Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #708736

Subject: "Taboo (Tom Hardy, FX)" Previous topic | Next topic
SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Taboo (Tom Hardy, FX)"

Tom Hardy with a welcome return to enunciating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9QvSry2-CM

The music at the end of the trailer really destroys the mood (I half expected Blade to show up) but a nice trailer for the miniseries that is Hardy's brainchild with his father (that sounds grosser than intended.)

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
watching because Tom Hardy shirtless
Feb 26th 2016
first episode was cool. Shit looks like it's gonna get GOOD!
Jan 09th 2017
I thought it premiered tonight...where'd you watch it?
Jan 10th 2017
      it leaked on the interwebs over the weekend.
Jan 10th 2017
Nice.. looks like Oona Chaplin is in this.
Jan 10th 2017
'Twas fire. I'm all in
Jan 11th 2017
Solid pilot...eagerly anticipating Hardy's Beast Mode in future eps
Jan 11th 2017
Spoiler I suppose
Jan 27th 2017
RE: Spoiler I suppose
Jan 27th 2017
is Winter..
Jan 30th 2017
So we were thinking she wasn't real at first
Jan 30th 2017
      I'm still leaning towards no
Jan 30th 2017
           So now, we still thinking she's not real?
Feb 15th 2017
                I was wondering if she was myself...
Feb 15th 2017
                     Did you see episode 6?
Feb 16th 2017
                          I did, yeah.
Feb 16th 2017
                               Yea I figured as much, I was trynna talk around it without spoiling it f...
Feb 17th 2017
show us violent as hell
Jan 31st 2017
Finally caught up, glad I can poke in this thread now.
Feb 14th 2017
I hope they stick this landing.
Feb 16th 2017
RE: I hope they stick this landing.
Feb 27th 2017
      Its a BBCone and FX co-production
Feb 27th 2017
yeah , this is another one we're into now...
Feb 20th 2017
what a dope ending to ep 7
Feb 23rd 2017
SPOILER QUESTION
Feb 27th 2017
His sister
Feb 27th 2017
      Thank you.
Feb 27th 2017
           It was never actually stated its heavily inferred
Feb 27th 2017
                Not sure why I never really put that together
Feb 28th 2017
Be wary of Google/Spoilers - Finale aired in UK already
Feb 27th 2017
Pretty interesting ending.
Mar 06th 2017
Fun ending, although one vague gripe...
Mar 14th 2017
not bad...
Mar 16th 2017

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Fri Feb-26-16 02:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "watching because Tom Hardy shirtless"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3555 posts
Mon Jan-09-17 10:28 PM

2. "first episode was cool. Shit looks like it's gonna get GOOD!"
In response to Reply # 0

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 09:33 AM

3. "I thought it premiered tonight...where'd you watch it?"
In response to Reply # 2

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "it leaked on the interwebs over the weekend."
In response to Reply # 3

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Jan-10-17 02:53 PM

5. "Nice.. looks like Oona Chaplin is in this."
In response to Reply # 0

Haven't seen her in anything since the Red Wedding episode of GoT.

Gonna check it out.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Wed Jan-11-17 01:54 AM

6. "'Twas fire. I'm all in"
In response to Reply # 0

caught 3 Game of Throners from the jump lol

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Jan-11-17 11:08 AM

7. "Solid pilot...eagerly anticipating Hardy's Beast Mode in future eps "
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 11:38 AM

8. "Spoiler I suppose"
In response to Reply # 0

after watching the most recent episode, what kind of relationship does Hardy's character have with the Oona Chaplin character? I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the title of the show after all. Also, I am suffering trying to keep up with the dialog on this show because for some reason my Sling app doesn't offer closed captioning for some reason.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Jan-27-17 03:00 PM

9. "RE: Spoiler I suppose"
In response to Reply # 8

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>after watching the most recent episode, what kind of
>relationship does Hardy's character have with the Oona Chaplin
>character?

Sounds incestuous at best (or hopefully at worst)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the title of
>the show after all. Also, I am suffering trying to keep up
>with the dialog on this show because for some reason my Sling
>app doesn't offer closed captioning for some reason.

Some scenes are really hard to decipher. I might start using subtitles but I think the text might be difficult for me to follow too.

Hardy actin his ass off tho...the cinematography & music is keeping my interest too

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 04:27 AM

10. "is Winter.."
In response to Reply # 0

real?

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 11:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "So we were thinking she wasn't real at first"
In response to Reply # 10

Then the conversation with the whore house manager, where she basically agreed to the fact that WInter was hers.

Now is Winter alive at this point, or not we're not sure. If so then yea she's just this weird specter of a girl who manages to glide in and out. The delivery of the Silver Tooth from the Malay sort of led me to believe she was real.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Mon Jan-30-17 02:06 PM

12. "I'm still leaning towards no"
In response to Reply # 11

because so far we've only seen her interact with Delaney (those other kids don't count because they've only interacted with her) I was wondering how she got in the basement, but the ward guy (can't remember his name) told him, if he thinks the guy boarding up the house will protect him, know that he is easily distracted buy whores. Still, i'm not sure that necessarily means her. I think the tooth could just be him finding it in his pocket and his mind doing what it does. Plus Winter has that numb way of speaking, the same way he does.

Dae021
39375 posts
Wed Feb-15-17 09:57 AM

15. "So now, we still thinking she's not real?"
In response to Reply # 12

I'm leaning more towards her being real now

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Wed Feb-15-17 11:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I was wondering if she was myself..."
In response to Reply # 15

... until the most recent episode where she interacted with Lorna Bow.

I think those posts were before that episode.

She's slippery as hell though, there's definitely something weird with her.

Dae021
39375 posts
Thu Feb-16-17 01:54 PM

18. "Did you see episode 6?"
In response to Reply # 16

I think its definitive

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Thu Feb-16-17 03:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "I did, yeah."
In response to Reply # 18

I was referring to the fact that I was wondering the same thing as you two in the early episodes then the latest episode cemented the fact she's real - "... until the most recent episode where she interacted with Lorna Bow."

Dae021
39375 posts
Fri Feb-17-17 12:52 PM

20. "Yea I figured as much, I was trynna talk around it without spoiling it f..."
In response to Reply # 19

Folks who hadn't seen it all the way through.

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Jan-31-17 12:47 AM

13. "show us violent as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

But delivering an oddly sexy hardy

Damn this man
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Feb-14-17 11:17 AM

14. "Finally caught up, glad I can poke in this thread now."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-14-17 11:17 AM by wallysmith

Really digging the show... there's a definite Game of Thrones-y feel here in terms of motifs and intricacy (obviously not the setting). All the different players with hidden agendas is giving off the same vibes that we got from the machinations of Varys/Littlefinger/Tyrion/Cersei/etc. The influence of GoT is obvious but I dig how they're giving it their own spin. And just like GoT, there's a clear supernatural element but it creeps on the fringes and isn't a direct focus of the show.

In response to some posts above: unfortunately, captions are a must. You can't miss certain lines or you can miss a lot, especially with some of those accents or Hardy's mumbly mouth. There are other benefits too, like the capitalization of 'Company' when they're referring to East India men.

*spoilers from the last episode start here*

So Zilpha is his half sister right? While initially it's assumed they share the same father (due to the Nootka inheritance) is it now safe to think they share the same mother instead? There's a clear supernatural link between the two... but to what end, who knows, haha.

And while it's obvious East India doesn't want him dead because of his will, I'm a bit uncertain why America doesn't just continue to try to kill him (and they attempted to). He's alone when he's with Carlsbad and Dumbarton... maybe they're not aware of the will? A bit of an unfortunate logic loophole that I'm not sure they've addressed yet.

Other than that, pretty sweet show so far, I love the setting. Tom Hardy keeps knocking these roles out the park... pretty cool how it seems like he's going off the deep end this last episode with his stare (similar to Zilpha's?).

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Feb-16-17 01:26 PM

17. "I hope they stick this landing."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm very nervous that this is the episode where it jumped the shark but hoping they have a way to bring it all together. Honestly, I wish it didn't involve the supernatural stuff. That to me is the least interesting part of it. The Crown vs. East India vs. America vs. Delaney part is what has me hooked.

Well, okay, the acting is what has me hooked. Hardy and Pryce are amazing. Tom Hollander is killing it as usual. Michael Kelly is an actor who doesn't make drastic changes in his performances but still manages to disappear into whatever role he's in. He's the perfect time traveler because he just manages to fit into any era. I'm in love with Oona and Jessie Buckley.

Honestly, the only miscue was Mycroft Holmes in Klumps makeup was hard to take. Just find a fat British actor.

I'm very surprised that this is getting a worse response than The Night Manager, which I found to be a cliched, unimaginative spy story. The Night Manager moved faster and had a clearer hero which probably helped it, I guess.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:40 AM

24. "RE: I hope they stick this landing."
In response to Reply # 17

>I'm very surprised that this is getting a worse response than
>The Night Manager, which I found to be a cliched,
>unimaginative spy story. The Night Manager moved faster and
>had a clearer hero which probably helped it, I guess.

So this is getting poor ratings? That is sad to hear since I want to see the second season of this.

Also, is this a British show that FX bought the rights to or is this an outright American show? The reason I ask is because I can never bring myself to watching the show as it airs on Wednesday nights; I can't bring myself to staying up close to 11:30 as each episode ends. A minor detail, but I'm curious if this a BBC type show that actually runs close to a hour without the normal American commerical breaks and last for close to 90 minutes due to the addition of the American commercials or not. Hope that makese sense for folks reason this response.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Dae021
39375 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:27 AM

26. "Its a BBCone and FX co-production"
In response to Reply # 24

I would say it does have a decidedly BBC feel though. I feel like the differences between English dramas and CABLE american dramas are becoming less and less as American writers and show runners recognize the beauty of shorter show runs and the ability to tell a tighter story. Not always writing for the lowest common denominator.

Amc and FX in particular have done that (TWD notwithstanding)

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Feb-20-17 09:34 AM

21. "yeah , this is another one we're into now..."
In response to Reply # 0

right now Tabo & Legion are the two shows we're most focused on at the moment. we're both digging them both....very high quality satisfying product so far...

Luke Jensen
Member since Jan 28th 2007
277 posts
Thu Feb-23-17 11:42 PM

22. "what a dope ending to ep 7"
In response to Reply # 0

If they stick the finale this will probably be my favorite TV drama since True Detective season 1, imperfections and all.

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:36 AM

23. "SPOILER QUESTION"
In response to Reply # 0

Was is ever explained who the mother for Tom Hardy's son is on the show?

Dae021
39375 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:10 AM

25. "His sister"
In response to Reply # 23

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:28 AM

27. "Thank you."
In response to Reply # 25

Do you remember which episode that info was divulged? I want to run that episode back since I finally figured out how to get closed captioning to work with Sling on my Roku. Was it that scene when Hardy was spying on him in that barn?

Now I wonder how common is it that he has that incestuous relationship. The child doesn't look to be all that messed up for being born from such a union.

Dae021
39375 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 03:47 PM

28. "It was never actually stated its heavily inferred"
In response to Reply # 27

Its either episode 1 or 2.

Get out the room,

Situation Podemy love

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 03:46 PM

30. "Not sure why I never really put that together "
In response to Reply # 28

even though it seems kind of obvious looking back

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 03:55 PM

29. "Be wary of Google/Spoilers - Finale aired in UK already"
In response to Reply # 0

Had to quickly dodge some stories this morning.

----

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon Mar-06-17 01:12 PM

31. "Pretty interesting ending."
In response to Reply # 29

I'm curious how much of season two is a complete departure from the first season since so many of the main characters are now deceased. The show was renewed for a second season, correct?

SPOILER WARNING

I'm going to miss seeing Jonathan Pryce's delivery of the various four lettered words Taboo had him utter.

wallysmith
Charter member
7808 posts
Tue Mar-14-17 09:40 AM

32. "Fun ending, although one vague gripe..."
In response to Reply # 0

... everything worked out basically perfectly for Delaney. I was waiting for something to fall apart. Sure some people died but they were all fodder anyways (losing the doctor hurts though). Ship? Check. Powder? Check. Important people safe? Check. Absolved of Winter's guilt? Check. Revenge on East India Company? Check. Chichester's justice? Check. Honestly not sure why Strange had to die, especially in that jarring way. I was expecting that scroll to be a copy of Delaney and Godrey's testimonies on the Cornwallis (which I feel would have been better revenge on Strange than a quick death). Everything felt a bit too convenient... even the notion of Zilpha's death was an opening for Delaney since he's certain she's not dead. He always had the perfect response to every conflict, except for maybe thumbless dude who let his ship get blown up.

That said, I still dug the show. There's a number of ways they can go with it (Portugal?!?) and the immersive setting is outstanding.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Thu Mar-16-17 12:44 PM

33. "not bad..."
In response to Reply # 0

..solid casting, but the storyline is pretty thin (even with the numerous avenues available).

delaney appears to outwit his peers at every turn, but that gets old very quickly. should be interesting to see the pace of things in the americas.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #708736 Previous topic | Next topic