Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #712213

Subject: "Oeuvrank: Your Favorite Superhero Trilogies" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed May-18-16 11:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Oeuvrank: Your Favorite Superhero Trilogies"

Might as well spin this off from the Cap post.

Whether or not you count Captain America as a trilogy is up to the individual person. Don't think we're going to come to an agreement on that one so people can include it if they think it's a proper trilogy or not (if they think it's part of a larger whole.)

OK, so here are mine. I'm sure there are other trilogies I forgot but these are the ones I can think of.

1. Captain America: The only trilogy that actually delivered three quality films.

2. Blade: I might say that Spidey is "better" but I have to give the #2 spot to Blade because I own Blade 1 & 2 and I don't think I own a single movie from any other trilogy. Let's pretend #3 didn't happen.

3. Spider-Man: 3 absolutely sucks but I'd put the first two films up against any other first two films of a superhero trilogy.

4. The Dark Knight: I hate Rises and think Dark Knight kind of stumbles at the end but it's still gotta be up there.

5. Superman: I'm a big fan of #1 and #2 and while I don't remember much of three, the woman getting sucked into the machine and becoming a robot still haunts me. It's right up there with Dark Knight but I haven't seen them again in a while so I'll hold off of putting them up there.

6. X-Men: X2 carries it as the third film is ass and the first one doesn't really hold up as well as I thought it would.

7. Iron Man: I don't like the final act of 1, not a fan of 2 at all, and barely remember 3 but Robert Downey Jr. charms his way into the 7th spot.

8. OG Batman: I almost don't want to call this a trilogy because Burton only did two but I really like Batman and Batman Returns is OK. Forever is a huge misfire.

Honorable Mention: Hellboy, which would be up there if they delivered a good third movie.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Here's Mine:
May 19th 2016
My Top 5:
May 19th 2016
RE: Oeuvrank: Your Favorite Superhero Trilogies
May 19th 2016

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Thu May-19-16 10:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Here's Mine: "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-19-16 10:51 AM by WarriorPoet415

1. Cap Trilogy: I know the whole argument about having so many other characters, and it's really just another avengers movie, but nah. It counts. All three films are pretty much Cap/Bucky centric so to me it's still his trilogy.

2. Nolan's Batman: Rises literally makes little sense plot-wise, but as a trilogy, it has an undeniable high point in TDK, great consistent tone and world-building throughout all three movies.

3. Raimi's Spider-Man: totally agreed that the first two films can go against any other trilogy first two entries. Only weakness in the first one is the dated look of the goblin suit. Third one was overstuffed with bad guys that should have been saved for later. And the hokey "Dark Peter" sequence, ugh.

4. X-Men: 2 major gripes with this franchise. First, the first movie was clearly Fox just seeing if this Xmen/superhero thing will pan out. The production quality on this movie is the lowest of any X-Men movie to date and it shows. They were being cautious. Second, Ratner was the wrong director for three. It's also the shortest X-Men movie at 1hr 45mins. There was actually a good plot there. Could have benefitted from a better director and 30 more minutes of exploring the pros/cons of mutations and how humans should react.

5. Iron Man: First one is up in my top five of super hero films. Another character I really didn't think they would pull off. In the comics prior to the movie, Iron Man is like a B or C lister AT BEST. Second movie was bland, but not horrible. We got to see Rhodey in action. Third was cool 90's action flick-ish, great dialog by Shane Black.

6. Blade: First one is really underrated. I had to come around on number 2, but it's really, really solid. I really don't want to think about number 3. That was really a rancid piece of trash. Wesley tried his best, but damn that was a really bad movie. He wasn't given much to work with.

Honorable Mention:

I agree that if they did another good Hellboy, it would be up there. The first two were really top notch.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Thu May-19-16 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "My Top 5:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Cap
2. Iron Man
3. Spider-Man
4. Blade (almost flipped with Spidey, but Blade 3 < Spidey 3)
5. The Dark Knight

Kills me to not include X-Men as X2 stands with the best of the movies on the above list, but the third is blah and the back half of the first film is really bad.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu May-19-16 12:16 PM

3. "RE: Oeuvrank: Your Favorite Superhero Trilogies"
In response to Reply # 0

1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man
3. X-Men
4. OG Batman
5. Spider-Man
6. Blade
7. Hellboy
8. Superman

0. Captain America (looking forward to seeing CW next month)

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #712213 Previous topic | Next topic