Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #711001

Subject: "So this fuckboy wrote this "essay" on female heroes." Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 03:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So this fuckboy wrote this "essay" on female heroes."
Tue Apr-19-16 03:49 PM by bwood

Not only does this come off as this dude is insecure about his masculinity, this is also wild misguided.

I can't believe he typed this and then got it published. Everything here is cringeworthy.

And of course he quotes the Bible. Of course.

http://warhornmedia.com/2016/03/07/an-open-letter-to-rey-from-star-wars/

An Open Letter to Rey from Star Wars

Posted by Nathan Alberson | Mar 7, 2016 | Arts & Culture |
An Open Letter to Rey from Star Wars

Dear Rey from Star Wars,

Also Princess Leia. And Wonder Woman. And Sarah Connor and Trinity and Imperator Furiosa and Beatrix Kiddo and Black Widow and Katniss Everdeen and River Tam and Gamora. And Feminist Elf-Kate from The Hobbit. And every character undertaken to help pay Milla Jovovich’s mortgage. And the godmother of them all, Ellen Ripley. If you are an empowered fictional female warrior type, this is a letter to you.

Let me start by saying I have enjoyed many of the movies that you ladies have been in. I hope you won’t think I’m being patronizing if I say you are all beautiful, talented, intelligent flowers of your respective civilizations. My hat is off to all of you. It really is. And as a sworn gentleman, I’m loath to cause you any pain or embarrassment. In fact, if I may be so bold, I’d like to save you from pain or embarrassment.

So you see the pickle I’m in. I feel a bit like it’s my job to tell you your slip is showing. Or like I’m one of those knights in those paintings where the knight is rescuing the, uh, rather unclothed lady who is tied to a tree. True chivalry demands action in both those cases, but you can’t do it without causing the lady in question a little of the old p. and e.

In any case, it’s going to seem like I’m being hard on you all, but I’m only doing it because I care about you. And I hope if you read through to the end you’ll see that I’m actually being much harder on myself and other men.

So let’s talk.

I know the whole world is ladling on the adoration for your brave contributions to modern womanhood. However, you are behaving, all of you, in ways that do not befit your sex or glorify God. Frankly, and I’m sorry to have to say this, I really am, many of you look ridiculous. Your friends and family and fans may not laugh at you. But the angels do and history will. What you’re doing might be good politics (of a sort), but it’s bad biology, bad theology, and bad storytelling. It lies about who you are as a woman and how God made you. And it makes for lousy movies and TV.

Okay, that’s the nastiest part. Now let me explain.

Let’s talk about biology first, who you are as a woman.

The most obvious things are the hardest to defend. You can write whole textbooks proving something unseen and unexpected like gravity or photosynthesis. But how do you prove the existence of Mt. Everest besides saying “Look, there it is?”

That’s why I feel dumb saying this, but:

Women are the weaker sex. They may be the smarter sex, they are often the wiser sex, they’re probably the more industrious sex, they’re definitely the prettier sex. But they’re also the weaker sex.

I know we’ve all seen German Olympic wrestling ladies that could wrestle me to the ground faster than you can say “steroid abuse.” But most women I meet are smaller than me. Their arms have less than half the bulk and heft of mine. It’s how they’re built. Rey, I’m sorry, but I did not believe for a second that a little girl like you really beat up those thugs on Jaaku. It was almost like it was choreographed or something.

I don’t mean to be patronizing, I know there are women out there that could instantaneously cripple me with their mad skillz. But the cumulative effect of watching movie after movie wherein fine ladies such as yourselves suddenly crunch the bones of a dozen bad guys at a time is that some silly people get the idea there’s no real difference between men and women’s bodies, that most little ladies if properly motivated could beat up most men. And that’s just not true because it’s obviously not true.

It’s not just a matter of small bodies versus big bodies. Women are the weaker sex because they’re more timid and emotionally vulnerable and tender-hearted than men. God made them that way.

I’m generalizing here. So did God. It’s in the Bible. You ladies all read your Bibles, right? Here are three different prophets describing the weakness and fearfulness of three different nations, using women as the metaphor:

In that day the Egyptians will become like women, and they will tremble and be in dread because of the waving of the hand of the LORD of hosts, which He is going to wave over them. — Isaiah 19:16

The warriors of Babylon have ceased fighting; they remain in their strongholds; their strength has failed; they have become women. — Jeremiah 51:30

Behold, your people are women in your midst! — Nahum 3:13

Here’s the Apostle Peter with some advice for husbands:

You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman. — 1 Peter

None of those passages have as their points that women are weak or unfit for certain manly responsibilities. It’s assumed. The book of Exodus doesn’t spend twelve chapters explaining why the parting of the Red Sea was a miracle—everybody knows how seas act. Nor does Jeremiah explain why warriors of Babylon are pathetic when they act like women—everybody knows how women act.

I could quote more scriptures about women being vulnerable in ways that men aren’t. About women being designed by God to be wives and mothers. About Eve being made as Adam’s helpmate. I’m not going to bother doing that because you ladies are all capable of reading your Bibles.

And even the makers of the movies you ladies are in couldn’t get away from these sorts of considerations. Roger Ebert complained in his review of The Matrix that “ has a sensational title sequence, before the movie recalls that she’s a woman and shuttles her into support mode.” You remember that, right, Trinity? You fell in love with the hero and helped inspire him to kill the bad guy with a kiss? What were the filmmakers thinking, starting you out so strong and then reducing you to that?

It’s weird. A lot of you guys’ movies do that. Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley, you may be battle-scarred warrior women, but you’re also mothers protecting your young—Sarah is protecting John, and Ms. Ripley, the iconic moment that everybody remembers is when you approach the Alien mother to save the little girl and utter your immortal catchphrase, “Get away from her, you bitch.” Beatrix, you were fighting to get your daughter back. Black Widow, Joss Whedon got in trouble with the feminists for giving you some backstory about how you could never be a mother. And what about the garbage love story with the dwarf that you had to muddle through in The Hobbit, Elf-Kate?

I don’t have to keep making this point because the feminists have complained about it plenty. Even movies that pay lip service to female empowerment with a superpowered heroine often end up, as the great Roger E. put it, remembering that she’s a woman and shuttling her into support mode. Roger was disappointed by that in The Matrix. But I wonder if they don’t do it simply because there are certain design elements that God placed in women which are difficult to escape, even for a then-soon-to-be-transgender Larry/Lana Wachowski or uber-feminist Joss Whedon. You might be the exception to this rule, Rey, but you’re so thinly written that even some liberals complained you were too obvious an example of wish-fulfillment.

Look, I don’t want to bully you ladies. Trinity and Furiosa, you both participated in the greatest car chases of your respective decades. I like movies like the ones you guys are in.

What I’m getting sick of is the men that think it’s cool and sexy to make you be the way you are. The men who refuse to tell stories that encourage and ennoble other men to protect and care for the weak ones, the vulnerable ones, the hurting ones—the women and the children, the widows and the orphans.

As men, we were born with bodies and minds crafted for war. We are the warriors, the peacekeepers, the protectors—the bloodshedders, when the time is right. Every man is a father, whether of his own children, or the people that work for him, or the folks he leads at church. As such, he must be ready to uphold what is virtuous and punish what is evil.

I get it, it’s all make-believe, it’s all for fun, most of you ladies were in extreme post-apocalyptic kung-fu type situations that most regular Joes won’t ever be in. Most people, whether Joe or Jane, won’t have to kill monsters or fight duels or fire rocket launchers. Real life is (often) more prosaic than the fantasies you ladies were created to sell.

Except prosaic is wrong, because the duels we fight with words, the loved ones we protect from sin or despair, the widows and the orphans we assist with our time or money—these things have real currency in the kingdom of God. He will reward or punish us based on how we fight these seeming non-battles.

So it helps for men to be encouraged and allowed to feel good about being the protectors and defenders.

Some of my male friends will read this and think I’m overreacting. After all, they are hard workers, blameless in their service to the church, good husbands to their wives, loving fathers to their children. They do everything right. Righter than me.

And they enjoy your movies. Just for fun and relaxation. They like to watch you ladies bust out your mad skillz. Who am I to criticize?

Answer: entertainment matters. The things we like, even the fictional things, mean something about the condition of our souls. If you’re a man of God, you’re a man of God twenty-four-seven. You don’t get five minutes a day to indulge in pagan fantasies, to abdicate masculine responsibility, if only in your mind.

Many of the older generation will argue that my generation takes its entertainments—our movies, our TV shows, our books, our music—far too seriously. With all due respect to the older generation, and much respect is due, I think they’re dead wrong. We don’t take them half seriously enough.

Movies are great. I love movies. But a movie is never just a movie. A story is never just a story. The good stories ennoble us. They make us, in their own humble way, better men and women. The bad ones have the power to mutilate our souls.

I said earlier that watching movie after movie of you ladies exercising your empowerment through violence deadens our sense of any difference between men and women. It’s true. It’s true of me. I didn’t have sisters growing up. I was friends with some girls but I didn’t particularly understand or know how to respect them. I didn’t have many opportunities growing up to learn a woman’s worth. Nobody was preaching any sermons about it in the churches we went to early on.

Movies and TV were a big part of how I learned who women were. And they lied to me. They told me that women were glorified boys who tagged along on adventures, took care of themselves, and wouldn’t let you have sex with them until sometime late in act 2 when, for no particular reason, they would.

These are terrible things to learn about women.

Look ladies, I’m not saying it’s all your fault. You’re just doing what you think you’re supposed to. The actresses who played you were just submitting to their industry and their directors and producers and agents. Which is what you’d expect. Everybody has to submit to somebody. For most women it’s going to be a man. These particular women choose the men who told them if they degraded themselves they’d be free. And they’d be inspiring others to be free.

It’s just so sad. I wish every one of the ladies who played y’all had a father or a husband who loved them enough to tell them they weren’t allowed to do what they did. If saying that makes me a monster, okay, I’m a monster.

Because I need all you fictional ladies to help me out. Because I suck. I’m passive. I’m weak. I don’t need more excuses. What I need is something to fight for, someone to fight for, someone to protect. If you rob me of that, you rob me of my dignity as a man.

So don’t be part of the conspiracy (led mostly by wicked men) to murder my motivation and crush out my will like a cigarette butt.

And what about all the girls and women out there who want to be godly, awesome, beautiful, feminine women? What about them? When they see one of your movies, they feel beaten up. They feel stupid and afraid to do what’s right. They feel like they have to trade in their dignity and value and beauty as Women with a Capital W in order to appease men like the ones who make your movies, and men like the ones who buy the tickets. They feel a little bit more alone and unprotected. They feel scared.

They want to do what’s right and the Entertainers, the High Priests of their particular culture, are telling them to do what’s wrong. It’s about as uplifting as a girl coming down the stairs in a beautiful dress, and her daddy telling her to go upstairs and change into something sluttier.

It’s a catch-22. Every woman wants to be the sort of woman worth sacrificing for, worth fighting for, worth dying for. The sort of woman whose life and well-being a man might well value far above his own. And this isn’t a bad thing—it’s part of the glory of womanhood. It’s part of how God made us to play out the mystery of Christ and His Bride.

So women look around, and they see the women that men seem to value, and they try to become those women. They try to become women like you.

But a hard, mean, manly woman is difficult for a real man to care for. Most real women, when they make themselves ugly the way you all are ugly, don’t have a million dollar budget to pretty themselves back up. And most men, as a rule, don’t much like themselves. Not as much as we pretend to. We certainly don’t feel very inspired to fight for a woman trying her best to be just like us. She’s worth dying for used to mean something. If there’s nothing precious or exalted about women, why should men bother?

So:

Men lie to themselves and women about the sort of women they want. Women are gullible and believe the lie and become the women they think men want. Then men reject them because men never wanted those sorts of women in the first place.

And men do reject them. Look at the divorce statistics, look at the TV shows and books and articles by women desperately wondering why it’s so hard to hold on to a man. That’s a bigger problem than the purview of this letter, but you fictional female warriors are part of it.

So stop it. I’m nobody’s idea of Prince Charming, but let me do my little part to rescue you from yourselves.

And if there are any men that happen to be reading this, c’mon dudes. Tell your entertainers that you want them to show us the worth of women. Do that with your money and your time and the things you give yourself to.

Protect your wives and mothers and daughters and sisters. Honor them. Make them feel special. Fight to restore their dignity. When you see them trying to be like the ladies in those movies, tell them no. Tell them that isn’t what you want. Tell them that’s never what you wanted.

And if there are any non-fictional non-warrior ladies reading this, don’t be afraid to honor God in how you live your life and how you express your sexuality. The Creator of the Universe, the One who made you a woman, will call you blessed, even if nobody else does. And there are plenty of men out there who want to honor you, even if we are bumbling morons about it much of the time. God forgive us for letting you ever feel afraid to be what God made you to be.

That’s all. Thanks for reading, ladies. Rey, don’t make me regret buying a ticket to Episode VIII. I think you should choose Poe over Finn. Unless of course…but that’s another open letter. See you gals in the movies!

Your pal,

Nathan

P.S: I almost forgot, I said your brand of empowerment made for bad storytelling. Why? Because if Keira Knightley can fight off dozens of undead pirates by herself, who cares if Whatshisface makes it there in time? Where’s the suspense?

Good stories—not Dostoevsky (yuck) but good old-fashioned American action and suspense stories—need a good guy and a bad guy, generally evenly matched. But if they’re evenly matched, you need someone for the bad guy to threaten and intimidate, someone not evenly matched. Which it makes sense would be The Girl.

Not because we men think all y’all women are helpless, spineless prizes-to-be-won. But because good drama comes from human nature. The bad guy goes after the girl because that’s what bad guys do. They exploit vulnerability. And good guys defend and honor what is weak.

The moral of every Tarzan story was not that Jane was a discredit to her sex because she needed Tarzan to save her for the four hundredth time. The moral was that Tarzan was lucky to have the privilege. Jane was a girl worth saving. Every man should be so lucky.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What's fascinating people things like this
Apr 19th 2016
Yo this last line killed me BigReg
Apr 19th 2016
Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero on twitter)...
Apr 19th 2016
I remember watching a White House correspondence...
Apr 19th 2016
      It's incredible how skilled the guy is.
Apr 20th 2016
           he's not good, but he has a captive audience
Apr 20th 2016
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apr 20th 2016
                I'm not going to overstate his importance.
Apr 20th 2016
you gotta think about who's been doing most of the maligning
Apr 19th 2016
yup, Gamergate changed my entire view on shit like this n/m
Apr 20th 2016
Lol
Apr 24th 2016
I say this with mad respect to everyone here...
Apr 19th 2016
I was through reading before I ever started lol
Apr 19th 2016
I didn't read it in full....
Apr 20th 2016
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apr 21st 2016
fuck that
Apr 21st 2016
      Lol, it's hilarious how myopic you are.
Apr 22nd 2016
           you don't know what myopic means.
Apr 27th 2016
                Bwahahahah
Apr 28th 2016
                     I read all of that! glad I could help
May 05th 2016
                          Thanks!
May 06th 2016
Yeah, i didn't read at all
Apr 20th 2016
as long as I don't click on the link I like to know how idiots think n/m
Apr 21st 2016
When I saw someone post the link on FB
Apr 24th 2016
Y'all have to see it for what it is- western masculinity is dead.
Apr 20th 2016
Yeah
Apr 21st 2016
      question:
Apr 27th 2016
      I'm just seeing this and Soul Honky's reply. I'll be back with more.
May 05th 2016
           RE: I'm just seeing this and Soul Honky's reply. I'll be back with more.
May 07th 2016
      Bond/Iron Man are almost the antithesis John Wayne
Apr 28th 2016
TL;DR but almost all of the named characters were created by men
Apr 20th 2016
lol, like he would ever consider challenging men who exist
Apr 20th 2016
yeah, i'm TOTALLY reading all this
Apr 21st 2016
This statement sums up everything you need to know
Apr 21st 2016
And another thing...
Apr 21st 2016
I want to see him locked in a cage with The Rock for an hour.
Apr 22nd 2016
lock him in a cage with a woman for an hour
Apr 24th 2016
A well read feminist
Apr 24th 2016
He's too convinced of his male superiority for that to work
Apr 27th 2016
Dude probably couldn't even get a 3-count out of Chyna.
Apr 29th 2016
      right today
Apr 30th 2016

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 04:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "What's fascinating people things like this"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-19-16 04:04 PM by BigReg

is it makes me think how unfairly maligned the bro alpha male stereotype is.

Like I used to think racist, homophobic sexists asssholes were the general result of the alpha male behavior you see in those types of circles.
Instead you've got the seemingly more intellectual types; well read, personality glasses, seemingly more worldly sprouting the same bullshit.

And at least the old guard was proud of whatever -ism's they had and didn't feel the need to explain themselves; crack a little racist joke with a wink thinking you just don't get it. talking crassly about a girls 'tits' to her face is just flirting, etc.

These new wave niggas tho, will write a 1,000 word paper with their own fucked up receipts trying to rationalize their bullshit, and will honestly think you're stupid for not getting it.

bwood
8613 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yo this last line killed me BigReg"
In response to Reply # 1

>
>These new wave niggas tho, will write a 1,000 word paper with
>their own fucked up receipts trying to rationalize their
>bullshit, and will honestly think you're stupid for not
>getting it.
>

I looked this pussy up on Twitter and yo he looks like a 30 year old child molester.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 04:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Milo Yiannopoulos (@Nero on twitter)..."
In response to Reply # 1

is the king of this new shitty archetype.

Vox had a great writeup on the uptick in this mentality:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/4/11355876/milo-yiannopoulos

bwood
8613 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 04:29 PM

4. "I remember watching a White House correspondence..."
In response to Reply # 3

...where he actively bitched and moaned about having his Twitter verification taken away and how he felt his freedom of speech is being compromised.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "It's incredible how skilled the guy is."
In response to Reply # 4

Such scum of the earth, but I can't help but shake my head at how good he is at what he does.

The article touches upon his verification:

In early January, Twitter revoked his "blue checkmark" verification — a special status given to celebrities and public figures designed to prevent impersonation. Twitter did this, it said, because he violated its rules (though it didn't specify what he did, exactly).

Yiannopoulos took this as a declaration of war against conservatives on Twitter, rallying his followers to protest under the hashtag "#JeSuisMilo." The implicit comparison to the Charlie Hebdo shootings — where people actually died — underscores the absurd self-seriousness behind the trolly veneer.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "he's not good, but he has a captive audience"
In response to Reply # 10

all the people no one else wants. it's a decent chunk of folks and they have plenty of time to post.

his trolling is b-level stuff at best, and I wasn't at all surprised to find out he's powered by interns.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

bwood
8613 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 11:35 AM

16. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 15

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 01:14 PM

17. "I'm not going to overstate his importance."
In response to Reply # 15

And I basically agree with you.

But like it or not, this is the cultural blowback we're seeing from being "politically correct" that Donald Trump is feeding into. It may or may not be a "fringe" sentiment now, but that contingent is growing day by day. Just look at how toxic the Harriet-Tubman-on-the-$20-bill discussion is already.

That said, yes, he is very good at what he does. He, like Trump, is at the right place at the right time to take advantage of the anti-progressive sentiment. Earlier this year he basically launched a white privilege scholarship grant:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/entrepreneur-milo-yiannopoulos-defends-his-new-university-grant-available-only-white-men-1539619

It's funny to laugh at and dismiss, but this is exactly the sentiment that a certain contingent LOVE (see: Donald Trump). Milo is a poster boy for the movement, but the fact that he exists (and is thriving) is what is more notable rather than whether or not he's "b-level" trolling.

As far as interns... sure? What major social media presence isn't in part fueled by interns? Also it was via a report from Buzzfeed so... not sure how that's relevant here.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 06:47 PM

5. "you gotta think about who's been doing most of the maligning"
In response to Reply # 1

>is it makes me think how unfairly maligned the bro alpha male
>stereotype is.
>

its the same beta ass niggas that been writing this shit. they just realized that it was never the bro alpha males they should be mad about. so they redirected it to the next target of their misfortune in life. women.

<--- Big Baller World Order

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:11 AM

11. "yup, Gamergate changed my entire view on shit like this n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 09:21 PM

28. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 1

No new nice guys
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 06:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I say this with mad respect to everyone here..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you came across and article entitled "An Open Letter the Rey From Star Wars" and it was even a fraction of the length this article was and gave any fucks about it, I'm judging you

Fuck this guy, but come on. Y'all even gave this shit a chance!?

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Tue Apr-19-16 08:14 PM

7. "I was through reading before I ever started lol"
In response to Reply # 6

nooooooope

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 08:49 AM

8. "I didn't read it in full...."
In response to Reply # 6

but god forbid someone tries to understand someone else's perspective. There's a wide, wide gulf of comprehension between "reading to understand" and "giving this shit a chance".

What a cop out response.

bwood
8613 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 10:41 AM

20. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 07:01 PM

24. "fuck that "
In response to Reply # 8

there's nothing original here.

it's all copied thoughts that have been expressed before.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri Apr-22-16 10:06 AM

25. "Lol, it's hilarious how myopic you are."
In response to Reply # 24

On a topic that we should, and do, agree on, you still find some way to try and disagree with me on some nitpicky nonsense.

No one's claiming this is some new viewpoint. You're arguing a strawman. Like BigReg put it so well in the very first post, the misogyny is old hat, but the way it's being conveyed is new. There's a wave of intellectual, anti-progressive pride that accompanies the counterculture sentiment.

By focusing on how lame the writer is, you're missing the forest for the leaves.

Par for the course, naturally.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed Apr-27-16 06:35 PM

33. "you don't know what myopic means."
In response to Reply # 25

like his thread, I'm not reading the rest.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 08:40 AM

34. "Bwahahahah"
In response to Reply # 33

I was waiting for this. Thanks, this made my whole day brighter.

The "I didn't read all that" excuse has gotta be one of your best ones.

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu May-05-16 11:00 PM

39. "I read all of that! glad I could help"
In response to Reply # 34

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Fri May-06-16 11:05 AM

40. "Thanks! "
In response to Reply # 39

Just another in the long line of posts where you get slammed on the actual topic, and can't mount a real rebuttal. You constantly stay on the wrong side of facts whenever you reply to me.

So you resort to the dodge, dip, dive duck and dodge. No matter what though, you're just gonna get hit in the balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRflOfRDSvY

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:20 AM

12. "Yeah, i didn't read at all"
In response to Reply # 6

....then I looked at the place that "published" it, and could care even less

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 10:11 AM

19. "as long as I don't click on the link I like to know how idiots think n/m"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Apr-21-16 10:15 AM by pretentious username

>If you came across and article entitled "An Open Letter the
>Rey From Star Wars" and it was even a fraction of the length
>this article was and gave any fucks about it, I'm judging you
>
>Fuck this guy, but come on. Y'all even gave this shit a
>chance!?

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 09:37 PM

30. "When I saw someone post the link on FB"
In response to Reply # 6

I said, nigga cmon and didn't even click it.
Curiosity got the best of me so I went back and read it. Yeah I should of went with my gut the first time around.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 08:50 AM

9. "Y'all have to see it for what it is- western masculinity is dead."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-20-16 08:50 AM by Castro

White men for generations have willingly accepted the Wife plus two kids and a dog formula with them at the head of it...but the reality of the world undid it.

It started dying in the 80's with the ascent of Ronald Reagan to the White House and his near assassination at the hand of his wimpy #2, GHWB, and then add on Rock Hudson being pulled out of the closet after dying from AIDS. It wasn't that non hetero men hadn't acquired power or notoriety before this age, it was public nature of say, a Boy George that set about transforming things. Along with this was the rise of the Women this mouth breather is wringing his hands about...

I'm glad that these folks are brazen enough to come out of the shadows and share there bigotry and misogyny- makes it easier to do the work of moving past it.

------------------
One Hundred.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 01:14 PM

22. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu Apr-21-16 01:15 PM by obsidianchrysalis

The image of John Wayne and those tough guy action heroes are all but dead. The closest modern equivalent might be James Bond or Iron Man. but the recent Bond has had emotional and familial issues shown in the movies and Iron Man might be an American version of that, but he hides his masculinity in a suit and armor and has given up his days of casual sex.

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are action heroes, but James Bourne is anti-social and asexual and Batman would be given some type of DSM-VI diagnosis if a real-life Batman existed.

Modern signs of young, adult masculinity in movies are all but dead.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Wed Apr-27-16 01:07 PM

31. "question:"
In response to Reply # 22

>The image of John Wayne and those tough guy action heroes are
>all but dead. The closest modern equivalent might be James
>Bond or Iron Man. but the recent Bond has had emotional and
>familial issues shown in the movies and Iron Man might be an
>American version of that, but he hides his masculinity in a
>suit and armor and has given up his days of casual sex.

why is it that you place being emotional and being masculine as opposites? and why do you equate casual sex with masculinity? your tough guy action hero archetype was VERY emotional. violence itself is one of the most emotional things there is...

>Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are action heroes, but James Bourne
>is anti-social and asexual and Batman would be given some type
>of DSM-VI diagnosis if a real-life Batman existed.

but yet, they were both action heroes...strong and masculine. so no, your archetype has not gone anywhere.

>Modern signs of young, adult masculinity in movies are all but
>dead.

not true. you just define masculinity in the most limiting and narrow way possible. that's on you.

d

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu May-05-16 10:24 PM

38. "I'm just seeing this and Soul Honky's reply. I'll be back with more."
In response to Reply # 31

>>The image of John Wayne and those tough guy action heroes
>are
>>all but dead. The closest modern equivalent might be James
>>Bond or Iron Man. but the recent Bond has had emotional and
>>familial issues shown in the movies and Iron Man might be an
>>American version of that, but he hides his masculinity in a
>>suit and armor and has given up his days of casual sex.
>
>why is it that you place being emotional and being masculine
>as opposites? and why do you equate casual sex with
>masculinity? your tough guy action hero archetype was VERY
>emotional. violence itself is one of the most emotional
>things there is...
>

I started to write that while there are role models for men being more vulnerable and open with their expression of genuine love and sympathy, those values aren't held by
>>Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are action heroes, but James
>Bourne
>>is anti-social and asexual and Batman would be given some
>type
>>of DSM-VI diagnosis if a real-life Batman existed.
>
>but yet, they were both action heroes...strong and masculine.
>so no, your archetype has not gone anywhere.
>
>>Modern signs of young, adult masculinity in movies are all
>but
>>dead.
>
>not true. you just define masculinity in the most limiting and
>narrow way possible. that's on you.
>
>d

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Sat May-07-16 10:53 PM

41. "RE: I'm just seeing this and Soul Honky's reply. I'll be back with more."
In response to Reply # 38

I read both of your comments and for the most part we agree. I just used poor language.

I, personally, don't think that masculinity and emotional sensitivity and vulnerability are mutually exclusive and agree that masculinity ought to include images that show an ability to physically strong and powerful while being emotionally flexible and supportive to loved ones.

While James Bond (or Iron Man) and John Wayne (or Batman) are at the opposite ends of the spectrum of sexual charisma, they both are old or 'traditional' ideals of masculinity and don't mirror the dynamic of an honest tension between being vulnerable and the need to project power and strength.

Movies ought to reflect life and there are many men in the world who are physically powerful and command respect and are calm, reassuring, emotionally supportive and well-adjusted men, but for some reason movies featuring those types of characters aren't being made.

Like most aspects of sexuality, few people are on the poles and everyone else is in-between. Movies seem to me to be as much about defining images in culture as much as they are about being able to relate to the characters. (just my take) The types of characters and motivations of characters in movies seem to be more complex and realistic then they have been in the past. It helps make them more interesting, but also more relatable.

Maybe as society becomes more inclusive and honest and open about people's emotional and physical vulnerabilities, movies will reflect that same growing awareness in the types of characters Hollywood makes movies around.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Apr-28-16 09:37 AM

35. "Bond/Iron Man are almost the antithesis John Wayne"
In response to Reply # 22
Thu Apr-28-16 09:38 AM by SoulHonky

>The image of John Wayne and those tough guy action heroes are
>all but dead. The closest modern equivalent might be James
>Bond or Iron Man. but the recent Bond has had emotional and
>familial issues shown in the movies and Iron Man might be an
>American version of that, but he hides his masculinity in a
>suit and armor and has given up his days of casual sex.

You're mixing up your images of masculinity. The "John Wayne" image of a man is a far cry from James Bond. He didn't have casual sex. He wasn't a wise ass. He was the speak softly and carry a big stick and Be Chivalrous masculinity who was opposed to the playboy lifestyle.

If anything, Jason Bourne is a throwback to John Wayne. Also, how is Bourne asexual? He has a very important love story in the first two movies and then falls for a new girl in the third.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:49 AM

13. "TL;DR but almost all of the named characters were created by men"
In response to Reply # 0

Shouldn't he be writing an open letter to George Miller, Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams, etc. and complaining about them being traitors to masculinity? Or would that go too far for his trolling?

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Wed Apr-20-16 09:57 AM

14. "lol, like he would ever consider challenging men who exist"
In response to Reply # 13

when instead he can write a thinkpiece about fictional women

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 06:47 AM

18. "yeah, i'm TOTALLY reading all this"
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
8747 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 01:02 PM

21. "This statement sums up everything you need to know"
In response to Reply # 0

>Movies and TV were a big part of how I learned who women were. And they lied to me.

SMH

No, the women who made the movies didn't lie to you, the MEN making those unrealistic depictions of women lied to you.

I wonder WTH he made of Monster or Basic Instinct.

IJUSSWANNACHiLL
Member since Aug 16th 2003
726 posts
Thu Apr-21-16 05:15 PM

23. "And another thing..."
In response to Reply # 21

what kind of idiot learns about how women, or anyone for that matter, are "supposed" to be from fictional TV/Movies?

This socially akward, sheltered guy probably has no contact from women other than his immediate family.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Fri Apr-22-16 08:47 PM

26. "I want to see him locked in a cage with The Rock for an hour."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-22-16 08:51 PM by Cold Truth

Not a UFC cage with rules and a ref.

Just the two of them locked in a cage for about an hour with full immunity.

Once that cage is locked?

The Rock hands out an endless stream of titty twisters, wedgies, skin burns, hair touseling, charlie horses, two for flinching, and all manner of juvenile bullying would ensue.

The Rock would call him all kinds of nerds, dweebs, dorks, spazes, losers and every other childish insult he could muster.

The Rock would take his milk and pour it over his head, spit a thick layer of mucus into his food and make him eat it.

Once that timer goes off and the door unlocks? The Rock would kick him square in the nutts and dip.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 07:03 PM

27. "lock him in a cage with a woman for an hour"
In response to Reply # 26
Sun Apr-24-16 07:03 PM by justin_scott

that would be far scarier and uncomfortable for him.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Sun Apr-24-16 09:22 PM

29. "A well read feminist"
In response to Reply # 27

Who's watched the same movies read the same books
Oh the humanity
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Wed Apr-27-16 04:48 PM

32. "He's too convinced of his male superiority for that to work"
In response to Reply # 27

He needs an alpha male to smack him around and demonstrate that he's a limp-wristed pussy because he's a limp-wristed pussy, not because there are badass women in movies.

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Apr-29-16 10:02 AM

36. "Dude probably couldn't even get a 3-count out of Chyna."
In response to Reply # 26

))<>((
forever.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Apr-30-16 06:00 PM

37. "right today"
In response to Reply # 36

too soon?

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #711001 Previous topic | Next topic