Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #711025

Subject: "the magnificent seven (fuqua, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 08:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"the magnificent seven (fuqua, 2016)"

http://bcove.me/iynfgflm

http://tinyurl.com/hopp7rx

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/04/19/magnificent-seven-denzel-washington-sneak-peek-exclusive/83165304/

Director Antoine Fuqua knew he’d have to pull out some stops to convince Denzel Washington to saddle up for The Magnificent Seven.

After all, Washington had never done a Western. And there are big shoes to fill: Yul Brynner led an immortal cast (including Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson) in the original 1960 tale of gunslingers banding together to save a Mexican village from marauding bandits.

At lunch, Fuqua painted the whole picture of Washington dramatically riding over the hill on a black horse. He even played a hip-hop version of an Ennio Morricone Western theme to set the heroic mood.

It worked.

“Denzel just smiled and said, ‘All right, let’s do it,' ” Fuqua recalls. “I walked out of the restaurant and said to myself, ‘Denzel Washington is getting on a horse for The Magnificent Seven.' "

It’s not just Washington who is saddling up for Fuqua's remake, but an all-star cast which includes Chris Pratt, Vincent D’Onofrio and Ethan Hawke (the latter officially making it a reunion of 2001's Training Day).

The modern retelling rides into theaters Sept. 23 and releases its first trailer online Wednesday, revealing a black-hatted Washington with some serious sideburns and a mustache. The look was Washington’s idea, which shocked fans when he stepped out for the 2015 Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight while starting to grow it out. That became an Internet thing.

“We went to that boxing match in Vegas, and people were seeing Denzel with the chops and were like, ‘What’s going on?’ “ Fuqua says. “I was saying to myself, 'Wait till they see him in full glory.' He looks great. Denzel just locked into that look."

Washington also took horseback riding lessons and bonded any and everywhere with his bounty-hunter character's nickel-plated Colt .45 Peacemaker.

“He had it with him all the time, even when he wasn’t on the set,” Fuqua says. “We’d have meetings and he’d be spinning and twirling his gun while we were talking. He used to walk around his house spinning guns, go to restaurants. Obviously, people knew it was for his character.”

Hawke rides alongside as the Civil War sharpshooter Goodnight Robicheaux, who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. Pratt, as the charming gambler Josh Farraday, was so amped to be riding in the crew that he kept a positive perspective, despite soaring temperatures on the set in New Orleans.

“It'd be 110 degrees and even the horses wouldn't do what you wanted them to do," Fuqua says. "I’d check in and ask Chris, 'You good?' And he’d say, ‘Let’s do this baby, I’m in a Western.' ”

The gang of misfits who come together for this Magnificent Seven is a diverse one, from its African-American leading man to South Korean star Byung-hun Lee, Mexican actor Manuel Garcia-Rulfo and Native American Martin Sensmeier. That was important for Fuqua, but the killer attitude was paramount.

“These guys are gunslingers, and when they walk into the room, you notice them,” Fuqua says. “These are people you want to be with, or you want to protect you.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/20/magnificent-seven-trailer

Forget righteousness. The new trailer for Antoine Fuqua’s starry, bullet-holed remake of The Magnificent Seven arrived early Wednesday morning, ready to serve up a helping of revenge.

Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D’Onofrio, Byung-Hun Lee, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, and Martin Sensmeier star in the film as the title seven avengers, with Peter Sarsgaard playing the villainous outlaw they’re out to kill (before he kills them first). As the trailer sets up, Washington’s Sam Chisolm is asked by a young woman (Haley Bennett, who also stars in this fall’s The Girl on a Train) if he’ll provide retribution to the evil Bartholomew Bogue (Sarsgaard), who previously rode into their town, burned a church, and shot her husband (Matt Bomer makes a brief appearance as the doomed spouse). Chisolm will, but he needs some help first. Enter the motley crew of ne’er-do-wells to lend support, including Pratt’s gambler and Hawke’s Civil War veteran.

“These guys are gunslingers, and when they walk into the room, you notice them,” Fuqua told USA Today on Tuesday when first-look photos of The Magnificent Seven were released. “These are people you want to be with, or you want to protect you.”

A remake of the classic 1960 Western starring Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen (itself based on 1954’s Seven Samurai), Magnificent Seven rides into theaters on Sept. 23.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk
Apr 20th 2016
better than Tarantino. NOPE! We comparing!
Apr 20th 2016
haha. fooq dogg!!!
Apr 20th 2016
Aint no comparison....Hateful Eight was turribell.
Sep 29th 2016
Went to an advanced screening..,
Apr 23rd 2016
Chris Pratt is so clear on who he is...zero fucks
Apr 23rd 2016
Trailer didn't move me.
Apr 26th 2016
It's great. Incredibly entertaining.
Sep 22nd 2016
Solid throwaway Western
Sep 25th 2016
Solid Movie. Good pace and action from start to finish
Sep 26th 2016
saw it last night w/ the wife on a date night. this was great. loved it....
Sep 27th 2016
I really enjoyed it.
Sep 28th 2016
the more I think about it he more I dislike it
Sep 28th 2016
it was aight for a matinee
Sep 28th 2016
I couldn't help thinking that while watching.
Sep 28th 2016
      totally agree on a backstory
Sep 29th 2016
predictable
Sep 29th 2016
This shit was good as hell
Oct 02nd 2016
I thought it was good.
Oct 05th 2016

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSRpSn8Pyk

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 11:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "better than Tarantino. NOPE! We comparing!"
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 02:15 PM

3. "haha. fooq dogg!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Thu Sep-29-16 10:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Aint no comparison....Hateful Eight was turribell."
In response to Reply # 2

Indulgent af.

Magnificent Seven does play it safe....but sometimes that's all a movie has to do. Fuqua/Denzel on a roll.

ODotSoHot
Member since Apr 02nd 2013
1171 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 10:02 AM

4. "Went to an advanced screening..,"
In response to Reply # 0

Easily Fuqua's best film since 'Training Day'. Denzel transcends and Chris Pratt is scary good (I haven't seen too many people steal scenes from Denzel). I'm a huge fan of 'Seven Samurai' and the original 'Magnificent Seven'...they did those films justice and it fits into the canon nicely.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Sat Apr-23-16 11:04 AM

5. "Chris Pratt is so clear on who he is...zero fucks"
In response to Reply # 0

He just shows up as Chris Pratt and when the camera rolls, its Chris Pratt in a Cowboy outfit, space suit, army uniform, whatever.

He's Keanu 2.0 now with personality.

------------------
One Hundred.

Quack
Charter member
701 posts
Tue Apr-26-16 11:46 AM

6. "Trailer didn't move me."
In response to Reply # 0

I peep it in the theaters though. I'd love to be surprised by how good this is.

You can do it, Duffy Moon!

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Sep-22-16 11:58 PM

7. "It's great. Incredibly entertaining."
In response to Reply # 0

Very old school Western. Action is all crisp. D'Onofrio hams it up beautifully.

One complaint: wish they'd used the original music the entire movie long. The original score is an all-timer.

Still-- a lot of fun.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sun Sep-25-16 09:45 PM

8. "Solid throwaway Western"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairly standard Western. Entertaining enough. Don't think you need to rush to the theaters to see it.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 05:53 AM

9. "Solid Movie. Good pace and action from start to finish"
In response to Reply # 0

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Sep-27-16 09:09 AM

10. "saw it last night w/ the wife on a date night. this was great. loved it...."
In response to Reply # 0

gripped you from the word go. let you know something about everyone's backstories, and then they got down to business shooting shit up.

denzel was badass. pratt was pratt but great at it. d'onofrio... man, i loved his character.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 06:56 AM

11. "I really enjoyed it."
In response to Reply # 0

Cast made it all the better.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6569 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 09:30 AM

12. "the more I think about it he more I dislike it"
In response to Reply # 0

I lay the vast majority of the blame on Nick Pizzolatto and Wenck's script which fails on multiple levels.

I'm happy it made a bunch of money because I'm always happy when westerns do well in this day and age. I just hope they don't make more westerns like this.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 04:38 PM

13. "it was aight for a matinee"
In response to Reply # 0

*spoilers*

how did the 40 bad guys who showed up with sarsgaard before the gunfight turn into like 300 during it?

shit felt like agent smith matrix reloaded levels of spawning ridiculousness.

it warmed my heart though seeing the black dude, mexican and native american riding off into the horizon as the only survivors out of the 7.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Sep-28-16 05:05 PM

14. "I couldn't help thinking that while watching."
In response to Reply # 13

I would have put money on the Mexican dude or the Native American being the first one to get it. I would have liked more backstory about the two Native Americans. That could be an interesting approach to a Western - Native Americans deciding which side to choose when both sides stole their land.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Thu Sep-29-16 10:33 AM

16. "totally agree on a backstory"
In response to Reply # 14

>I would have put money on the Mexican dude or the Native
>American being the first one to get it. I would have liked
>more backstory about the two Native Americans. That could be
>an interesting approach to a Western - Native Americans
>deciding which side to choose when both sides stole their
>land.

you just had the anticipatory feeling the two were gonna square off.

*spoiler*

tho i thought fuqua would've had the older NA put up more of a fight as the clear-cut henchman...maybe having a few tricks up his sleeve from combat experience, instead of getting shanked in two seconds, called a sellout and going out like a sucka.

*end spoiler*

re: backstory, i was watching 'hell or high water' yesterday and they did a nice job drawing subtextual sympathy to the NA cop when he gave his own monologued sentiment re: all his kinfolk's land stolen by "regular" white folk/the army... and then the banking system subsequently stealing it from the latter.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Thu Sep-29-16 07:41 AM

15. "predictable"
In response to Reply # 0

could've waited for redbox

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Oct-02-16 04:21 PM

18. "This shit was good as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

KnowOne
Charter member
39942 posts
Wed Oct-05-16 01:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "I thought it was good."
In response to Reply # 0

It was definitely helped by having a strong cast of actors.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #711025 Previous topic | Next topic