Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #705689

Subject: "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (David Yates, 2016)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (David Yates, 2016)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1devH5JP4

The David Yates movie everyone wants to see written by JK herself.

I hope this new trilogy is good.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yo! This new featurette got me excited.
Feb 01st 2016
First full trailer.
Apr 10th 2016
This new Comic Con trailer is even better
Jul 23rd 2016
Five movies. Over. Kill.
Oct 13th 2016
Damn.
Oct 16th 2016
Full review
Nov 12th 2016
rather enjoyable.
Nov 22nd 2016
Holy shit was this a bore fro start to finish.
Nov 26th 2016
Some cool elements, but this was not good
Nov 26th 2016
The epitome of an average movie.
Nov 28th 2016
I liked it
Jan 05th 2017

bwood
8614 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yo! This new featurette got me excited."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrp9wVO_74U

bwood
8614 posts
Sun Apr-10-16 10:43 PM

2. "First full trailer."
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/ViuDsy7yb8M

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Jul-23-16 04:57 PM

3. "This new Comic Con trailer is even better"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgQj7xcDJo

bwood
8614 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 05:15 PM

4. "Five movies. Over. Kill."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-13-16 05:16 PM by bwood

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-five-movies-1201888226/

The ever-expanding “Harry Potter” universe just got larger.

The “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” spinoff will be a five-film franchise, J.K. Rowling said at a Warner Bros. fan event in London on Thursday.

“I’m pretty sure that there are going to be five movies, now that I’ve been able to properly plot them out,” Rowling said at the Empire Theatre in London.

“We always knew that there would be more than one,” she said. Three “Fantastic Beasts” films were initially anticipated, with the last in the trilogy expected to come out in November 2020.

Rowling wrote the screenplay for “Fantastic Beasts,”which marks her first script.

“So I learned how to write a screenplay while writing a screenplay.” she added. “I wouldn’t recommend it.”

RELATED
Does the ‘Harry Potter’ Franchise Still Have Room for Growth?

The London event also drew stars Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Alison Sudol, and Dan Fogler, director David Yates, and producer David Heyman. Colin Farrell and Jon Voight, meanwhile, attended the fan event in Los Angeles. The global event was streamed via satellite to gatherings in New York, London, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, and Rome.

Oscar winner Redmayne stars as Newt Scamander in the films.

Warner Bros. Pictures had announced in August that a second movie in the “Fantastic Beasts” series was already in the works. Yates is also directing the sequel from a script by Rowling. Yates teased on Thursday that the second film will take place in another global capital city — not the upcoming pic’s New York City setting. “It will be very different,” Yates, who directed the final four “Harry Potter” films, added.

The second movie will be produced by Rowling, Heyman, Steve Kloves, and Lionel Wigram. Rowling’s agent, Neil Blair, Rick Senat, and Danny Cohen will serve as executive producers.

Following Rowling’s revelation about the five films, attendees at the fan event were shown footage from the first 10 minutes of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” which opens with investigators tracking the unseen beasts in the countryside, followed by a variety of headlines from 1926 papers and references to the dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald.

The first sequence shows Redmayne telling the creatures in his briefcase to “settle down” as he’s about to go through U.S. customs. That’s followed by a scene where Farrell surveys an area that’s been devastated by the beasts. Redmayne then encounters anti-beast forces holding a rally while one of the animals escapes from the briefcase. Fogler, who appears to provide the comic relief, is later seen trying to stuff himself into the briefcase.

Redmayne said Scamander is “incredible passionate” in an answer to a fan question. He also acknowledged that the success of the “Harry Potter” franchise has created high expectations.

“I feel an incredible amount of pressure,” he added

Yates also said the upcoming “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” which hits theater on Nov. 18, will feature a cameo by a young Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grendelwald — characters from the original “Harry Potter” movies.

The second installment is slated for worldwide release on Nov. 16, 2018.

Watch a stream of the event below.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Oct-16-16 11:52 AM

5. "Damn. "
In response to Reply # 4

A trilogy was already pushing it for me, but 5 is just crazy. Then again, if they are good...

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

bwood
8614 posts
Sat Nov-12-16 11:22 PM

6. "Full review"
In response to Reply # 0

I love the Harry Potter franchise. The books were magical even at their low points and while not all of them hit the mark, the films were great. So you're asking yourself why does this sound like a review coming from a hater? I'm sorry to say but Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them left me super cold and bored. What was supposed to be a new prequel trilogy now feels like a never-ending saga of films that add nothing to the now expanded Wizarding World.

Arriving in 1926 New York during a crisis in the American Wizarding community, Newt Scamander (played by Eddie Redmayne) is looking for a magical beast to add to his collection of endangered beasts being stored in his suitcase. When his suitcase is swapped with a muggle named Jacob Kowalski (played by Dan Fogler), Newt unwittingly brings Jacob along for the ride as he goes forth to collect his missing beasts as well as evade disgraced Auror Porpentina "Tina" Goldstein (played by Katherine Waterson) and her sister Queenie (played by Alison Sudol) all the while a war between humans and wizards potentially breaks out.

My main problem with this film is that there is simply too much going on. For a film called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them the beasts are only in it for 30 to 40 percent of the film. We have Newt and Jacob's adventures, Tina's dilemma, The President of Magical Congress of the United States of America (played by Carmen Ejogo) and her dealings, the love stories with Newt and Tina as well as Jacob and Queenie, Colin Farrell's obviously evil Percival Graves' investigation and his manipulation of Credence Barebone (played by Ezra Miller), Credence dealing with his abusive mother Mary Lou (played by Samantha Morton) who is leading witch hunting rallies, Henry Shaw, Sr. (played by Jon Voight) and his two sons Henry Jr. a senator (played by Josh Cowdery) and Langdon (played by Ronan Raftery) who are dealing with the rallies and magic itself, as well as the mystery of who is really destroying New York City and if it's dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald. Also, yes as you've heard Johnny Deep does have a cameo in this to set up his role in the sequels and when it is revealed everyone at my screening laughed. Hard. Also, setting up for the sequels are Zoe Kravitz's briefly seen and briefly mentioned cameo. Especially the way things wrap up and the character dynamics between Newt and Tina.

So I guess you're wondering if this all comes together and yes it does with the sloppiest way possible. I didn't really care for much of anything other than Newt, Jacob and Queenie. Never would I think in a million years that Dan Fogler would be the strongest part of a film, but here we are. Katherine Waterston is fine as Tina, but the character left me cold especially in her decision making. Alison Sudol exudes sexiness as Queenie while maintaining the peculiarity of Luna Lovegood. Eddie Redmayne brings Newt to life with an awkward energy. Only problems I had is when they got into jams Newt became a serious badass to be reckoned with that seemed out of character.

Speaking of the set pieces are some of the best of the Harry Potter franchise so far. They’re varied in size and are highly elaborate minus the slightly underwhelming climax in the subway. David Yates comes back doing nothing new here and feels route despite this being the first film in the Wizarding World taking place in America. The color pallet of the film didn't feel right with its dreary grey and navy blue making it clash with the tone at times and other times fitting in (such as the scene where Prudence's mom beats him). The movie is at its best when Newt and Jacob are together or when the beasts are being showcased on screen. Queenie interacting with Jacob and Newt is delightful as well. I also found James Newton Howard's score to be masterful and very well done.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will probably be adored by Harry Potter fans and forgotten by everyone else an hour after leaving the theater. What was initially announced as a trilogy is now a five-part saga spanning nineteen years and could have been a nice standalone film. This has a good beginning, middle, and end. It really makes me wonder what J.K. Rowling has in store for these next four movies, as I just don't possibly know what you can do next besides Newt's accomplishments in the Ministry of Magic that don't require films to be honest. But, I really do hope J.K. and WB can make this worth it and not make it feel like corporate greed.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "rather enjoyable."
In response to Reply # 0

actually more so than the last three Harry Potter movies. the melodrama was more charming here, opposed to the droll soliloquies from the Potter conclusion.

some of the CGI was shockingly bad for a major studio tentpole, however.

--------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Sat Nov-26-16 01:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Holy shit was this a bore fro start to finish. "
In response to Reply # 0

Terribly uninteresting.

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Sat Nov-26-16 09:31 AM

9. "Some cool elements, but this was not good"
In response to Reply # 0

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 10:52 AM

10. "The epitome of an average movie."
In response to Reply # 0

Slow to start, some cool moments but no real surprises. My 11 year old nephew knew who the bad guy was from the beginning. The beasts kept it interesting but really not sure how this is a 5 movie franchise.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu Jan-05-17 10:34 PM

11. "I liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

No really I did
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #705689 Previous topic | Next topic