Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701092

Subject: "Channing Tatum Superhero Movie ‘Gambit’ in Jeopardy as Deal Unravels..." Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 09:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Channing Tatum Superhero Movie ‘Gambit’ in Jeopardy as Deal Unravels..."

http://www.thewrap.com/channing-tatum-superhero-movie-gambit-in-jeopardy-as-deal-unravels-exclusive/

Channing Tatum Superhero Movie ‘Gambit’ in Jeopardy as Deal Unravels (Exclusive)
By Jeff Sneider
July 28, 2015 @ 5:05 pm

Rupert Wyatt is directing the comic book film, which 20th Century Fox hyped earlier this month at Comic Con

Channing Tatum’s “Gambit” deal is in jeopardy of falling apart and he is planning to exit the comic book project at 20th Century Fox, an individual with knowledge of the situation has told TheWrap.

The studio had been in the process of testing young actresses to star alongside Tatum, including Lea Seydoux, but insiders suggest that director Rupert Wyatt will soon have to find a new leading man.

It is unclear whether Tatum and his producing partner Reid Carolin plan to remain involved in a producing capacity, or whether Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner will move forward on their own.

Representatives for 20th Century Fox and Tatum could not immediately be reached for comment.

One individual close to the project told TheWrap that Tatum’s reps are still in active discussions with the studio but acknowledged that “something is up.” The situation will have to be resolved quickly, as “Gambit” is slated for release on Oct. 7, 2016.

Tatum recently appeared at Comic Con to hype his turn as New Orleans thief Remy LeBeau, aka Gambit. The character was originally played by Taylor Kitsch in 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.”

“Gambit” has long been a passion project for Tatum, whose attachment encouraged 20th Century Fox to ramp up production. However, Tatum also has larger ambitions, which may play a role in the current situation.

In a recent Grantland profile, Carolin said that he and Tatum are planning to make their directorial debut soon, so it’s possible that the star’s desire to segue behind the camera is factoring into his decision. He’s also slated to star in “23 Jump Street” for Sony.

Tatum is represented by UTA and Management 360.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
aka he's asking for more money
Jul 28th 2015
*calls Warner Bros.* show Channing the money!
Jul 29th 2015
oh no.
Jul 29th 2015
Channing Tatum Closes His 'Gambit' Deal (Exclusive)
Aug 01st 2015
I'm glad Chris Claremont is getting work off this
Aug 01st 2015
As I said above, he wanted more money.
Aug 02nd 2015
I'm very happy he's a part of this
Oct 16th 2017
I really hope he can pull off the accent.
Aug 03rd 2015
It's Fox. Watch them not even bother with the accent at all.
Aug 03rd 2015
Channing Tatum’s ‘Gambit’ Loses Director Rupert Wyatt (swipe)
Sep 20th 2015
Doug Liman Near Deal to Direct Channing Tatum's 'Gambit' (swipe)
Nov 13th 2015
'X-Men' Spinoff 'Gambit' Sets 2019 Release Date (swipe)
Oct 14th 2017
VERBINSKI?! Goddamn, I may get excited for this after all.
Oct 15th 2017
meh
Oct 17th 2017
Gore Verbinski exits
Jan 11th 2018
lmao, figures
Jan 11th 2018
good riddance
Jan 11th 2018
      Uh....no. Gambit actually has an incredible power.
Jan 11th 2018
           people get stuck on the cards and the accent
Jan 11th 2018
           meh
Jan 12th 2018
                The character is a nice, cool support character
Jan 14th 2018
                     ok
Jan 15th 2018
                          I don't want a Gambit movie at all. I like him as a badass support chara...
Jan 15th 2018
Gambit movie to be a rom-com.
Sep 27th 2018
I appreciate the ambition
Sep 28th 2018

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Jul-28-15 10:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "aka he's asking for more money"
In response to Reply # 0

And he'll get it.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 07:52 AM

2. "*calls Warner Bros.* show Channing the money!"
In response to Reply # 1

You can save the Shazam! movie!!

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Wed Jul-29-15 12:01 PM

3. "oh no."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't see him as Gambit at all, so this isn't bad news to me. but I appreciate his passion for the character.

j0510
2315 posts
Sat Aug-01-15 05:41 PM

4. "Channing Tatum Closes His 'Gambit' Deal (Exclusive)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/channing-tatum-closes-his-gambit-812514

Channing Tatum Closes His 'Gambit' Deal (Exclusive)
AUGUST 01, 2015 10:17am PT by Borys Kit

The move comes despite reports that his participation in the 'X-Men' spinoff was in danger.

The move, which was widely expected, contradicts reports that appeared last week suggesting the actor would exit the project after failing to come to terms with Fox.

Sources say that Tatum and the studio did hit a sensitive spot in negotiations, but such back-and-forth is a normal part of top-level talent dealmaking. The Magic Mike star's participation hardly was in any real danger because the actor already had invested quite a bit in the superhero part. Tatum has been attached to the movie (loosely then officially) as both actor and producer for a few years and even made a surprise appearance at Fox’s X-Men panel at Comic-Con in July.

One thing that needed figuring out was the extent of Tatum’s involvement in the X-Men universe. Fox sees Tatum’s Gambit, a mutant who harnesses kinetic energy, as one of the anchor characters of the X-universe, akin to Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine, someone who would anchor his own movies and appear in numerous others. It’s a commitment that could theoretically last more than a decade. (Jackman has been portraying Wolverine since 2000, for instance.)

Sources say that backend compensation was also a sticking point.

Rupert Wyatt, who directed Fox’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes, will direct Gambit.

Josh Zetumer penned the script for the film, based on a treatment by Gambit co-creator Chris Claremont. Tatum, Reid Carolin, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producing.

Tatum is repped by UTA, Management 360 and Hansen Jacobson.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sat Aug-01-15 08:19 PM

5. "I'm glad Chris Claremont is getting work off this"
In response to Reply # 4

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Aug-02-15 12:39 AM

6. "As I said above, he wanted more money."
In response to Reply # 4

Ain't hard to tell.

And, as I said above, he got it.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Oct-16-17 03:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I'm very happy he's a part of this"
In response to Reply # 4

I have only the utmost respect for that man and his run is THE X-Men run IMO.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Mon Aug-03-15 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I really hope he can pull off the accent. "
In response to Reply # 0

Gambit was always one of my favorite X-Men, specifically b/c he sounded like so much of my fam. So, it's a defining trait for me.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Aug-03-15 04:01 PM

8. "It's Fox. Watch them not even bother with the accent at all."
In response to Reply # 7

j0510
2315 posts
Sun Sep-20-15 06:48 PM

9. "Channing Tatum’s ‘Gambit’ Loses Director Rupert Wyatt (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/channing-tatum-gambit-loses-director-rupert-wyatt-1201595357/

Channing Tatum’s ‘Gambit’ Loses Director Rupert Wyatt
Maane Khatchatourian
News Editor, Variety.com
SEPTEMBER 16, 2015 | 03:23PM PT

Director Rupert Wyatt is exiting Channing Tatum’s “X-Men” spinoff, “Gambit.”

Wyatt, who directed “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” for 20th Century Fox, boarded the film in June.

A changing script caused the film’s budget to balloon, extending the shoot. Production was set to start in November, but has now been delayed to early 2016, prompting Wyatt’s departure, sources tell Variety.

“I was very much looking forward to working with my friend Channing and the team at Fox, but regrettably a push in the start date now conflicts with another project,” Wyatt said in a statement. “I thank them for the opportunity and I know that Gambit will make a terrific film.”

Josh Zetumer wrote the screenplay based on a treatment by “Gambit” co-creator Chris Claremont. Tatum, Reid Carolin, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producing the pic.

This is Fox and Kinberg’s second comic book movie to run into problems following trouble with “Fantastic Four.”

The Gambit character was created in 1990 by Claremont and Jim Lee. Gambit is an expert card-thrower with the ability to mentally manipulate kinetic energy.

“Gambit,” which hits theaters on Oct. 7, 2016, will be Fox’s eighth “X-Men” film. “X-Men: Apocalypse” bows on May 27, 2016.

j0510
2315 posts
Fri Nov-13-15 02:40 PM

10. "Doug Liman Near Deal to Direct Channing Tatum's 'Gambit' (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/channing-tatums-gambit-finds-new-828590

Doug Liman Near Deal to Direct Channing Tatum's 'Gambit'
NOVEMBER 12, 2015 7:22pm PT by Borys Kit

After losing original director Rupert Wyatt and with an October 7, 2016, release looming like a hangman, Fox has furiously met with filmmakers to hop on board to direct the X-Men spin-off Gambit.

The name the studio has found is a surprising one: Doug Liman.

Liman is in final negotiations to direct the comic book movie after a several rounds of meetings, including one that took place Thursday.

Liman certainly knows his way around action movies. He last directed the well-regarded sci-fi action movie Edge of Tomorrow, which starred Tom Cruise. He is also known for directing Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Bourne Identity, two massive hits, commercially and critically.

But those two movies are also famously known for having been troubled productions, with the films needing to be saved in post-production. Fox distributed 2005's Smith, while Stacey Snider, now co-chairman of Fox, was the chairman of Universal who oversaw the tumultuous making of 2002's Bourne.

Still, Liman has had time to mend relations. He just wrapped Mena, a 1980s drug cartel drama that reteams him with Cruise and will be distributed by Universal.

And it is believed that Simon Kinberg, who worked with Liman as the writer on Smith and has also developed into one of the town's more powerful forces, will exercise a strong hand as one of the producers. (Lauren Shuler Donner is also producing.)

Other names in the mix for the gig were Joe Cornish, Shane Black and, earlier on, F. Gary Gray.

Wyatt was set to direct the stand alone X-Men film, but on Sept. 16 dropped out of the production, citing a scheduling conflict with an unnamed project. But a studio exec who previously worked with the Rise of the Planet of the Apes director revealed to THR that Wyatt's departure was over creative differences, saying, "He wants to make the best version of something, and he's so desperately afraid of making something not good."

The New Orleans-based mutant has the power to manipulate kinetic energy and is known to fight with a staff and a deck of playing cards. Gambit made his first screen appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, where he was played by Friday Night Lights star Taylor Kitsch.

j0510
2315 posts
Sat Oct-14-17 06:40 PM

11. "'X-Men' Spinoff 'Gambit' Sets 2019 Release Date (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gambit-movie-set-2019-release-date-1048363

'X-Men' Spinoff 'Gambit' Sets 2019 Release Date
OCTOBER 12, 2017 3:35pm PT by Aaron Couch

The Channing Tatum movie opens Valentine's Day.
Gambit always was known for being a romantic, so it's only appropriate that his movie is opening on Valentine's Day.

20th Century Fox has set a Feb. 14, 2019 release date for Gambit, the X-Men spinoff starring Channing Tatum. Fox's Deadpool opened to big numbers over Valentine's Day weekend in 2016.

Gore Verbinski is directing the film, which will see Tatum star as the New Orleans-based mutant with the power to manipulate kinetic energy and whose weapons include a staff and a deck of playing cards. The film has been in development for some time, with Verbinski coming on board last week following departures of filmmakers Rupert Wyatt in October 2015 and Doug Liman in August 2016. Gambit has a script by Josh Zetumer and is produced by Tatum, Reid Carolin, Simon Kinberg, Lauren Shuler Donner.

The Gambit release date comes as Fox has been expanding its X-Men properties on the big screen, with 2018 seeing the release of New Mutants (set to open April 13), Deadpool 2 (June 1) and X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2).

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Oct-15-17 12:16 AM

12. "VERBINSKI?! Goddamn, I may get excited for this after all."
In response to Reply # 11

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Tue Oct-17-17 06:17 AM

14. "meh"
In response to Reply # 0

Apart from Logan, which was great, I don't feel like the X-Men movies have been getting better in quality, at least not enough to warrant all these spin offs. After Apocalypse I was ready to jump ship. The franchise definitely hasn't done enough to warrant spinoffs for kind of boring characters like Gambit.

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 01:51 PM

15. "Gore Verbinski exits"
In response to Reply # 0

Do they finally pull the plug on this one?

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/gore-verbinski-exits-channing-tatum-gambit-1202661312/

as decided against directing “Gambit,” Channing Tatum’s X-Men spinoff for Fox, the studio confirmed Thursday.

Tatum is producing with partner Reid Carolin through their Free Association production company, along with Simon Kinberg. “Gambit” has been in development for several years at Fox with Rupert Wyatt and Doug Liman previously attached as directors. Wyatt departed in October 2015, while Liman left in August 2016.

Tatum closed his deal to star in and produce “Gambit” in 2015, shortly after appearing at Fox’s Comic-Con panel with the cast of X-Men.

The Gambit character was created in 1990 by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee. An expert card-thrower, the New Orleans native has the ability to mentally create, control, and manipulate kinetic energy. Also known as Remy LeBeau, his weapons include a staff and a deck of playing cards. Gambit first appeared on the big screen in 2009’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” portrayed by Taylor Kitsch.

Joshua Zetumer wrote the script for “Gambit,” which is scheduled for a Feb. 14, 2019 release. Fox has three X-Men movies scheduled for this year with “New Mutants” set to open April 13, “Deadpool 2” on June 1, and “X-Men: Dark Phoenix” on Nov. 2.

Verbinski’s credits include “A Cure for Wellness,” “The Lone Ranger,” “Rango,” and the first three “Pirates of the Caribbean” films.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 02:07 PM

16. "lmao, figures"
In response to Reply # 15

The one guy who could possibly get me interested in a Gambit movie.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 02:26 PM

17. "good riddance"
In response to Reply # 15

Not to the director, but hopefully to this movie.

Gambit's a pretty weak character with a very, very stupid superpower.

He's a quirky minor hero that at best should get one standout scene in an X-Men flick, like Quicksilver in Days of Future Past.

I don't think the character could carry a whole movie by himself though. And Channing Tatum definitely can't.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "Uh....no. Gambit actually has an incredible power. "
In response to Reply # 17

What's stupid about the ability to turn any objects energy into explosive kinetic energy?

What's stupid about a body that constantly generates biokinetic energy?

I'm not sure there's an objective valid argument for why that's stupid.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Thu Jan-11-18 04:31 PM

19. "people get stuck on the cards and the accent"
In response to Reply # 18

gambit is fucking awesome.

<--- Big Baller World Order

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 10:16 AM

20. "meh"
In response to Reply # 18

That superpower never struck me as interesting at all. I was reading the comics when he was first introduced and I thought it was kinda wack even back then.

That plus the cards and the bad accent...

Just my opinion. I guess I can see the appeal though. Kind of.

As a footnote, here's a fun Pete Holmes video about why Gambit sux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfpEG3SFc8

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Sun Jan-14-18 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "The character is a nice, cool support character "
In response to Reply # 20
Sun Jan-14-18 11:33 AM by Cold Truth

But his power, in and of itself, is dope.

There's actually a bit more to his abilities and, muchmuch like the objects whose energy he taps into, there's an awful lot of latent potential in his powers.

Check out the New Sun iteration of Gambit. He basically develops and utilizes his power in a way that rivals Magneto. The potential of his power can go pretty far.

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Mon Jan-15-18 07:42 AM

22. "ok"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm not that into it, but if they can give us a Gambit movie that makes him out to be as dope as you say he is, sure, okay, I'm all for it.

Just give me something better than X-Men Apocalypse and I'll be pleased.

Sheeit I'll even take a Jubilee movie if they can do it right.

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Mon Jan-15-18 11:54 AM

23. "I don't want a Gambit movie at all. I like him as a badass support chara..."
In response to Reply # 22
Mon Jan-15-18 11:56 AM by Cold Truth

>I'm not that into it, but if they can give us a Gambit movie
>that makes him out to be as dope as you say he is, sure, okay,
>I'm all for it.

Nah. I don't want a movie at ALL.
I will say that his story and the characters he's deeply intertwined with would make a dope, limited run tv series on the right network.

I don't think he's the right character for a movie though. He's best as a supporting character who's backstory has ramifications for the team.

I just think his skillset and powers are excellent.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 09:01 PM

24. "Gambit movie to be a rom-com."
In response to Reply # 0

http://go.ign.com/cHhzv1C

Really wanted this to be a September Fools joke.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Fri Sep-28-18 05:53 PM

25. "I appreciate the ambition"
In response to Reply # 24

Not that audiences ever seem to get enough of comic book movies. But I could imagine that creatives have a hard time stretching themselves because these superheros are beholden to the genre's beats and tropes.

It says something that the filmmakers were able to get this idea greenlit.

It could turn out to be the next Deadpool.
But there's a big chance this could go the way of the Fantastic Four reboot and miss the mark with the audience.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #701092 Previous topic | Next topic