Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #697274

Subject: "Pitch Perfect 2 (Elizabeth Banks, 2015)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Pitch Perfect 2 (Elizabeth Banks, 2015)"

This is literally the same exact movie as the first. Move some the characters around and add jailbait I mean Hailee Stienfeld in the role of Becca in the first and it's the same fucking story arc. Add to this this movie is an hour and 55 minutes while the first was an hour in and a half. It got you in and out, now matter how cliche and route it was.

There's a lot of cameos in here from famous people to characters from the first.

This has a few funny moments but that's it. Elizabeth Banks proves herself as a competent director.

The sad thing is Mad Max: Fury Road proves itself to be a more female empowered movie in this (did Becca really need a love interest in the first film? This movie says no. Does jailbait I mean Hailee Stienfeld need a love interest? No) and that movie is gonna get buried by this.

To quote a character from the film "What is this white shit?".

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
my son and wife are dragging me to this
May 06th 2015
I shit you not, this is the same exact movie as the first. Beat for beat...
May 06th 2015
My advice to you
May 08th 2015
i only have one question, do the tonehangers show up?
May 10th 2015
Yes. The new riff off is actually better than what was in the first. nm
May 10th 2015
      excellent, joe truglio is one of my favorite people
May 10th 2015
Callum Hofler wrote a perfect review of this on Letterboxd *swipe*
May 10th 2015
you on letter boxd?
May 21st 2015
      Yea. Inbox me fam. nm
May 21st 2015
If any of you see this over Fury Road this weekend, please
May 15th 2015
Das Sound Machine is funny.
May 21st 2015
I finally gave in and took my son to see this
May 23rd 2015
Caught it on HBO. Awful
Mar 27th 2016

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed May-06-15 04:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "my son and wife are dragging me to this"
In response to Reply # 0

they love the first one. Ive learned to tolerate it because for a while my son watched it every fucking day. The little bit I have seen of this is awful. Not looking forward to it.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

bwood
8614 posts
Wed May-06-15 05:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I shit you not, this is the same exact movie as the first. Beat for beat..."
In response to Reply # 1

Take the first and the Mighty Ducks 2 and you get this.

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Fri May-08-15 12:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "My advice to you"
In response to Reply # 1

Stay up all night before you see this, find a reason to do it.

During the move, fall the hell asleep.

Wife and Kids see movie
you get a nap
everyone is happy
profit

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun May-10-15 01:16 PM

4. "i only have one question, do the tonehangers show up?"
In response to Reply # 0

my favorite part of the whole movie

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121215103552/pitch-perfect/images/thumb/a/a7/Tonehangers.jpg/330px-Tonehangers.jpg

bwood
8614 posts
Sun May-10-15 01:19 PM

5. "Yes. The new riff off is actually better than what was in the first. nm"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun May-10-15 01:19 PM by bwood

NM

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Sun May-10-15 07:27 PM

7. "excellent, joe truglio is one of my favorite people"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun May-10-15 07:37 PM by GriftyMcgrift

on earth

bwood
8614 posts
Sun May-10-15 01:41 PM

6. "Callum Hofler wrote a perfect review of this on Letterboxd *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

He gave it a whole star more than I did. But this is still accurate.

Review by Callum Hofler ★★½

Included on:
2015 Watches

I despise being the most cynical person in any given room. I love the fact that I can enjoy virtually any film, whether it be romance, comedy, thriller, horror, sport, biopic or chick-flicks. I am not influenced by the stereotypical genres male teenagers are indoctrinated into believing are "appropriate" to appreciating, and when watching films, I (generally) don't verbally denigrate the happenings on screen in a feeble attempt to seem sardonic, intelligent or witty by any companions. There are exceptions (last night's Insidious a prime example), but for the most part, I always attempt to maintain a positive retrospect on any film I see, no matter how bad or good the film actually is. If something is laughably atrocious, that's a positive! It doesn't mean I enjoy every film I see, or I won't shit on Iron Man 2 the next time it pops up on television; it just means that I attempt to see the good in as much as possible.

And believe me when I say this, but I tried for Pitch Perfect 2. Take this into consideration when reading this: I absolutely loathe the original. Jason Moore's most prolific feature is a cliche-ridden, intellectually-lacking, melodramatic, trite and monotonous exploitation of those infatuated with Glee and unremarkable pop music. It's terribly acted, terribly written, terribly captured, but worst of all, terribly obnoxious. But everyone adored Rebel Wilson making fun of her weight (which I will admit was the best part of the film and did make me chuckle numerous times) and couldn't get enough of Anna Kendrick's remarkably predictable approach to a protagonist who featured no individual characteristics, so in foreseeable Hollywood fashion, a sequel was prompted. With Moore unable to devote full responsibility to the direction of this sequel, actress and member of the first picture's cast herself Elizabeth Banks decided to step in and fill the void Moore's departure left. And Banks has provided, fortunately for us, a somewhat funny, if not overtly lackluster and redundant continuation of the Pitch Perfect franchise. How jolly.

In all fairness, I expected a film of a far worse quality than what was provided. A first-time director; the sequel to a picture I absolutely detest; a terrible trailer prompting no anticipation; it could have turned into an absolute train-wreck. Fortunately, Banks and returning screenwriter Kay Cannon managed to instill a feeling of fluency that the first feature entirely lacked. It compensates for many of the tired cliches, stupid one-liners, overdone plot lines and general idiocy, but not wholly. Instead of crafting a purely atrocious chick-flick, Banks and Cannon have supplied a significantly superior, funny, almost intelligent and mediocre film. It's preferable to what we could have got. But virtually anything is preferable to what I was preparing myself for from the look of the initial trailer. So there's that.

Pitch Perfect 2 encounters all the concerns that seem to naturally occur within follow-up's which really aren't necessary for either the characters, their plights nor their relationships. It retreads numerous details from Pitch Perfect, both minor and substantial in terms of effect on plot, it's visually standardized despite efforts from cinematographer Jim Denault, and the entire escapade feels stilted. Its vast ensemble of personalities sometimes overwhelm the feature, the screenplay trying to discern character from the multitude of blank faces present but oft-times failing miserably. Some characters just fall into generic stereotypes; there is a Mexican singer whose only role is to continuously make fun of her own people, the jokes about her impending deportation drawing little amusement from the audience after the second iteration (and there are many more to come afterwards). The climax is simply tired tropes amassing together, a forced and blatant sense of sentimentality permeating every moment the Barden Bellas are on stage. At its worst, Pitch Perfect 2 illustrates exactly why I hold such vivid and immense disdain for its predecessor, only we have a few additional faces pervading the frame.

In its defense, the film is most certainly funnier than its precursor, Rebel Wilson in particular injecting some much needed humour. Despite the lack of substance that many of the storylines we are subjected to contain, they are rendered entertaining due to generally positive performances and some witty comedic dialogue. For every moment where Banks makes obvious her lack of experience within direction or something feels oddly forced, there is a joke, invigorating musical performance or gloriously indulgent set-piece that brings a smile to one's face. Sometimes the film is too crass for its own good, the amount of humour focused on shitting all over certain nationalities unnecessary. I'm not a prude; I just find it lazy to make German, Australian, etc, jokes in place of anything that requires legitimate thought to conjure up. But for the most part, the film is pretty darn entertaining, and that's a big positive.

It's a strange battle. Part of me wishes to award a positive rating due to how much I laughed, but I fear that was the effect of the people I was with, and the infectious quality of their chuckles and comments. Another part of me wants to disparage the picture for its narrative incompetence, technical lack-of-remarkability and cliche-ridden structure. I'll settle with an average rating. It's mediocre; nothing worthy of considerable discussion, much as the musical performances, the main point of these features, are. There are some entertaining, evocative and genuinely brilliant performances on offer, namely the antagonistic group's rendition of Muse's Uprising (despite it being one of the less impressive singles from The Resistance). There are also some terribly unengaging, overbearing acts that don't provoke anything more than mild amusement from even the most enthusiastic of audience members. At the end of it all, the film earns a negative rating, but it's nothing exceptionally bad. Approach with caution for detractors of the initial outing, but for fans of Pitch Perfect, I presume you'll enjoy yourself fine enough with this mostly derivative if not somewhat fun foray into the melodramatic world of competitive acappella.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu May-21-15 12:59 PM

10. "you on letter boxd?"
In response to Reply # 6

bwood
8614 posts
Thu May-21-15 01:28 PM

11. "Yea. Inbox me fam. nm"
In response to Reply # 10

bwood
8614 posts
Fri May-15-15 08:41 AM

8. "If any of you see this over Fury Road this weekend, please "
In response to Reply # 0

kill yourself quickly and swiftly.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu May-21-15 01:42 AM

9. "Das Sound Machine is funny."
In response to Reply # 0

The movie itself is shapeless and endless.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Sat May-23-15 02:35 AM

12. "I finally gave in and took my son to see this"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat May-23-15 02:42 AM by RobOne4

fuck was this awful. I am not a huge fan of the first film. But it has some good performances (opening treble performance, riff-off, and finale). It had some really funny moments. But overall it just wasnt for me.

Pitch Perfect 2 was like a straight to DVD sequel. The jokes were not funny. The running joke they had where Becca had bad come backs never even got a chuckle from our full theater. Sadly the 2 announcers who killed in the last never really got going until the finale. That Korean line was pretty funny. The latin Bella that was added to the group was not funny. Bumper was hilarious in the first movie. Not so much in this one. Fat Amy was the exact same character with the same jokes. Benji and his awkwardness was bad also. Like seriously our theater barely laughed. It wasnt just me. My wife who loves the first was shooting me looks through out the whole movie because of how bad it was.

Also the movie was fucking long. Like a solid half hour to long. They could have cut that last bad performance and trimmed the team building crap.

David Cross and the new Riff-Off were the highlight of the movie. The Packers stole the show.

The performances were really lacking this time around. That Trebles performance at the orientation was really bad. DSM was awful. The over the top German accents and persona really killed it for me. It was like the German team from Dodgeball started an acapella group after being eliminated. They sounded silly during performances. The leaders of the team were like cartoon characters. I didnt recognize most of the songs being covered this time around, especially during DSM's performances. The final Bella's performance started off really good then it went downhill with that original song. I think the movie was worse than I thought it would be. That in itself is an accomplishment.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Sun Mar-27-16 11:29 PM

13. "Caught it on HBO. Awful"
In response to Reply # 0

Key's far and away the funniest part.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #697274 Previous topic | Next topic