Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #704628

Subject: "The Man in the High Castle (Season 1) (Amazon)" Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Nov-14-15 09:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Man in the High Castle (Season 1) (Amazon)"

Anybody else watching? The first two episodes are up with the rest dropping November 20th. I'm in so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle_(TV_series)

"The Man in the High Castle is an American dystopian alternate history television series produced by Amazon Studios. The series is based on the 1962 novel of the same name by American science fiction author Philip K. Dick. The story is an alternate history of the world in which the Axis powers won World War II. The United States has been partitioned into three parts: The Japanese puppet state of the Pacific States of America, which comprises the former United States west of the Rocky Mountains; a Nazi puppet state that comprises the eastern half of the former United States; and a neutral zone that acts as a buffer between the two areas, called the Rocky Mountain States."

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm interested
Nov 15th 2015
which K. Dick books would you recommend?
Nov 22nd 2015
      The ones I always recommend are
Nov 28th 2015
           cool, thanks
Nov 28th 2015
Really liked the pilot. Opening vs. Jessica Jones though?
Nov 16th 2015
just finished. really enjoyed it.
Nov 21st 2015
On episode 3. Really digging it
Nov 28th 2015
RE: The Man in the High Castle (Season 1) (Amazon)
Nov 28th 2015
After first 3 episodes.Certified must watch
Dec 01st 2015
Yeah, WWII
Dec 03rd 2015
      RE: Yeah, WWII
Dec 03rd 2015
First season was a C+ to me
Dec 06th 2015
"I'm here for answers!"
Dec 07th 2015
      RE: "I'm here for answers!"
Dec 13th 2015
           Agree with everything you guys said
Jan 02nd 2016
Renewed for Second Season
Dec 20th 2015
binged the whole thing. loved every minute.
Jan 02nd 2016
Generally enjoyable but badly lacking in a few areas
Jan 03rd 2016

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Sun Nov-15-15 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm interested"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it's not nearly PK Dick's best book - might be the worst of his non-potboiler-genre books.

But I'm going to give it a shot after they're all out. I hear the production values and acting are quite good.

Martian Time Slip or Dr Bloodmoney might have been more my speed for a dystopian world based on a PK Dick novel.

And Clans of The Alphane Moon would have been my choice for a comedy.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Sun Nov-22-15 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "which K. Dick books would you recommend?"
In response to Reply # 1

I've only read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but enjoyed his writing. Where should I start?

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Sat Nov-28-15 02:27 PM

6. "The ones I always recommend are"
In response to Reply # 4

Don't read summaries of the plots on line - trust me - it's way more fun if you don't know anything about these novels. And don't be concerned by ambiguity - that's what makes a P.K. Dick novel so interesting, IMHO.

Ubik - Has all the major themes of the Philip K. Dick universe - entropy, what is reality?, the Gnostic idea of the Black Iron Prison, dark haired girls, and humor. (And the screenplay he wrote for it has an added twist, if you like the book then I suggested reading the screenplay.)

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - All the above, plus drugs. It's a GREAT book.

Clans of The Alphane Moon - A story about aliens, mental illness, writing on a TV show, and divorce. It's a modest book, but I found it very funny.

Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb - Very dark but still fun book about how society surveys after a nuclear war.

Martian Time Slip - Deals with all the usual concepts, plus union corruption on mars, and how we treat the indigenous Martians when we arrive (hint - not very well.)

I'd stay away from Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep until you've read a few of his books - that movie be on your mind.

I'd not read The Man in the High Castle until you've read at least 10 of his other books - I think it's a book where very little happens - he wrote it by consulting the I Ching whenever he wanted to decide how a plot point went.

A Scanner Darkly is a great book - but again if you've seen the movie you may be comparing too much in your head while reading. Spoiler: Compared to the book the movie is shit.

Stay away from Vlais, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer, The Divine invasion and Radio Free Albemuth - they'll all written after he had his "experience" which is chronliched in The Religious Experience of Philip K. Dick by R. Crumb http://www.philipkdickfans.com/resources/miscellaneous/the-religious-experience-of-philip-k-dick-by-r-crumb-from-weirdo-17/.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

mashpg89
Member since Dec 08th 2004
2867 posts
Sat Nov-28-15 09:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "cool, thanks"
In response to Reply # 6

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Nov-16-15 12:56 PM

2. "Really liked the pilot. Opening vs. Jessica Jones though?"
In response to Reply # 0

I half-watched the second episode but felt like I needed to go back to watch the pilot to remember who was who since it was so long ago that I watched the pilot.

Netflix is going to smash them though. Aziz's Master of None of getting a ton of buzz and then Jessica Jones comes out the same day as High Castle and I think that one is going to get the bingers.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Sat Nov-21-15 07:11 PM

3. "just finished. really enjoyed it."
In response to Reply # 0

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sat Nov-28-15 12:21 AM

5. "On episode 3. Really digging it"
In response to Reply # 0

more later

OKScholar
Charter member
491 posts
Sat Nov-28-15 07:39 PM

7. "RE: The Man in the High Castle (Season 1) (Amazon)"
In response to Reply # 0

I love how no-one is giving it a much detailed review. I won't either. I am on episode 6, and I'm really digging it. I love alternate history stories and general what ifs, which is probably why I dug twilight zone, outer limits, amazing stories, and recently black mirror. I suggest it to anyone with similar taste or just an affinity for Nazi, ww2 type movies.

My life is lived through words and how I mold them into poetry- Jorge Luis Borges

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Tue Dec-01-15 03:09 PM

9. "After first 3 episodes.Certified must watch "
In response to Reply # 0

Reminded me of the Castle Wolfenstein games (Which I always wish they made a movie or TV show on)) but more sophisticated and more realistic.I think they were both inspired by the same source. Chick with Aikido skills is pretty cool. Her poor boyfriend is my favorite character.I wonder why the Japanese went after him and not her mom.Always happy to watch Rufus Sewell. He known how to thread that line between creepy and likeable. I was getting mad during that ambush...Between The Leftovers, Jessica Jones and this. I'm really enjoying my TV watching this fall.

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 10:02 AM

10. "Yeah, WWII"
In response to Reply # 9

I think they were both inspired by the same
>source.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Nappy Soul
Member since Jan 04th 2007
1181 posts
Thu Dec-03-15 01:15 PM

11. "RE: Yeah, WWII"
In response to Reply # 10

Don't be thick.Not every WWII stories are the same.
The idea that Castle Wolfenstein/ New order and Old Blood ( If you haven't played them, this convo ain't for you) took a lot of elements from Phillip K Dick, there's a a whole chapter of the game called ,The Man In The high Castle.
http://www.ign.com/blogs/capitalistpig211/2014/05/23/the-man-in-the-high-castle-wolfenstein-the-new-order-review

time is money, money is time
so i keep 7 o'clock in the bank and gain interest in the hour of God
I'm saving to buy my freedom, God, grant me wings, I'm too fly not to fly _ Saul Williams

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Dec-06-15 03:21 PM

12. "First season was a C+ to me"
In response to Reply # 0

When I heard the concept, I was all in, but the narrative moved like molasses. We had ten episodes and I feel like we didn't get anywhere. It just plodded along. I have no problem when shows take their time and are deliberate in the narrative, but I feel this show never got out of 1st gear. Also, the characters aren't too compelling. Outside of the Trade Minister, I really don't care what happens to the other characters. Juliana has this strange loyalty to Joe. Joe can't decide if he's a Nazi or not. Perhaps if the characters were better, I could have overlooked the slow pacing. But I couldn't do it.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Mon Dec-07-15 12:37 AM

13. ""I'm here for answers!" "
In response to Reply # 12

That line from Juliana to Lem made me realize I just didn't care about the main storyline. I feel like they just didn't give enough of a reason to care about the whole Man in the High Castle element. Yes, they made sure characters told us that Hitler considered them important but it was too weak of a McGuffin to carry the narrative, especially with the two leads being so weak.

Watch me slowly deliver something that I don't understand while hanging out with this guy who can't seem to figure out where he stands although lord knows why he can't.

After five eps, I tapped out and just read what happened along the way and wasn't upset about tapping out.

I started wishing that the story wasn't sci-fi and was just a more historical fiction account. I'd have much preferred to see Americans finding their way in the New World Order (some giving up, some still fighting) and the uneasy alliance of the Japanese and Germans (and maybe issues with American-Italians as well.)

The pilot was great and the second ep end with the guy's family was crushing but then the Joe and Juliana stuff just never worked for me.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Dec-13-15 01:16 PM

14. "RE: "I'm here for answers!" "
In response to Reply # 13

It's totally a McGuffin. They gave no indication why the films are important and I don't care. I don't care enough about the characters. Other than the Trade Minister, there is no one I remotely care about. That's disappointing because I WANT to care. I'm not sure I'll be in for season 2. Too many other (more entertaining) shows I need to watch.

>That line from Juliana to Lem made me realize I just didn't
>care about the main storyline. I feel like they just didn't
>give enough of a reason to care about the whole Man in the
>High Castle element. Yes, they made sure characters told us
>that Hitler considered them important but it was too weak of a
>McGuffin to carry the narrative, especially with the two leads
>being so weak.
>

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

IceburgSmurf
Member since May 17th 2008
4724 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 03:03 PM

16. "Agree with everything you guys said "
In response to Reply # 14

i tapped out after 4 episodes. This was like a network show with the way they focused on the girl and undercover nazi guy. that plot was not particularly compelling

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sun Dec-20-15 12:07 PM

15. "Renewed for Second Season"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/18/10605664/man-in-the-castle-season-2-renewed-amazon-prime

Amazon renews The Man in the High Castle for a second season
By Colin Lecher on December 18, 2015 01:37 pm

Amazon today announced that its alternate-reality series The Man in the High Castle will be coming back for a 10-episode second season, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

That shouldn't come as too much of a surprise — the series received a mixed-to-good critical response and became Amazon's most-watched original series pilot. The company also seemed to put some major advertising dollars behind the show, which itself generated some controversy after Nazi symbols were placed on a New York City subway as part of an ad campaign.

The Man in the High Castle focuses on a fictionalized world where Axis forces won World War II, and now occupy the United States. Based on the Philip K. Dick novel of the same name, the first 10-episode season was released on Amazon Prime November 20th.

Last 3 things I watched:

Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Jan-02-16 10:20 PM

17. "binged the whole thing. loved every minute."
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44856 posts
Sun Jan-03-16 12:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "Generally enjoyable but badly lacking in a few areas"
In response to Reply # 0

Frankly it coasts far too much on the concept of what it would be like living in this particular world with very little payoff to the concept of knowing alternate realities exist with dramatically different circumstances and that's a major problem with the show IMO.

Oh, and these characters are generally bland, one note robots aside from Tagomi and even he could use a little work. I just plain don't care about anyone past the fourth or fifth episode.

It ends on an intriguing note but we never really get into the meat of the films. We don't get any glimpses of what they mean or how they were obtained. I have some ideas based on who the man in the high castle is (should be fairly obvious IMO, but that's me) but this really should have a. moved at a quicker pace, and b. titillated us more with the alternate realities, their meaning, and impact.

I like the promise of what we could discover in season two more than anything from season 1.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #704628 Previous topic | Next topic