Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702299

Subject: "Wes Craven: r.i.p." Previous topic | Next topic
rdhull
Charter member
33133 posts
Sun Aug-30-15 08:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wes Craven: r.i.p."
Sun Aug-30-15 08:26 PM by rdhull

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wes-craven-horror-maestro-dies-818806?utm_source=facebook

y THR Staff 8/30/2015 6:18pm PDT
He directed 'Scream' and the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' films.

Wes Craven, who reaped the teen horror market with his A Nightmare on Elm Street movies, has died of brain cancer. He was 76.

His Freddy Krueger character horrified viewers and became an iconic horror character.  He is credited with re-inventing the teen horror movie.

A blend of horror and morbid humor, the “Nightmare” movies were a box-office phenomenon. He claimed to have gotten the idea for Elm Street when living next to a cemetery on Elm Street when growing up in the Midwest.

Similarly, Craven's Scream series was a box-office sensation. In those scare-'em-ups, he spoofed the teen horror genre:  Scream, Scream 2 and Scream 3 with Scream 4 set for 2010. The Scream movies frequently referenced other horror movies.

Similarly, in 1994 Craven even referenced his own Nightmare players - Robert Englund, Heather Langenkamp, John Saxon - who played themselves in Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

There were eight (count at time of death) Nightmare on Elm Street films, including a cross-over Freddy vs. Jason.  Although he was considered the “auteur” of the series by the horror crowd, Craven only directed two: A Nightmare on Elm Street and Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

In 1989, Craven switched gears by producing a TV sitcom centered on a cartoonist whose characters would spring to life.Craven departed from horror intermittently: In 1999, he directed Meryl Streep in The Music of the Heart, an inspirational drama about a teacher in Spanish Harlem. He directed a suspense thriller Red Eye, amid his Scream eruptions.

He began his horror career in 1972 with Last House on the Left, a rape-revenge movie that appalled some viewers while generating big box-office. His early shockers in the late 1970s and early '80s included:  The Hills Have Eyes, Summer of Fear, The Evolution of Snuff, Deadly Blessing and Swamp Thing, his biggest budget film up to that point.  

During the '80s, he also directed some of the revival episodes of Twilight Zone.Wesley Earl Craven was born on Aug. 2 1939 in Cleveland, Ohio. Raised in a strict Baptist household, Craven graduated from Wheaton College in English and psychology and earned a masters degree in philosophy and writing from Johns Hopkins.

He briefly taught English at Westminster College. He was also a humanities professor at Clarkson College where he was a disc jockey for the campus radio station.

He directed several other thrillers and horror movies, including: The People Under the Stairs (1991), Nightmare Café (1992), Deadly Friend (1986), Swamp Thing (1982) and Summer of Fear.

Craven directed several TV movies: Invitation to Hell (1984), Chiller (1985), Casebusters, Night Visions (1990), Laurel Canyon (1993), Hollyweird, Don't Look Down and They Shoot Divas, Don't They? among them.

He received his first award in 1977 for The Hills Have Eyes, winning the Prize of the International Critics' Jury at the Sitges - Catalonian International Film Festival.

In 2000, Craven received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival. He won the Grand Prize for Scream in 1997 at the Gerardmer Film Festival.

He was nominated for Best Director for Scream in 1997 by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror.Craven was married three times, and had two children, Jonathan and Jessica, with his first wife Bonnie Broecker. He married Iya Labunka in 2004, his third marriage.

More to come...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Damn. RIP.
Aug 30th 2015
This one stopped me cold man
Aug 31st 2015
RIP, had no idea it was getting so bad for him
Aug 31st 2015
Wow, R.I.P.
Aug 31st 2015
RIP to a visionary director
Aug 31st 2015
RIP to one of the greats...
Aug 31st 2015
nightmare on elm street is on netflix streaming
Sep 01st 2015
RIP.
Sep 01st 2015

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43741 posts
Sun Aug-30-15 08:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Damn. RIP. "
In response to Reply # 0

New Nightmare was very innovative at the time, and between that and Scream - hed figured out a way to turn the genre on its head and be meta. People Under the Stairs is very underrated too.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Dae021
Member since Mar 12th 2003
39375 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "This one stopped me cold man"
In response to Reply # 0

I was live tweeting fear the walking dead and had to stop. This dude made my favorite horror movie of all time, and then came back and changed the game with Scream.

As film maker it doesn't get any higher than Craven for me. This one hurts.

Get out the room,
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Situation Podemy love

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpres

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 11:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RIP, had no idea it was getting so bad for him"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Wow, R.I.P."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm generally not a fan of horror films, but it's impossible to overlook his impact and success. He's on the Mt. Rushmore of the Horror genre.

Cancer sucks. Brain cancer especially.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 02:49 PM

5. "RIP to a visionary director"
In response to Reply # 0

This affected me emotionally even though his movies weren't my thing.

He really was an auteur and he remade the horror genre twice, (Nightmare on Elm Street & Scream), so he is definitely worthy of any tributes being given to him.

RIP

phenompyrus
Charter member
9367 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 03:51 PM

6. "RIP to one of the greats..."
In response to Reply # 0

He gave us one definitive classic, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and another arguable classic, Scream.

His most underrated? New Nightmare.

He also gave us countless other gems through the years, some better than others.

Now we'll have to be careful when we fall asleep, but I'll be there to high five the man first and foremost.

http://twitter.com/phenompyrus

Get Out the Room
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 02:09 AM

7. "nightmare on elm street is on netflix streaming"
In response to Reply # 0

so is scream, scream 2, new nightmare. get to it this weekend, people.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Tue Sep-01-15 07:36 AM

8. "RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

He was a big part of my childhood and teen years, so far as movies. Growing up, I was way into horror movies. Still am as an adult, but with far less spare time to watch them.

Yes, obvious choices like Nightmare and Scream are classics. Who knows how many times I watched both the Nightmare and Scream series. I remember thinking Scream was so great because he didn't excuse his own movies from ridicule.

But I also dug the objectively "worse" movies like Shocker and Swamp Thing. They were goofy and fun. Of course, to varying degrees I also liked Serpent and the Rainbow, People Next Door, Red Eye, Hills Have Eyes, Last House on the Left, etc.

RIP to a true pioneer, and someone who always made it a fun time watching movies.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702299 Previous topic | Next topic