Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702044

Subject: "American Ultra (Nourizadeh, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 11:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"American Ultra (Nourizadeh, 2015)"

Despite finding Max Landis to be otherworldly annoying, I do find myself wanting to see this. This is the kind of movie I'd make.

Anyone else checking this out this weekend?

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
seeing it tomorrow
Aug 22nd 2015
Hella cliche but fun but hella cliche.
Aug 24th 2015
Meh i was hoping it would be better
Aug 25th 2015
I was going to see this before I saw the Max Landis twitter tantrum
Aug 25th 2015
nothing on his twitter was douchey at all
Aug 26th 2015
lol please. that shit was whiney copout bullshit
Aug 26th 2015
      ^^^^^^
Aug 27th 2015
           yep....... it was not nearly as good as he makes it seem
Aug 27th 2015
Basically. When I saw the trailer I was all in. But between...
Aug 31st 2015
Eh. I actually liked it a lot
Sep 02nd 2015
Needed a much better director.
Nov 18th 2015

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "seeing it tomorrow "
In response to Reply # 0

Hoping it is good. The stars worked in adventureland i am hoping it works again.

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Mon Aug-24-15 08:06 AM

2. "Hella cliche but fun but hella cliche. "
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing really original about it. The Bourne Identity as performed by small town stoners. Topher Grace's over-the-top bad guy agent was the weakest spot. He was acting in a much cheesier movie, and this was already sorta cheesy on it's own.

It was ok. Boilerplate 'weapon with amnesia' shit. Didn't regret paying to see it. Wouldn't have missed anything if I didn't.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

josephmurf2384
5289 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 11:22 AM

3. "Meh i was hoping it would be better"
In response to Reply # 0

i was not expecting much, but could not really get into it. Some chuckles but not a whole lot and i didn't really care for Topher Grace at all.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue Aug-25-15 12:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I was going to see this before I saw the Max Landis twitter tantrum"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-25-15 12:26 PM by Cold Truth

Now I'm just going to pirate the damn thing because there's no way I'm giving my money to that entitled douchebag.

From what I read this is just pineapple express with Jason Bourne. His next movie has an equally lazy, unimaginative twist he'll also hype as some brilliantly original premise instead of the mildly interesting mash up of old ideas it actually is.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 03:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "nothing on his twitter was douchey at all"
In response to Reply # 4

he simply wondered why his movie didn't do well. I was expecting him to be upset, or cursing, or putting people down, but he didn't.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Wed Aug-26-15 05:58 PM

6. "lol please. that shit was whiney copout bullshit"
In response to Reply # 5

Basically saying that people rejected HIS movie because it wasn't a sequel or reboot, despite it basically being Bourne Identity......On Weed.

The movie is niche as a motherfucker, and he's wondering why the masses didn't descend upon theaters in droves for a mid August niche release. Lol.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 10:34 AM

7. "^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

co fucking sign.

It came off as an entitled, semi-successful young writer whining about HIS movie not being a success despite it not looking that good or being as ORIGINAL as he complains.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

josephmurf2384
5289 posts
Thu Aug-27-15 10:09 PM

8. "yep....... it was not nearly as good as he makes it seem"
In response to Reply # 7

i am surprised critics didn't trash it. it was very meh.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Aug-31-15 09:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Basically. When I saw the trailer I was all in. But between..."
In response to Reply # 4

his pouting-fest and Jesse Eisenberg overall Jesse Eisenberg'ness, I refuse to cave.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Sep-02-15 05:03 AM

10. "Eh. I actually liked it a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

Now let me say, I was not excited at all to see this. It was my wife's idea because she likes Jesse Eisenberg. I was even suggesting that instead we see stuff I'd already seen before like Ant Man, because I thought re-watching that had to be better than some ol Kristin Stewart bullshit.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Is it Dude Where's My Car meets The Bourne Identity? Well kind of.

But the thing is, it's actually well done. It's funny, but when they action comes they do not go light on it. It goes back and forth from stoner comedy to really violent/intense very quickly. Eisenberg and Stewart are both really good in it (for once Eisenberg is not just playing another smug little jerk). Basically it takes itself seriously as an action flick--so much so that the constant move from stoner movie to action movie was jarring to my wife, she thought it was surreal. But I liked that about it.

The only downside for me was that Topher Grace was kind of a weak villain. But I might only think that because I don't care for him as an actor in general.

Overall I went in with really low expectations and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I can almost see why the director was sour over it flopping. The film deserved a bit more shine. I can see this being a cult hit way later down the line.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Nov-18-15 03:36 PM

11. "Needed a much better director."
In response to Reply # 0

Outside of the one action shot toward the end, most of it is pretty weakly filmed. Comedy beats are rushed through, action scenes are shakily shot and hastily cut.

The cast is right, especially Stewart, who deserves better than this. Even the script has the right stuff in there.

Just needed a director. Oh well.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #702044 Previous topic | Next topic