Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #699564

Subject: "Sicario (Denis Villeneuve, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu Jun-18-15 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sicario (Denis Villeneuve, 2015)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzpYbfoknw

This shit looks fucking gangster!!!

From Denis Villeneuve. The director of Prisoners, Enemy and the upcoming Blade Runner film.

Starring Emily Blunt, Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That's how you role a Blunt
Jun 19th 2015
heavy.
Jun 19th 2015
im pretty obsessed with whats happening in mexico right now
Jun 19th 2015
Any book or article recommendations?
Jun 20th 2015
      borderlandbeat is a requirement
Jun 20th 2015
           Appreciate it, thanks!
Jun 20th 2015
           Hernandez is a true hero, she is a marked woman nm
Jun 20th 2015
           thank you for this link
Oct 05th 2015
I L-O-V-E the idea of action star Blunt....
Jun 20th 2015
Dream team of a cast! All in!!
Jun 20th 2015
Blunt doesn't quite go Full Metal Bitch again but this was dope
Sep 16th 2015
This is one of the best films you'll see this year.
Sep 16th 2015
Owns. Deakins owns. Hammy Josh Brolin owns.
Sep 17th 2015
Loved hammy josh brolin
Oct 08th 2015
Sequel in the works *swipe*
Sep 22nd 2015
^^^spoiler(s) alert^^^
Sep 22nd 2015
This is great news.
Sep 26th 2016
I miss Benicio
Sep 24th 2015
SO good. I really reccomend seeing this in the theater
Sep 26th 2015
Wait... can anyone break down what in the entire fuck happened?
Sep 26th 2015
what part was unclear to you?
Sep 27th 2015
      Several things (spoilers)
Sep 27th 2015
           no,I'm 200% with you.
Oct 11th 2015
                But this is precisely the point.
Oct 13th 2015
                That's what I loved about it.
Oct 13th 2015
                I don't think I mean catharsis in the way the article you shared does.
Oct 13th 2015
                What do you mean by story?
Oct 13th 2015
                Exactly, the movie stuck to reality
Oct 15th 2015
                I disagree on Alejandro....
Oct 17th 2015
Emily Blunt
Oct 03rd 2015
great film
Oct 04th 2015
Excellent, not perfect
Oct 05th 2015
Probably my favorite movie of the year so far...
Oct 05th 2015
this movie is a fucking ride
Oct 05th 2015
Villeneuve is one of the best at creating tension
Oct 06th 2015
Deakins should win....
Oct 06th 2015
      True, Lubezki is probably his biggest comp...
Oct 06th 2015
           Lubezki has been pre-ordained by the critical masses.
Oct 06th 2015
Fav movie so far this year
Oct 06th 2015
wasn't bad not worth watching again. Pretty slow, kinda lost interest
Oct 07th 2015
Some terrific criticism, re: Mike D'Angelo:
Oct 07th 2015
Nayman wants a statement; the film presents reality.
Oct 08th 2015
My 2nd fav of the year behind Fury Road
Oct 13th 2015
i liked this
Oct 19th 2015
Shit was wack. What a waste of Borlin and Benicio. Coulda been but faile...
Oct 20th 2015
RE: Border madness
Nov 15th 2015
that it just kinda....ended was shocking
Nov 15th 2015
A very, good film
Feb 15th 2016
I loved this movie
Sep 26th 2016
It was my favorite film of 2015
Sep 26th 2016

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 08:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That's how you role a Blunt "
In response to Reply # 0

tingum
Member since Apr 07th 2007
662 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 01:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "heavy."
In response to Reply # 0

-----

god blessin all the trap niggas.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Fri Jun-19-15 02:03 PM

3. "im pretty obsessed with whats happening in mexico right now"
In response to Reply # 0

like i am WAY too informed

so ill be there for this

DJ007
Member since Apr 06th 2003
5447 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 12:40 PM

6. "Any book or article recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 3

After reading Don Winslow's "The Power of the Dog" I'm definitely interested!

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 01:05 PM

7. "borderlandbeat is a requirement"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Jun-20-15 01:06 PM by GriftyMcgrift

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

start there

as far as books, yes I have some recommendations but I'll have to get back to you on that.

Oh ya, Narcoland by Anabel Hernandez is a must read

DJ007
5447 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 01:22 PM

8. "Appreciate it, thanks!"
In response to Reply # 7

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 01:26 PM

9. "Hernandez is a true hero, she is a marked woman nm"
In response to Reply # 8

dillinjah
Charter member
9029 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 02:31 PM

24. "thank you for this link"
In response to Reply # 7

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 04:43 AM

4. "I L-O-V-E the idea of action star Blunt...."
In response to Reply # 0

Surprised at how well she pulled it off in Edge of Tomorrow....im all in

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

DJ007
5447 posts
Sat Jun-20-15 12:35 PM

5. "Dream team of a cast! All in!!"
In response to Reply # 0

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 10:26 AM

10. "Blunt doesn't quite go Full Metal Bitch again but this was dope "
In response to Reply # 0

Benecio & Brolin pretty much steal this one from her but I got so caught up in the story I didn't mind

Almost forgot Deakins did the cinematography until the tunnel towards the end where he shoots a few of these night vision scenes like nothing I've ever seen

Jóhannsson's score (specifically The Beast) should be played on a loop at every Haunted House this Halloween

Shares the top spot w/ Ex Mach for my favorite flick so far this year

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Sep-16-15 03:58 PM

11. "This is one of the best films you'll see this year."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-16-15 04:16 PM by bwood

A modern day Western done as crime thriller taking on the War on Drugs, once again showing us that it's a unwinnable war due to the fucked up politics of it all.

Emily Blunt plays Kate Macer. A completely clueless FBI agent who should've walked away from the get go. She makes Kate relatable as we see the film mostly through her POV. She's a sheep in wolf country.

Jóhann Jóhannsson makes a great, great score. It adds to the already menacing and violent tension without overpowering the film. I wanna listen to it right now b.

The less you know the better. It's a shame cause some pandering, heavy handed Oscar bait movie is gonna get a grip of nominations while Sicario will get nothing.

EDIT: Da Gawd DP Roger Deakins came in and spoke after the movie. Got to shake his hand and learn a little about the upcoming Blade Runner film.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Sep-17-15 11:56 PM

12. "Owns. Deakins owns. Hammy Josh Brolin owns."
In response to Reply # 0

Just a fucking awesome movie.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Sofian_Hadi
5628 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 02:23 AM

33. "Loved hammy josh brolin"
In response to Reply # 12

Benicio is getting well deserved shine but i also loved hammy josh brolin and super hammy jeffrey donovan in his brief role

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 08:54 AM

13. "Sequel in the works *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

Because one great film is never enough...

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/sicario-sequel-benicio-del-toro-lionsgate-1201599035/

Lionsgate is developing a sequel to “Sicario” that will center on Benicio Del Toro’s mysterious hitman.

The project is being overseen by Taylor Sheridan, the writer of the acclaimed thriller. Director Denis Villeneuve is also involved, although it’s early in the process and it’s not clear if he would come on board to direct. Black Label Media, which backed “Sicario,” is co-financing the development of a follow-up.

“Before the release of this movie, I was talking to Denis and I said what happened to this character?” said Patrick Wachsberger, co-chair of the studio’s motion picture group. “Where is Benicio going?”

The studio executive was thrilled Monday after “Sicario” debuted to a sizzling $401,288 last weekend from just six theaters. Its per-screen average of $66,881 is the highest of the year.

The film centers on a steely FBI agent (Emily Blunt) who finds herself involved in an off-the-books operation to bring down a Mexican drug kingpin. Josh Brolin co-stars as a morally flexible government operative. Lionsgate is planning an Oscar campaign, Wachsberger said.

“This movie has multiple Oscar potential — best movie, best director, best cinematography, best music, and, of course, the actors,” he said. “All of the characters feel real.”

He added that he hoped that “Sicario” with its eerie shots of nighttime raids and violent border cronfrontations might finally score an Oscar for Roger Deakins, who is zero for twelve despite nominations for the likes of “Unbroken,” “Fargo,” and “Skyfall,” calling the award, “past due.”

Wachsberger also agreed with critics who have been predicting Oscar love for Blunt and calling her performance as tough agent forced to question her beliefs one of the finest of her career.

“She is totally credible,” said Wachsberger. “You end the movie wondering what’s going to happen? What happen to her character? Is she becoming a wolf?”

Despite the strong box office response, Lionsgate is going to roll out “Sicario” at a deliberate pace. It expands to eleven cities and roughly 65 locations next weekend, before going wide on Oct. 2.

“This is a movie that needs word of mouth,” said Wachsberger. “It’s not an easy title. ‘Sicario’? You have to Google that. You’re not going to wear a t-shirt of that.”

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Tue Sep-22-15 03:12 PM

14. "^^^spoiler(s) alert^^^"
In response to Reply # 13

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 08:15 AM

48. "This is great news."
In response to Reply # 13

I just saw this on Hulu of all places for the first time yesterday and I regret not seeing this in theaters since I'm sure the superior soun system in the theater setting would have improved my viewing experience that much more. I'm very skittish on watching movies in general these days, but I'll watch the sequel/prequel/whatever story crops up featuring the Benecio Del Toro storyline.

Sicario did a pitch perfect job keeping me on the edge of my seat since it wasn't clear what in the world was going to happen next. And the nebulous ending was perfectly done as well.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu Sep-24-15 10:45 AM

15. "I miss Benicio"
In response to Reply # 0

have to try to see this
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Sat Sep-26-15 10:52 PM

16. "SO good. I really reccomend seeing this in the theater"
In response to Reply # 0

it really fucks with your senses, and I'm wondering how much that will transfer to even a home surround system.

Ridiculously intense movie. Beautifully shot by Deakins. That ride through Juarez alone was worth my 14 bucks.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Sat Sep-26-15 11:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "Wait... can anyone break down what in the entire fuck happened?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am confused.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Sun Sep-27-15 04:01 AM

18. "what part was unclear to you?"
In response to Reply # 17

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Sun Sep-27-15 11:09 AM

19. "Several things (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 18

I get what happened generally speaking. But some of the details...

So... that opening scene. Why were the bodies in that house? Why wouldn't the cartel dispose of them? Keeping them around is a good way for them to get found. Why the bomb?

Why does she just go along with the shit when no one will tell her what she's getting into? Why does she never peace the fuck out? She clearly ain't built for this. I get that they're just using her, but, fuck, can't no one tell her how to stay alive?

The explanation of why they're helping the Colombians isn't sufficient. Yeah they weren't doing ALL the wild shit the Mexican cartels are, but shit in Miami was far from sweet in the 80s. Miami was wild. Mexican cartels haven't turned any place in the US into what Colombians turned Miami into. Why do they think they can control the Colombians?

They seem to be insinuating that there was a power struggle between the Mexican cartels and the Colombian cartels (Alejandro's family's murder)... which there never was.

How did Alejandro get involved in this and are his motives anything more than personal? He never communicates with Colombia. And as the last scene demonstrates... killing anyone involved, including the top guy doesn't necessarily change anything.

Why the subplot with the Mexican police officer? The build up to his demise made one think he'd have a bigger role to play.

I don't think I should've gotten high before seeing this one.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Sun Oct-11-15 10:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "no,I'm 200% with you."
In response to Reply # 19

This was a beautiful movie to look at and a stunning one to listen to. In every sensory aspect it was an incredible, breathtaking film.

But I'm not on board with it being a great movie. The movie captures Macer's confusion without ever really giving us / her a chance for catharsis. And Alejandro just sort of transforms into a character that felt a little out of place in the third act, he became a little too Jason Statham or something for me.

Overall I just think the plot portion of the movie was pretty weak compared to all the other elements of the movie. I even enjoyed the dialogue a lot from scene to scene, I just didn't think it built off of each other into a coherent whole as well as it did entertain minute by minute.

That said, I couldn't help comparing this movie to the first season of True Detective over and over again as well. It had that exact same vibe and maybe that's why the ending had to hit with a bit of a deliberate thud as well.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 02:39 PM

37. "But this is precisely the point."
In response to Reply # 35

The movie
>captures Macer's confusion without ever really giving us / her
>a chance for catharsis.

There is no catharsis in reality.

Anyone looking for catharsis is judging the movie on personal preference instead of on the merit of the movie itself.

I don't begrudge an audience member a preference for catharsis: different strokes for different folks. But what this movie is attempting to do? It does beautifully. And the film should be judged on its own merit.

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 04:09 PM

38. "That's what I loved about it."
In response to Reply # 37

Every time she thought she was catching up on things, reality knocked her back (usually, literally.)

It's why the ending is so key. She could finally become the wolf and get her catharsis by shooting Benicio or she could hold true to her morals.

That being said, I would have liked to see more of her struggle, juggling what's The Right Thing to Do and what might be right for the situation she's in. But, then again, it is also reality that life doesn't slow down for you to make these calls. She got swept up in the current and was struggling to stay afloat.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 04:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
39. "I don't think I mean catharsis in the way the article you shared does."
Tue Oct-13-15 04:11 PM by Nodima

The best example I can currently think of for a similar situation is Metal Gear Solid V. This game is fantastic to look at and listen to, one of the first in a while I HAVE to play with headphones on. The series' director, Kojima, also does a lot of strange things with the camera in this one, going above and beyond JJ Abrams' love for lens flare while also fully committing long takes ala Birdman. Whether I'm playing the game or looking at it I'm constantly in awe, just like Sicario.

But when it comes to the story (albeit from the perspective of the most legendary soldier to ever live) you're left in the dark as an audience member to the point everything sounds like nonsense, or feels like it's happening just because the film/game has lingered in a state of being for too long. Sicario's plot was played so bare that every moment just felt like a plot device, it was so transparent. That series goes to a lot of bizarre sci-fi places Sicario obviously doesn't, but the basic emptiness is there, and with both products I feel is the primary if only complaint worth leveling against them. Both are otherwise perfect examples of perfection in their medium, you just have to accept the story they're trying to tell will get in the way of that from time to time.

I got what they were trying to do, like the first season of True Detective they were trying to tell a fair small, dense story while withholding as many details as possible to keep the audience on their toes, I just didn't feel the soul here. It would have worked better in that mini-series format, I think, where it wouldn't have felt as rushed to turn Del Toro into a hitman angling for a sequel.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 06:20 PM

40. "What do you mean by story?"
In response to Reply # 39
Tue Oct-13-15 06:22 PM by Frank Longo

>But when it comes to the story (albeit from the perspective of
>the most legendary soldier to ever live) you're left in the
>dark as an audience member to the point everything sounds like
>nonsense, or feels like it's happening just because the
>film/game has lingered in a state of being for too long.
>Sicario's plot was played so bare that every moment just felt
>like a plot device, it was so transparent.

Do you mean the plot? I thought the plot was pretty crystal clear. There are even scenes in which they stop and explain what is going on and/or what just happened.

Do you mean the character's story? Again, they spend a lot of time showing her struggle to do the right thing. And they show how it gets harder as events pass and her inevitable irreconcilable choice she is forced to make at the arc. Pretty clear arc there, imo.

So I'm confused what you mean by "bare." There's a ton of meat on these bones. It never really lingers. It's constantly moving forward-- I'd argue extraordinarily efficiently so. And it gives character as the plot progresses. Outside of Mad Max: Fury Road, there may not be a more efficient film this year so far in terms of balancing narrative and character simultaneously. (This is up for debate, obviously, in a different post... but you get my point.)

>you just have to accept the story they're trying to
>tell will get in the way of that from time to time.

Again, I have no real idea of what this means. Not trying to be dismissive, I just literally don't know. I'd love for you to explain further. I don't think this film is remotely an exercise of style over substance, if that's the accusation being lobbed here. I'm just confused how the story gets in the way of... whatever it's getting in the way of, in your opinion.

>I got what they were trying to do, like the first season of
>True Detective they were trying to tell a fair small, dense
>story while withholding as many details as possible to keep
>the audience on their toes,

I don't really think it's doing that at all. It's not withholding too much. There are a couple of things kept under wraps, but even then, they're things we know more or less from the jump (Brolin's a spook, Del Toro has a haunted past, etc).

I just didn't feel the soul here.
>It would have worked better in that mini-series format, I
>think, where it wouldn't have felt as rushed to turn Del Toro
>into a hitman angling for a sequel.

Despite the fact that they are exploring a possible sequel, that's not my read of the ending at *all.* The whole film is building toward putting BDT into that scenario. And it puts him into a brutal one. And he makes his choice with minimal flinching, leaving us to wonder what it's all for. Which, again, is kind of the point, imo.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Thu Oct-15-15 04:08 PM

41. "Exactly, the movie stuck to reality"

And I loved it...not everything tied up, no huge emotional moments, etc etc.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Sat Oct-17-15 10:35 PM

42. "I disagree on Alejandro...."
In response to Reply # 35

>But I'm not on board with it being a great movie. The movie
>captures Macer's confusion without ever really giving us / her
>a chance for catharsis. And Alejandro just sort of transforms
>into a character that felt a little out of place in the third
>act, he became a little too Jason Statham or something for
>me.

I don't feel that Alejandro reached 'Statham' levels of badassery in the third act at all. The entire movie you're only treated to flashes of what he is and what he can do. Matter of fact, he didn't even have a motive stated in the film until the third act. That motive drives the third act which is primarily about him. Everything he does feels realistic and rooted in what has been established for his character. If it were more Stathamy.....Alejandro would've come in guns blazing dodging bullets and certain death at a level that would've made Neo look like a neophyte. Only he doesn't. Alejandro comes in and takes the guards out methodically with precision. There's zero room for flair.

He's basically the master wolf of Sicario's world. He knows how to navigate the world on terms that suit him and is willing to do what's necessary to survive.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Sat Oct-03-15 08:12 PM

20. "Emily Blunt"
In response to Reply # 0

My crush is strong

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

DJ007
5447 posts
Sun Oct-04-15 03:28 PM

21. "great film"
In response to Reply # 0

everything worked- visually stunning, lyrically poetic, music cues, solid cast and BENICIO!!!!!

loved this ,hell yes bring on a sequel!

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 11:28 AM

22. "Excellent, not perfect"
In response to Reply # 0

The script isn't as quality as the other aspects of the movie, but good enough to not ruin it. Good to see Benicio again.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 01:20 PM

23. "Probably my favorite movie of the year so far..."
In response to Reply # 0

Villeneuve is getting better. Really knocks it out of the park here...

----

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Mon Oct-05-15 09:05 PM

25. "this movie is a fucking ride"
In response to Reply # 0

i loved it so much. held my breath from the second the first gangster blew a hole through the wall of the arizona house.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 12:57 PM

26. "Villeneuve is one of the best at creating tension"
In response to Reply # 0

Really liked this film even though I do agree that Blunt's character wasn't handled well.

SPOILER

Benicio did a Q&A at the screening I was at and he said that Blunt wanted to shoot him at the end but Denis said that that would mean that she became a wolf and she was supposed to still be a good person, unbroken by it all.

I was also surprised to hear how many scenes were shot on sets. Deakins should get another nomination for this film.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 01:58 PM

27. "Deakins should win...."
In response to Reply # 26

if only because he's overdo. His lensing of the Juarez scenes and the low-light/night vision stuff towards the end were simply great.

But if he can't win for lensing something like Skyfall or Fargo...who knows.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 08:52 PM

29. "True, Lubezki is probably his biggest comp..."
In response to Reply # 27

and since he's won the last two, people might make a push for giving Deakins his first.

I thought there'd be more films coming out that would be contenders nothing jumped out at me. Maybe the Ron Howard "In the Heart of the Sea" film.

----

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 11:18 PM

30. "Lubezki has been pre-ordained by the critical masses."
In response to Reply # 29

I heard from a person or two who have seen the film. They said it's eye candy (yay!) that is unrelentingly grim from start to finish (ugh). Which means more Lubezki trophies unless the critics somehow don't get behind the film.

Sofian_Hadi
5628 posts
Tue Oct-06-15 08:36 PM

28. "Fav movie so far this year"
In response to Reply # 0

My chest hurt afterwards, i didnt realize how anxious i was sitting forward during the tunnel and convoy scenes. Deakins, Del Toro and that score. Easily my favorite movie going experience this year. This needs to be seen in a movie theatre.

aesop socks
Member since Sep 18th 2007
1223 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:13 AM

31. "wasn't bad not worth watching again. Pretty slow, kinda lost interest "
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Oct-07-15 12:43 PM

32. "Some terrific criticism, re: Mike D'Angelo:"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with every last word.

http://letterboxd.com/gemko/film/sicario-2015/1/

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

Second viewing, no change. Having now professionally reviewed this film four times (for The Dissolve from Cannes, and then for the A.V. Club, the Nashville Scene, and the Las Vegas Weekly), I thought I had nothing left to say, especially since I made a point of addressing the most common criticisms. But since a bunch of folks are praising Adam Nayman's takedown for Reverse Shot, let me quickly address a few of his points.

"“I have to know,” Kate tells her pal Reggie (Daniel Kaluuya), but there’s little urgency in the role or the performance—and almost none of the obsessive fervor that bled through Jessica Chastain’s porcelain features in Zero Dark Thirty."

A couple more paragraphs about Zero Dark Thirty follow, but the comparison is misguided; the two films' aims are almost diametrically opposed. While I generally like ZDT, its greatest failing (which I unpacked at some length during its theatrical release) is the way that it fashions Maya, Chastain's dogged C.I.A. analyst, as a conventional Hollywood hero—the one person involved in the search for Bin Laden who Gets It and just powers through the (male-dominated) resistance until she's finally vindicated, albeit by (male) proxy. (This is a failure of nerve only within the specific context Bigelow and Boal created; for more, read the linked piece.) Sicario is doing something entirely different with Kate, and "obsessive fervor" isn't in her makeup, that single line of dialogue notwithstanding. The role is intentionally reactive, the character deliberately uncertain of herself at all times. She's being buffeted. This makes a lot of people uncomfortable. It's intended to.

I likewise strenuously disagree with this characterization:

"The idea, which Sicario keeps in play for its duration but only really levels with in the final third, is that Kate’s passivity and weakness is not only a by-product of her immediate circumstances—her status as a woman and an outsider in a border war whose participants have earned their battle scars—but also an embodiment of liberal self-delusion as pertains to the hard (and, it’s implied, male) work of keeping America safe."

I'm not buying the liberal self-delusion angle, but skip that for now. It boggles my mind that anyone could watch Sicario and refer to Kate Macer's "weakness." She confronts her superior officers regarding their illegal bullshit at every opportunity, without fear or hesitation. She does the honorable, admirable thing almost without fail. It's just that Sicario doesn't pretend that doing so would get her anywhere. There's no sign of weakness here. Kate is incredibly strong in a situation where her strength is useless. This is a deeply pessimistic film about the near-impossibility of overcoming institutional corruption—one that's honest enough to have its protagonist struggle for a long time about whether what she's witnessing even is corruption. (Hence "I have to know," which she says very near the end.)

And then ugh:

"A film that creates a straw-woman like Kate simply so she can be disabused of her by-the-book naiveté—and literally physically abused by a would-be assassin, in an aborted-sex-turned-combat scene calibrated for maximum discomfort (and which concludes with her being rescued by a stronger male ally)—is one thing; a film that does this and then circles back to her at the end to underline her weakness as systemic and tragic is rather suspect, to put it nicely."

Maybe I'm misreading him, but Nayman (who concurs with certified lunatic Armond White's assessment of the film as "conservative") appears to believe that Sicario endorses the actions taken by Brolin's Matt and Del Toro's Alejandro, and ultimately reveals Kate as a well-intentioned but misguided fool. "To put it nicely," that's absurd, just as it was absurd when people dogpiled The Wolf of Wall Street for allegedly celebrating Belfort's bad behavior. Reading the passage above, you'd think Nayman were describing, say, Mississippi Burning, in which Willem Dafoe's by-the-book agent finally embraces Gene Hackman's less scrupulous methodology. Or that Kate Macer were Eliot Ness in De Palma's The Untouchables, climactically demonstrating The Chicago Way by shoving Frank Nitti off a rooftop to his death when he tries to surrender. This woman initially refuses to sign a document she knows is false even with a gun pressed under her chin. That she ultimately caves is not weakness, nor is it tragic. It's simply reality.

(I'm also curious as to how an aborted-sex-turned-combat scene ought to be calibrated, if not for maximum discomfort. And Sicario deserves praise, not an implicit sneer, for acknowledging that even a highly-trained FBI agent like Kate would likely be unable to overpower an equally highly-trained man—a point that Emily Blunt herself made in an interview: "She isn't actually an action heroine, this character, she's a female cop and the reality is she would be overpowered by a guy that size, that, that is the reality. She hasn't got the perfect thing to say, or she can knock out any guy. She's not that girl. It has to be desperate, like she's fighting for her life." A man rescuing a woman onscreen is not automatically anti-feminist. Especially when the white knight in question later shoots the woman for interfering with him, and later still threatens to kill her.)

At the bottom of this difference of opinion, I think, is a need that some people seem to have for very clear signposts of a film's moral framework. This is most evident in another comparison Nayman makes:

"The finale, which finds Alejandro threatening Kate’s life over the possibility of her ratting out the team, basically restages a near-identical scenario in No Country for Old Men, except those old anti-humanist monsters the Coens found a way in Kelly Macdonald’s confrontation with Javier Bardem to contrast her literal helplessness with his fundamental moral weakness. Her character’s refusal to call the fateful coin-flip that had killed off so many (male) characters before her is the lone, true act of strength in No Country for Old Men, and it pointedly ruptures the story’s basic framework (it’s no surprise that Bardem gets hit by a car right after being so boldly rejected)."

I don't know whether Nayman has read Cormac McCarthy's novel, or whether he's aware that the scene he describes isn't in it. McCarthy, who has zero tolerance for bullshit, has Carla Jean call heads; the coin comes up tails, and Chigurh kills her. (He still gets hit by the car afterward.) I like the Coens' adaptation a whole lot, but their decision to alter this scene, giving Carla Jean more of a backbone, was fundamentally cowardly, not humanistic. It's designed to provide the viewer with a warm, fuzzy feeling, even in the face of unspeakable evil: At least she defied him, refused to take part. We can reassure ourselves that we would do the same. It's as if 1984 had actually ended by having Winston realize his plan to secretly, mentally unleash the full force of his hatred for Big Brother one millisecond before his brains are blown out. But Orwell had something bleaker and more powerfully upsetting in mind, and so does Sicario. Its so-called ugliness is strategic.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Oct-08-15 12:28 PM

34. "Nayman wants a statement; the film presents reality."
In response to Reply # 32

Nayman called the film "lazily ambivalent" which I wholeheartedly disagree with. It's lazier to make a statement and act like that stance is the answer to what, at this point, is an unanswerable question.

And the idea that not signing the paper is a sign of weakness is a perfect example of a critic seeing things in black and white. The idea that not dying over something that won't change if you do or don't sign it but rather staying alive to possibly fight another day is ridiculous to me.

I feel like people would have preferred a film in which Kate thought she was doing good, slowly realized they were crossing the line, and then takes a stand. I liked this one better because it felt more real to me - someone rushes to help but soon realizes that they are in over their head and might be crossing the line, by the time they figure it out, their team realizes they can't trust her and take her out. She then has to figure out how to survive and maybe how to keep her morals and maybe make a difference.

Of course, the ultimate issue with any film about the drug war is that nobody knows how to make a difference so there's no possibility of a nice epilogue where the hero saves the day or takes the stand that changes everything.

The film has its flaws but I think a lot of the criticism is that the film didn't say what it wanted it to say (and what they wanted it to say isn't actually true.)

----

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Tue Oct-13-15 12:48 PM

36. "My 2nd fav of the year behind Fury Road"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-13-15 12:57 PM by LA2Philly

Really well-paced and so well shot (can Deakins fucking finally win his academy, he should get it for the Juarez scenes alone) with solid performances all around. Loved that it stuck to it's tone of reality rather than trying to make some kind of overt statement...all the characters reacted in ways that were true to the character they had established in the movie...from Blunt to Brolin to GDT (particularly, no spoiler, his final 2 scenes).

My only fault with the movie was with its script at times...some of the lines that were meant to resonate just didn't resonate. Maybe I was in a non-emotional mood, not sure.

Definitely going to try and watch this again.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon Oct-19-15 02:00 PM

43. "i liked this"
In response to Reply # 0

kinda put the CIA on blast for circumventing its domestic mandate (or lack thereof).

BDT pretty much stole every scene he was in... some without even saying a word. dude is just such a presence.

the bridge of the americas scene/set piece was ill. i haven't felt that much tension in a while. same with the tunnel. credit the soundtrack too.

*spoiler*

the only thing i thought was over the top was BDT blasting everyone with so much quickness, with what i'm assuming was a semi-auto pistol. he capped silvio and diaz in like 0.5 seconds (granted they were vertically aligned to one another). capping jefe's guards seemed even quicker.

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Tue Oct-20-15 03:07 PM

44. "Shit was wack. What a waste of Borlin and Benicio. Coulda been but faile..."
In response to Reply # 0

The writing was awful, it had no feeling, very soulless, dry. Borlin was the only thing that kept me awake. Del Torro also did a good job but too bad for them they didn't have much to work with. Stale stale movie... It looked pretty

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Sun Nov-15-15 05:47 PM

45. "RE: Border madness"
In response to Reply # 0

Oh i made a mistake, shit there is no damn border. There are no rules and there damn sure ain't no good guys in the drug war. Sicario does get it right. It sure does show the insanity of the whole mess. Emily, Benicio and Josh all seliver the goods in this one.
Grade A

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Nov-15-15 07:27 PM

46. "that it just kinda....ended was shocking"
In response to Reply # 0

but it was good.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Feb-15-16 12:27 PM

47. "A very, good film"
In response to Reply # 0

Technically, it's a masterpiece. The score, cinematography, and sound design were amazing. The best shot to me was a scene where the Mexican cop is driving towards away towards a storm in the distance. The shot I described seems so cliche, but Deakins films it in a way that adds a sense of real drama to the movie.

The story was well-written and had a couple of noteworthy lines of dialogue.

The only issue had was the lack of drama between the characters as it relates to how immersed into the CIA's ways both Kate and her partner were. I guess I needed someone to spell it all out for me, but this movie, by design according to the reviews, didn't want to have the CIA's motives out in the open.

I'd give it four 1\2 stars out of five.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 10:18 AM

49. "I loved this movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Saw it in theaters and was on edge the whole time. Didn't know who to trust or who to believe. I guess anybody can get it in this drug war.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Sep-26-16 07:49 PM

50. "It was my favorite film of 2015"
In response to Reply # 49

It was so intense. Excellent movie.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #699564 Previous topic | Next topic