Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701733

Subject: "Leo and Marty team up again" Previous topic | Next topic
go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 12:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Leo and Marty team up again"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/leonardo-dicaprio-and-martin-scorsese-team-up-for-serial-killer-movie/

Hell yes!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So Leo's the killer, but
Aug 12th 2015
good shit. they're 5 for 5 in my book.
Aug 12th 2015
Only real misfire was Gangs of New York
Aug 14th 2015
Read the book and it's not cinematic at all
Aug 12th 2015
it's not
Aug 12th 2015
yes, which is boring
Aug 14th 2015
it connects to the worlds fair because
Aug 22nd 2015
Agreed. More that they are buying the name of the book
Aug 22nd 2015
sounds like a fascinating story
Aug 14th 2015
Gonna be good
Aug 14th 2015
RE: Leo and Marty team up again
Sep 09th 2015

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 05:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So Leo's the killer, but"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm actually waaaay more interested in who will portray the architect of the World Fair, or if they'll even bother with that storyline and just focus on the serial killer stuff.

The juxtaposition between them was kind of the main thing about the book, but, you know, Hollywood...

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 06:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "good shit. they're 5 for 5 in my book."
In response to Reply # 0

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Aug-14-15 02:33 PM

8. "Only real misfire was Gangs of New York"
In response to Reply # 2

Which isn't *bad* as much as it is really bloated.

Departed is maybe overrated, but again, not a bad film at all.

Aviator? Yes
Wolf? Yes
Shutter Island? Absolutely, haters.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 06:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Read the book and it's not cinematic at all"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm guessing they put all the focus on the killer, with the World Fair and the build-up towards it as just stuff in the background.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Aug-12-15 06:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "it's not"
In response to Reply # 3

i can't imagine it'll be that strict of an adaptation. he'll take what parts he needs to tell his story.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Aug-14-15 05:27 AM

5. "yes, which is boring"
In response to Reply # 3

I mean it's Scorsese, he'll make a good movie, but not a faithful adaptation.

To me, the author seemed way more interested in the World Fair. It almost felt like the serial killer stuff was just shoe-horned in because his publisher thought that a book about the World Fair wouldn't sell.

So yeah, I can see the movie focusing on the serial killer. Maybe also because there's nothing really to connect to two storylines, other than that they both happened in Chicago.

It would be fun if the movie played around with this and had the architect and the killer meet a couple times, but never know who the other person really is.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 08:21 PM

10. "it connects to the worlds fair because"
In response to Reply # 5

because the building itself was supposed to be where visitors of the worlds fair stayed

"Holmes purchased a lot across from the drugstore where he built his three-story, block-long "castle" as it was dubbed by those in the neighborhood. The address of the Castle was 601-603 W. 63rd St. It was called the World's Fair Hotel and opened as a hostelry for the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893, with part of the structure devoted to commercial space."

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Sat Aug-22-15 11:39 AM

9. "Agreed. More that they are buying the name of the book"
In response to Reply # 3

But then just making an HH Holmes movie.

Or they just use one piece, like building the Ferris Wheel, to juxtapose American greatness and know how to American violence.

When I read the book, I thought it would have made for a great mini-series or single season show - telling all different stories of Chicago in that time period with Holmes being a throughline. I'm not sure it's possible to really pull it all off in one film. I'm sure Marty's first cut of this will be 16 hours long.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Aug-14-15 09:02 AM

6. "sounds like a fascinating story"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Aug-14-15 02:32 PM

7. "Gonna be good"
In response to Reply # 0

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

OKScholar
Charter member
491 posts
Wed Sep-09-15 06:12 PM

11. "RE: Leo and Marty team up again"
In response to Reply # 0

there is a documentary on HH Holmes on Netflix, its good. I remember thinking how is this not a movie. I cant be happier with these two doing it.

My life is lived through words and how I mold them into poetry- Jorge Luis Borges

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701733 Previous topic | Next topic