Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #698274

Subject: "The Blade Runner sequel will be shot by one of the greatest cinematograp..." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue May-26-15 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Blade Runner sequel will be shot by one of the greatest cinematograp..."

The Blade Runner sequel will be shot by one of the greatest cinematographers of all time

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/20/8631091/blade-runner-sequel-roger-deakins-cinematographer

The team behind the upcoming Blade Runner sequel have announced who will be shooting the film, and it's enough to get even the most jaded fan excited. Academy Award-nominated cinematographer Roger Deakins will be shooting the film for director Denis Villeneuve, marking the third collaboration between the two filmmakers (they also worked on Prisoners and Sicario, which just premiered at the Cannes Film Festival).

When people talk about the stunning visuals, textures, and look of the original Blade Runner, it's often director Ridley Scott and his meticulous attention to detail that get the credit — and while Scott's impact can't be overstated, it's the incredibly talented artists behind the scenes that helped craft that vision and make it a reality. In the original, legendary director of photography Jordan Cronenweth shot the film, imbuing it with the melancholy atmosphere and look that inspired a generation of sci-fi filmmakers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deakins is one of the most spectacular cinematographers to ever touch a camera

For the sequel we'll be getting Deakins, who is straight-up one of the most spectacular directors of photography to ever touch a camera. Going through Deakins' credits is basically like reading a list of The Most Beautiful Movies You've Ever Seen: Skyfall, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Shawshank Redemption, Dead Man Walking. There's also his extensive collaboration with Joel and Ethan Coen — Deakins shot Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, O Brother, Where Art Thou and a number of other films — as well as his gorgeous work in Angelina Jolie's Unbroken. Deakins has proven to be a forward-thinking technologist as well, adopting digital color timing well ahead of his contemporaries, and making the jump to shooting with digital cameras seamlessly without sacrificing beauty or image quality.

While there are still thousands of unanswered questions about the Blade Runner sequel — most importantly, Do we really need it? — the question of whether the movie will look stunning or not has been definitively answered. The film won't start shooting until the summer of 2016 so we'll have to wait to see how it all comes together, but in the meantime do yourself a favor: go to Deakins' IMDB page, find every movie you haven't seen, and start watching. Enjoy.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Not sure how I feel about this.
May 26th 2015
If I were in charge of this movie, I'd just get the rights to the PC gam...
May 26th 2015
      The idea of the sequel taking place at the same time as the original
May 26th 2015
           RE: The idea of the sequel taking place at the same time as the original
May 26th 2015
                It was the game that turned me on to the movie
Dec 23rd 2016
Fink and O Brother were visually great... hmmm
May 26th 2015
I didn't know Villeneuve was doing this.
May 26th 2015
yup, big fan of Prisoners
May 26th 2015
Lubezki better.
May 27th 2015
is gosling still going to be the lead? either way, i'm in
May 27th 2015
villeneuve x deakins x gosling x harry dogg
Jan 26th 2016
Question...which version of the OG is essential?
Jan 29th 2016
the 2007
Jan 29th 2016
will it NOT be a boring POS like the first
Jan 31st 2016
It's an acquired taste.
Jan 31st 2016
it really isn't. i've watched it three times
Feb 04th 2016
I'm down with your point, but I disagree
Feb 06th 2016
what makes it an acquired taste?
Oct 05th 2017
      When I saw it the first time, I wasn't knowledgeable about film
Oct 06th 2017
           i see
Oct 06th 2017
haha.. thought it was me. I tried a few times
Sep 28th 2017
i'm open to the idea
Feb 01st 2016
after arrival, i'm eager...
Dec 19th 2016
How'd did this not pop up in the search
Dec 19th 2016
i still don't get why vangelis isn't involved
Sep 27th 2017
      El-P's little sneak peak sounded cool too.
Sep 28th 2017
           el totally deserves to score a pk dick movie or show some time
Sep 28th 2017
the trailers have been very exciting
Jul 17th 2017

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Tue May-26-15 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Not sure how I feel about this."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't really feel like we need a sequel - what's the plot gonna be? Who are the characters?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue May-26-15 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "If I were in charge of this movie, I'd just get the rights to the PC gam..."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue May-26-15 12:23 PM by Nodima

It had 13 different endings and a lot of the game was up to player choice so they would have plenty of material to sift through to make things right, and while they'd probably have to find a substitute for the Tyrell character everything else could pretty much work as it did in the game.

The basic plot is Ray McCoy is a rookie Blade Runner attempting to solve the murder of real, non-synthetic animals by a group of replicants, but it spirals out from there in some really interesting ways and is a bit more of a corrupt cop scenario than the original movie, but takes place at the exact same time as the original film which would also allow for a lot of easter eggs (a few of the game's conversations take place shortly after Deckard meets the same character).

Lisa Edelstein and Jeff Garlin also played McCoy's partner and lieutenant in the game, respectively, which would make for a neat callback if they were in the movie as well. Really it was a pretty good cast with a lot of characters from the film making a reappearance, more than I remembered after looking it up. Perhaps they'd have more trouble than just writing around Eldon Tyrell (or why not just recast them all, I guess...)

But I've also just been obsessed with that game since I was a kid so I may be biased on its narrative merits. It's likely a better idea than whatever ends up happening, though. And there's a couple of endings they could pick or shift a little that would be super fun to see on screen.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Tue May-26-15 05:00 PM

6. "The idea of the sequel taking place at the same time as the original"
In response to Reply # 2

is an interesting idea. It would be kind of a alternate reality where the events of the sequel might 'affect' the reality of the original.

How much is the game similar to the movie in the style of the movie?

You said that the game is a detective story like the original movie, but how was the game different than the movie as far as the amount of action or any kind of structure like that?

Nodima
15297 posts
Tue May-26-15 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "RE: The idea of the sequel taking place at the same time as the original"
In response to Reply # 6

>is an interesting idea. It would be kind of a alternate
>reality where the events of the sequel might 'affect' the
>reality of the original.
>
>How much is the game similar to the movie in the style of the
>movie?
>
>You said that the game is a detective story like the original
>movie, but how was the game different than the movie as far as
>the amount of action or any kind of structure like that?

They directly rendered all the iconic architecture, ads, buildings.

This was McCoy's apartment: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/evrToRdvzWo/hqdefault.jpg

it WAS the movie, and had a lot of the same moral dilemmas, it was just a different plot that had as much focus on the operations of the department and BEING a Blade Runner as the replicant existential questions itself. McCoy comes across almost everyone Deckard does, sometimes before and sometimes after, in an effort to figure out why a small band of replicants are so blatantly breaking specific laws.

From the Wiki (if you don't mind spoiling yourself on a 15 year old game that totally won't be inspiration for the film):

The game is set in Los Angeles, in November 2019, shortly after the beginning of the film.

The protagonist, Ray McCoy, is a rookie Blade Runner under the command of Lieutenant Guzza. True to the film, the environment is dystopian and heavily-polluted. McCoy is tasked with tracking down a group of replicants, who are suspected of murdering animals — a crime nearly as heinous as murdering humans, since most animal species are extinct, and real specimens are exceedingly rare. He investigates a number of crime scenes, employing various techniques typical of detectives to gather information. The game emphasizes the concept of choice on the part of the player; key among these is the option of 'retiring' every last replicant, or letting them escape.

During his investigations, McCoy encounters a black market gun runner who assists rogue replicants by providing them with weapons. Soon afterwards, he is framed for the murder of a civilian by the crooked Lieutenant Guzza, who considers him dangerous to his illicit business at the police station. Forced into hiding, McCoy explores the dark, decrepit underworld of LA, and makes contact with the replicant twins Luther and Lance, former genetic designers for the Tyrell Corporation, who are now working to extend their own lifespans, as well as those of all other replicants. From them, McCoy receives a detailed report containing evidence of Guzza's corruption. He uses this information to blackmail Guzza and force him to set his falsified record straight. The two men meet in the city sewers for the exchange, where Guzza is wounded by replicant gunfire. At this point, the player must decide to either run away or finish the lieutenant off.

There are thirteen endings, influenced by the player's actions throughout the game. These endings are variations on three major themes; the player can believe McCoy is human, and hunt down the replicants; be persuaded that he's a replicant himself, and side with them against the other Blade Runners; or stay neutral, and flee the city, either alone or with some of the other characters.

Links to film
The game's script writers, David Yorkin and David Leary, produced a story that takes place at the same time as the film and also features some of the same characters. Also included in the game are landmarks from the film, such as the dominating Tyrell Corporation pyramid structures, the Bradbury Building, and the LAPD's cylindrical skyscraper.

When the game begins, Deckard has already been sent off on his own assignment, and although McCoy and Deckard never actually meet, so as to remain consistent with the film's plot, the player will encounter numerous references to Deckard's activities. For example, when visiting the Tyrell building, Rachael mentions that she has already spoken to another Blade Runner and Tyrell himself tells McCoy, "as I explained to Mr. Deckard earlier, I've given the Nexus 6 a past." Another example is one of Izo's pictures, taken at Animoid Row, which shows Deckard in the background. Additionally, while searching the Yukon hotel, McCoy discovers Det. Holden's badge and Guzza questions how Deckard missed it, going on to say, "Deckard, he feels too much, ya' know? He's too far along that curve."

~~~~~~~~~

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Fri Dec-23-16 10:01 AM

20. "It was the game that turned me on to the movie"
In response to Reply # 7

I was thinking of the game earlier this week and went to Youtube to see if it was as good as I remembered.

Came across a nice video where they look back at the game and have a talk with the creator of the game. Lots of good info and insights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D623rBiAVX0

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue May-26-15 01:31 PM

3. "Fink and O Brother were visually great... hmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah this guy is a good choice for this.

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Tue May-26-15 03:08 PM

4. "I didn't know Villeneuve was doing this."
In response to Reply # 0

And now Deakins?

Psh. Sign me up.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yup, big fan of Prisoners"
In response to Reply # 4

it's not quite a "great" movie, but it damn sure looks like a great movie and is plenty entertaining.

--------

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed May-27-15 11:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Lubezki better."
In response to Reply # 0

Just kidding. (Not really, because Lubezki *is* better, but Deakins is great too.)

I'm sold on Deakins for this this though just off of the strength of the skyscraper scene in Skyfall where it's all neon lights reflecting off of huge panes of glass. I can definitely see that style working really well here.

More important than Deakins serving as DP, though, is the fact that Denis Villeneuve is directing this shit. I didn't love Prisoners but I thought Enemy was fucking awesome. If he can bring some of that good mind-fuck element to this, it will be more than worth checking for.

----

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Wed May-27-15 04:43 PM

9. "is gosling still going to be the lead? either way, i'm in"
In response to Reply # 0

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Jan-26-16 06:00 PM

10. "villeneuve x deakins x gosling x harry dogg"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm really trying not to get my hopes too high, but i gotta admit this looks fucking fantastic on paper.

given that it's being set "several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original", i'm guessing the "deckard is a nexus-6" angle is being scrapped

There are many arguments to be made against even the mere idea of a "Blade Runner" sequel. Ridley Scott's 1982 movie is an inarguable classic, a pinnacle of the science-fiction genre and a neo-noir nonpareil. Frankly, a follow-up could only pale by comparison. But Alcon Entertainment is doing everything it can to get fans to let their guard down.

First, the studio hired Denis Villeneuve ("Sicario," "Prisoners") to direct, then landed Ryan Gosling to star opposite the returning Harrison Ford. Those three names alone would be enough to get me to watch any movie, but … "Blade Runner 2?" Let's just say I'm curious to see where it goes.

Alcon has officially announced that production will be begin in July, with Warner Bros. distributing the picture stateside and Sony around the globe. No word yet on an exact release date, but this will surely be near the top of the Playlist's Most Anticipated Films list for 2017. Don't forget, Villeneuve already has a movie in the can, the sci-fi "Story Of Your Life," which is a good bet to appear at Cannes. Check out the press release below.

LOS ANGELES, CA, JANUARY 25, 2016 – Sony Pictures Releasing International will distribute Alcon Entertainment’s follow-up to Ridley Scott’s 1982 masterpiece BLADE RUNNER in all overseas territories in all media; with Warner Bros. Pictures distributing in North America and Canada through its output agreement with Alcon, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the film starring Ryan Gosling (The Big Short) and Harrison Ford (Star Wars) who is reprising his role as Rick Deckard. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridley Scott. The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from the late producer Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will produce along with Johnson and Kosove. Bud Yorkin will receive producer credit.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Ridley Scott will also executive produce.

The film marks Villeneuve’s third collaboration with 13-time Oscar nominee Roger Deakins, who will serve as cinematographer, following Alcon’s Prisoners and the hit drug-trafficking drama Sicario, which brought Deakins his latest Oscar nomination.

Principal photography on Villenueve’s new BLADE RUNNER film is scheduled to begin in July 2016.

States Kosove and Johnson: “We are excited to work with Tom Rothman, Michael Lynton and the entire Sony team on this very special project as well as maintaining our important and long-standing relationship with our domestic partner Warner Bros. Pictures.”

States Tom Rothman: “At Sony, we have made a strong commitment to the international marketplace. We know of few projects with greater international potential than the long dreamed of sequel to Blade Runner, especially given the all-star creative team Andrew and Broderick have assembled. We are deeply grateful to everyone at Alcon, Denis and Ridley for entrusting us with such a gift. Working on a Blade Runner film also fulfills a long-time personal ambition, as I deeply love and admire the original.”

Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released in 1982 by Warner Bros. Pictures, BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and was directed by Ridley Scott, following his landmark film, Alien. The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction) and is now regarded by media and cineastes as one of the greatest movies of all time and the defining vision of the cyberpunk genre.

In 1993, BLADE RUNNER was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/denis-villeneuves-blade-runner-2-starring-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford-officially-starts-filming-in-july-20160125

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 10:35 AM

11. "Question...which version of the OG is essential?"
In response to Reply # 0

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Fri Jan-29-16 11:43 AM

12. "the 2007"
In response to Reply # 11

that one is the film that he wanted to make all along.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Jan-31-16 09:05 PM

13. "will it NOT be a boring POS like the first"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not joking

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Jan-31-16 09:42 PM

14. "It's an acquired taste."
In response to Reply # 13

It took me a couple of viewings to get into it. But on a technical standpoint it really was an impactful film.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Feb-04-16 11:11 PM

16. "it really isn't. i've watched it three times"
In response to Reply # 14

it's a boring movie.

if y'all love it. excellent

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Feb-06-16 11:30 AM

17. "I'm down with your point, but I disagree"
In response to Reply # 16

Shit was dope

But I applaud you for not just saying its great cuz
everyone else did

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Oct-05-17 10:17 AM

26. "what makes it an acquired taste?"
In response to Reply # 14

more than most movies anyway or even typical sci-fi?

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Fri Oct-06-17 12:28 AM

27. "When I saw it the first time, I wasn't knowledgeable about film"
In response to Reply # 26

The pacing was too slow for me at the time and much of the plot points are just hinted at rather than stated outright. I might have been in high school when I saw it the first time.

But when I saw it the second time in my early 20's, I was blown away at the nuances and the relationships. I 'grew' to appreciate the quiet nature of the movie.

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Oct-06-17 07:28 AM

28. "i see"
In response to Reply # 27

i saw it in high school as well and enjoyed it. i don't think it took any special knowledge or endurance for me to appreciate, but i'm sure it was one of the first slow paced films i really liked. i think that pacing also helped me appreciate films from then on. for example, i also saw ran in high school, my first kurosawa. i distinctly remember finding it very slow. i then spent college and the years immediately after watching most other kurosawa, which i appreciated more. i also liked blade runner even more the next time i saw it. i don't really think there is anything trying or exclusive about it. its themes are universal deep down, its genre tropes familiar enough even at the time of release, and it's really pretty to look at and listen to. i think it does appeal particularly to a maturity that grows with age, but there are a lot of young people with the right mindset to appreciate it without necessarily being film buffs or sci-fi geeks. to me, this is both mainstream and transcendent enough not to fall under the category of acquired taste, but the pacing and style of cinema subsequent to it don't do people favors coming into it cold now. maybe that will change or already is changing thanks to talents like villeneuve (and nolan, etc.).

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 12:18 PM

23. "haha.. thought it was me. I tried a few times"
In response to Reply # 13

not sure I ever made it to the end without falling asleep

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Mon Feb-01-16 12:46 AM

15. "i'm open to the idea"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Dec-19-16 11:34 AM

18. "after arrival, i'm eager..."
In response to Reply # 0

...to hear jóhann jóhannsson's vanelis impression on the soundtrack. should be good.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon Dec-19-16 11:37 AM

19. "How'd did this not pop up in the search"
In response to Reply # 18

My bad.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 05:55 PM

22. "i still don't get why vangelis isn't involved"
In response to Reply # 18

especially after losing jóhannsson (whose score work is more varied than i previously realized)

Nodima
15297 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 12:42 PM

24. "El-P's little sneak peak sounded cool too."
In response to Reply # 22
Thu Sep-28-17 12:44 PM by Nodima

Zimmer seems like an uninspired choice for this movie, especially in comparison to FlyLo scoring the anime. Hope it works out.

~~~~~~~~~

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 12:55 PM

25. "el totally deserves to score a pk dick movie or show some time"
In response to Reply # 24

that is a match made in heaven. ever see bomb the system? his score was probably the best part about that movie. i can't recall if he's scored anything since.

i really like hans zimmer, and his score will be fine, but among all of these names i have to agree he's an uninspired, albeit highly reliable, choice.

the trailer music is awesome, whoever made it.

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 08:34 AM

21. "the trailers have been very exciting"
In response to Reply # 0

(i don't seek them out, just enjoy seeing the coming attractions)

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #698274 Previous topic | Next topic