember "I thought she was with you"?

ugh.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Mon Oct-09-17 01:25 PM

86. "Looks like a bunch of actors running around a blown up Transformer"

It's CGI that's so "good" it's terrible.

Looks like a real train wreck.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

bwood
8597 posts
Tue Oct-10-17 01:13 PM

87. "Once again these guys hit the hammer on the head"

https://youtu.be/JLybDxL0Hqk

Agree with everything they said.

spenzalii
10978 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 02:11 PM

89. "Need to get back to the DT guys. They usually are on point"
In response to Reply # 87

Good stuff

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

bwood
8597 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 02:54 PM

90. "Usually. Sometimes they're way off base. NM"
In response to Reply # 89

Tiger Woods
18362 posts
Tue Oct-10-17 09:44 PM

88. "I can't believe how bad this still looks"

hardware
42304 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 03:32 PM

91. "i believe they filmed the whole movie in a big green room."

handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Wed Oct-11-17 09:17 PM

92. "^^And then color corrected grimy green"
In response to Reply # 91

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

bwood
8597 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 05:45 PM

93. "Runtime is 2 hours"
In response to Reply # 0

In two hours they've got to:

-Deal with the fallout of BvS

-Introduce three new heroes and their backstories

-Introduce Steppenwolf as a major threat along with the Parademons.

-Allude that Darkseid is on his way

-Assemble the team

-Bring back Superman

This is A LOT for a two hour movie.

Mgmt
21495 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 06:43 PM

94. "RE: Runtime is 2 hours"
In response to Reply # 93

They don’t have to hit your checkboxes necessarily. Are you a big DC comics fan?

bwood
8597 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:42 PM

95. "Seeing this shit on Monday."
In response to Reply # 0

Embargo drops 2:50am EST on the 15th.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 07:54 AM

96. "I'm sure you'll love it!"
In response to Reply # 95

It definitely doesn't seem like a steaming pile of shit.

spenzalii
10978 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 10:19 PM

97. "Can't wait for your thoughts on it"
In response to Reply # 95

Here's hoping for above average

Monkey Genius
8099 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:52 PM

98. "Social media embargo for critics has already been lifted. "
In response to Reply # 97
Fri Nov-10-17 11:54 PM by Monkey Genius

Consensus seems to be: decent but not great but fun. I’ve seen only one legitimately negative reaction so far.

Aquabro apparently steals the show.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #713376 Previous topic | Next topic