Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #704986

Subject: "Tangerine (Baker, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Tue Nov-24-15 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tangerine (Baker, 2015)"

Discussed it on wocfilmclub on twitter a few sundays ago.
It was just nominated for an Spirit Award

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/tangerine-film-review-humour-and-pathos-shot-on-an-iphone-5-a6732636.html

it should be out on netflix by now check it out.

Tangerine, film review: Humour and pathos shot on an iPhone 5

"Tangerine is a bit of a marvel, a low-budget film reportedly shot entirely on the iPhone 5 but one which combines extraordinary visual inventiveness, humour and pathos. Set on Christmas Eve in Los Angeles, it follows two "trans" prostitutes as they roam the city. One, Sin-Dee (Kitana Kiki Rodriguez) is furious to learn that her pimp boyfriend cheated on her while she was in prison.

The other, Alexandra (Mya Taylor), is an aspiring performer who wants to recruit an audience for her show. The third principal character is an Armenian cab driver (Karren Karagulian) who seems a decent family man but has a fatal fascination with the red light district. The film is shot in iridescent colour. It is frequently very funny but its protagonists are all lost souls.

Baker shoots Tangerine in a freewheeling, improvisatory style that rekindles memories of John Cassavetes films following equally strung-out and desperate characters."

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Tangerine (Baker, 2015)
Dec 15th 2015
I picked the wrong environment to try this movie out.
Jan 02nd 2016
so, pretty low then on the netflix and chill scale
Jan 02nd 2016
I'll borrow two words in this post: "abrasive" and "refreshing."
Jan 02nd 2016

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Tue Dec-15-15 11:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Tangerine (Baker, 2015)"
In response to Reply # 0

Surprised there's no more discussion on this shit, especially now that it's on Netflix.

What a fucking ride. Really insane what you can do with a non-existent budget and non-professional actors (not to mention shooting on a fucking iPhone) if you understand the medium, which it's pretty clear Baker does.

This is trashy art (or arty trash) that has a heart and soul. I'd have a much harder time defending it against claims that it's exploitative if it didn't find such a sincerely empathetic tone for how it portrays a day in the life these marginalized characters. (I think it's fair to classify meth-smoking minority transgender sex workers as pretty high on "society's most marginalized" list, but the movie never treats them with anything less than respect.)

I mean, it's lurid and raunchy as fuck, but it feels infinitely more alive and refreshing than the typically lame Oscar Bait bullshit that floods theaters this time of the years.

----

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I picked the wrong environment to try this movie out."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-02-16 11:40 AM by Nodima

Girlfriend's couch, few shots and couple beers deep, right after a fourth or fifth viewing of Nightcrawler, around 1:00AM in the morning.

This fucking movie is BRASH, LOUD, OBNOXIOUS and BRIGHT AS FUCK. We tapped out about halfway through, it was just way too overwhelming and hard to deal with.

I saw a lot of potential in it, I just need an environment where I can focus a little more and be far, far less overwhelmed by how MASSIVE and CLANGING and ABRASIVE it is.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 12:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "so, pretty low then on the netflix and chill scale"
In response to Reply # 2

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 12:45 PM

4. "I'll borrow two words in this post: "abrasive" and "refreshing.""
In response to Reply # 0

Like someone else said, maybe hungover on New Years Day wasn't the time to watch a movie about characters who are constantly shouting and swearing while very loud music plays and very bright quick-cut images flash.

I really admired it, though. Definitely captured a world we don't often see and an authenticity not often achieved.

Someone brought up the issue of exploitation in this post elsewhere, and while I definitely suspected the film of being an exploitative view of these women through the eyes of a straight white man for the first 15-20 minutes or so, it becomes a bit less broad and far more empathetic as it goes, so those thoughts more or less vanished-- I suppose they just wanted to grab the audience's attention in a big and loud way, and I reckon that tactic works.

It's definitely an experience worth having, and folks should check it out, as, again, you're incredibly unlikely to see many movies about minority transgender prostitutes that actually deal with them as living breathing human beings.

And holy shit did the cinematography blow my mind-- I'm going to read as many articles as I can to figure out how they did that with an iPhone.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #704986 Previous topic | Next topic