Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #710208

Subject: "Everybody Wants Some!! (Linklater, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Wed Mar-30-16 07:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Everybody Wants Some!! (Linklater, 2016)"

Yep, he done done it again. Just one of the great voices in American cinema dropping another gem casually into theaters this late March.

I knew nothing going into this. Neither should you, if you don't already. Just go in fresh, knowing you're in Richard Linklater's assured hands, and prepare for a great time.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
really? trailer looked awful
Mar 31st 2016
the dazed and confused trailer was pretty bad too
Mar 31st 2016
I can post some links to some reviews I agree with in a few.
Mar 31st 2016
Does fit the "spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused" description?
Mar 31st 2016
... it's similar, but it's different.
Mar 31st 2016
      I thought that made perfect sense
Mar 31st 2016
Solid, fun movie.
Apr 08th 2016
this shit was awful
Jul 27th 2016
It wasnt as well executed as Dazed
Jul 27th 2016
      Daze is about something
Jul 28th 2016
      The characters in Dazed had goals or conflict.
Jul 28th 2016
           Ionno they are the same Dazed was juts pulled off way better
Aug 01st 2016
                RE: Ionno they are the same Dazed was juts pulled off way better
Aug 01st 2016
                they never showed his conflict with being the typical ball player
Aug 01st 2016
                     Exactly. Pink showed a lot more conflict in Dazed.
Aug 01st 2016
                     Then you never watched the movie
Aug 01st 2016
It was good.
Jul 28th 2016

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 12:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "really? trailer looked awful"
In response to Reply # 0

and I like Dazed and Confused.

--------

THRILLHOUSE
Member since Oct 26th 2007
3655 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "the dazed and confused trailer was pretty bad too"
In response to Reply # 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJu4be6O2c

So I'm not gonna read too much into the Everybody Wants Some trailer. At this point I just trust Linklater will come through.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 12:35 PM

4. "I can post some links to some reviews I agree with in a few."
In response to Reply # 1

But if you dig Linklater, this is absolutely peak form Linklater IMO.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 01:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Does fit the "spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused" description?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dazed is an all time favorite so if he managed to bottle some of that up and pour it out over this, I'm in like a motherfucker.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 12:41 PM

5. "... it's similar, but it's different."
In response to Reply # 2

Which makes no sense, I'm aware.

The characters are all different, obviously. But it still has that sprawling feel, that ability to immediately capture a ton of memorable characters quickly, that warm sense of nostalgia, and that absolute perfect tone that captures what it's like to be young.

So mileage may vary depending on how you enjoy the characters... but I loved Dazed, and I loved this. I feel like they're different chapters in an anthology collection of stories with similar tones... if that makes any sense at all.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Thu Mar-31-16 01:28 PM

6. "I thought that made perfect sense"
In response to Reply # 5

I have a high affection for Dazed so I’m geeked for this.

I’m certainly not expected a Dazed ‘sequel’ but I do like the notion of approaching the 80’s with a similar and seemingly contradicting blend of reverence and cynicism.

Looking at what he did with the Before movies I can only hope he’s already pondering a similar take on the 90’s in 20 years, if not sooner, and complete that trilogy.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Fri Apr-08-16 12:29 PM

7. "Solid, fun movie."
In response to Reply # 0

The movie definitely suffers from being compared to Dazed and Confused but it's still a fun, slice of life film. I think the lack of story is the main reason it pales in comparison to Dazed and there's also a lack of any female perspective at all.

I'll definitely check it again when it comes out on DVD/streaming but it's not necessarily a film that I think people NEED to see in the theaters. Although hearing My Sharona banging in a movie theater sound system is always welcome.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 01:15 PM

8. "this shit was awful"
In response to Reply # 0

a bunch of great characters and no fucking story at all. I was falling asleep by the time the love interest comes into play. Really wanted to like this one. Some good dialogue and great characters but that is it. This was just partying and chasing tail for 3/4's of the movie.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20758 posts
Wed Jul-27-16 08:16 PM

9. "It wasnt as well executed as Dazed"
In response to Reply # 8

cause both movies have no story lol

RobOne4
56697 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 01:31 AM

10. "Daze is about something"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu Jul-28-16 01:36 AM by RobOne4

Its a coming of age story. This movie was just party, try and get laid, party try and get laid, party try and get laid. Practice. Love interest party try and get laid. End. There was no growth. There was nothing. Dazed and Confused would be similar if the entire movie would have taken place at the moon tower and nothing else happened. Dazed also took place in one day. Movie starts at the end of the school day and ends early the next morning when they are on their way to get Aerosmith tickets. This movie was several days but they did the same shit for all 2 or 3 days. Did they really need to devote that much time to them partying and trying to get laid after the 3rd day in a row of doing it?

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 10:25 AM

11. "The characters in Dazed had goals or conflict. "
In response to Reply # 9

There's the pledge not to drink that Pink won't sign.

There's the nerds wanting to go out and live life; not get picked on.

Hell, just avoiding O'Banion (or whatever Affleck's character was named) was more motivation than anyone in this flick.

I enjoyed it as a a slice of life flick but can't argue with people who didn't like it. It's like "Let's watch a bunch of guys in a situation where it shouldn't be hard for them to get laid try to get laid."

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Heinz
20758 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 09:04 AM

13. "Ionno they are the same Dazed was juts pulled off way better"
In response to Reply # 11

But theres really no story in either movie those events are just things happening. But i can totally see why people won't like this movie as theres not enough meat to bite into with this one. The common thread amongst both movies was all the characters wanting to avoid their inevitable fates.

There was just less events and less variety of main characters in this movie than there was in Dazed which was my biggest problem. It was mostly focused on Jake's story. It was almost as if they had less of a budget in 2016 than they did in 1993 LOL. It felt unfinished.

This movie had goals and conflict. Jake was the only character tho who had goals/conflict which is why i wished there were more characters to focus on who had their own problems. He was conflicted of being the typical baseball player his other freshmen players wanted to be who would turn into the type of guys he was surrounded by. He clearly was different and didn't want to. He was the one who ends up with a girlfriend not just a chick he was trying to bone. They ended it off a bit weird where they are in class and he kinda of comes off as a slacker as he falls a sleep or maybe he was just super tired from being up all night with his new girl.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 09:13 AM

14. "RE: Ionno they are the same Dazed was juts pulled off way better"
In response to Reply # 13

>But theres really no story in either movie those events are
>just things happening. But i can totally see why people won't
>like this movie as theres not enough meat to bite into with
>this one. The common thread amongst both movies was all the
>characters wanting to avoid their inevitable fates.
>
>There was just less events and less variety of main characters
>in this movie than there was in Dazed which was my biggest
>problem. It was mostly focused on Jake's story. It was almost
>as if they had less of a budget in 2016 than they did in 1993
>LOL. It felt unfinished.
>
>This movie had goals and conflict. Jake was the only character
>tho who had goals/conflict which is why i wished there were
>more characters to focus on who had their own problems. He
>was conflicted of being the typical baseball player his other
>freshmen players wanted to be who would turn into the type of
>guys he was surrounded by. He clearly was different and didn't
>want to. He was the one who ends up with a girlfriend not just
>a chick he was trying to bone. They ended it off a bit weird
>where they are in class and he kinda of comes off as a slacker
>as he falls a sleep or maybe he was just super tired from
>being up all night with his new girl.
>

I agree with your assess and that he was trying to find his identity throughout. Him falling asleep to awaken to his future later was akin to the Dazed kids driving off for Aerosmith tickets imo.

RobOne4
56697 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 01:10 PM

15. "they never showed his conflict with being the typical ball player"
In response to Reply # 13

he was happy as shit partying and trying to bone random chicks. He showed no hesitation at all. He was trying to get his roommate to give him the room. Then at the country bar he was striking out. Not one time during those first few nights of partying does he show he wants more or something else. Then the girl comes into play and all of a sudden he wants something different?

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 01:44 PM

16. "Exactly. Pink showed a lot more conflict in Dazed."
In response to Reply # 15

And the other players had fun at the theater party so it's not like he was THAT different.

I enjoyed the movie but I think it's downplaying the conflicts in Dazed to say this film has the same level.

----

Heinz
20758 posts
Mon Aug-01-16 07:33 PM

17. "Then you never watched the movie"
In response to Reply # 15

If you rewatch it and pay attention to the questions he keeps having in convos with guys like

Finn - At the punk concert he full out says "I'm having an identity crisis here......it sort of begs to question of who we really are....it just seems a little phoney"

Justin - The punk kid who was his former teammate who was probably "normal" before and has apparently found his way. Justin is doing the same, maybe not as drastic but who the perception of the "baseball guys" is not something he's too keen on.

Plumm - Right before they meet Justin all 4 of those guys are talking about all the other students at the school and why were they there? They knew THEY were there for baseball..but what were the goals of these other students? To me it was more of a convo of what if baseball doesnt work out do we become like these other guys?

even Jake's convos with the old smoking pitcher guy who turned out to not even be a student was asking why there was such a bitterness from the position players to the pitchers. That was a whole identity crisis convo that he was the only one who saw himself as equals as everyone else and was wondering why he was the only one who thought that.

Theres tons of little convos throughout the whole movie like this. Yeah Jake was still partying and trying to get laid (he's still a fucking teenager guys, c'mon), but he was clearly the only one with the most self awareness of the changes around him and who he was at the core.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Thu Jul-28-16 12:52 PM

12. "It was good. "
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #710208 Previous topic | Next topic