Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #713220

Subject: "Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 09:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Independence Day: Resurgence (Emmerich, 2016)"

My boy had a press screening today. It was cancelled. Rumor now is there will be NO screenings for this.

Take that as you will.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Honestly not surprised. The trailers are wack and Liam is bland as fuck
Jun 15th 2016
Fox screened Fantastic Four for us last year
Jun 16th 2016
Lol, probably because they screened Fantastic Four last year.
Jun 16th 2016
      This also lacks the negative buzz that FF had
Jun 16th 2016
let's kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy
Jun 16th 2016
      I have pretty fond memories of seeing it on opening weekend
Jun 16th 2016
So this bowed in a few countries overseas and...
Jun 21st 2016
Figured as much. I'm prepared for this.
Jun 21st 2016
Looks Sharknadoesque
Jun 21st 2016
This is just a setup for another sequel
Jun 24th 2016
Is this bad even if yuo already had very low expectations?
Jun 24th 2016
      Yes. Just for the deus ex machina alone.
Jun 24th 2016
           I actually didn't see that a DEM at all. I don't think it qualifies as ...
Jun 26th 2016
You get a sidekick, you get a sidekick, EVERYONE GETS A SIDEKICK
Jun 26th 2016
mediocre
Jun 26th 2016
They should've gone straight to the interstellar travel film.
Jun 26th 2016
i didn't even realize liam hemsworth's in this
Jun 28th 2016
      He's usually a dry bowl of plain oatmeal. He used aspartime here
Jun 28th 2016
           RE: He's usually a dry bowl of plain oatmeal. He used aspartime here
Jul 01st 2016
I heard that there was 2 versions of the film written
Jun 29th 2016
i enjoyed it for what it was: 90s throwback excessive action spectacle.
Jul 01st 2016
she's really the only character i lightweight cared for sans goldblum
Jul 01st 2016
this film's the reason why theaters sell alcohol now
Jul 01st 2016
This was goofy fun lol
Jul 02nd 2016

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Wed Jun-15-16 10:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Honestly not surprised. The trailers are wack and Liam is bland as fuck"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jun-15-16 10:18 PM by Cold Truth

No Will, shitty video game CGI and dumbass lines in that trailer like the part where they tell David "this is something only you would understand" as though the entire world wasn't invaded and completely aware of what went down.

Liam is a boring ass actor who has no fucking business in a tentpole like this.

I expect it to be pretty bad but it's an ID4 sequel and they still got Jeff Goldblum so I'll be there opening night.

bwood
8597 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 06:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Fox screened Fantastic Four for us last year "
In response to Reply # 1

So I don't know why they're afraid of showing us this.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 07:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Lol, probably because they screened Fantastic Four last year. "
In response to Reply # 2

It's probably not good and they know it.

bwood
8597 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 08:07 AM

4. "This also lacks the negative buzz that FF had"
In response to Reply # 3

That movie had no chance of winning, but there is literally no buzz on this.

They have nothing to lose after BvS, Alice, and Warcraft all screened this year. I refuse to believe that this is worse than those 3 movies, even if this is hallow and dumb as fuck.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 10:22 AM

5. "let's kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy"
In response to Reply # 1

>I expect it to be pretty bad but it's an ID4 sequel and they
>still got Jeff Goldblum so I'll be there opening night.

yo, seeing ID4 on opening weekend is still too this day the most i've ever heard an audience cheer throughout a film, particularly after a scene ends and the date flashes on the screen (July 2, July 3, etc). shit was sooo fun.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Thu Jun-16-16 11:33 AM

6. "I have pretty fond memories of seeing it on opening weekend"
In response to Reply # 5

I was 15 and had just gotten placed in a foster home (my 7th in a year and a half ) after a few months AWOL and a brief stint in a safe house. My foster parents let me sleep in, took me to cop some shoes and took me and their kids to see ID4 right after. The bought me popcorn and a soda and everything. I'd never been in a placement like that before. I was only there for nine months but that day stands out in my memory in a big way.

Come to think of it I may hit them up and take them to see this one.

bwood
8597 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 11:08 AM

7. "So this bowed in a few countries overseas and..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I'll post some reactions I've read from general audiences:

"ID RESURGENCE is this year's PIXELS. Bloody hell it's bad."

"As if to troll thinkpiece writers, ID RESURGENCE has a scene where its black and asian characters LITERALLY take a back seat to 2 white guys"

"Goldblums a handsome bloke, but in ID RESURGENCE females act like he's 30 year old Brad Pitt."

"The plot is so incomprehensible and ludicrous, that I actually can't believe it took then 20 years to come up with this as the best final product. I imagine that a toddler could've come up with something more creative"

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 01:23 PM

9. "Figured as much. I'm prepared for this. "
In response to Reply # 7

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66720 posts
Tue Jun-21-16 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Looks Sharknadoesque"
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

bwood
8597 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 03:42 PM

10. "This is just a setup for another sequel"
In response to Reply # 0

Will Smith dodged a bullet. You can tell people are standing in front of green screen composites for most of it.

This lacked the humor, wit, and heart of the first. Everyone is pretty bad in this.

Wait till you see the deus ex machina for this film. I couldn't believe it.

There's ton of goofy shit in this, I just don't wanna talk about it.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 05:37 PM

11. "Is this bad even if yuo already had very low expectations?"
In response to Reply # 10

Because I fully expected this to be pretty bad from the first trailer

bwood
8597 posts
Fri Jun-24-16 06:24 PM

12. "Yes. Just for the deus ex machina alone."
In response to Reply # 11

I hate for people to waste their money on this. I had a courtesy screening and even that was a waste.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 12:41 PM

14. "I actually didn't see that a DEM at all. I don't think it qualifies as ..."
In response to Reply # 12

They played that up from the start and it was crystal clear it was going to be an ally the second David decided against shooting it down, so it wasn't like they just threw it in there out of nowhere.

Certainly wasn't any worse than the computer virus from the first.

They did take a lazy Hollywood approach to it though. I actually liked the general concept of it, though I thoroughly loathe the way they executed from start to finish. I do think that the general idea made perfect sense- a being from another planet that had been destroyed by them comes to help. The big eye roll for me is that she/it somehow had access to all this tech to destroy them, even though her planet lost their ass.

So while it was definitely poor execution I do think calling it DEM is a definite overstatement.

IMO they had all the ingredients to make this really pop but it became so bloated with unnecessary characters. I didn't mind the psychic connection thing at all, but all they needed was David to be the guy investigating those reports, Okun and Whitmore to work that angle. They didn't need the Guerilla fighter and David'd girl to do that.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 12:29 PM

13. "You get a sidekick, you get a sidekick, EVERYONE GETS A SIDEKICK"
In response to Reply # 0

Spoilers.

One glaring problem here is that EVERYONE has a quirky sidekick for absolutely no good reason.

-David has a girlfriend/sidekick. Fine.
-Liam has a sidekick. Fine. Standard fare, so whatever.
-Dr Okun has a sidekick. Ok... wtf, but ok.

-The African Guerilla Warrior as a sidekick. Because why the fuck not at this point.

-David's dad has four sidekicks. And then a bus full of them. Because again: WHY THE FUCK NOT.

First: this goes into my mindless popcorn movie file. I actually didn't hate it. I'm happy I finally got my sequel. It's whatever.

There's a lot to bitch about but one significant issue is that this was bogged down by so many useless characters.

David's girlfriend, by herself would have been fine.

Liam's sidekick didn't need to exist and took up way too much screen time, and that's another issue: they made this another tired ass Young Adult Novel movie with tired ass Young Adult Novel tropes..... like the girl he pines for.

So Liam gets a sidekick and the sidekick gets a love interest because.... well... yeah. Oh, and the love interest gets an entrance that looks like she's gonna be important. She's part of a
"Legacy Squad" that's led by Captain Heller's bland, goofy ass kid and gets swarmed for autographs when she shows up. She seems like she's going to be critical.

....but all she does is look at shit and eventually, suddenly, mercifully decide to have dinner with Liam's cornball sidekick.... after riding shotgun for him on a mission.

Oh, and David's pops basically rescues/kidnaps a car full of children.... and then takes them with him as he rescues/kidnaps a bus full of children. I know he's helping but this shit was completely useless and I enjoyed it more once I framed it in that way.

Anyhow, none of the following characters neeeded to fucking exists:

David's girl, Liam's sidekick, Liam's sidekick's girlfriend, the African Guerilla Warrior and his unlikely sidekick, Dr Okun's completely unnecessary and useless sidekick, and I'm sure there were others.

Whoever they cast as Hellers kid was trash too. Good god was he boring. Liam wasn't terribly awful but this kid managed to be as bland as I expected Liam to be.

But yeah this was mediocre just from a character standpoint, without getting into anything else. I'd avoid it unless you're like me and absolutely love ID4 and absolutely MUST to see a sequel in the theater.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 12:58 PM

15. "mediocre"
In response to Reply # 0

It was bad but not unenjoyable.

I feel like in a while podcasts like How Did This Get Made will be ripping it apart. Which yeah it kind of deserves.

But as bwood said, it was mostly just the setup for a third movie. One I don't think would necessarily be very good.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86641 posts
Sun Jun-26-16 01:49 PM

16. "They should've gone straight to the interstellar travel film."
In response to Reply # 0

This nostalgia-based remake shit bores me.

Only thing that perked my ears up was the alien refugee planet with virtual beings prepping for universal war. That sounds new. This rehash shit that's so popular now? Pass.

Oh, the alien queen chasing the school bus also ruled. But that was a brief moment of unhinged silliness. It's mostly a snooze.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Flash80
6953 posts
Tue Jun-28-16 06:14 PM

17. "i didn't even realize liam hemsworth's in this"
In response to Reply # 16

dude possesses the charisma of the bottom of my shoe.

i still might see this as a amatinee next week tho.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Tue Jun-28-16 06:18 PM

18. "He's usually a dry bowl of plain oatmeal. He used aspartime here"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Jun-28-16 06:21 PM by Cold Truth

I mean, he's bland in this, but, you know, less bland than usual.

He's basically AJ from Armageddon (Ben Affleck) during the very first scene. After that it's like they gave AJ some Ritalin.

That's the best way to explain what you can expect from him in this.

Flash80
6953 posts
Fri Jul-01-16 10:40 AM

22. "RE: He's usually a dry bowl of plain oatmeal. He used aspartime here"
In response to Reply # 18

>I mean, he's bland in this, but, you know, less bland than
>usual.
>
>He's basically AJ from Armageddon (Ben Affleck) during the
>very first scene. After that it's like they gave AJ some
>Ritalin.
>
>That's the best way to explain what you can expect from him in
>this.

definitely.

though i feel like as campy as it was, AJ's "NOOOO! HARRY NO! IT'S MY JOB!!" >>> anything that came out of liam's mouth in ID4.2

IJUSSWANNACHiLL
Member since Aug 16th 2003
726 posts
Wed Jun-29-16 08:32 PM

19. "I heard that there was 2 versions of the film written"
In response to Reply # 0

One with Smith in it and one without. I wonder if Will Smith decided to return if it would have made any difference at all.

Anyway, it definitely could've been way better but with that being said, the main thing I liked about the movie was the storyline of the Sphere. How its species used to be regular beings and they transformed into artificial bodies. Also, how it was an ally to Earth and trying to recruit them to help defeat the Alien enemy.

If they decide to make a third film it could be very interesting with:

- A hidden, refugee planet of different alien species recruited by the sphere to plot an attack on the "Harvesters".

- Advanced weapons and technology that is even seen as a threat to the Harvesters.

- Space battles and travelling to different planets.

With all of the negative reviews from critics fans as well as underwhelming box office numbers, it doesn't look like a 3rd film is going to happen. If they don't decide to make a third film, maybe there will be novels/comics of what happens after. I would be open to that at least.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Jul-01-16 03:29 AM

20. "i enjoyed it for what it was: 90s throwback excessive action spectacle."
In response to Reply # 0

would've been cool to have Will in there as well just to round out the nostalgia, but it was fine w/out him. i dug the universe-building, the wholesale destruction (altho it feels like not SO much of earth was effected this time even tho the ship was gifuckingnormous), the advancements in tech, the friendly sphere, and the return of the unhinged Brackish. everything felt rather inconsequential cos we all know who was gonna prevail in the end, and yeah majority of the leads were bland cos they basically have little to no character development allowed. everythings gotta take a backseat to the main event as is usually the case in flicks like this.

main thing that bugged me tho?

(spoilers i spose)

why Julius Levinson surfs a tsunami and survives, but Jasmine Hiller can't get rescued from a freakin stationary building? like, SHE had to die? cmon now.

and i think they've already greenlit the 3rd one. looks like they wanna film it and get it out asap on some Back To The Future 2 & 3 type deal. i heard they're making a Stargate reboot in-between too.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Flash80
6953 posts
Fri Jul-01-16 10:50 AM

23. "she's really the only character i lightweight cared for sans goldblum "
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Jul-01-16 10:52 AM by Flash80

to be honest, i was rooting for the aliens at one point, in an effort to downsize the bloated cast.

>but Jasmine
>Hiller can't get rescued from a freakin stationary building?
>like, SHE had to die? cmon now.
>

she caught it in the worst way. the wideshot of her slow fall into the abyss was... damn.

Flash80
6953 posts
Fri Jul-01-16 10:36 AM

21. "this film's the reason why theaters sell alcohol now"
In response to Reply # 0

after two IPA's, i honestly didn't care how ridiculous whatever that was on the screen in front of me. i was just along for the ride.

"wooohoooo!" - random throwaway pilot.

i will say this tho, i don't think i've ever seen more impatient, ADHD-riddled dialogue (and editing). it's like the actors were completing each other's lines. this makes starship troopers look like 2001.

and does william fichtner owe back taxes or something? boy did he ever dumb himself down for this payday.

pretty much agree with what everyone's said here. sidekicks...LOL.

also, this film taught me that a) if i'm ever in a coma for 20 years, i can be confident that no one will pull the plug, and b) if i do wake up, i'll have zero muscle atrophy.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Sat Jul-02-16 09:30 PM

24. "This was goofy fun lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #713220 Previous topic | Next topic