Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #705244

Subject: "How many films have you seen in the theatre this year?" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Wed Dec-02-15 11:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How many films have you seen in the theatre this year?"

If you'd have asked me in 1985 I'd have said 40. In 1995 it'd have been 30. Maybe 25 in 2005.

Now you can BUY a Blu-ray (well if you wait a few weeks after it comes out for the price to drop) for the same price a theater chargers. Hell, a Blu-ray might cost as little as $5 if you wait 6 months.

My sound system is close to what the local multiplex is, and setting 8 feet away from a 65" screen provides a similar field of view.

In 2015 I've seen 2 (Mad Max and Inside Out) and might see 1 or two more (Star Wars, Hateful 8.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Somewhere between 40-50. My lowest in a very long time.
Dec 03rd 2015
Mad Max & Avengers. Dassit.
Dec 03rd 2015
about 11
Dec 03rd 2015
Mad Max and Furious 7 might be it...
Dec 03rd 2015
It's definitely dropped
Dec 03rd 2015
i can count on my one hand
Dec 03rd 2015
Dec 03rd 2015
Dec 03rd 2015
about 25-30
Dec 14th 2015
Four
Dec 14th 2015
really off year for me
Dec 15th 2015
probably a dozen
Dec 15th 2015
lol I dont care what kind of home theater one has...
Dec 15th 2015
I've seen more movies in theater this year than I had since middle schoo...
Dec 15th 2015
3 at the most
Dec 15th 2015
Hmmmm. Let's see:
Dec 15th 2015
About 16.
Dec 17th 2015

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86673 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Somewhere between 40-50. My lowest in a very long time."
In response to Reply # 0

Might be even lower, because I did a few new movies upon VOD release.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

MiQL
Member since Sep 03rd 2002
7208 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 02:52 AM

2. "Mad Max & Avengers. Dassit. "
In response to Reply # 0

"a little air restriction ain't hurt nobody." - BSR

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 09:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "about 11"
In response to Reply # 0

Avengers
Kingsman
Get Hard
Tomorrowland
Mad Max
Dope
Ant-Man
War Room
The Perfect Guy
Hotel Transylvania 2
Creed

I saw more movies released this year, just not in theaters

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:06 AM

4. "Mad Max and Furious 7 might be it..."
In response to Reply # 0

i can't think of any others

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:23 AM

5. "It's definitely dropped"
In response to Reply # 0

Lacking interest in many films and also I get screeners now so I usually end up hoping I'll get a screener for a film and by the time I realize I won't be, it's left theaters and I just catch it on VOD.

This year, my guess is that I saw 20 films in the theater. Will see two to four more this month. Definitely my lowest in a while. This was a down year for film for me.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

jrocc
Charter member
6508 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:40 AM

6. "i can count on my one hand"
In response to Reply # 0

back in the day i used to go to the movies nearly every friday. now i'm grown and married with children so i think i've seen at theater ...

Avengers Age of Ultron
Paddington
Ant-Man
The Peanuts Movie

and i'll be in the theater to see Star Wars Force Awakens. everything else i've either seen on HBO, Cinemax or Redbox.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:47 AM

7. "33"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-03-15 10:55 AM by Ishwip

Selma
Kingsman
American Sniper
Hot Tub Time Machine 2
Lazarus Effect
It Follows
Chappie
Ex Machina
Furious 7
Unfriended
Avengers
San Andreas
Ted 2
Jurassic World
Terminator:Genisys
Ant Man
Trainwreck
Mad Max
The Final Girls
Southpaw
Mission Impossible
The Gift
Straight Outta Compton
The Visit
Black Mass
Everest
The Martian
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Peanuts
Spectre
Night Before
Hunger Games
Creed

Would also like to see Krampus, Chi-Raq, The Big Short, Where to Invade Next, Concussion, Daddy's Home, Joy, The Hateful Eight, and
The Revenant but some of those are limited-release and will probably end up as 2016 watches. Family wants to see Star Wars so there's that, too.

Edit: still need to see Sicario and Bridge of Spies, but will probably wait for the dvd's at this point.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 08:30 PM

8. "15"
In response to Reply # 0

at least on a subliminal level i get more into a movie "on the big screen" (at the movie theater) than at home. don't get me wrong, there's a lot of bullshit that goes along with a trip to the cinema. at home my screen is exponentially smaller, i don't have surround sound, and i always pause it at least once for some reason. the experience is decidedly less cinematic. the trick for me is to find that immersive experience without all of the distractions that plague the cinema. that can be really tough depending on what i see, when, and where. i would go to more movies if people still showed common courtesy to each other.

Birdzeye
Member since Feb 29th 2008
433 posts
Mon Dec-14-15 04:40 PM

9. "about 25-30"
In response to Reply # 0

However I have this year started to fall asleep in movies, which is strange, as some of them have been really good.. I think a busy/stressful year had taken it's toll and as soon as the lights go dim I start to get sleepy!

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Dec-14-15 04:50 PM

10. "Four"
In response to Reply # 0

Dope
Straight Outta Compton
Jurassic World
Mad Max

I watched quite a few movies at home, but going to the movies on my budget isn't practical now, so I've been catching up on old movies via Netflix and cable from the past which I've never seen.

It also doesn't help that there is alot of really well-made television too, in between scripted shows and live sports.

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 02:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "really off year for me"
In response to Reply # 0

I had been going pretty consistently from 2011-2014. just wasn't feeling as many indie releases as usual or compelled enough to sit through big releases simply to have an opinion.

so far I've got:

Sicario
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
Inside Out
M:I Rogue Nation
Jurassic World
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
Furious 7
Selma

last year I saw 29. the year before that was 43.

--------

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 02:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "probably a dozen"
In response to Reply # 0

I still prefer the movie theater experience. My sound system is great and it doesnt touch my local Edwards. I have a decent TV but I dont think upgrading to a 60 or 65 inch would recreate a theater screen. I like going to the movies. I would have seen a lot more if I had more time. But my weekends are spent taking my son to sports and there never seems to be time during the week.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

rdhull
Charter member
33140 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 09:40 AM

13. "lol I dont care what kind of home theater one has..."
In response to Reply # 0

its never the same as GOING to the movies, sitting in a theater

sticky floor, effed up seat, annoying patrons, parking, stale popcorn..all of it makes the movie going experience to me

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 04:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I've seen more movies in theater this year than I had since middle schoo..."
In response to Reply # 0

when there was the Cinema Center right across the street from school (complete with pedestrian bridge) which meant every Friday evening like half my 7th/8th grade class was hitting up the movies before the parents picked us up from school.

But can I remember them all...?

Amy (documentary)
Sicario
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Creed
Straight Outta Compton

but that's still not a lot. You might be able to tell I only really started seeing movies in the late summer, when I decided to start taking advantage of living a 10 minute walk away from a theater with $5 Tuesdays. The trouble is I only have every other Tuesday night off and this theater is notoriously wonky with showtimes.

Today (Tuesday) for example, only one film is showing any later than 3:30PM and it's a double showing of Creed at 7:15.

planning to see
The Revenant
Hateful Eight
Star Wars

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 06:07 PM

15. "3 at the most"
In response to Reply # 0

I just saw Krampus

Avengers in July

Selma in Jan or Feb

That's all I remember.

I got Dope for free on Blu Ray,
saw Straight OUtta Compton on a stream at my cousin's house
and dasit

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul
https://instagram.com/soul.con.fusion/

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me
By not preaching to me, but speaking to me
In a method that was leisurely"

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 06:19 PM

16. "Hmmmm. Let's see:"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-15-15 06:21 PM by mrhood75

Avengers 2
Mad Max
Inside Out
Grandma
MI:5
Straight Outta Compton
Ant Man
Peanuts
Creed
Gonna see Star Wars opening night...

Damn, only 9, with Star Wars making it 10? Damn, I'm definitely slipping. I'm almost positive I'm forgetting something; Avengers 2 really can't be the first film I saw in the theater this year.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Anfernee
Member since Nov 11th 2004
24780 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 12:47 AM

17. "About 16."
In response to Reply # 0

In chronological order:

Birdman
Foxcatcher
Chappie
Avengers
Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter
Ex Machina
Tomorrowland
Terminator Genisys
Ant-Man
Mission Impossible
Straight Outta Compton
Sparrow (it's a 2008 movie though, but I saw in as part of a Hong Kong cinema event)
Sicario
The Martian
The Lobster
The Night Before

I also saw a friend's short that was entered into a local film festival, but that probably doesn't count. It was also not that great.

http://www.angryasianman.com

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #705244 Previous topic | Next topic